Thread: word on Hakim Warrick

Default word on Hakim Warrick

If anyone's interested in us picking him up in the draft

According to ESPN insider...

"Warrick worked out for the Knicks, Hornets, Blazers, Clippers, Lakers, Raptors and Bobcats.

The reviews have been mixed. Teams love the athleticism and pedigree, but he plays so effortlessly that it often looks like he's coasting. He worked out vigerously for an hour alongside the 76ers' Andre Iguodala on Tuesday -- and barely broke a sweat. Despite the appearance, Grover says Warrick's one of the hardest workers in the gym.
    Warrick was in Charlotte on Monday working out for the Bobcats. After the workout GM Bernie Bickerstaff complimented Warrick on his improved mid-range jumper. He wasn't kidding.
    Warrick barely missed from inside 18 feet today. His shooting mechanics are silky smooth. He gets such great lift on his jumper that its going to be hard to stop at the pro level. The only real knock is that he hasn't developed real NBA 3-point range ... yet.
    Warrick's been working out with Grover for eight weeks in an attempt to work on his perimeter skills and add weight to his super-thin frame. The shot looks great, but his body is still a work in progress.
    Grover had him up to 228 before workouts began. But he's already dropped back down to 220. That's still an 18-pound improvement from when he came in. That's right -- he came into Grover's weighing 202 pounds.
    Grover believes Warrick eventually will weigh around 235, but Warrick has to keep drinking his protein shakes.
    The reason his weight is such as issue is that teams are still trying to figure out his position in the pros. Warrick has the length and leaping ability to be a dominant 4, but he's going to have to keep packing on the weight if he's going to guard NBA power forwards.
    That's why the focus, for now, is on highlighting his skills as a 3. He still needs to work on his ballhandling and his long-range shooting, but he's improved dramatically in a short time. And in a few years, if the pounds ever come, he could be a big-time 4.

Diesel

Default Re: word on Hakim Warrick

Warrick is a tweener. Tremendous athlete and if he's playing on the right team like Pheonix where the game is up and down he'll be a nice player to have on your bench. All those teams that he worked out for he wouldn't fit with and I hope the pacers stay away from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Warrick is a tweener. Tremendous athlete and if he's playing on the right team like Pheonix where the game is up and down he'll be a nice player to have on your bench. All those teams that he worked out for he wouldn't fit with and I hope the pacers stay away from him.
    Sounds a bit like what they said about Dwayne Wade. Great athlete. Too small to play the 2, not a point guard. A tweener.

We need to work him out too

Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by BigMac
    Sounds a bit like what they said about Dwayne Wade. Great athlete. Too small to play the 2, not a point guard. A tweener.
    Yep he was labeled as a tweener. Big difference is Wade was always able to create his own shot coming out of college. Warrick on the other hand can't create his own shot, can't score consistantly with his back to the basket and up until now he hasn't been able to knock down oben jumpers. Terrific athlete and Dunker and will be a great energy player player. He may however be able to contribue as a Jerome Williams type of player though.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would love to get Warrick.

He's a SF without an outside shot. That's not good. OTOH, not bad for 17.

I've been disappointed because he hasn't expanded his game since he came to college. Still pretty much a slasher/dunker/leaper. I thought once Carmelo left he'd turn into a monster. He's been pretty good but not as good as he could be.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    He's a SF without an outside shot. That's not good. OTOH, not bad for 17.

I've been disappointed because he hasn't expanded his game since he came to college. Still pretty much a slasher/dunker/leaper. I thought once Carmelo left he'd turn into a monster. He's been pretty good but not as good as he could be.
    I'd still be surprised if he slipped past the Nets at 15. He'd be perfect for that system, playing alongside Jason Kidd.

The Nets are probably going to snatch him, he is a local favorite. And I'd like to get him if we can, keep reminding me of Darius Miles with a better attitude, Miles last year torched the 3 at the last few dozen games, I think atheletic abilities can't be taught, so if we can snatch this athelet, we do it, and see if we can't pick up Fransico Garcia in the second round, he could be a solid backup SG for us.