Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul George: Goal remains the same, win a championship with the Pacers.

Default Paul George: Goal remains the same, win a championship with the Pacers.

And I still think Bird was fired...

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Paul George: Goal remains the same, win a championship with the Pacers.

He's under contract. What's he supposed to say? "My goal is to win a championship with the Lakers, not the team that currently owns my contract?"

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Paul George: Goal remains the same, win a championship with the Pacers.

Can't achieve that with an owner who isn't willing to spend for a small market team.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaulGeorgeForPresident For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's under contract. What's he supposed to say? "My goal is to win a championship with the Lakers, not the team that currently owns my contract?"
    "I'm not thinking about my next contract, just focusing on this season and giving 110% to this city and team."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

Why no Gordon Hayward questions?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Grimp For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    "I'm not thinking about my next contract, just focusing on this season and giving 110% to this city and team."
    Which is basically what was said in different wording. No mention of his contract or any other team or city outside is current one.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Bring in Hayward! I swear if the Pacers get a meeting with him and PG is there, it's a lock

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BornIndy07 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Which is basically what was said in different wording. No mention of his contract or any other team or city outside is current one.
    Nate asked him about his future as a Pacer, not just one season. That was a separate question.

That's a nice thing for him to say not sure I believe it at face value.

That could change if LeBrat is dumb enough to go West the Eastern Conference is up for grabs in which case he has a better shot here than elsewhere.

*unless he teams up with LeBron in LA

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

None of the quotes so far today move the needle for me either way. In fact the only one that provided much insight was Myles Turner saying PG had given no indication of his intentions.
    "He's a strong physical presence out there on both ends of the court. He's a man. There's a reason he was an All-Star." -- Vogel on David West

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Willbo For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

And that's pretty much proof that the only thing Paul can do right around here would be to sign a contract in blood that he never wants another raise as long as he can stay a Pacer the rest of his life - and even then people would be crapping all over the fact he didn't take a pay cut.

How you translate "... to win a championship with the Pacers" into anything other than "I want to stay" is beyond me.

ETA: And, no, that's not a promise, but it certainly means we have the chance to convince him we're moving the team the right direction.
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

19. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

The media is trying to push George to Cleveland now.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

sav

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

I hope for the summer Paul gets a chance to, at least briefly, get away from all the people asking him the same ****ing question every day.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    The media is trying to push George to Cleveland now.
    I can accept Paul leaving and playing anywhere else but teaming up with LeBron.

He's joining Artest, Peja and others in my Anti Pacers list if that comes to pass.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

sav

Paul is currently a Pacer. Yes, until he's not a Pacer his goal "remains the same"...for now.

If I'm Paul, I KNOW my goal has no chance of happening. Notice he says "championship"...not "get to the finals". Paul HAS to know he's not winning a title in Indiana. The Pacers couldn't compete with a team that could not compete with the champions. It's insane to think Paul can reach his goal in Indiana, especially with the state of the league now. We have a messed up weak roster.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

27. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hope this means something but rhetoric from other players in the past makes it hard to read too much unto it.

"I don't really think about anywhere else. I hear it all the time, don't get me wrong, and once you hear it you're kind of like (thinking about it). But for me, I love staying in the moment, and I'm one of those guys that would love to stick it out with one team my whole career. Kobe (Bryant), Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki type. That's awesome. But you never know what the future holds sometimes and how teams may feel about you after a while, but I love it here and I would love to get my jersey retired here." - Kevin Durant, 2015

29. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Paul George: "Wanting to win, it came from the heart & itís very sincere on wanting to bring that to Indiana."
    https://twitter.com/bynatetaylor/sta...90952751849472

I mean, if you don't think he wants to be here, "what else is he supposed to say," doesn't fly. He is a liar or is going to change his mind.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

At best, he believes it. At worst, he is trying to do the Pacers a solid and not destroy his trade value.

33. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Mood

The cynical interpretation of those quotes is that he desperately wants to win, means it with all his heart....for next season. Ala, he'd love to win one before he goes.

That said, this whole 'debate' is defined by confirmation bias - reading bland quotes through the lens of wanting him to stay, or through Sam Amick's take on his agent's dealings.

Definitive proof by way of a direct quote here would basically have to be him declaring his time is up and wants to go or saying 'Ill be staying in Indy beyond this contract' or even better 'I'm never leaving of my own volition'.
    "He's a strong physical presence out there on both ends of the court. He's a man. There's a reason he was an All-Star." -- Vogel on David West

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Willbo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    I hope this means something but rhetoric from other players in the past makes it hard to read too much unto it.

"I don't really think about anywhere else. I hear it all the time, don't get me wrong, and once you hear it you're kind of like (thinking about it). But for me, I love staying in the moment, and I'm one of those guys that would love to stick it out with one team my whole career. Kobe (Bryant), Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki type. That's awesome. But you never know what the future holds sometimes and how teams may feel about you after a while, but I love it here and I would love to get my jersey retired here." - Kevin Durant, 2015
    Durant saying "you never know what the future hold and how teams feel about you" is more than PG has said.

If Paul wants to win a championship, why would he stay in Indiana?
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm probably in the minority, but I've always felt he'd stay here, and nothing he has said or done has shown any lack of devotion to the Pacers. All these rumors have been just that. Sometimes there's just way more read into than really is there.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

I don't follow Paul's every quote, but he would be pretty silly to say anything else. If he says he would like to go elsewhere, guess what the Pacers would do? PG would limit his market to next to nothing if he mentioned another team he would want to play for.

Quote Originally Posted by Willbo View Post
    The cynical interpretation of those quotes is that he desperately wants to win, means it with all his heart....for next season. Ala, he'd love to win one before he goes.

That said, this whole 'debate' is defined by confirmation bias - reading bland quotes through the lens of wanting him to stay, or through Sam Amick's take on his agent's dealings.

Definitive proof by way of a direct quote here would basically have to be him declaring his time is up and wants to go or saying 'Ill be staying in Indy beyond this contract' or even better 'I'm never leaving of my own volition'.
    Agreed, there isn't much to read from such a quote. This quote could easily be 100% true, or it could just be Paul laying down good PR as any good employee would. Words are mostly meaningless especially in interviews, actions are what matter.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

I thought the quote about how he found all the trade rumors silly or something like that was interesting. Remember how at deadline he was complaining about the communication from Bird? I don't get that vibe right now, so whatever is going on, I do believe that he and Pritchard are communicating.

EDIT: He called the trade rumors "crazy"

44. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post: