Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Congrats on the championship David West

Mood

Default Re: Congrats on the championship David West

DWest gave up 11 million dollars to go to the spurs and not win a ring there. He could have collected that last 11 million here and then went to GS. No need to berate him, he's already been punished for leaving the team early.

11 million...just gone.
    Lifelong pacers fan

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pacers_heath For This Useful Post:

Not happy for him, not hating on him. He doesn't care about the Pacers and I don't care about David West or anybody else in the Finals.

Quote Originally Posted by rabid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Montieth wanted to have David West babies.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Sorry, I can't seem to embed a tweet on this site to save my life.

I was not happy with DWest's last season in Indy. But man there are some bitter folks here. I think it's clear that his overall contribution to Indy during his time here was a very positive one when you look at the entire body of work.

The "ring chaser" stuff does not bother me at all. He was 34, was pissed at how Bird publicly and needlessly humiliated Roy after he'd been dealt, knew the Pacers were no longer a contender (and probably that he himself couldn't play starter minutes at a high level anymore anyway), so he gave up 11 million and went to the Spurs. Big freaking deal. It's not like he played his whole career in Indy, just 4 years.

As for the "you can't be fired up after winning your first championship because you're just a role player now?" What the heck kind of argument is that???

I'm happy for the guy. Heck I was even happy for Artest when he got his ring, and that guy did far, far more damage to the franchise than just about any player we've had. Guess I don't hold those type of grudges.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Montieth wanted to have David West babies.
    Mike Wells too I guess?

"100 percent correct"

https://twitter.com/MikeWellsNFL/sta...81517016387585

Last edited by rabid; 06-13-2017 at 09:00 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

I was actually happy West left. Didn't even watch the Pacers enough his last season to see how he played. But happy he saved the Pacers cap room. Still a ring chaser though

I was not happy with DWest's last season in Indy. But man there are some bitter folks here. I think it's clear that his overall contribution to Indy during his time here was a very positive one when you look at the entire body of work.

The "ring chaser" stuff does not bother me at all. He was 34, was pissed at how Bird publicly and needlessly humiliated Roy after he'd been dealt, knew the Pacers were no longer a contender (and probably that he himself couldn't play starter minutes at a high level anymore anyway), so he gave up 11 million and went to the Spurs. Big freaking deal. It's not like he played his whole career in Indy, just 4 years.

As for the "you can't be fired up after winning your first championship because you're just a role player now?" What the heck kind of argument is that???

I'm happy for the guy. Heck I was even happy for Artest when he got his ring, and that guy did far, far more damage to the franchise than just about any player we've had. Guess I don't hold those type of grudges.
    Eh I wasn't happy for Artest but I was able to ignore him when the Lakers won because I really hated Boston more than Ron's crazy self.

Mike Wells too I guess?

"100 percent correct"

https://twitter.com/MikeWellsNFL/sta...81517016387585

Wells, Grady and Kravitz, Bob's mancrush was so bad that went West left he kept asking people on twitter to find him because he needed to talk to him.

Kravitz and Montieth wanted to marry him bad.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Montieth is not only a homer but he's wrong in this case. West didn't come to Indy to chase a ring. He came to contribute to a title run and perhaps earn a ring. In GS, dude is just riding coat tails. He knows he's done.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Montieth is not only a homer but he's wrong in this case. West didn't come to Indy to chase a ring. He came to contribute to a title run and perhaps earn a ring. In GS, dude is just riding coat tails. He knows he's done.
    I'm honestly trying to understand your logic here.

So if a player is young and in their prime and joins a contender, then they are "contributing to a title run." If they are older and are at the point in their career where they can only play limited / spot minutes and join a contender, they are a "ring chaser?" And that's bad? (EDIT: and why would the Golden State Warriors have signed him and played him minutes if he was "done?")

Honestly trying to see where the line is. The only distinction you're making is that he's nearing the end of his career now.

Also wondering why the dude isn't allowed to celebrate and be happy when he finally gets his ring...
    Last edited by rabid; 06-13-2017 at 09:59 PM.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Congrats to David West. He should celebrate just as hard as anyone else on that time. IMO, he's not just celebrating his time with his Warriors. He's obviously one of those players that truly wanted to experience winning a championship. He even gave up millions to do it. This championship is the culmination of years and years of hard work and sacrifice.

It's extremely petty to be upset with him for leaving to play for a championship.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

I'm honestly trying to understand your logic here.

So if a player is young and in their prime and joins a contender, then they are "contributing to a title run." If they are older and are at the point in their career where they can only play limited / spot minutes and join a contender, they are a "ring chaser?" And that's bad? (EDIT: and why would the Golden State Warriors have signed him and played him minutes if he was "done?")

Honestly trying to see where the line is. The only distinction you're making is that he's nearing the end of his career now.

Also wondering why the dude isn't allowed to celebrate and be happy when he finally gets his ring...
    I'm not in the "hate DWest crowd". I just about love the dude. ...and I'm fine with his ring chasing. But please don't tell me he earned anything.

As for ring chasers in general, yes they should be past prime. It's perfectly fine when a grey beard wants a little jewelry to pretend he's special. But if you are in your prime years (...and I'm looking at YOU Kevin Durant) and join a super team to make it a super duper team, you are breaking the freaking league. Heck, it's already broken. LeBron wasted little time manipulating and destroying the league. The only other people who damaged it worse were the people making rule changes that made the 3 point shot the only shot worth taking. SMH. This league should fold.

Edit: Oh, he can celebrate the ring along the same lines as a woman celebrates a new, fancy dress purchased by her fat cat squeeze. Enjoy it David. You didn't earn it any more than the rich &^#%^ earned the dress. So let's not get the big head. James Jones has 3 more of them things.
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 06-13-2017 at 11:16 PM.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

20. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Agree for everything except the last part. Sorry, cant be happy for someone who did that much damage to my favorite team

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    Agree for everything except the last part. Sorry, cant be happy for someone who did that much damage to my favorite team
    That anger is a little misguided. Be mad at that gym in Vegas for having the improper amount of clearance on their goal stantions. It did more damage to the Pacers than David West.

But please don't tell me he earned anything.
    Maybe it's the terminology you're using that I have an issue with, but he "earned" a ring as much as any 9th/10th person in the rotation of a championship team earns it. Are you really suggesting that only starter / star players "earn" that ring? I mean he played actual rotation minutes (key minutes in the clinching game no less), he mentored the young guys, practiced hard, was a voice in the locker room etc. He did what he was hired to do, no more no less.

Sure, it's not the same as doing it as a starter playing 30 mins a game. But he was part of the team. He's also saying "we" earned it. I didn't hear him saying a lot of "I earned it."

You didn't earn it any more than the rich &^#%^ earned the dress.
    This is a flat-out ignorant thing to say, not really worth a response.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    That anger is a little misguided. Be mad at that gym in Vegas for having the improper amount of clearance on their goal stantions. It did more damage to the Pacers than David West.
    I think he was actually responding to my bit about Artest. Which is a sentiment I totally understand. I'm conflicted as well, but I chose the side of being happy for him.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I like DWest even now. But still I'm curious what he's amped about. Serious question. I have no problem at all with him chasing rings at this stage, but I don't get why an accomplished NBA player may as well been the ball boy or a janitor or concession stand worker for a team he's never played on...and be amped. Again, serious question. His presence did not change the outcome or really move the needle. Also, it's not like anyone cares that James Jones has 3 rings (or does he?). This victory, if anything, might cheapen his legacy too. JMHO.

I tell you what, James Jones is going to be offered player development, or player relations or maybe even assistant coach when he stops playing. There is a reason LeBron James brought him along to Cleveland with him.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Huh? I actually wasn't talking about West at all in that post.

Maybe it's the terminology you're using that I have an issue with, but he "earned" a ring as much as any 9th/10th person in the rotation of a championship team earns it. Are you really suggesting that only starter / star players "earn" that ring? I mean he played actual rotation minutes (key minutes in the clinching game no less), he mentored the young guys, practiced hard, was a voice in the locker room etc. He did what he was hired to do, no more no less.

Sure, it's not the same as doing it as a starter playing 30 mins a game. But he was part of the team. He's also saying "we" earned it. I didn't hear him saying a lot of "I earned it."

This is a flat-out ignorant thing to say, not really worth a response.
    Again, I'm not against anything DWest has done. Actually a big fan of his. But there is a huge difference between a backup winning a ring and a guy who WAS an all-star caliber player and decided to ride coat tails to get a ring.

West has a reputation as a very good player. Add a ring to his status and people are going to think he was a key part of a title or has some additional "street cred" just because he has a ring. But he shouldn't get any more elevation from his current status as a all-star caliber player along the lines of a Danny Granger. The ring should not improve his legacy. IOW, ring chasers are not any better than the day they started chasing the ring. If we agree on that, there's no issue. But some think that ring adds a little status to DWest and I would have to disagree with that line of thinking.

...also, lighten up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    I tell you what, James Jones is going to be offered player development, or player relations or maybe even assistant coach when he stops playing. There is a reason LeBron James brought him along to Cleveland with him.
    Maybe so. My point though is that even James Jones didn't get a bump in his cred. Everyone knows he just road coat tails. Same with West. All I am saying is that it's just a hunk of metal they can wear. It doesn't actually mean anything more than if they bought a ring at the mall.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Everyone has reasons that they root for or against a team/player. Clearly a lot of people were turned off by the way it ended with West. I don't care one bit if people were glad to see him win a ring, but I think those who aren't glad have a legitimate gripe.

It would have been unreasonable to expect West to average 20 PPG and carry that team on a playoff run without PG. That being said, he didn't have to publicly throw the towel in on the season before it even tipped off. That was a bad "example" for the leader to set to the rest of the team. He pretty much said the season meant nothing before game 1. He was a great leader and player here as long as it was in his best interest to be. But he did give up on the organization as soon as PG went down, then was super smug and pius on the way out.

I just hope we don't have to stomach a Lap dog Kravitz interview article with West where we hear about how amazing "that feeling" of winning the title as a 4 PPG guy is.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

RWB

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Everyone has reasons that they root for or against a team/player. Clearly a lot of people were turned off by the way it ended with West. I don't care one bit if people were glad to see him win a ring, but I think those who aren't glad have a legitimate gripe.

It would have been unreasonable to expect West to average 20 PPG and carry that team on a playoff run without PG. That being said, he didn't have to publicly throw the towel in on the season before it even tipped off. That was a bad "example" for the leader to set to the rest of the team. He pretty much said the season meant nothing before game 1. He was a great leader and player here as long as it was in his best interest to be. But he did give up on the organization as soon as PG went down, then was super smug and pius on the way out.

I just hope we don't have to stomach a Lap dog Kravitz interview article with West where we hear about how amazing "that feeling" of winning the title as a 4 PPG guy is.
    From what I remember, he made the comment about the season being over during his interview with Kravitz AFTER he opted out.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Maybe so. My point though is that even James Jones didn't get a bump in his cred. Everyone knows he just road coat tails. Same with West. All I am saying is that it's just a hunk of metal they can wear. It doesn't actually mean anything more than if they bought a ring at the mall.
    If rings were so meaningless then guys wouldn't "chase" them as hard as they do during their careers.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    From what I remember, he made the comment about the season being over during his interview with Kravitz AFTER he opted out.
    On phone so can't link. Google "David West knows the end is near, but keeps working for the Pacers". It's a 10/1/14 article by Candace Buckner right before that 14-15 season. That's where he said "the light went out" when PG got hurt. We didn't need our leader moping around like that before the season tipped off.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 06-14-2017 at 12:56 PM.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post: