Thread: WOW!

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default WOW!

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draf...chad&id=2079583

The most interesting draft rumor flying around this weekend had the Blazers and Celtics talking about a deal that would send Paul Pierce to Portland for the No. 3 pick in the draft and Nick Van Exel.

On Tuesday, Celtics director of basketball operations Danny Ainge shot that rumor down, telling Insider it was "ludicrous." Ainge said he had no intention of trading Pierce, especially for a draft pick.

Still, it's an interesting idea.

Van Exel has a team option on his contract this year. That means the Celtics could trade for his $12.7 million contract, and essentially waive him without owing him a penny. In other words, the Celtics would get the draft pick and cut their cap by more than $13 million (Pierce makes a little more than Van Exel).

It's obvious why the Blazers would do it. Adding an All-Star like Pierce at the two would be a major upgrade. If Portland could find a veteran point guard in free agency to back up Sebastian Telfair, it could be back in the playoff mix next year.

The Celtics also have motivation to do a deal like this. Pierce is unhappy. The Celtics don't sound like they're bringing back Antoine Walker and Gary Payton (both are free agents) next season, which is only going to make matters worse with Pierce.

By not re-signing Walker and Payton and by trading Pierce, the Celtics could accomplish a couple of things.

First, by making the move, Boston would be around $10 million under the cap going into the summer. That would allow Ainge to be aggressive on the free agent market. The Celtics would love to have a long, athletic shot blocker like Samuel Dalembert, Tyson Chandler or Stromile Swift. They would have enough cash to be a contender for one of these players by trading Pierce.

Second, the Celtics would be in a position to draft a potential superstar such as North Carolina swingman Marvin Williams or Wake Forest point guard Chris Paul. One of these two should be on the board at No. 3. They'd also retain their No. 18 pick in the draft.

While making these moves would likely mean the Celtics slip a little in the standings next year, Ainge would be putting together a pretty awesome long-term foundation for the Green. Both Paul and Williams have the potential to be superstars. Al Jefferson looks like he could be an All-Star someday. Delonte West and Tony Allen also appear to have bright NBA futures.

The downside of the deal is just as troubling. Ainge would be trading a proven star and scorer for potential and cap room. Given how lopsided the trades of Shaquille O'Neal, Vince Carter and Tracy McGrady have looked in hindsight, you can understand the hesitation.
    ++++++++++++++++

How about GP and NVE on the same team.............
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: WOW!

clearly, Pierce has worn out his welcome in Boston....

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Thank god it looks like Ainge is too stupid to do that deal. Yeah, it'd hurt in the short run, but damn they'd be good in a couple years.

I just looked up on Hoopshype, and if they did this, their base salary would be $32 million. Depending on how the cap ends up after the CBA, they could probably sign a max player, too.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Wow, Peirce sure has fallen. We should be able to offer something better than that. How about Croshere/Bender for him?
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thank god it looks like Ainge is too stupid to do that deal. Yeah, it'd hurt in the short run, but damn they'd be good in a couple years.

I just looked up on Hoopshype, and if they did this, their base salary would be $32 million. Depending on how the cap ends up after the CBA, they could probably sign a max player, too.

did i not read somewhere recently that supposedly ainge is completely enamored with chris paul??? something about comparing him to zeke?...or am i totally dreaming....coulda sworn i saw something like that...which given the typical misdirection...even if my recollections are correct he probably has his eye on someone else...

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by TruWarier
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow, Peirce sure has fallen. We should be able to offer something better than that. How about Croshere/Bender for him?
    Uh... no offense but your logic makes no sense. A #3 and cap space is millions of times better than Cro and Bender, both still have long contracts.

The Celtics would essentially be trading 2 for 1 in this deal, with getting a max or close to max player, and the #3 pick. The Celtics should then make sure at #3 they could get Marvin Williams, unless the Bucks get him at 1.

I think they should go after either Redd or Joe Johnson (again) and you'd have....

PG/Banks
    Redd or Johnson/Allen
    Ricky Davis/
    Al Jefferson/Williams
    Raef/Blount

Honestly looking at it like that, there is no real reason for them to draft Williams unless they felt he and Jefferson could play together. A PG is much more of a need and Chris Paul will be gone at 2 unless again the Bucks take Williams.

The Celtics should still do this deal easily. When you could sign a player that's nearly as good as Paul plus get the #3 pick, it's an easy move.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

woman without a team

Well, Ainge has been known to change his mind. I seem to recall at one time he thought Antoine Walker wasn't much. As far as I'm concerned he still isn't much, but that didn't stop Ainge from bringing him back.

foretaz

i fail to see how ainges blatant denial of this rumor means anything....i mean would anyone expect him to say...'yea, we might do that?'

lol..cmon...

Getting Chris Paul or Marvin Williams and 12 million dollars off the cap would be a great trade IF (and only if) THE CAP SPACE COULD BE USED WISELY.

I'd rather have Chris Paul or Marvin Williams AND Ray Allen or Tyson Chandler than an unhappy Paul Pierce any day. They would be better next year and for the next 10 years.

The wisdom of the trade would rely on a successful followup free agent signing. Chicago showed us a few years back that having a lot of cap space is worthless if the only people who want to sign with you are the Ron Mercers of the world.

If I were Ainge and knew the agents well enough to think that I have a 75% chance of signing an all-star caliber free agent, I'd pull the trigger on that deal in a heartbeat. Add a good free agent now after dropping the $$$ for Pierce-Walker-Payton, and after next year the Vin Baker buyout comes off the books IIRC, so they'd be a free agent player again. They have a reasonable payroll except for LaFrentz and the awful awful awful Mark Blount contract.