Page 255 of 311 FirstFirst ... 155205245251252253254255256257258259265305 ... LastLast
Results 6,351 to 6,375 of 7755

Thread: George informs Pacers of intent to Leave: Woj

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: George informs Pacers of intent to Leave: Woj

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For sure. Paul George was the reason why I felt Indiana would eventually beat Cleveland. Say what you want, but there's denying that he wanted to beat LeBron badly.
    I think he wanted to impress lebron. When you want to beat someone badly you aren't fist bumping them in the middle of a game. There's a level of disdain required.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Paul George and what though?

I think even he realized it wasn't going to happen here. Sure he would prefer to play for the Lakers but I can't help but think somebody else is going there or is likely to go there that we don't know about.

I don't buy that PG just wants to go "home" as the main reason. The Lakers with Magic's personable cache can attract more FAs than Indiana ever could with Larry's gruff outdated ways.
    Although people give Bird crap about it, I have tough time believing that Free Agents consider Indiana a destination unless we're throwing a boatload of money at them. The Old Heads on this board might prove me wrong, but I feel Indiana has RARELY signed a big time free agent. In my mind, I can't really fault Bird for that. If no one wants to come, then no one wants to come. I find it amazing that Indiana is still able to make the playoffs most years than not given the circumstances.

I still believe that was the case regarding PG going to LA, but I think Magic not trading for Paul George on draft night might have changed Paul George's mind. Then you throw in how Magic is calling Ball the new face of the franchise and such. Paul George is probably pissed off at the moment that he's still a Pacers, but he's probably more pissed that he's not a Laker.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    I think he wanted to impress lebron. When you want to beat someone badly you aren't fist bumping them in the middle of a game. There's a level of disdain required.
    This is why PG sucks. The "PG" brand benefits from aligning himself with LeBron James, the biggest star in the NBA. Paul would rather focus on his brand by being cool with Lebron, than simply trying to beat him as a basketball player
    Being unable to close out a game in which you have a comfortable lead in the 4th Q = Pulling a Frank Vogel

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Man, I think it's just this generation of players in general. Call this Old Man talk, but the current generation of players work my nerves bad.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Although people give Bird crap about it, I have tough time believing that Free Agents consider Indiana a destination unless we're throwing a boatload of money at them. The Old Heads on this board might prove me wrong, but I feel Indiana has RARELY signed a big time free agent. In my mind, I can't really fault Bird for that. If no one wants to come, then no one wants to come. I find it amazing that Indiana is still able to make the playoffs most years than not given the circumstances.

I still believe that was the case regarding PG going to LA, but I think Magic not trading for Paul George on draft night might have changed Paul George's mind. Then you throw in how Magic is calling Ball the new face of the franchise and such. Paul George is probably pissed off at the moment that he's still a Pacers, but he's probably more pissed that he's not a Laker.
    Old head here: Can confirm, Indiana has never signed a big name free agent.

David West by far and away is the biggest free agent signing (other than our own I mean) in the history of our club and I will include the ABA as well and there is no close second.

Byron Scott might have been the second biggest free agent signing and that was over 20 years ago now.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

There's probably an element of truth to that but I have no problem believing PG wanted to beat LeBron. With the exception of Russ, all superstars show respect to each other like that.
    "In 49 states it's just basketball ... but this is Indiana."

Vince Carter on the jump said the other day that bad teams stay bad because they don't want to spend the money and free agents don't want to go there because of it, I immediately thought about the Pacers and their refusal to spend money.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post

David West by far and away is the biggest free agent signing (other than our own I mean) in the history of our club and I will include the ABA as well and there is no close second.

Byron Scott might have been the second biggest free agent signing and that was over 20 years ago now.
    Whoa...seriously? It was kinda a tongue in cheek comment, because I thought Indiana would have a couple here and there during the 80s and 90s. Basically in 30 years, David West was the "biggest" FA signing. Wow...that's kinda depressing.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Vince Carter on the jump said the other day that bad teams stay bad because they don't want to spend the money and free agents don't want to go there because of it, I immediately thought about the Pacers and their refusal to spend money.
    Depending on your perspective, do you consider Indiana to be a forever "bad" team? Also, what's the definition of spending money? I've been on this board for some time, and I have some crazy amounts thrown out over the years by members. At times, it feels like want players to come to Indiana below their market "value". Currently, people are tripping over paying $10M to Jefferson after a salary cap explosion. I can't imagine what it would be like if Indiana paid Teague $25M, because that's what the market dictates.

Sports Logo

Lance is now in the category of free agent signings. I'm just sayin....

Wouldn't you say that because we never had the cap space to sign a big name free agent when we were good? And no one big-name free agent will sign here when we aren't that good.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    Wouldn't you say that because we never had the cap space to sign a big name free agent when we were good? And no one big-name free agent will sign here when we aren't that good.
    Sounds like a vicious circle.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    the summer we signed West was the first year we had actual cap space since like 95 or something.

Depending on your perspective, do you consider Indiana to be a forever "bad" team? Also, what's the definition of spending money? I've been on this board for some time, and I have some crazy amounts thrown out over the years by members. At times, it feels like want players to come to Indiana below their market "value". Currently, people are tripping over paying $10M to Jefferson after a salary cap explosion. I can't imagine what it would be like if Indiana paid Teague $25M, because that's what the market dictates.
    I mean going after Jrue or guys like that instead of going for Hayward or Butler, fact is they don't do it because they have to spend money.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    the summer we signed West was the first year we had actual cap space since like 95 or something.
    That's why a lot of this makes zero sense. It is extremely hard to sign a Big Name FA if you are already spending into the LT. You need to somehow have the perfect storm of spending into the LT and having all your big contracts expire the same year the big FA is available, then renounce those cap holds and pray your offer is acceptyed - otherwise you lose both the Big Name FA AND every one of your own FAs whom you renounced because they can all get more money elsewhere.
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

23. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

I completey disagree with Vince, that's total rubbish.
    Garbage players get 1st round picks, (WTF)! All of the NBA must hate the Pacers! LOL

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I mean going after Jrue or guys like that instead of going for Hayward or Butler, fact is they don't do it because they have to spend money.
    A lot of this makes no sense. It has been shown we can go after a player like that without going into the LT, which is all Simon has ever required. I really think Bird being convinced he can get great guys for cheap was more of an issue than any commands from ownership. Something to the effect of, "Herb gave me a budget of X and I thought I could get 4 really great guys who cost us mid-level rather than spend on one guy" seems like a Larry thing.

ETA: especially when those 4 guys turn out to be problems for one reason or another.
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

But that's assuming Hayward said yes to begin with....

28. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Hold on...how long was Bird in control???? Who was calling the shots during the 80s and 90s?

Sports Logo

Cabbages is still rocking that haircut?

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

But that's assuming Hayward said yes to begin with....
    Or Cousins, teams like the Pacers didn't want to take on Cousins because they were gonna have to pay him.

Also we don't even know if they even thought about having a meeting with Hayward, my guess is they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    A lot of this makes no sense. It has been shown we can go after a player like that without going into the LT, which is all Simon has ever required. I really think Bird being convinced he can get great guys for cheap was more of an issue than any commands from ownership. Something to the effect of, "Herb gave me a budget of X and I thought I could get 4 really great guys who cost us mid-level rather than spend on one guy" seems like a Larry thing.

ETA: especially when those 4 guys turn out to be problems for one reason or another.
    Bird would have got Rudy Gay this year no question about it.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

This is why we should have built around Born Ready

Sports Logo

Hold on...how long was Bird in control???? Who was calling the shots during the 80s and 90s?
    Donnie took over in 86. that's when things started changing and people in my generation (born in 84) have never really known a TERRIBLE Pacers, unless you were huge on the NBA when you were like 6.