Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 61

Thread: Silver says new rest guidelines will emphasize rest at home, not multiple stars on same night

  1. #1

    Default Silver says new rest guidelines will emphasize rest at home, not multiple stars on same night

    http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/06/10/...-same-tonight/

    Silver says new rest guidelines will emphasize rest at home, not multiple stars on same night


    NBA Commissioner Adam Silver knows the NBA is in a tough spot when it comes to rest — the sciences shows players perform better and are less likely to be injured with it, but for an entertainment business to have its biggest stars sitting games out (especially on the road or on national television) is bad optics.

    “Back to your point about the science and the data, is that it’s not 82 games, it’s not the length of the season, it’s the time between the games and that there’s a direct correlation between fatigue and injury on the part of the players…” Silver said before Game 1 of these NBA Finals. “We had a good discussion with our teams at our last owners meeting, which was in April, and I think there is a recognition from teams that on one hand a certain amount of resting is just inevitable and appropriate to keep the players healthy, but that they shouldn’t be resting multiple starters on the same night,” Silver said. “And, incidentally, wherever possible, they should rest at home.”

    Those concepts are headed to become guidelines from the competition committee to the teams, Silver told Marc Stein on ESPN Radio before Game 4.

    “Where we’re heading is the adoption of guidelines that will be in place for next season which will strongly recommend that the extent they rest, they rest at home, and teams also not rest multiple starters on the same night,” Silver said. “Let’s see how that plays out.

    “I’m reluctant to get into the business of directing these great coaches on minutes. As you know, players are often injured during the season, not to the point where they otherwise can’t play but maybe shouldn’t play. Then it’s a function of league doctors versus team doctors on how healthy a player is and whether it’s appropriate a player should be on the floor that night.

    “I’d like to come up with a system that relies on the good faith of our teams that to the extent rest is necessary — and it is on occasion — that it’s done in an appropriate [manner] but the league executives are not dictating to coaches and GMs precisely what games their players should or shouldn’t be playing in.”

    Yes, these are going to be just “guidelines” but the coaches ad GMs will know that if healthy players are rested, if this image problem continues, the guidelines could morph into something teams will like far less.

    It will be interesting to see how this plays out next season. Will teams actually rest players at home? Forget that the teams want to make their season ticket holders and sponsors happy, the games at home tend to be spaced out. It’s 0n the road where the back-to-backs and four-in-five-nights come, and that’s where the teams need to rest their players.

    Which is to say, the guidelines have to be paired with better, more spaced out scheduling from the NBA to make it all work.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Member BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    23,857

    Default Re: Silver says new rest guidelines will emphasize rest at home, not multiple stars on same night

    Easy solution. Just schedule less games.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    58
    Posts
    17,023

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Silver says new rest guidelines will emphasize rest at home, not multiple stars on same night

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Easy solution. Just schedule less games.
    BillS

    A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    "I'm your huckleberry"
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,241

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Silver says new rest guidelines will emphasize rest at home, not multiple stars on same night

    But what about that poor family who can only afford to go to one game all year and all little Timmy wants is to see his idol play? Unfortunately, his idol sits out for that one home game. Poor Timmy and his family. All of that money for parking next to the entrance, four pennants, four hot dogs, four popcorns, four Pepsi's, and four programs is all for naught. This is the same family used in every example of how expensive it is to go to games, just in case their buying habits seem familiar.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to DocHolliday For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    35
    Posts
    33,024

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Silver says new rest guidelines will emphasize rest at home, not multiple stars on same night

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Easy solution. Just schedule less games.
    yeah. Just tell the players to scale down their contracts. That will go over well. I'm sure the owners would also love fewer home dates to fill their expensive arenas and giving a portion of that TV money back.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  10. #6
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    35
    Posts
    33,024

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Silver says new rest guidelines will emphasize rest at home, not multiple stars on same night

    My suggestion is this: we know what the schedule is months before the season ever begins. Give teams a deadline to inform the NBA of the home dates their stars will be "resting" so they can coordinate appropriately with their TV partners, and fans won't feel cheated buying those tickets with the knowledge that they probably won't see a full roster. It doesn't mean those players will be banned from playing in those games, but it gives people a warning that they might not.
    Last edited by Kstat; 06-10-2017 at 06:30 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,274

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Silver says new rest guidelines will emphasize rest at home, not multiple stars on same night

    Like Kstat wrote, there needs to be a deadline to inform the NBA of those intentional rest days. However, I say if a star player isn't injured, he must play at least 10min in a designated rest game. Star players are making a ***** ton of money, and shouldn't be babied. Fans pay a lot of money to see these games.

    You want millions upon millions of dollars, then you better play.
    First time in a long time, I've been happy with the team that was constructed, and now they struggle. I blame the coach.

  13. #8
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    35
    Posts
    33,024

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Silver says new rest guidelines will emphasize rest at home, not multiple stars on same night

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Like Kstat wrote, there needs to be a deadline to inform the NBA of those intentional rest days. However, I say if a star player isn't injured, he must play at least 10min in a designated rest game. Star players are making a ***** ton of money, and shouldn't be babied. Fans pay a lot of money to see these games.

    You want millions up millions of dollars, then you better play.
    It's a fine line. the more expensive players are, the more incentive there is to keep them healthy. As Silver said, it's a bad road for the NBA to getting into the business of coaching teams.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  15. #9
    Member BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    23,857

    Default Re: Silver says new rest guidelines will emphasize rest at home, not multiple stars on same night

    Fans are being cheated any time players rest. It's like going to a concert and the lead singer is tired so you listen to their backup. SMH. How this is even debatable is beyond me.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

  16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  17. #10
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    35
    Posts
    33,024

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Silver says new rest guidelines will emphasize rest at home, not multiple stars on same night

    You love to throw the word "cheating" to signify some silly moral outrage any time there's something you don't like.

    You pay to see the team on the ticket, not a specific player. If lebron turns an ankle and can't play the next night, is that "cheating?" Now it's implied but nowhere is it guaranteed. Players get hurt. Players get suspended. Players get traded, all in short notice. I'm all for streamlining things to make it easier of fans and TV partners but little Timmy needs to get over it. The NBA isn't the only league that rests guys, and his life won't be ruined because his dad bought a Spurs ticket and didn't get to see kawhi Lenard.
    Last edited by Kstat; 06-10-2017 at 07:43 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  19. #11

    Default Re: Silver says new rest guidelines will emphasize rest at home, not multiple stars on same night

    If you can't afford to take your family to a Pacers game then you should not be having a family.

  20. #12
    Member BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    23,857

    Default Re: Silver says new rest guidelines will emphasize rest at home, not multiple stars on same night

    Quote Originally Posted by I Love P View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you can't afford to take your family to a Pacers game then you should not be having a family.
    Wow. Stated like a very hard-core pacer fan...lol.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

  21. #13
    Member BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    23,857

    Default Re: Silver says new rest guidelines will emphasize rest at home, not multiple stars on same night

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You love to throw the word "cheating" to signify some silly moral outrage any time there's something you don't like.

    You pay to see the team on the ticket, not a specific player. If lebron turns an ankle and can't play the next night, is that "cheating?" Now it's implied but nowhere is it guaranteed. Players get hurt. Players get suspended. Players get traded, all in short notice. I'm all for streamlining things to make it easier of fans and TV partners but little Timmy needs to get over it. The NBA isn't the only league that rests guys, and his life won't be ruined because his dad bought a Spurs ticket and didn't get to see kawhi Lenard.
    I wonder how the NBA and its players would feel if the fans decided they were tired of paying for the tickets every so often. And you're absolutely wrong the fans don't come to games for the sole purpose of seeing specific players...
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  23. #14

    Default Re: Silver says new rest guidelines will emphasize rest at home, not multiple stars on same night

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow. Stated like a very hard-core pacer fan...lol.
    It's true. You can get $6 tickets on stubhub & you can park for $2 down there. I went to my cousins sectional high school basketball game & I think the tickets were $8. Cheaper to go to an NBA game.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to I Love P For This Useful Post:


  25. #15
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,571

    Default Re: Silver says new rest guidelines will emphasize rest at home, not multiple stars on same night

    There's too many games in the NBA as it is. Cut 20 games off the schedule and go from there.
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  27. #16
    Member BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    23,857

    Default Re: Silver says new rest guidelines will emphasize rest at home, not multiple stars on same night

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's too many games in the NBA as it is. Cut 20 games off the schedule and go from there.
    That will not happen. NBA does not care about quality only money.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  29. #17
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    35
    Posts
    33,024

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Silver says new rest guidelines will emphasize rest at home, not multiple stars on same night

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's too many games in the NBA as it is. Cut 20 games off the schedule and go from there.
    ...and tell Paul George to take a 25% pay cut...

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  31. #18
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    35
    Posts
    33,024

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Silver says new rest guidelines will emphasize rest at home, not multiple stars on same night

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder how the NBA and its players would feel if the fans decided they were tired of paying for the tickets every so often. And you're absolutely wrong the fans don't come to games for the sole purpose of seeing specific players...
    1. The NBA makes so much money off of TV and league PASS that ticket revenue is no longer their main revenue stream. If no one showed up at all they'd still make money.

    2. Those fans are naive and have only themselves to blame. If you only care about seeing one specific player, don't buy the ticket.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  32. #19

    Default Re: Silver says new rest guidelines will emphasize rest at home, not multiple stars on same night

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1. The NBA makes so much money off of TV and league PASS that ticket revenue is no longer their main revenue stream. If no one showed up at all they'd still make money.

    2. Those fans are naive and have only themselves to blame. If you only care about seeing one specific player, don't buy the ticket.
    While I do agree with you the NBA touts individual players moreso than teams. So they shouldn't be surprised if fans want to see a certain player rather than a team. If they wanted fans to watch the team regardless maybe they should promote the league as team oriented rather than individual players and their "brands"

  33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:


  34. #20
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    35
    Posts
    33,024

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Silver says new rest guidelines will emphasize rest at home, not multiple stars on same night

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While I do agree with you the NBA touts individual players moreso than teams. So they shouldn't be surprised if fans want to see a certain player rather than a team. If they wanted fans to watch the team regardless maybe they should promote the league as team oriented rather than individual players and their "brands"
    And if you're disgusted by it then fine. Don't buy a ticket. But players rarely played every game even before this trend of resting. While I sympathize to a degree, most of it comes off as manufactured outrage.

    You're not entitled to see exactly what you want when you buy a ticket. That's always been the case. If you're scared of being let down then don't go.
    Last edited by Kstat; 06-10-2017 at 09:42 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  35. #21
    let's do better Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    23,750

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Silver says new rest guidelines will emphasize rest at home, not multiple stars on same night

    I hope LeBron rests the next time the Andersons get tickets to the game

    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

  36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  37. #22
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,571

    Default Re: Silver says new rest guidelines will emphasize rest at home, not multiple stars on same night

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...and tell Paul George to take a 25% pay cut...
    Tell him that 20 games less per year could extend his and other's careers. Longer careers = more career earning potential. Also, tell him a better product could ultimately be worth more money, even with shorter seasons.
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  38. #23
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    35
    Posts
    33,024

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Silver says new rest guidelines will emphasize rest at home, not multiple stars on same night

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tell him that 20 games less per year could extend his and other's careers. Longer careers = more career earning potential. Also, tell him a better product could ultimately be worth more money, even with shorter seasons.
    You realize none of that is practical, right?

    Would you like your employer to tell you to take a 25% pay cut "for your own career?" These are adults, not children. I'm guessing pie in the sky logic is a hard sell.
    Last edited by Kstat; 06-10-2017 at 10:17 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  39. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  40. #24
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    6,036

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Silver says new rest guidelines will emphasize rest at home, not multiple stars on same night

    The "Poor Timothy" argument is so stupid. Basketball games are not once in a lifetime events. Games happen every year, and happen every week. Silver is doing the right by limiting rest on AWAY games. At least you're able to have a higher chance to see your favorite player if he plays on a different team. If your a fan of the TEAM, then you have 35+ chances to see your team play locally.


    Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

  41. #25
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    6,036

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Silver says new rest guidelines will emphasize rest at home, not multiple stars on same night

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize none of that is practical, right?

    Would you like your employer to tell you to take a 25% pay cut "for your own career?" These are adults, not children. I'm guessing pie in the sky logic is a hard sell.
    I wish my employer would try to tell me that they're cutting me 10 hours a week to increase the length of my "career". I would go ballistic. Dude, I'm not trying to work forever. I want to eventually retire someday.


    Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

  42. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •