Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Congrats on the championship David West

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Congrats on the championship David West

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A non tanking DWest wasn't going to change things for that team. Even with a returning PG.

It's revisionist history to justify still being bitter at him. Because David west needs to be punished for the sin of leaving Indiana.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

To be clear I think he has a right to achieve his goals in his career but Dwest along with many others is the reason why I could care less about watching the NBA finals.

I personally hope the product suffers from the ring chasers and somehow corrects itself.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

West was my favorite Pacer while he was here. But the way he ran off ring-chasing after claiming that he was above that rubbed me the wrong way.

IOW...meh.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Riding coattails to a ring is kind of like the NBA's version of a participation trophy.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

David West would be riding coattails on any team he joins outside of the Sacramento Kings right now. He's not the same player he used to be. He went, played 13mpg, made his contributions, GSW decided they wanted him over others. He did his job. It would have been the same on any other team. But because GSW was good, he's a dick. Great logic.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    It's revisionist history to justify still being bitter at him. Because David west needs to be punished for the sin of leaving Indiana.
    It's a flat out lie to say that I'm upset with him for leaving Indiana at all. I'm not and said as much.

Do I judge him for how he played his last season here? Hell yeah I do. Dude was still making 11 mill a year and basically said the season was over Day 1 while supposedly being a leader. He deserves criticism for that.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    It's a flat out lie to say that I'm upset with him for leaving Indiana at all. I'm not and said as much.
    It's also a flat out lie to say he should have been expected to play better than he did his final season in Indiana at age 34 without Paul George for 30 minutes a night.

Of course he looked dead at times. He had way too much on his plate. I said that as it was happening.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

It's also a flat out lie to say he should have been expected to play better than he did his final season in Indiana at age 34 without Paul George for 30 minutes a night.

Of course he looked dead at times. He had way too much on his plate. I said that as it was happening.
    No, mine is an opinion. Very different things.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    David West would be riding coattails on any team he joins outside of the Sacramento Kings right now. He's not the same player he used to be. He went, played 13mpg, made his contributions, GSW decided they wanted him over others. He did his job. It would have been the same on any other team. But because GSW was good, he's a dick. Great logic.
    I believe there was a thread 2 years ago explaining the positions of most posters on here about David West leaving to chase rings first with the Spurs.

He lied 3 years ago saying he was above it and so I agree with Shade. Its a meh achievement considering his role on that team much like Brandon Rush.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I loved West as a Pacer. Didn't mind when he moved on. Lost a little respect when he started chasing a ring with the Spurs. And a little more when he joined GSW.

Gotta respect Reggie.
    "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Riding coattails to a ring is kind of like the NBA's version of a participation trophy.
    We should sticky this.

I am disappointed with the way we chose to spend that money.

Same applies to how Hibbert's salary was used. Neither were one of Bird's finest shinning moments.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

I was thrilled when he opted out. Hated how we used both his and Roy's cap space. Garbage bin shopping at it's finest IMO.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    That's the thing, West merely being on their roster wasn't an "accomplishment" lol. It's not like he was Dallas Tyson Chandler or something.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

West moping around to reporters about the "light going out" as soon as PG went down had nothing to do with him being a poor soul who just asked to do too much on the basketball court when PG went down. West quit on the organization as soon as PG got hurt.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

When you've put in your time the way West has, you deserve to choose where you want to play. If you want to finish out your career being a backup on a championship team, more power to you.

I dont see how or why thats shameful in any way imaginable.

West was unheralded out of college, and made himself into an AS in NO. Then he got hurt right before he hit FA, came to Indy and quickly became a cornerstone for the team. He wasn't a superstar, but he was a leader on the court and helped us be competitive against some pretty strong Miami Heat teams.

Once his best days were clearly behind him, he exercised his player option and went to a team where he'd have less responsibility and could compete for a championship.

Failing to see why some are hating on that kind of career, but to each their own. I'm glad he got his ring, great cap to a solid pro career.

27. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Do I judge him for how he played his last season here? Hell yeah I do. Dude was still making 11 mill a year and basically said the season was over Day 1 while supposedly being a leader. He deserves criticism for that.
    Everyone forgets that David was Injured at the beginning of that season. It was very clear that he was no longer the same guy after that.

Did he give up at times? Yes. But he also didnt have much to give anyway. Once Paul went down it was clear that team had no shot at competing

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    When you've put in your time the way West has, you deserve to choose where you want to play. If you want to finish out your career being a backup on a championship team, more power to you.

West was unheralded out of college, and made himself into an AS in NO. Then he got hurt right before he hit FA, came to Indy and quickly became a cornerstone for the team. He wasn't a superstar, but he was a leader on the court and helped us be competitive against some pretty strong Miami Heat teams.

Once his best days were clearly behind him, he exercised his player option and went to a team where he'd have less responsibility and could compete for a championship.

Failing to see why some are hating on that kind of career, but to each their own. I'm glad he got his ring, great cap to a solid pro career.
    I have to agree. DWest gave us some good years. He kind of mailed it in that last year, but otherwise nobody should be complaining. He wasn't going to lead that team anywhere and he was at that age he needed to chase a ring. Still I don't get how he could be amp'ed up about that. Ring chasers should know their place. They are not much far removed than one of the fans in terms of earning the ring.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

Funny thing is, West could have lied and said he didn't mail it in his final season and his drop off was due to age, and I would have believed him.

Default Congrats on the championship David West

The saltiness on this board relates more to his on court and off court behavior his final year here. From my vantage point, that's a fair criticism. There was a little bit of holier than thou attitude, and that ruffled peoples feathers. Mine included.

But a long time has passed since then, and I think it's a pretty bad look to dog this time of his life. He deserves this moment, and deserves accolades overall for what he's accomplished in his career. The good far outweighed the bad.

There was another interview he took with David Aldridge last night that I left pretty impressed by. He's a thoughtful person and I admired what he had to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by docpaul; 06-13-2017 at 07:12 PM.

Congrats ring chaser

Everyone forgets that David was Injured at the beginning of that season. It was very clear that he was no longer the same guy after that.

Did he give up at times? Yes. But he also didnt have much to give anyway. Once Paul went down it was clear that team had no shot at competing

Yeah that's a good excuse now but I remember how hard it was to call him out, I was told that his game (like Granger) was "old man game" so he was going to be good until he was 40.

Then his game started to go to **** and the excuse became "well we need his leadership, toughness and blah blah blah".

Hell me calling that guy out (before everybody realized he was a phony) was one of the reasons why I was banned lol
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I am not at all sour. I am glad GS won because LeBron lost again in the finals. I also like DWest a lot. I am just trying to understand how a guy can be amp'ed in that situation. I guess he finally caught his ring, but I am not sure I would wear it. He was nearly in a casket when it was handed to him.
    It would be one thing if he didn't even play very much like Mitch Richmond on the Lakers in 2000(ugh) and Juwan Howard on the Heat a few years back.

But West actually you know played meaningful minutes. Its not like he was ever a star but a solid contributor. People tend to ignore the glue guys on the team but they tend to be more important than the stars just with less recognition.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    The saltiness on this board relates more to his on court and off court behavior his final year here. From my vantage point, that's a fair criticism. There was a little bit of holier than thou attitude, and that ruffled peoples feathers. Mine included.

But a long time has passed since then, and I think it's a pretty bad look to dog this time of his life. He deserves this moment, and deserves accolades overall for what he's accomplished in his career. The good far outweighed the bad.

There was another interview he took with David Aldridge last night that I left pretty impressed by. He's a thoughtful person and I admired what he had to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Its a bit unfair IMO.

We always ask our athletes to be open and honest about their thoughts and feelings. David was about as honest as could be when it comes to his thoughts when Paul went down, and the reasons why he left here.

Dont get me wrong, as a fan I never want to hear that a player knew the season was over once the star was injured. Those guys get paid way too much to have excuses to quit IMO. But the reality of the situation was that the Pacers season was over the second Paul snapped his leg in half. David was just more forthcoming with his opinion regarding it than most athletes are.

Should there be saltiness just because you guys dont agree with his thoughts? Would you have rather he lied?

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

I think what happened what a lot of Pacer fans (including many on this board) put West on a pedestal and weren't willing to come to the realization that he was a human being not worth of idolizing. I think they initially saw him as this culture-changing leader, both in the locker room taming Lance and big-upping Roy, and on the court calling out orders and taking the big shot. His reputation surely exceeded his true impact. He didn't hold the locker room together in any special way; it disintegrated before our eyes after the Granger trade. His defensive prowess was more due to him playing with GHill, Paul, and Roy most of the time, and Vogel's schemes. His barking at the refs was ignored until the end of his time here. He did a good-to-great job at the things he was asked to do. Then, he got a little older and a little worse at all that.

Then, he did some human things. Not always admirable, or pedestal-worthy, but human. He didn't try as hard when faced with a difficult situation that left him undermotivated and underwhelmed with the future. Then, he changed his mind and left money on the table for a better job, going to two different organizations trumpeted for having great working cultures. He wanted to be part of a place where people actually get along and innovate and work together, along with reaching impressive accomplishments. (The Pacers haven't been an organization like that for some time, even with the back-to-back conference finals run.) He also criticized Larry Bird for how Roy's situation was handled, sticking up for a vulnerable guy who lost a lot of favor, over an arrogant, graceless executive.

I think that sports fans are really bad thinking about the players as humans. Maybe Pacer fans are even a little worse than average. They sure are in this case, from what I've observed. Many wanted West to be one of the idols of Pacers lore. I'm not sure we've had one since Reggie. Good-to-great players, sure. But not many where we forget about their humanity and still like them a whole lot to the point where we remember them fondly. I don't admire David West like I do a good number of former and current Pacer players. But I do find the level of animosity on this board baffling. Beyond simply "getting over it," there's not much ability to process him differently from the player many thought he was to the player and person he is. I'm somewhat glad for him.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post: