Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Spurs/Pistons Game 1 Thread

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Spurs/Pistons Game 1 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by shags
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought Bruce Bowen played one of the best scoreless games I've ever seen.
    Does it rank up there with the multiple Michael Curry scoreless masterpieces???
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacerwaala
    I would love to see RA guard Manu. Oh well! I will wait till next year's regular season!
    He would probably do what Price did, watch as he dribbled past him. Ron isn't as quick as Manu is.

By the way Morrisette (sp?) became a US citizen 3 months ago.

Great game by the Spurs. Sunday should be fun.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerFanInAZ
    Does it rank up there with the multiple Michael Curry scoreless masterpieces???
    In Rick Carlisle's mind, NOTHING matched Michael Curry's scoreless masterpieces.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    I could count the Pistons that played scared tonight, but it might take me all night.

I'm actually as pleased as you could be after a game 1 loss. San Antonio played a great game, but I'm happy how we matched up with them. I look for a completely different game in game 2.

Furthermore, Rasheed proved to me that he could contain Tim Duncan. Yeah, Duncan put up big numbers, but Duncan also hit quite a lot of lucky shots.

Arroyo and Dice were visibly jittery tonight in their first finals. I din't expect that to happen again.
    Sheed did NOTHING to contain Duncan. In case you haven't noticed, Tim has been hitting those "lucky shots" his entire career. That's why he's arguably the best player in the game. And, how do you explain the nearly 20 boards?

Arroyo and Dice were jittery becuase they were finally playing against a good defense. No open looks for Dice, and no easy passes for Carlos.

If the Pistons are "playing scared," then this series is already over.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    Sheed did NOTHING to contain Duncan. In case you haven't noticed, Tim has been hitting those "lucky shots" his entire career. That's why he's arguably the best player in the game. And, how do you explain the nearly 20 boards?

Arroyo and Dice were jittery becuase they were finally playing against a good defense. No open looks for Dice, and no easy passes for Carlos.

If the Pistons are "playing scared," then this series is already over.
    NOTHING he only blocked Duncan about 5 times.....

Howver, we must have set some kind of an NBA record tonight for blocked shots that bounced right into the hands of a teamate for a layup. Thats the kind of lucky stuff I'm talking about. Every time we made a defensive play and knocked the ball lose, it ALWAYS magically bounced into the hands of another spur underneath the hoop. I swear our blocks are more accurate than their PASSES.

Tim was 10-22 tonight, with a few turnovers. I can live with that. The rebounds, however, are different.

Still, this falls in the hands of the rest of the guys for not making Duncan play DEFENSE.

Duncan can't guard Rasheed Wallace. The problem is, Rasheed never got the BALL.

Billups can manhandle PArker about any time he wants to. But he needs to pick hsi spots better, and get sheed the ball in the post.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    I could count the Pistons that played scared tonight, but it might take me all night.

I'm actually as pleased as you could be after a game 1 loss. San Antonio played a great game, but I'm happy how we matched up with them. I look for a completely different game in game 2.

Furthermore, Rasheed proved to me that he could contain Tim Duncan. Yeah, Duncan put up big numbers, but Duncan also hit quite a lot of lucky shots.

Arroyo and Dice were visibly jittery tonight in their first finals. I din't expect that to happen again.

Kstat, Rasheed did play very very good D on TD but you can't argue against 24 points and 17 rebounds.

The wrong big men of Detroit(Ben and Antonio) were trying to set picks for Chauncy on the top of the key and SA was trapping him and making him give up his dribble. I think Rasheed should be doing that so that he can get open for a three and SA's big man cannot help on the pick. Just my IMHO.

Both teams played very good defense though.

I thought Sheed defended Tim as well as you can. Sheed might be the best low post one-on-one defender in the whole NBA.

In the first quarter it was interesting. The Spurs were a little rusty, but I think the Pistons defense took them by surprise. (Nugs, Sonics, Suns cannot prepare you for the Pistons defense) But after the first quarter the Spurs found their groove a little offensively and I think the Pistons energy got worse as the game went on.

On the other end of the floor, the Spurs caused the Pistons offense to look horrible, part of that was the Pistons horrible play, but the Spurs defense is the best they've played also. Pistons bench was beyond bad, if I were a istons fan I would be screaming to get Mike James back, Carlos is very frustrating, he seemed either overwhelmed or just over-matched.

Hamilton missed a lot of shots he normally makes, so yes Bowen does a nice job, probably better than anyone in the NBA, but Hamilton will make a t of those shots next game. Also Tay missed some shots he normally makes. And yes get the ball to Sheed.

UB unfortunately I do not completely agree with you.

What I noticed is basically what I already noticed from the Spurs against the Suns, they have a multitude of gears they can switch into, it's almost scary.

1st of all the Spurs play absolute lockdown defense, IMO even better then the Pistons, and that says something.
    2ndly they have simply to much talent on their team AND bench to overcome.

All those little pass-alterations the Pistons do, Spurs do them just as much, let's face it 10 blocks for the Pistons, but 8 for the Spurs it is still a "large" number either way.

All those Pistons blocks falling in the Spurs hands, ok if I was a fan of the Pistons I to would say (hope) that it was luck, but that luck seems to occur on any game they play, it was the same all playoffs long, all year long.

Spurs were the number 1 defending team in the NBA this year and not by mistake.

Despite what others might think, in my opinion the Spurs will win this in 5.

They are just THAT good.

Once they shook the rust off, they switched up a few gears and away they went.
    Pistons might have had an "off" night shooting, but like all teams have these nights frequently against the Pistons, so do they against the Spurs, it's not called a "bad" night, it is called lockdown defense.

And you got to wonder, if Rasheed had a top defending job against TD (which in my opinion was the case) and TD still takes 24 pts and 17 boards, what if he has a bad night on defense?
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

sc

Spurs were better no doubt, however Detroit can not win with their Guards taking that many shots. It has proved costly in every round.

I did not see a scared Arroyo, I saw the same Arroyo as always making stupid plays.

If you swat the Pistons they will not attack the rim anymore. That is the key, once someone is swatted on that team they are done and will resort to jump shoots.

Sports Logo

I was stoked that the Spurs won.....or more specifically that the Pistons lost.

Although it would be nice for the Spurs to sweep or beat the Pistons in 5.....ohhhhh the irony.....this will go down to a 6 game NBA final.

It sucks that the Pacers won't be the 2005 NBA champs.......but the Spurs being the 2005 NBA champs would be a nice consolation prize.

Quote Originally Posted by able
    And you got to wonder, if Rasheed had a top defending job against TD (which in my opinion was the case) and TD still takes 24 pts and 17 boards, what if he has a bad night on defense?

He'd get 50 points if the Pistons defended him on-on-one and if the Spurs went to him more. 24 points is not very many for Duncan

Pistons biggest problems were rebounding and their offense. Spurs only scored 84 points and what did they shoot

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

only.......one.....game.....lol

The Pistons have one edge over the spurs, and that's mental toughness. Not that the Spurs aren't tough, its just these pistons are the gutsiest team I've seen in 10 years. When they have to get a win, I have every confidence that they will.

Anyone who think this will be a quick series will be very disappointed.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004