Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An answer from Foretaz..... about Hulkster

Default An answer from Foretaz..... about Hulkster

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

as far as my feelings on harrison....thats a different thread....if a thread is started about him....i would probably put my thoughts of him on there....

but, if u did start a nother thread bout david...id probably be inclined to respond...

Okay, here's your shot.

I love a good David Harrison debate, I'll be awaiting your answer anxiously.

BTW - Anyone else that wants to say something about Harrison, go for it.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: An answer from Foretaz.....

I really like what I've seen of Harrison in his limited playing time. I'm still not sure what we've got in him, but he was a steal with the last pick ....... for sure.

He could end up being our starting center at some point next season, if he improves. He also could be a bust, if he doesn't stay in shape and stay hungry to get better.

I think some of the huge Harrison fan's are counting on him way to much to be a definite contributor, he's still an unknown factor in my eyes. I sure hope he becomes a huge success though.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    Okay, here's your shot.

I love a good David Harrison debate, I'll be awaiting your answer anxiously.

BTW - Anyone else that wants to say something about Harrison, go for it.
    lol..who u kidding...i determined quite some time ago that u love a debate, period....it became pretty obvious to me pretty quicklike that if i said the earth was round that u would debate that it is square if u thought it would be an entertaining debate...as i promised ill give u my feelings on david...but it will be a bit later...im gonna go out for a while....besides...my fingers are sore...

tell the truth...u were/are the captain of ur debate club in high school, werent u?

talk soon...though i think u might be a bit disappointed...

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop
    I really like what I've seen of Harrison in his limited playing time. I'm still not sure what we've got in him, but he was a steal with the last pick ....... for sure.

He could end up being our starting center at some point next season, if he improves. He also could be a bust, if he doesn't stay in shape and stay hungry to get better.

I think some of the huge Harrison fan's are counting on him way to much to be a definite contributor, he's still an unknown factor in my eyes. I sure hope he becomes a huge success though.
    ill give u a hint....this isnt too far from what i think....

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    lol..who u kidding...i determined quite some time ago that u love a debate, period....it became pretty obvious to me pretty quicklike that if i said the earth was round that u would debate that it is square if u thought it would be an entertaining debate...as i promised ill give u my feelings on david...but it will be a bit later...im gonna go out for a while....besides...my fingers are sore...

tell the truth...u were/are the captain of ur debate club in high school, werent u?

talk soon...though i think u might be a bit disappointed...
    Actually I'm just a huge David Harrison fan.

I don't really think there will be a whole lot to debate here, but I'm still interested in what you think about him.

If the rest of you wouldn't tire of it, I'd probably start a new David Harrison thread every day of the offseason.

I've never really considered myself especially argumentative, either, please list your reasons for thinking so.

Just kidding.

I will say something about David, he is the laziest Pacer right now and he is out of shape. He should drop a few pounds.

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    Actually I'm just a huge David Harrison fan.

I don't really think there will be a whole lot to debate here, but I'm still interested in what you think about him.

If the rest of you wouldn't tire of it, I'd probably start a new David Harrison thread every day of the offseason.

I've never really considered myself especially argumentative, either, please list your reasons for thinking so.

Just kidding.
    lol...u know what that reminds me of??? sorry cant resist....

i was conducting a sales meeting....i had a sales rep that was...how shall we say... confrontational at times...

so, at one point, i finally said, when we were in the middle of a discussion, and he was being especially spunky...."(name), ur being a bit too confrontational"....to which he replied very sincerely and without any thought...."no im not"

we all paused for a second....and then we all (including him) had a good laugh....

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    Are you kidding?

He came in early, and I never once saw him out of shape during the season.

He became one of my favorite players to root for this season.....
    Yeah that explains why everytime he came on the court for more then 10 minutes he couldnt get up and down the court and was breathing hard.Like I said he should drop a few pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    I want video.

I did see him get tired, as most big men due when having to adjust to the NBA from college.

I saw him get fatigured, as anyone would. I never saw him, as you put it, "out of shape"
    Sorry no video.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    Yeah that explains why everytime he came on the court for more then 10 minutes he couldnt get up and down the court and was breathing hard.Like I said he should drop a few pounds.
    For more than 10 minutes real time or on the game-clock?

Whenever Harrison had been playing a lot, he would struggle slightly making it down the court, but once he was set up in the half-court, he would have plenty of energy left, on both sides of the floor.

The Orlando game the Sunday after the brawl was a perfect example of this.

JAMoore

Default Re: An answer from Foretaz..... about Hulkster

I for one like Harrison. I like having a big man get the ball down low either through the entry pass (he makes a big target and keeps his man behind him, so they can't knock it away) or via the offensive rebound, and go up with it to DUNK it. I like Foster and DD, but I'm sick and tired of seeing other teams get an offensive rebound and slam it home with authority, while our guys pump fake 3 times before getting their shot slapped out to the 3 point line for a fast break the other way.

I liked what I saw of Harrison this year, and I think the "windedness" is the norm for a rookie big man. I believe he will continue to work hard and will be a big factor for us.

However, I am worried about the concussion he received. He will get knocked around a lot based on his positioning on the court. And as long as he was out of it on this concussion, I'm afraid this might be something he will battle for the rest of his career.

He's the Hulk.

Need I say more?

I really haven't formed an opinion of David yet other than I think he will be useful. How much reminds to be determined. His short arms handicap him somewhat.

I think at best he will be on the cusp of making an all star team.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    I think at best he will be on the cusp of making an all star team.
    Which is exactly what this current team needs. With all the salary cap issues we need a good center, almost all-star caliber but can hold his own against Shaq, Yao, Brad Miller, etc- but isn't good enough that he can command as much money as Brad Miller so we can hopefully keep him. If he groom him the right ways he can be exactly that.

foretaz

Harrison....he appears to have the talent to be a very , very good center in this league....he also could be one of a long line of 7 footers that people mistakingly put so much hope in and are left constantly disappointed....

weve all seen the signs.....partly because we all want so much to have a great true center...they are so rare....but remember....every team constantly wants to find that player....and often waste high draft picks on them....and yet he slid all the way to us in last years draft....so out of all these gms that are always willing to gamble on a 7 footer with lots of talent, none of them thought it was worth the risk....thats a bit scary to me....and probably should tell us something.... though, what i really dont know....

what it tells me is that they think he will never get any better....that this year we saw as good as it gets....

i hope im wrong....its not really my opinion as much as what i take from those supposed experts that all passed on him in last years first round....i would love to have harrison really turn into a serviceable center....a great defender and shot blocker who can block out and rebound....wow....that would be amazing to add to tins, jo, artest, and jack.....

he doesnt have to be great.....but good would be wonderful given his size and talent ability...which is why we all get so excited so quickly...and ultimately why we are so often disappointed....like i said...i hope im wrong....i hope all those gms are wrong...and i think we will know a lot more when the preseason starts....with the impending lockout it puts even more emphasis on him being able to stay motivated on his own...what kind of shape hes comes into camp in....and how much hes worked on his game this summer....we will know those things and they will go along way in determining whether hes gonna be an asset to this team or just another disappointing 7 footer...

i just keep asking myself....why...why....why did all those gms who usually would give up life and limb and risk just about anything on a longshot that is 7 feet tall and 280 lbs with decent skills....why oh why did they all pass....every last one of them....still boggles my mind...a power forward slips by every once in a while...wing guys much more often....but seldom do point guards or centers totally come under the radar....

so why....why did 29 teams pass on him????

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    Unfortunately you sound like you bit into the pre-draft analysis and you didn't bother to watch this year.

The only time I saw him not being able to get up and down the court and breathing hard was in the Orlando game on 11/20. Of course he only played 44 minutes so there is NO WAY he should be tired. He had a good run from 11/20 to 12/17. He averaged 11 ppg, 5 rbg and 2.5 blocks and 30 minutes per game, not bad for a rookie who almost fell out of the 1st round. Then the injuries started piling up.

Look, Harrison is always going to get ripped for being out of shape, the same thing happens w/Shaq. Shaq will breathe hard every once in a while as well. Neither of these guys are out of shape, they are just big human beings. I think Harrison will come into camp in good shape and will be a valuable contributor. My biggest concern with him is the concussions. He's had 2 in 2 years.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Harrison had a wacky hair cut during the playoffs.

I worry about him and here's why

From the time he was drafted he worked extremely and continued to do so right up until the concusssion and even though he got into better and better NBA condition he never got close to where he needs to be. I worry that he has a body type that just won't get into proper NBA shape, no matter what he does.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    I worry about him and here's why

From the time he was drafted he worked extremely and continued to do so right up until the concusssion and even though he got into better and better NBA condition he never got close to where he needs to be. I worry that he has a body type that just won't get into proper NBA shape, no matter what he does.

Kind of like Shaq?
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

My biggest worry about Harrision is his ability to catch a difficult pass when covered up. It isn't going to do much good to have a center who can score if we can't get him the ball and he is recognized by defenses as being unable to receive the ball under pressure. It's sort of the opposite of JO's weakness at dishing the ball back out. We're right back to an outside-outside game. I'm waiting to see what kind of work can be done to help this over the summer, then I will re-evaluate.

If this can be fixed, I'm loving Harrison a lot.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Our guards and forwards are not all that good at making post entry passes, either. But that's a common problem. Imagine how much better JO and Harrison would look if Derrick McKey was making the entry pass.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by fwpacerfan
    Unfortunately you sound like you bit into the pre-draft analysis and you didn't bother to watch this year.

The only time I saw him not being able to get up and down the court and breathing hard was in the Orlando game on 11/20. Of course he only played 44 minutes so there is NO WAY he should be tired. He had a good run from 11/20 to 12/17. He averaged 11 ppg, 5 rbg and 2.5 blocks and 30 minutes per game, not bad for a rookie who almost fell out of the 1st round. Then the injuries started piling up.

Look, Harrison is always going to get ripped for being out of shape, the same thing happens w/Shaq. Shaq will breathe hard every once in a while as well. Neither of these guys are out of shape, they are just big human beings. I think Harrison will come into camp in good shape and will be a valuable contributor. My biggest concern with him is the concussions. He's had 2 in 2 years.
    He should drop a few pounds before he does get Shaq's size and starts having all the injuries Shaq does because its hard playing with that big body 82 times a year.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    Our guards and forwards are not all that good at making post entry passes, either. But that's a common problem. Imagine how much better JO and Harrison would look if Derrick McKey was making the entry pass.
    I'd very much argue with you about Tinsley's ability to make post entry passes (his TOs are seldom on passes into the post).

This is an extension of observations without heavy pressure and on how he handles rebounds. He has hard hands.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

I agree, I'd like to see Harrison at about 265-275, I think he was closer to 285-290 this season.

I don't want him to lose so much weight that he can't "hold his ground" in the post, especially defensively. There's a lot of emphasis, and with good reason, on his small hands and limited "catch the ball" ability. (Although, for crying out loud, he's nowhere near as bad at DD ("The Original Oven Mitts") and Foster ("Oven Mitts") when it comes to catching the ball.) But David's post defense was exceptional for a rookie because he could push guys out of the paint. Once the officials learn his game, and he learns a few more 'tricks of the trade', his propensity toward foul trouble will decrease.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS
    I'd very much argue with you about Tinsley's ability to make post entry passes (his TOs are seldom on passes into the post).

This is an extension of observations without heavy pressure and on how he handles rebounds. He has hard hands.
    They aren't turnovers, but Tinsley doesn't put the ball in a guys hands where he's in a position to immediately score.

Mark Jackson wasn't very good at making post-entry passes either. Its easier for a taller guy to find a passing angle that leads directly to a shot attempt (vs. JO's catch the ball, gather himself, then go to his favority move(s) ).

On the current roster, Ron had the best ability to make post entry passes; however, his willingness to do so has been a major concern in the past.

Bill, one other note... I don't think David's individual rebound numbers will ever do him justice. I think he's the type of guy that can take on and neutralize the other team's star rebounder (he seems to love boxing out, too bad JO hasn't picked up that habit from him) but its his teammates who will actually grab the rebounds.