Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Al could be on his way to NO.

Default Al could be on his way to NO.

on the realgm.com website there is a mock draft article. the article states a rumor that atlanta and NO may work out a draft day deal. Al and the #2 would go to NO for magloire and the #4. There would obviously have to be cap filler involved, but I thought it was interesting none the least.

http://www.realgm.com/src_feature_ar...ft_version_30/

"4.) New Orleans Hornets : Chris Paul, PG, Wake Forest, So.

There have been some Hornet rumors that have them trading center Jamaal Magloire and this pick to the Hawks for the #2 and Al Harrington. Iím not sure if that works under the CBA trading rules right now because Magloire is a base-year player, meaning that his contract doesnít escalate with each passing year, so his cap number is different for him. If the rumors arenít true, then Paul still is the best choice right here. He and J.R. Smith would be one the best scoring and most exciting backcourts in the league, even if only 8,00 people in New Orleans will be watching. "

Default Re: Al could be on his way to NO.

Poor Al, he would be going from one bad team to another. When his contract is up he will probably look fondly at the Pacers.

Like Dale did.

And Al thought he was in Hell in Atlanta.....Wait until he gets to New Orleans with George Shin as an Owner.....

Poor little Baby AL

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

As for the trade, it does make some sense.

The Hawks could become a bit better having a guy like Magloire in the middle, and the Hornets could use Al at the SF.

The Hawks feel they could still get Paul at the #4 pick here, with the Bucks taking Bogut, the Hornets taking Williams, and the Blazers taking Gerald Green.

I would think this would cause the Hornets to trade PJ Brown to a contender (Miami would seem reasonable).
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And Al thought he was in Hell in Atlanta.....Wait until he gets to New Orleans with George Shin as an Owner.....

Poor little Baby AL
    Al wanted to be "The Man"... unfortunately for Al to be "The Man" he needs to play on a weak team IMHO. IOW, if Al Harrington is your go to guy, game in and game out, then you'll have problems.

I think he was a selfish player prone to bouts of pouting with the Pacers. Since Atlanta is ready to move him already (if the stories are true) then they must not be highly impressed with him either. That said, I'll admit I followed little of his career with the Hawks.

Some players don't know how good they have it. There's nothing shameful about being the 6th man and if Al could've embraced that role and ran with it he'd still be a Pacer and probably be making more here than anywhere else he will go to at any point in his career (the front office is loyal and shows it with the checkbook for players they want to keep).

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    Poor Al, he would be going from one bad team to another. When his contract is up he will probably look fondly at the Pacers.

Like Dale did.
    I have little sympathy for Al...he's getting exactly what he asked LB for

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

On RealGM, there was a proposal of Bender and the #17 to bring Al back here. Hawks fans seem generally pleased with the idea. How do you guys feel about it?
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

The question in my mind is would Al want to do that. If yes, then I'm all for it.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    On RealGM, there was a proposal of Bender and the #17 to bring Al back here. Hawks fans seem generally pleased with the idea. How do you guys feel about it?
    Mixed emotions really.

I liked him when he was here the first few years, but than he had to become a sort of small blackhole and wanted to have a larger role on the team, which frankly I don't think he deserves given his talent, etc.

I would like him to lead our second unit, offcourse. We need more offense from the back up PF spot, well ... there ya go, but I see chemistry problems reaching an all time high as he will get lesser minutes if he were to return with the emergence of JJ and SJax also beying able to play SF when needed, while David Harrisson at center might also provide us with more minutes for Jermaine at his natural PF position, meaning ... lesser minutes for Al at both back up PF and SF since the last time he was around here. Knowing Al, he won't like that AT ALL.

So, in other words, talentwise it's nice, we also do a quantity for quality trade which in my opinion is what we need (we are maybe TOO deep), but chemistry is likely to suffer, so I would say "no" to this deal.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

JB and #17 for Al would be an absolute steal for the Hawks. Especially if Jon can get anything going.

Al was dang good until RA showed up...then he started getting jealous, IMO.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

I don't know Geezer. I haven't seen as many Pacers games as some of you have, because of my "location", but I have always understood that Al came back a changed man, so to say, after his season ending injury. When was that btw? 2001?

I got the feeling from looking at the few games I could see and from other people posting that when he came back he had resorted to be more of an offensive player instead of a defensive one. I remember people particularly beying fond of his defence, before his injury occured, after that I get the feeling most people felt he had maybe lost a step.

On the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if envy of Ron would have played a role in Al's mind either and his decision to taking more shots.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    The question in my mind is would Al want to do that. If yes, then I'm all for it.

Bring Al home.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

My feeling would be that it would be nice to have Al back, especially now that he knows what he was giving up by leaving the Pacers ... but (barring Artest, whom I don't think Al comes close to replacing) I don't think SF is where our problems lie.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by purdue101
    Iím not sure if that works under the CBA trading rules right now because Magloire is a base-year player, meaning that his contract doesnít escalate with each passing year, so his cap number is different for him.
    1. That's not what base-year means.
    2. It doesn't matter anyway, because Atlanta's under the cap.

And for the record, no thanks to the Al-for-Bender swap. JJ will give us more next year than Al would. Al's the better player, but JJ fits our team needs better.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem

And for the record, no thanks to the Al-for-Bender swap. JJ will give us more next year than Al would. Al's the better player, but JJ fits our team needs better.

Good point. As is, JJ knows that next year he will most likely be backing up Artest and Jackson at times. If we traded for Al, I highly doubt that JJ would resign with us.

I have changed my mind. Unless we trade Artest or Jackson I see no use for Al. And that's not going to happen before the draft, so no to Al . . . at this time.

Bender + #17 for Al is a steal alright. But it's a steal for us.

I'd unload Bender and his salary right now for a case of Doritos, straight up. And Al is a much better player than anyone we will acquire with #17.

We need a player at PF/C that can hit a 10-12 foot jumpshot to play alongside JO at times. Al could easily do that. We wouldn't play JO and Al together for extended periods, but they could probably play together for 15 minutes a game.

I would hope that Al has learned a very valuable lesson in his stay with the Hawks. And that is basically to just shut up, blend in and play.

I would NOT play Al for extended minutes at SF. When he boosted his weight to 255-260, I think he lost a step, especially in light of his knee injury.

It would also be nice if we could unload Gill or someone else in the trade to make it a 2-for-1, if that works under the trade rules.

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by beast23

I'd unload Bender and his salary right now for a case of Doritos, straight up. And Al is a much better player than anyone we will acquire with #17.

We need a player at PF/C that can hit a 10-12 foot jumpshot to play alongside JO at times. Al could easily do that. We wouldn't play JO and Al together for extended periods, but they could probably play together for 15 minutes a game.

I would hope that Al has learned a very valuable lesson in his stay with the Hawks. And that is basically to just shut up, blend in and play.

I would NOT play Al for extended minutes at SF. When he boosted his weight to 255-260, I think he lost a step, especially in light of his knee injury.

It would also be nice if we could unload Gill or someone else in the trade to make it a 2-for-1, if that works under the trade rules.
    This is my thinking as well. Al would be primarily used to backup JO when he takes a rest, or moves over to the 5 for a faster, more athletic lineup.

C - DD/Foster/Harrison/Pollard
    PF - JO/Al/Cro
    SF - Ron/JJ
    SG - Jack/Freddie
    PG - Tins/AJ

That's pretty damn scary. Although I'm not entirely sure how we'll be able to round out our roster w/o a draft pick or any FA $$$ after re-signing Dale and JJ.

As for Gill, isn't he a FA now?
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    Wow.

Atlanta fans really are desperate.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I would have no problem with Al coming back home.

What do people consider him now, anyway (PF/SF)? Is he officially too slow for SF?

If not, he'd be great. Anything that gives us greater Ron flexibility/insurance is great.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

When the subject turns to trading away Bender I think I'd take Charlie Manson in return in a trade... so the #17 and Bender for Al works for me.

I'd even trade Bender for Darko

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Why would NO do this? Even if Bogut is available, he's a long way from being Magloire. Maybe they're targeting John Edwards on the FA market.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by beast23

i too would unload bender for almost anything however- al is not one of them.
    one could hope he has learned a lesson but, i doubt it very much. even if he kept his mouth shut for a while, it wouldn't last for long i'm afraid.

al is simaler to croshere in a way that i don't like, he is a tweener. too small to playthe p.f. slot and too slow for the s.f. slot. unlike cro, al once played effective defense but didn't with his last 2 or so seasons with the pacers. he became more of a ' i'm gonna shoot the ball because i havent shot it the last 2 times down the court and i gotta get shots off'.

i am one of the guys who hate watching the heavily challenged double or triple teamed turn around fadeaways that jermaine does. unfortunately al likes that shot too and it didn't matter how many or how well defended he was, he was gonna shoot it and that was that.
    i don't think he would be happy one bit if he couldn't start and even grumpier if he didn't get at least as many min. as he did the last time around.
    nah, i am not interested in al.

I'd unload Bender and his salary right now for a case of Doritos
    What flavor?

BustedPants

During Al's last year, he was playing as much power forward as he was small forward. If Al was willing to come off the bench (which he wouldn't be), then he would replace JO and JJ would replace Artest.

I would be happy with trading Bender and #17 for Al Harrington, but it would be dependent on whether Al wanted to come back and fill his role. He would be able to get a lot of minutes, he just wouldn't be able to start. My main problem with Al when he was with us was that he wanted to pull up 20-foot fadeaways from the baseline when he had the ability to back his man down to the basket.