Thread: Just venting and ranting and raving...

Hybrid View

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Just venting and ranting and raving...

START RANT...

How would you feel?

My brother, 17, has a child. His girlfriend's (the girlfriend is 15) parents are quite well off.

My brother doesn't have a job. He is now out of school for the summer and will be a senior next year.

The girlfriend's parents had gotten them a brand new GMC Canyon 4x4 truck. They've had it a little over a year.

As of yesterday they were going to let them trade in the Canyon and a Camping trailer that the parents had bought for them for a Hummer, but they instead settled for a brand new GMC Envoy, fully loaded (DVD, etc.)

I find something wrong with him not working, and I've voiced my opinion to my mother an father, and was basically told to shut up.

But this is sickening. I see my brother not realizing he needs to be responsible. My parents seem to think this is ok. I don't.

It's kind of depressing. I've tried to do things the "right" way, if there is such a thing. I have a degree; I'm married; I bought a house; I have a full-time job; I pay all my bills.

Just a rant. Maybe I'm being selfish, but I just want my brother to be appreciative of what he has and "man" up and take some responsibility.

I'm not into material possessions, but I think it's sickening to see a 17 year old kid handed the keys to a brand new vehicle without working for it, or even putting out the effort of trying to work for it.

END OF RANT.

Default Re: Just venting and ranting and raving...

Next best thing I can think of is talk to your brother face-to-face.

A child at 15? Wow.

It sounds like the parents are trying to ease the burden of having to deal with a child at such a young age.

They might have gone a bit far though.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A child at 15? Wow.

It sounds like the parents are trying to ease the burden of having to deal with a child at such a young age.

They might have gone a bit far though.
    Actually, a child at 14.

Sounds to me like her family has some issues.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

woman without a team

I'm not "issues" covers what is wrong with her family. As for parents, well, I'd handle things a lot differently.

Stryder, since no one in your family apprears to be listening to your very good advice the only advice I can give you is to lead by example.

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by grace
    I'm not "issues" covers what is wrong with her family. As for parents, well, I'd handle things a lot differently.

Stryder, since no one in your family apprears to be listening to your very good advice the only advice I can give you is to lead by example.
    Thanks for the advice.

As of last night, I told myself that I wasn't going to worry about the situation and just live my own life by my standards.

Ugh. This kind of shiznit happens all the time with the kids I work with.

My advice: You can't do anything, don't try. This family is deep into their crap. Life will teach the lessons here, not you. Just do the best you can with your own life, they'll see it believe me. When the bottom falls out, be a good friend and continue to live a life they can learn from. That's about the best you can do.
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious Tyrant
    Ugh. This kind of shiznit happens all the time with the kids I work with.

My advice: You can't do anything, don't try. This family is deep into their crap. Life will teach the lessons here, not you. Just do the best you can with your own life, they'll see it believe me. When the bottom falls out, be a good friend and continue to live a life they can learn from. That's about the best you can do.
    Thanks.

I've been trying to do what you said and I will continue to do it, but sometimes, it just gets me down...

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder
    but sometimes, it just gets me down...
    Of course it does. People you care about are damaging themselves, and taking a child with them.

"If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

Arrgh! Grace you beat me to the punch!

Stryder, I completely agree with you.

The word that kept coming to my mind is adoption. I have a sister who was unable to have kids herself so they adopted from "young parents" and it has been great, and the young parents can make grow up as the should.