Thread: Question of the day (june 8th): Could J.J. Fill Need for Perimeter Punch?

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Default Question of the day (june 8th): Could J.J. Fill Need for Perimeter Punch?

"Could J.J. Fill Need for Perimeter Punch?

Wednesday, June 8, 2005

QUESTION
    OF THE DAY
    Conrad Brunner

Q. I have noticed that most people are concerned about the Pacers' outside shooting and how we "need another weapon." However, I believe we have that weapon in James Jones. When the starters went down with injuries and suspensions, he stepped his game up incredibly. Also, during the playoffs, he was incredibly clutch on defense with steals and blocks and offense with consistent shooting. Assuming the Pacers are able to keep him, what's the probability that he will become a part of the regular second-team rotation? Would he sub for (Stephen) Jackson and (Ron) Artest? (From Max in Dallas)

A. James Jones took several steps in the career evolution process this season. Though the acquisition of Stephen Jackson could've meant little or no playing time and quite possibly no roster spot at all he simply continued his hard work, kept his confidence up and in the immediate aftermath of Nov. 19 had a coming-out party, scoring 22 against Orlando and 27 in Seattle while averaging 15.7 points in a six-game span. Defenses adjusted, took away the 3-point shot and his productivity sagged and, as suspended and injured players returned to action, his playing time dwindled.

But Jones is nothing if not relentless and he made adjustments to his game, worked on an up-and-under move that would use the threat of the 3-point shot to get an open mid-range jumper while also improving his overall game ballhandling, rebounding, individual defense. Late in the year, he showed a much more complete game and was again producing regular double-figure scoring games off the bench. He did so four times in April after just twice in the previous three months.

While he made major strides and established himself as a legitimate NBA player, it remains to be seen how prominent a role he'll play next season. Behind Jackson and Artest at shooting guard and small forward, James and Fred Jones currently are the two primary substitutes. Both are emerging players who helped their causes immensely last season, but the Pacers may still be on the lookout for a proven veteran to round out the rotation at those two critical positions."

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_050608.html

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Question of the day (june 8th): Could J.J. Fill Need for Perimeter Punch?

What I like about JJ is that he is fearless. He can play inside and outside and he is a good defender. I think him playing center in college has helped him understand the importance of using your quickness on defense. I will be very disappointed if he isn't re-signed.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Default Re: Question of the day (june 8th): Could J.J. Fill Need for Perimeter Punch?

Both are emerging players who helped their causes immensely last season, but the Pacers may still be on the lookout for a proven veteran to round out the rotation at those two critical positions.
    They sure keep dropping that hint a lot. I just wonder if they're thinking "Ray Allen" and "Michael Redd" or "Kerry Kittles" and "Jon Barry"...
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Quote Originally Posted by blanket
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They sure keep dropping that hint a lot. I just wonder if they're thinking "Ray Allen" and "Michael Redd" or "Kerry Kittles" and "Jon Barry"...
    Yup! A few days ago with Bruno's question of the day, followed on the same day by the article about this coming summer on Pacers.com aswell, than the comments from Rick which might be interpretated in this way.

I am curious what we will do. I remember a few years ago when Donnie was talking about "championship moves" to acquire that last thing on our team, so a lot of anticipation placed by those remarks. So, who did we in the end had our eyes on? Yup, Jon Barry. Still happy we didn't get him, like his shooting ok, but I HATE his defense.

Regards,

Mourning

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    My only fear is how once teams figured out his game (after 2 weeks) he really wasnt able to do much.

I do like how he developed that little inside jumper and used his pump fake towards the end of the season and into the playoffs.

I dont think hell ever be a allstar, but I can see him as a great "role" player
    Same here!

Regards,

Mourning

Pacerforever247

JJ is one best shootin fowards on team but his over all game will imporove pls sign the guy and be da 6th man

Quote Originally Posted by blanket
    Michael Curry!

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerforever247
    JJ is one best shootin fowards on team but his over all game will imporove pls sign the guy and be da 6th man

No offense, but did some snot-nosed twerp named JO7 teach you grammar?
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Jesus Shuttlesworth

Plus JJ is not going to be the sixth man on this team try 9th or 10th

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Shuttlesworth
    Plus JJ is not going to be the sixth man on this team try 9th or 10th
    Besides the obvious ones (JO, Jeff, Stephen, Jamaal, Ron, and I suppose Dale and Freddie) who exactly moves JJ down that low?

JJ hopefully will get some significant minutes, because we need someone to score off the bench. Hopefully he and Freddy will shoot a lot.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Frontcourt (PF/C) - DD or Jeff 1st off bench, depending on which one starts

PG - AJ 1st off bench

Wings (SG/SF) - JJ or Freddie 1st off bench depending on whether Jax or Artest comes out of the game and on whether Jax is slid up to SF if Artest comes out.

I would think that JJ, at the lowest, will be the #8 player, solidly in the rotation. He could be the 1st SF/SG off the bench. And will certainly be ahead of Croshere, Pollard, Gill, Edwards, Bender, Harrison, #1 pick.

3ptmiller

Hell yea he could fill the need from Perimeter! I think JJ is very accurate Perimeter shooter and is very clutch aswell...