Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Look who we ran into last night... :)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Look who we ran into last night... :)

Heya Peck, this one's for you:

Was walking into Pint Room in downtown Carmel last night and out walked Frank Vogel and his wife. Of course, I immediately said "Hey Frank! Good to see you!", and he flashed his big ole smile and shook my hand. Wanting to respect his privacy, I let him go on his way. I was also very thirsty for a beer.

For those of you who met me at the forum party, you know I have a hardcore fan of a 10yo son that shares the addiction.

Well, he didn't realize who I was talking to at the time. When I told him it was Frank, he instinctively ran out of the restaurant and chased him down. He called out for Frank and said "Hey Frank! I'm a big fan!" (so proud ). Frank loved that naturally and so did his wife. My wife and I ran out to get him, and I apologized for the extra intrusion. On the contrary, he said "Gosh no, my wife is trying to figure out where we are going next. So you're into the Pacers?"

That kicked off a 5 minute conversation and photo session, LOL. Among the things I thought it'd be interesting to share:

- He misses being here big time. I asked him if he'd come back if he was given the offer. His response: "in a minute". I'm originally from Florida, so we commiserated on how "crazy" Florida is. His wife straight up doesn't like living there. They've kept their house here in Indy, and their plans to keep it are year to year, but he said "What's not to love about this?" waving his hand around downtown Carmel. He said he's had a great week back "home", and they will spend as much time here as the job allows. I got a strong sense that he's trying to hang onto the opportunity to get back here in some way. If he's not coaching, there's no question he's living here.

- I asked him if he keeps in touch with Pritchard. He said they talk regularly, and I asked if that indicated any movement towards him coming back. He said "no, they've got a thing going with Nate for now"

- I asked him what he thought PG was going to do. His first response: "Paul likes being in Indy a lot more than is portrayed." While when I pushed him, he said there's always the possibility he leaves, but he seemed convinced that the more likely outcome is PG trying to figure out how to stay here.

- I asked him what he thought would come of Turner. His response: "He's special. A regular fixture in the All Star game. 5 years ago, I would have groomed him as a PF, but I think he's best as a center. His midrange game is what will set him apart." Talked about playing him at the 4 as a changeup strategy from time to time.

- I lamented with him about his circumstance in Orlando. I said I could see the writing on the wall with the mismatched pieces he was given and he certainly validated that he felt he was left with a difficult hand of cards to play with. The more interesting thing he said though was that his bigger problem is that there's no clear leader, a lot of younger pieces, and that creates all sorts of downstream issues. "We really need a more senior experienced high level player. It all starts there."

He's even better in person than I would have imagined. Exudes positive energy through every pore, very affable, but loves to talk and is exceptionally personable. Can't help but to smile. The kind of guy I could easily imagine having a few beers with. Wife was very nice and equally chatty with my wife.

Thought you all (especially Peck) would enjoy the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. The Following 46 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Look who we ran into last night... :)

I was one who wanted frank gone, now we have nate, I miss frank

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PacerPenguins For This Useful Post:

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Thats AWESOME! Thanks for sharing that! He's easily twice the coach Nate is, though I do feel Nate's probably a real nice guy in person too. Yup... always been a Frank-fan.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mourning For This Useful Post:

Peck as soon as he saw that picture

@WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Peck as soon as he saw that picture

2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mourning For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

He would have been a great coach for Butler.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Bird did a lot of stupid things the past few years, nothing was more dumb than not re-signing Frank.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Bird did a lot of stupid things the past few years, nothing was more dumb than not re-signing Frank.
    A close second was dumping on Granger. I was in agreement he needed traded, but it was the way he was moved after giving his heart and soul to the team. You don't build player loyalty doing that to a good soldier and franchise player. That is a factor into whether guys like Paul George decide to stay.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

While I agree it was a bad move, I am not sure it was the worst thing he did, he had to approve the Danny trade and that was terrible. Frank was a very good coach but he made some terrible mistakes in playoff games. I would hope he would learn from it but he lost us at least one game against Miami a few years ago and at least one game against Toronto his last year. Of course maybe we never get to that position without him.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    A close second was dumping on Granger. I was in agreement he needed traded, but it was the way he was moved after giving his heart and soul to the team. You don't build player loyalty doing that to a good soldier and franchise player. That is a factor into whether guys like Paul George decide to stay.

With that one move Bird made it loud and clear that there was NO loyalty at all to the Players any more and if PG does leave that will have been a factor I have no doubt whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    With that one move Bird made it loud and clear that there was NO loyalty at all to the Players any more and if PG does leave that will have been a factor I have no doubt whatsoever.
    Agreed. I said "dumping on" because he treated Granger as rubbish. Put him out at the curb to be picked up by Ray's Trash and taken to Philly. I realize people think there is no loyalty in the NBA. That's fine. I understand. But players are human beings and you just can't get away with doing that without there being a cost. I recall DWest and George Hill being interviewed near one of the tunnels about the Granger trade...backing and walking away. I think maybe shaking their heads. It was not good I can assure you.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Great story. I would have just assumed Frank would have been politely cordial and trying to get on with his private life. The way you describe it, he is as personable and amiable out in public as he appears to be on the airwaves. Love it.
    "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Not completely irreparable though. . That's a very clear sense I walked away with.

Let's face it, Nate isn't going to survive long term. The question becomes: who is next?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's officially the off-season when docpaul posts a story about running into a current or former pacer

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

If KG and Pierce got traded anybody can, Danny should have been traded waaaaayyyy before the time Bird did it.

I also love how Pierce is OK with it until today, he is even proud of been able to help the Celtics by netting them all those picks, I really wish we had a GM with those type of cojones.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    Not completely irreparable though. . That's a very clear sense I walked away with.

Let's face it, Nate isn't going to survive long term. The question becomes: who is next?

Unfortunately that still means Frank needs to get fired from Orlando first

Anyway great story and thanks for sharing!

Cool story. It seems like so many former Pacers/Colts people stay in Indy long after they are done with those organizations. It really says a lot about the pleasantness of the community. Most of these people could afford to be anywhere they want.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    If KG and Pierce got traded anybody can, Danny should have been traded waaaaayyyy before the time Bird did it.

I also love how Pierce is OK with it until today, he is even proud of been able to help the Celtics by netting them all those picks, I really wish we had a GM with those type of cojones.

The Granger trade made sense. Granger was finished as a player while Turner was averaging like 17 PPG. We needed bench production and went all in against Miami.

Firing Vogel and then replacing him with an inferior coach just makes no sense whatsoever. Between that and the contracts to the likes of Monta/Jefferson/Stuckey, it was time for Bird to go.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    I think you put a little too much emphasis on that trade. I'm surprised you don't blame Monta burning lettuce on the Granger trade.

It backfired, no doubt. In hindsight, I obviously would have rather not done it since Turner was such a disaster. That being said, in the "Heat" of the moment it was a no-brainier. We needed a bench to beat Miami in a series. That's why we lost in 2013.

I'll always maintain that Turner never should have been as big of a disaster here. We should have got more out of him.

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I think you put a little too much emphasis on that trade. I'm surprised you don't blame Monta burning lettuce on the Granger trade.

It backfired, no doubt. In hindsight, I obviously would have rather not done it since Turner was such a disaster. That being said, in the "Heat" of the moment it was a no-brainier. We needed a bench to beat Miami in a series. That's why we lost in 2013.

I'll always maintain that Turner never should have been as big of a disaster here. We should have got more out of him.

Yep and I blame the coach for that.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

And now I'm sad...

38. The Following User Says Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

Default Look who we ran into last night... :)

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Unfortunately that still means Frank needs to get fired from Orlando first

Anyway great story and thanks for sharing!
    Scotty Skiles and Jason Kidd would disagree, but of course you're right: it'd be difficult to align timing and circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post

The assets being exchanged was not the problem. I actually supported that and would even do it againg. Danny Granger isn't even in the league now. Turner is at least playing.

But it was the WAY the trade came down. Make no mistake. It was part of the issue the team had down the road...and maybe even now. In fact, Bird may have been fired in part due to the way he treated players. We know JOb was fired because of that.

I didn't have a problem with them parting ways from Frank I think he took this team as far as it could go. I had an issue with how Larry handled it and he went with Nate as his replacement. If you are going to replace Vogel I expect an upgrade not a lateral move.

42. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

This would be a good time for a thread about people's encounters with sports celebs and regular celebs. Probably been one on here before, but just saying. I've seen Jeff Foster in the Carmel Meijer store before, but didn't approach him. My sister saw George Hill in the Anderson Casino and said he was cool.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post: