Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 213

Thread: Paul George: Goal remains the same, win a championship with the Pacers.

  1. #176
    Blow it up BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    23,209

    Default Re: Paul George: Goal remains the same, win a championship with the Pacers.

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    PG just can't win can he, LOL.

    Look, he just said the best possible thing for the franchise. Whether he's sincere or not, it is the right thing to say. He could have gone with a noncommittal answer, but he didn't. At the very least, he did the Pacers a solid by repairing the PR damage from the Lakers rumors.

    Beyond that, sure everything still looks foggy. But the narrative around here is that PG already has one foot out the door. It seems he still cares enough to do damage control for the Pacers at least.
    I agree. Paul said all the right things and what he said cannot be taken as a negative IMO. At the same time, everyone knows or should know that what he has expressed, competing for a title, isn't going to happen if he stays in Indy.

    My advice to him would be to talk to LeBron. Follow LeBron to LA would be his best hope.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

  2. #177

    Default Re: Paul George: Goal remains the same, win a championship with the Pacers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At this point I think the bigger shock to the NBA landscape would be Paul remaining a Pacer to be completely honest.
    In the current NBA landscape? Yes I agree

    That and I don't see nearly the same connection between Paul/Indianapolis like Durant/OKC either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's absolutely possible to win a championship in Indiana if the right pieces fall into place. We've been to the Finals and, what, eight conference finals?

    Five years ago, who would have believed that Cleveland and Golden State would not only win championships, but dominate the league?
    Golden State were always on the brink but never pushed through with Mark Jackson while I didn't expect them to be this good their success didn't come from nowhere.

    Cleveland after the Decision yeah that surprised me but I didn't think LeBron would return.

  3. #178
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    5,495

    Default Re: Paul George: Goal remains the same, win a championship with the Pacers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There was tons of media hype/speculation about Lebron to New York.
    Yeah. From the New York media! Go figure. Those guys think EVERYONE should want to play in New York.

  4. #179
    Member vnzla81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    35
    Posts
    34,033

    Default Re: Paul George: Goal remains the same, win a championship with the Pacers.

    Pretty much


    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

  5. #180
    Lurker of the Year Infinite MAN_force's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fountain Square
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,685

    Default Re: Paul George: Goal remains the same, win a championship with the Pacers.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't like Dwight Howard but he would make us better... So yeh, sign him up.
    You'd trade Turner for him?

    That could be an all time blunder type trade. Like trading young Alex English for a way over the hill George Mcginnis.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

    - ilive4sports

  6. #181
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    9,147

    Default Re: Paul George: Goal remains the same, win a championship with the Pacers.

    No wonder ESPN is losing market share, do you really put weight to that nonsense? no wonder you think the way you do
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  7. The Following User Says Thank You to able For This Useful Post:


  8. #182
    Lurker of the Year Infinite MAN_force's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fountain Square
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,685

    Default Re: Paul George: Goal remains the same, win a championship with the Pacers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah. From the New York media! Go figure. Those guys think EVERYONE should want to play in New York.
    This is exactly how I view the current PG to LA rumors. It's all coming out of LA.

    Like, did everyone forget this Laker team's roster is total garbage?
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

    - ilive4sports

  9. #183
    Lurker of the Year Infinite MAN_force's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fountain Square
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,685

    Default Re: Paul George: Goal remains the same, win a championship with the Pacers.

    I think everyone needs to get this idea of Turner being a 4 out of their heads, they tried it. It didn't work. He's not quick enough.

    Kid needs to put on a little more muscle and that's exactly what he's doing (per reports)
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

    - ilive4sports

  10. #184
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    5,586

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George: Goal remains the same, win a championship with the Pacers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think everyone needs to get this idea of Turner being a 4 out of their heads, they tried it. It didn't work. He's not quick enough.

    Kid needs to put on a little more muscle and that's exactly what he's doing (per reports)
    I must have a different opinion. I didn't think he was that bad at the 4 when we had Ian.


    Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:


  12. #185
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    8,575

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George: Goal remains the same, win a championship with the Pacers.

    I don't think you can play Turner at the 4 in the current landscape of the NBA.

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:


  14. #186
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,825

    Default Re: Paul George: Goal remains the same, win a championship with the Pacers.

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think you can play Turner at the 4 in the current landscape of the NBA.
    Sometimes you have to make the landscape adjust to you. Paired with a mobile stronger player Myles would fit right in at the 4 spot. Sure there are going to be match up issues with a few players but then he will cause match up issues with others. But in the end labels don't really matter, as long has he is paired up with a stronger more rugged rebounder he can be whatever we need him to be.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  16. #187
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,702

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George: Goal remains the same, win a championship with the Pacers.

    I'd be intrigued but cynical if we somehow got Dwight Howard. I think he's proven himself to be unreliable when it comes to being 'the guy' and I think he still sees himself as 'the guy' and will probably be an off court distraction if things aren't going his way with how he's used, how much he plays, etc.

    Listening to guys like Zach Lowe discuss him, my impression has been he's not as good as he thinks he is posting up, yet he always wants teams to post him up more, and what's worse is he was terrific as the roll guy in PnRs but now he's slowing down and becoming less explosive, so that isn't the weapon it once was.

    Taking both of those into account, along with his lack of any other real offensive threat, he just seems like a disappointment waiting to happen to me if we acquire him.

    Then there's the issue of playing defense with him and Myles together. Assuming Dwight is still formidable in this department, I'm sure he and Myles would look great against a conventional team with one or two post up big men trying to attack us, or if one or both of them is near the rim it will make attacking the basket very difficult. But what I see happening is teams deliberately forcing one or probably even both of them to guard shooters from the perimeter, running them around, picking them off, and when they do that I just don't see how our defense holds up.

    I firmly believe Myles' offensive game is that of a forward or even a wing, but defensively he needs to be near the rim as much as possible to do what he does best (contesting and blocking shots), and I have concerns about his ability to guard the perimeter on a regular basis as well, which will probably mean with a Dwight type here that Turner quickly looks poor on that end of the floor, which hurts the team and likely hurts him in the long run.

    The league is fueled by spacing, shooting, and dribble-driving right now, and I think keeping Myles at 5 better allows us to exploit that on both ends.

    I know he's said he's working on post moves, but to be honest I'd rather see him get even better at shooting, keep working on his turn-around jumper from 15', and even see him develop his little hints of a dribble-drive himself. If he could learn to attack the basket from even mid range, that's a real pain in the a** for other teams to deal with, assuming his shooting %'s stay up. Not that I'm opposed to him adding a post game, I just don't see it as top priority at this point.

    He must gain strength, though. Gotta make it tougher to push him around so that he can rebound better and finish more often.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  18. #188
    Lurker of the Year Infinite MAN_force's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fountain Square
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,685

    Default Re: Paul George: Goal remains the same, win a championship with the Pacers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd be intrigued but cynical if we somehow got Dwight Howard. I think he's proven himself to be unreliable when it comes to being 'the guy' and I think he still sees himself as 'the guy' and will probably be an off court distraction if things aren't going his way with how he's used, how much he plays, etc.

    Listening to guys like Zach Lowe discuss him, my impression has been he's not as good as he thinks he is posting up, yet he always wants teams to post him up more, and what's worse is he was terrific as the roll guy in PnRs but now he's slowing down and becoming less explosive, so that isn't the weapon it once was.

    Taking both of those into account, along with his lack of any other real offensive threat, he just seems like a disappointment waiting to happen to me if we acquire him.

    Then there's the issue of playing defense with him and Myles together. Assuming Dwight is still formidable in this department, I'm sure he and Myles would look great against a conventional team with one or two post up big men trying to attack us, or if one or both of them is near the rim it will make attacking the basket very difficult. But what I see happening is teams deliberately forcing one or probably even both of them to guard shooters from the perimeter, running them around, picking them off, and when they do that I just don't see how our defense holds up.

    I firmly believe Myles' offensive game is that of a forward or even a wing, but defensively he needs to be near the rim as much as possible to do what he does best (contesting and blocking shots), and I have concerns about his ability to guard the perimeter on a regular basis as well, which will probably mean with a Dwight type here that Turner quickly looks poor on that end of the floor, which hurts the team and likely hurts him in the long run.

    The league is fueled by spacing, shooting, and dribble-driving right now, and I think keeping Myles at 5 better allows us to exploit that on both ends.

    I know he's said he's working on post moves, but to be honest I'd rather see him get even better at shooting, keep working on his turn-around jumper from 15', and even see him develop his little hints of a dribble-drive himself. If he could learn to attack the basket from even mid range, that's a real pain in the a** for other teams to deal with, assuming his shooting %'s stay up. Not that I'm opposed to him adding a post game, I just don't see it as top priority at this point.

    He must gain strength, though. Gotta make it tougher to push him around so that he can rebound better and finish more often.
    I really like Myles's potential but I do believe that to maximise it, we need a certain type of player next to him in the front court to make everything work. A guy who has traditional size so you aren't losing out on the boards, but also has the kind of athleticism that will allow him to switch out on the perimeter and guard guys there. Thad is almost that guy but he just doesn't bring it on the boards. One of the reasons I like Harry Giles in the draft so much (in addition to his enormous upside) is because he fits this profile very nicely.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

    - ilive4sports

  19. #189
    This season is for Travis ECKrueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    5,787

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George: Goal remains the same, win a championship with the Pacers.

    Guess we can shut this down.

  20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:


  21. #190

    Default Re: Paul George: Goal remains the same, win a championship with the Pacers.

    Well...if all is true of reports today. PG handled everything horribly. Hope he fails hard and never wins a title if this is true.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to brownjake43 For This Useful Post:


  23. #191
    DONCIC 2018 PacersHomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,784

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George: Goal remains the same, win a championship with the Pacers.

    Bird really messed up by not taking the Hawks or Nuggets offer in hindsight.

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:


  25. #192

    Default Re: Paul George: Goal remains the same, win a championship with the Pacers.

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bird really messed up by not taking the Hawks or Nuggets offer in hindsight.
    What was their offers?

  26. #193
    Member vnzla81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    35
    Posts
    34,033

    Default Re: Paul George: Goal remains the same, win a championship with the Pacers.

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pretty much



    Yep.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

  27. #194
    Member vnzla81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    35
    Posts
    34,033

    Default Re: Paul George: Goal remains the same, win a championship with the Pacers.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Future View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What was their offers?
    4 first round picks.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

  28. #195
    Blow it up BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    23,209

    Default Re: Paul George: Goal remains the same, win a championship with the Pacers.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree. Paul said all the right things and what he said cannot be taken as a negative IMO. At the same time, everyone knows or should know that what he has expressed, competing for a title, isn't going to happen if he stays in Indy.

    My advice to him would be to talk to LeBron. Follow LeBron to LA would be his best hope.
    ...um. Now LeBron is up.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

  29. #196
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    5,586

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George: Goal remains the same, win a championship with the Pacers.

    And I would like to thank Paul George for slapping me in the face after I resigned as VP of the "Trade Paul George Administration" to give him the benefit of a doubt of wanting to play out his contract.


    Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

  30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:


  31. #197
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,636

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George: Goal remains the same, win a championship with the Pacers.

    The '4 first round picks' thing is overblown. If they weren't in the lottery, you'd be hard-pressed to find anything more than role players. People think that just because the Pacers have had a lot of success in the draft with Granger, PG, Turner, etc, that's how it always works, but it's really not.

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:


  33. #198

    Default Re: Paul George: Goal remains the same, win a championship with the Pacers.

    Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The '4 first round picks' thing is overblown. If they weren't in the lottery, you'd be hard-pressed to find anything more than role players. People think that just because the Pacers have had a lot of success in the draft with Granger, PG, Turner, etc, that's how it always works, but it's really not.
    Yup. If we're trading PG, I really want a top prospect like Josh Jackson in this draft. Don't want any role players at pick 20.

  34. #199
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,825

    Default Re: Paul George: Goal remains the same, win a championship with the Pacers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Look in the past I have been the first to throw out the cynicism card never believing a single thing that any PR piece wants me to believe. But in this case I think the truth may just in fact be what is being said at face value. I think Paul wants to be a Pacer, i think he wants to win a title here. I believe that he is giving the team a chance to get players around him so that he can compete right here and right now. Does that mean he won't leave in a year? No, it means what it means. He will play out his contract and if we get say a Hayward or similar to him to come here and he can go into a deep EC finals run then i think he signs long term. If we go garbage bin shopping again (Ellis, Allen, Jefferson, Stuckey, Craperland, Miles, the list goes on) and we barely make it to the playoffs and flameout while he puts up superstar numbers then he goes to the team that give him the best chance to win.

    That is why I say go all in right now. Trade picks, trade Turner if you have to but do whatever it is you have to do to bring in talent to give Paul a chance.

    I guess this is my version of joining the sunshine brigade for a slice of sun pie.
    What have I learned from all of this?

    1. My cynicism typically serves me well.
    2. My general distaste of positive PR should always be my guide.
    3. Never EVER wonder from the darkness into the sun.

    Mia Culpa folks, I blew it big time here. I honestly took Paul at his word when he was in town last week and now I look the fool (rightfully so).

    I can't even begin to tell you how disgusted I am at this entire turn of events, but for this post I'm going to focus on why I am so pissed at Paul for the way he did this.

    I do not blame him for wanting to go to another team. Frankly our previous administration has legitimately made monumental errors in personnel over the past 3 years. Even with a new head of BBO it was going to be a miracle if the team could get from being just a low level playoff team to a contender. So in all honesty if Paul had gone to the team after the season and made it known that he wanted to move on then not only would I have been okay with it I would have appreciated him being up front wit the club.

    But by all reports that is not what happened. Instead he led everybody to believe that he was willing to give the club a chance to build and if by some miracle we could pull something out then he might have signed with us. Even last week he came back to host the celebrity game and while that isn't a big deal he had Kevin Pritchard in his dugout and told any press that would listen they were on the same page.

    Then the weekend before the draft he comes out and informs the club that no matter what he is out of here next off season. Again if it were done in private I could appreciate it, but to leak it like this and then the most damming thing of all to say he prefers to go only to the Lakers? That basically puts the Pacers in a corner because now we are limited because teams will offer next to nothing because they know Paul wants to go to L.A. Now if and a big IF Pritchard can get some kind of bidding war going then L.A. may have to cough up something of substance to get Paul. But as of tonight they are under almost zero pressure to give us anything because they feel that they can pretty much just wait it out and sign him.

    Now why would Paul do this? Well one reason is that he might have wanted to make it so the Lakers did not have to give up much if anything in terms of talent. He saw how the Mello trade went down with NY and he wanted all of the assets in place so that when he gets there they will still have a good roster. It might just work for him, who knows.

    But either way it is very dirty to do this to the Pacers at this late date. Again, not mad at him wanting to leave, not even mad at him telling the team. Not really all that mad about it leaking but I am damn furious about him proclaiming the Lakers as his almost guaranteed destination.

    I'll look forward to see what KP does, but I have a feeling that no matter what we are in for a long dark road ahead.

    P.S. sometime in the future I'll have a post where I roast Bird for how we got here because make no mistake I truly blame him for this debacle.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  35. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  36. #200
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    57
    Posts
    16,819

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George: Goal remains the same, win a championship with the Pacers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    P.S. sometime in the future I'll have a post where I roast Bird for how we got here because make no mistake I truly blame him for this debacle.
    So would you say Bird has replaced Donnie as your most hated GM/President? :
    BillS

    A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •