Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The new PG for Indiana will be.....

Default Re: The new PG for Indiana will be.....

Good explanation, Jay, on why the New Orleans waiver screwed up Bird rights on Dale.

Also props to foretaz, the purple printer, for a lucid explanation about what it will take to sign James Jones, Sarunas and Dale.

If indeed the Pacers plan on signing those three - the team will surely want to lose some salary somewhere else. 75 million dollar payrolls in the NBA are not a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by sixthman
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

If indeed the Pacers plan on signing those three - the team will surely want to lose some salary somewhere else. 75 million dollar payrolls in the NBA are not a good thing.

But will this be a problem after the new agreement???

And for that matter, what will the old-fart vet minimum be for next year? If Davis signs for that, he dosn't count against the MLE, right? and would he take that big of a pay cut?

Theoretically (unless I am wrong with the above idea) both JJ and Davis could be signed and still have the full MLE left...

Outsider

Quote Originally Posted by Outsider
    Theoretically (unless I am wrong with the above idea) both JJ and Davis could be signed and still have the full MLE left...
    Yessum.

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by Outsider
    But will this be a problem after the new agreement???

And for that matter, what will the old-fart vet minimum be for next year? If Davis signs for that, he dosn't count against the MLE, right? and would he take that big of a pay cut?

Outsider
    yes...theoretically this is possible....because jj has nothing to do with the MLE as previously discussed...

so as i have mentioned before, i m most curious to see what dale signs for....

if dale signs for vet minimum....yes then we have our full MLE...but i just cant hardly believe this has any chance of happening....

i fully believe that they had some sort of handshake agreement regarding his salary and contract for this upcoming year when he resigned....yes he saw playing time as a factor, and yes i believe he would prefer to be back home in indy and be with reggie as he retires, but still it is a business....and what dale can command is probably a bit more than the vet minimum...

and i just cant believe that they havent already committed a substantial part of the MLE to dale....and i cant help but think that is why the contract requirements were so boldly stated as far as sarunas goes...cause i have a feeling thats not what any of the teams were hoping to pay for sarunas...half of the MLE might have been much closer...but his desires take up a major chunk(approx 3.3 of the 4.9) of the MLE...which doesnt leave alot to do with where another player is concerned...

so once again....what the pacers are able to work out with dale is the big thing...and i wouldnt be surprised at all for them to do somethings similar to what they did with reggie-sign him to a deal that pays him less per year but an extra year or so.....

so dale, my most favorite pacer, whats it gonna be....we are dying to know...

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    I like Sarunas Jazikevicius. I think he will be one heck of a player.

Let's trade Artest for him... er... uh...
    Yeah lets trade him Pat Garrity

[QUOTE=sixthman]

Also props to foretaz, the purple printer, for a lucid explanation about what it will take to sign James Jones, Sarunas and Dale.

QUOTE]

Purple Printer?

More like Purple Wind! You do realize how long his posts are don't you? [giggle,giggle,snort]

Sorry foretaz, I couldn't resist! As I've told Peck numerous times, I like long Posts.

Sports Logo

It ain't gonna happen.....the Pacers are not the ONLY team that is interested in him. On top of that,he is going to come at a high price according to his Agent and likely go to a team that will guarantee some solid minutes. The prospect of competing for the backup PG spot ( which he can probably get ) is way different then playing for a team that pretty much told him that he will definitely get minutes.

Trade away AJ and I think we have a better chance of signing him. Keep him and this guy will go to a lesser team who can give him solid minutes at Backup PG if not the starting PG spot.

foretaz

[QUOTE=Will Galen]
    Quote Originally Posted by sixthman

QUOTE]

Purple Printer?

More like Purple Wind! You do realize how long his posts are don't you? [giggle,giggle,snort]

Sorry foretaz, I couldn't resist! As I've told Peck numerous times, I like long Posts.
    lol...trust me...i dont mind a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen

Thats What she said........

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC
    It ain't gonna happen.....the Pacers are not the ONLY team that is interested in him. On top of that,he is going to come at a high price according to his Agent and likely go to a team that will guarantee some solid minutes. The prospect of competing for the backup PG spot ( which he can probably get ) is way different then playing for a team that pretty much told him that he will definitely get minutes.

Trade away AJ and I think we have a better chance of signing him. Keep him and this guy will go to a lesser team who can give him solid minutes at Backup PG if not the starting PG spot.

well u kinda answered ur own dilemma...if sarunas is desired here its to upgrade the backup pg slot...he says he knows he probably wont start...he wants significant minutes....and as the backup pg for the pacers u could make a strong case for him getting lots of minutes and u would probably even see moments when both he and jt are on the floor together...

this being said...if the backup pg spot is deemed to be needed to be upgraded aj would be on his way out....which is fine, as ive stated, his trade value will never be higher and anyone who might be in need of a decent veteran point guard who plays decent defense will give him a serious look....especially if these teams are drafting a young point guard this year or have recently....

[QUOTE=Jay@Section204]Nobody has Bird rights on Dale. The easiest way to remember this is that you have to play for the same team for three seasons to get Bird rights. QUOTE]

Thanks jay:

I never knew about the 3 year deal for Bird rights.
    Well, if we have to use our MLE on Dale, I doubt if we could get a better player in for the money in free agency.

This is from the Boston Globe and Peter May

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketb...t_away?mode=PF

Foreign intrigue
    While on the international front, an Israeli newspaper had this headline Friday: ''Boston to Saras: If You're Willing to Talk, We Can Negotiate." Saras is the nickname for Maccabi Tel-Aviv's Sarunas Jasikevicius, the Lithuanian sharpshooter who is seriously contemplating making the jump from European rock star status to the NBA. The Celtics had general manager Chris Wallace at the European Final Four, won by Maccabi with Jasikevicius claiming MVP honors. Wallace said at the time that he anticipated Jasikevicius would try the NBA. Jasikevicius is a free agent and is believed to be chilling at his Barcelona crib. Along with the Celtics, the Pacers and Cavaliers are expected to have interest in Jasikevicius. Cleveland, in particular, could use a guy like him. Jasikevicius has signed on with Octagon Sports to do his NBA bidding.

Paahking my caahr in Haahvad Yaahd... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    Everytime this guys name comes up and they talk about him being such a great player and then the P's are mentioned I hear this little voice in the back of my head saying "Fuchka".........
    Heh, I remember a couple of summers ago the brief furor over him potentially signing before DW officially squashed the rumors. I guess he never did end up playing in the NBA...
    Your horse is dead, get off it already...

A CNN scouting report from 1998

A driving ambition brought Jasikevicius to College Park. (John W. McDonough)

Sarunas Jasikevicius,
    Maryland
    Class: Senior Position: Guard

Height: 6'4" Weight: 190

DOB: March 5, 1976

Hometown: Kaunas, Lithuania

High School: Quarryville (Pa.) Solanco

Vital Stats: 12.6 points per game, 3.3 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 40.1% three-pointers

by Albert Lin

There is no question why Sarunas Jasikevicius came to this country. The United States is the land of opportunity, after all, and that is exactly what Jasikevicius is looking for. "My parents want me to come here because of education. Basketball comes second to them," he said. "But for me, it comes first. [The NBA] has been my goal from the first time I knew what it was all about."

When things are going well, as they are now, Jasikevicius (pronounced yes-uh-KA-vi-shus) seems mere months from realizing his dream. "There ain't no way he's not going to play in the NBA," the league's director of scouting, Marty Blake, told The Washington Times two years ago. "That kid can really knock it down. It's funny that he's the one guy on [Maryland] that has can't-miss potential."

Paradoxically, when Blake made that pronouncement Jasikevicius was in the midst of deciding whether or not he wanted to transfer. With seniors Duane Simpkins, Johnny Rhodes and Exree Hipp ahead of him at the wing positions, he was not getting the playing time he thought he deserved. He had been willing to sit for one year, but as a sophomore he felt he was being denied a chance. "That was the bottom of everything," he said. "I was like, 'This is it for me.'" After analyzing the circumstances, however, he decided to stay in College Park for the obvious reason: With Simpkins, Rhodes and Hipp set to depart, playing time would be plentiful.

Jasikevicius has started every game since. As a junior, he went from 10th on the team in minutes to fourth and was the Terrapins' No. 3 scorer. This season he's been even better, improving his numbers in every department but rebounds. In addition to his shooting ability, Jasikevicius is a fine passer and has improved his defense. "We're not afraid to put him on anybody," coach Gary Williams said.

In the back of his mind, there always loomed an option: Jasikevicius could pack his bags and begin earning money playing basketball in his native Lithuania. "Every time I go home, they offer it," he said. But even at his low point, he never seriously considered the suggestion. "I don't want to go there," he said. "I want to go to college and see if I can do any better than Lithuania."

So far, so good.