Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vescey slams Star Reporter on Tinsley????

PacerNthaDesert

Default Re: Vescey slams Star Reporter on Tinsley????

He was also in his 2nd year then but most people wanted to cut his throat and send him out of town then too. If I were him, I'd want out of Indy. Seems like everytime he struggles people just turn the knife at him his whole career here.

Perhaps he just wants to play Jamaal up to the NY fans and make him sound like the best thing ever so that when the Pacers trade him to the Knicks for Stephon Marbury that the fans don't go crazy over it...Helping sway the fans' opinions before his buddy Isaiah makes a deal...Just an idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After the 2003 season I am sure everyone wanted Tins gone. He was horrible then.

You can do a search on my posts, not that you care, but I never ever wanted Tins gone. He is very tough mentally and is in control. He veers of at times and just needs to mature a little, which he will do with age (in the next couple of years) and we will be real good.

However, he needs to work out real hard to stay fit. Conditioning is definitely a problem with him.

Tinsley was the one guy who played well against Boston in '03. After everything he'd just been through, I knew then he was who I wanted at point. So, of course we ran out and got Kenny.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    Tinsley was the one guy who played well against Boston in '03. After everything he'd just been through, I knew then he was who I wanted at point. So, of course we ran out and got Kenny.

Wow I completely disagree.

If my memory serves me well, Tinsley had one good shooting game, game #1 and after that he was horrible. In fact Hardaway played a lot in game #5 and I remember suggesting that was the best point guard play the pacers got in that series.

Artest and J.O played well, and that was it.

That series convinced me Tinsley had to go.

Tinsley was getting eaten alive by Tony Delk. That was the year when Tinsley refused to get into a defensive stance, and his defense was beyond bad. I remember the next preseason I remarked, at least Tinsley is in a defensive stance for once.

Edit: I just checked the stats, and yes Tinsley shot well 57%, but only averaged 8.2 pts per game.

J.O averages over 17 rebs per game

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    Edit: I just checked the stats, and yes Tinsley shot well 57%, but only averaged 8.2 pts per game.

J.O averages over 17 rebs per game
    How many points do you want Tinsley to average? And 57% for Tinsley two years ago was like 93% for anybody else.

Yes, you're right, I forgot JO put up some monster numbers that series.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rant Ahead

While most are ripping on Vecsey, I will at least mention that the man does like to dig for a story. I just wish a beat reporter or columnist for that matter, for the star; had the nut sack to attempt to scoop a story.

I remember when Vescey slammed Montieth about his lack of knowledge on the Al Harrington (will he stay, or will he go) hype, and basically saying he scooped the team's beat writer. I recall Montieth getting so upset that he claimed he went to Al Harrington himself and was getting the word from the "horses mouth and not the horses ***" as Vescey sought his info through agents, friends and the like. Vescey pretty much reported that Harrington was wanting a trade, where Montieth reported that Harrington backed off his trade demands. As we all know, Vecsey got the scoop!

I know Vecsey is hit and miss, but I really really feel that players are more willing to be a little more open with media types that are not local and guys they don't have to look at everyday. Look at Mike Vanderjagt, he went on Canadian TV to give his feelings on Peyton and the Colts a couple years ago...eventhough it still blew up in his face, notice, he didn't talk to a local guy. Anyway, what benefit is it to a player to speculate to a local beat guy, or columnist on anything contriversial or against the team...especially in this market where no one goes against the team!!!

Vecsey does his fair share of f*&king up, but I give him a ton of credit for having the sack to do the work and not wait for an orginization to drop a story in his lap! Too bad the Star is still so worried about pissing someone off at Pacers Sports and Entertainment to try to get a scoop.

Do you remember the wire report around the trade deadline that appeared in the Star?

Remember how it listed players that were speculated to be traded?

Remember how the "actual" wire report had Pacer players listed, but the Star edited their papers and removed any mention of the Pacers from the report???

That more then proves my point about the Star not trying to **** off someone at PS&E

If that is not Yellow Journalism....I Dont know what is!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    How many points do you want Tinsley to average? And 57% for Tinsley two years ago was like 93% for anybody else.

Yes, you're right, I forgot JO put up some monster numbers that series.

My only point about the scoring average was to suggest that he did not take many shots. I have no problem if he scores 5 points per game.

But I know he played very poorly in that series.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    No one has posted anything about what I found most interesting in Vescey's column. The part where Isiah wanted Tinsley traded. I always thought Isiah really liked Tinsley

Isiah never wanted Jamaal traded, I think he was talking about Larry.

Larry cares about how people keep themselves in condition in the off season and Jamaal does not have a stellar rep, although he has improved.