Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul George: Goal remains the same, win a championship with the Pacers.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Paul George: Goal remains the same, win a championship with the Pacers.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The thing is many thought Durant would stay in OKC until almost a year ago he shocked the NBA landscape and went to Golden State instead.

The list goes on of players who many expected to stay with the same franchise only to go elsewhere for whatever reason.

I don't think its that hard to believe that Paul George may be next.

You could be right he may stay but I don't think people who believe he won't are completely crazy thinking this either.
    In not saying it's crazy to think he could leave. I'm saying the mania and frenzy around this is crazy. He has never made any indication of leaving. But there are rumors upon rumors out there. Sometimes you can read a situation and say ya that's going to end, but I just don't get that with Paul.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Paul George: Goal remains the same, win a championship with the Pacers.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Look in the past I have been the first to throw out the cynicism card never believing a single thing that any PR piece wants me to believe. But in this case I think the truth may just in fact be what is being said at face value. I think Paul wants to be a Pacer, i think he wants to win a title here. I believe that he is giving the team a chance to get players around him so that he can compete right here and right now. Does that mean he won't leave in a year? No, it means what it means. He will play out his contract and if we get say a Hayward or similar to him to come here and he can go into a deep EC finals run then i think he signs long term. If we go garbage bin shopping again (Ellis, Allen, Jefferson, Stuckey, Craperland, Miles, the list goes on) and we barely make it to the playoffs and flameout while he puts up superstar numbers then he goes to the team that give him the best chance to win.

That is why I say go all in right now. Trade picks, trade Turner if you have to but do whatever it is you have to do to bring in talent to give Paul a chance.

I guess this is my version of joining the sunshine brigade for a slice of sun pie.
    I think there are quite a few that would agree with you that PG would love to stay a Pacer if we can put together a competitive team. Problem is putting together a competitive team by the time his contact is up seems incredibly unrealistic. Even if a miracle happened and we brought back the same team but replaced CJ with Hayward, I still don't think we get a top 4 seed. Between Bird trading away picks and signing absolute scrubs, our cupboard is pretty bare. Maybe we Pritch Slap someone and rob them blind to improve the team in an unexpected way, but that seems like a heck of thing to hang your hopes on.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wage For This Useful Post:

Look in the past I have been the first to throw out the cynicism card never believing a single thing that any PR piece wants me to believe. But in this case I think the truth may just in fact be what is being said at face value. I think Paul wants to be a Pacer, i think he wants to win a title here. I believe that he is giving the team a chance to get players around him so that he can compete right here and right now. Does that mean he won't leave in a year? No, it means what it means. He will play out his contract and if we get say a Hayward or similar to him to come here and he can go into a deep EC finals run then i think he signs long term. If we go garbage bin shopping again (Ellis, Allen, Jefferson, Stuckey, Craperland, Miles, the list goes on) and we barely make it to the playoffs and flameout while he puts up superstar numbers then he goes to the team that give him the best chance to win.

That is why I say go all in right now. Trade picks, trade Turner if you have to but do whatever it is you have to do to bring in talent to give Paul a chance.

I guess this is my version of joining the sunshine brigade for a slice of sun pie.
    Paul is good enough to have this kind of faith. I have never advocated trading him unless they are pretty sure he will leave for nothing. I would ride this thing out.

- Dark
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Paul spoke way more about this tonight than he had to. Which is a good sign IMO for those believing he will stay. He very easily could have just said, "I'm under contract for the Pacers. So unless someone tells me different, I plan on being at camp in October."

He said more. He said quite a bit more.

I think his ideal choice would be to be a Pacer for life that has a highly competitive roster. That if his options were a very good team in Indiana or a very good team in LA, Cleveland, etc.....he chooses Indiana.

BUT, he wants to win and he knows he doesn't have forever to wait. So he will give us everything he has, but if the organization can't hold up their end then he will be forced to seek opportunity elsewhere.

I'm in the Hayward believer camp. In that if the Pacers were able sign him, keep Turner, sign Teague, find a way to jettison Ellis and Jefferson (or stretch provision), trade our 1st pick to pickup a serviceable rebounding big like Trevor Booker to make up for Myles weaknesses, that it would be competitive and convince Paul to resign.

C- Turner/Allen/Christmas
    PF- Booker/Thad/Christmas
    SF- George/GR3
    SG- Hayward/Lance/2nd rd pick
    PG- Teague/Lance/filler 3rd pg

I think that roster, if healthy, becomes the number one challenger for Lebron in this conference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diamond Dave For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post

C- Turner/Allen/Christmas
    PF- Booker/Thad/Christmas
    SF- George/GR3
    SG- Hayward/Lance/2nd rd pick
    PG- Teague/Lance/filler 3rd pg

I think that roster, if healthy, becomes the number one challenger for Lebron in this conference.
    If that roster is achievable I think Paul stays beyond next year.

That said, do we have any eggs in any non Hayward baskets? It appears he is plan A, B, and C for instant improvement and I would think by now Pritchard would have some indication as to whether we are in the race at all. The draft might provide some insight on this front.
    "He's a strong physical presence out there on both ends of the court. He's a man. There's a reason he was an All-Star." -- Vogel on David West

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think Paul is hell-bent on leaving the Pacers, and I don't think we'd even be having this conversation if Larry didn't screw up the West/Hibbert cap space and excoriate both players in public on their way out. Bird had an opportunity to make smart moves and keep this team among the upper tier teams in the East and he screwed up. It is an awful lot to ask of KP to fix this is one offseason.

If you are trading Myles you better get a Butler back. I think people severely underestimate what Turner already brings to the table and more to come VERY soon.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Paul also said he thinks the Pacers are the closest to beating the Cavs. Which is a great sign for the Pacers as well that he believes that. Come on Pritchard! Get Hayward to Indy and let's make a run!

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to brownjake43 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

One of the things the Pacers did especially when Bird was involved was to do just about the opposite of what the star player wanted, J.O. signed a new contract and they immediately dumped whoever it was he wanted to stay. They traded Danny without consulting PG hell they took calls about PG without telling him. I think Pritchard has said he would at the bare minimum keep him in the loop or maybe even take his advice on roster moves. We all know LeBron is the real GM in Cleveland maybe PG wants at least a little bit of influence, that would never have happened under Bird.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by brownjake43 View Post
    Paul also said he thinks the Pacers are the closest to beating the Cavs. Which is a great sign for the Pacers as well that he believes that. Come on Pritchard! Get Hayward to Indy and let's make a run!
    I missed that quote - where'd you see it? Let's hope PG can convince a top-tier free agent of the same thing and make our own little super-team to go after LeBron!
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    I missed that quote - where'd you see it? Let's hope PG can convince a top-tier free agent of the same thing and make our own little super-team to go after LeBron!
    The exact quote was along the lines of:

"It's hard not to believe we are close because we did the best against Cleveland of anyone (in the East) and we could have won that series. At the same time, we need some more talent"

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...-make-upgrades

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brownjake43 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    He's under contract. What's he supposed to say? "My goal is to win a championship with the Lakers, not the team that currently owns my contract?"
    Nothing. It's better to say nothing than to lie.

Or the obligatory "I'm committed to this season blah blah blah."

P.S. Stop pissing in our Cheerios.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    The media is trying to push George to Cleveland now.
    That narrative's been going around since before the Finals ended.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

sav

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    If Paul wants to win a championship, why would he stay in Indiana?
    If Paul wants to win a championship, why would he go to the Lakers?

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Paul sounded uncommitted in being a part of the teams meetings with Free Agents. Wants to save face because he isn't sure about the Pacers. That pisses me off. If you want KP to build you a contender in one off season, then you better be in the meetings.

if he isn't willing to put his rep on the line to attract better talent to the team, then the team isn't getting any better this offseason.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

I'm not sure why anyone believes that he actually wants to stay. Does he seem like the type to want to stay in Indiana? He is going to KD us, and we don't have a Westbrook to fall back on. I would literally bet everything I have this is what is going to happen if we don't trade him. He's saying what he has to, and he was at an event representing the Pacers. What else is he supposed to say? The whole, "I'm under contract with the Pacers" comment is as unenthusiastic as you can get. However, the biggest concern should be how in the world is Pritchard going to put anyone worthwhile around him? It's simply not feasible under our current cap situation, and you'd have to coerce someone to play here. It's just not going to happen. We have nothing to trade outside of Turner and our draft pick, and that absolutely shouldn't happen.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to MUpaceSIC For This Useful Post:

Ok lets say they go all in and get Howard, Hayward, Gay, that is still not enough to get pass Cleveland or even touch Golden State, Pacers going all in is the equivalent of what Toronto did this year and look how they did with Derosan, Lowry, Ibaka and that whole group.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Ok lets say they go all in and get Howard, Hayward, Gay, that is still not enough to get pass Cleveland or even touch Golden State, Pacers going all in is the equivalent of what Toronto did this year and look how they did with Derosan, Lowry, Ibaka and that whole group.
    Are you kidding? Paul, Hayward and Turner would be enough to have a good chance at beating Cleveland. Adding Howard to that would make us favorites.

No one is beating Golden State unless something crazy happens...like the Pacers trade Paul to Cleveland.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:

It's absolutely possible to win a championship in Indiana if the right pieces fall into place. We've been to the Finals and, what, eight conference finals?

Five years ago, who would have believed that Cleveland and Golden State would not only win championships, but dominate the league?

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by brownjake43 View Post
    The exact quote was along the lines of:

"It's hard not to believe we are close because we did the best against Cleveland of anyone (in the East) and we could have won that series. At the same time, we need some more talent"

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...-make-upgrades
    Could have won that series? lol come on Paul. You could barely make it to .500

Sports Logo

***** it...

I'm going to resign as VP of the "Trade Paul George this Summer" Administration.

If he gives Indiana Playoffs Paul George all next season, then I'm going to take him at his word. If anything, my take was that he REALLY wants the DPE money, and next season will be his last chance.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    Are you kidding? Paul, Hayward and Turner would be enough to have a good chance at beating Cleveland. Adding Howard to that would make us favorites.

No one is beating Golden State unless something crazy happens...like the Pacers trade Paul to Cleveland.

Yeah no, Hayward is nice and all but he is not the super star some around here are thinking he is, he is at best your 3rd wheel on a championship team.

Also Howard is there to be had for free for a reason, because you can't play him at the end of games or when the other team goes small.

In reality there are not easy fixes this year that are going to make PG hopeful about the future.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Could have won that series? lol come on Paul. You could barely make it to .500
    played them better than anyone else in the east, including the #1 seed.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Handoverfist For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Handoverfist View Post
    played them better than anyone else in the east, including the #1 seed.
    Not going to be turn this thread into another one of those debates. there's about 6 already

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:

I just think the two rumors PG to Cleveland and PG to LA. The only thing about PG to LA we've ever heard is "It's close to home" and so many rumblings. I just don't really buy it from Paul's perspective yet, maybe he wants to see another year of what the young guys the Lakers have do this year.

I do buy PG wanting to win. So the Cleveland thing makes some sense, but even then I'm not sure that really solves the equation.