Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chuck Person hired as new assistant coach

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Chuck Person hired as new assistant coach

Absolutely, but it isn't the #1 reason.

Chuck, as a player, had a large format satellite dish so he could watch and scout the rest of the league years before anyone had thought of selling the League Pass.

Chuck is one of the most cerebral and coachable players I've ever seen. He understands game plan and strategy, his offensive game was more versatile than George Irvine and Dick Versace allowed him to demonstrate, and in his case he was too willing to defer his game to the coach's bad gameplans and he got crucified by fans and the Benner brothers because he couldn't rebound very well from the three-point line (even though Versace didn't allow him any closer to the basket). Of course, he wasn't a good one-on-one defender but he was an okay team defender.

Although Chuck was a legendary trash-talker, he's always had great relationships with the stars of the league (Barkley, Reggie, David Robinson, Gary Payton, even Larry Bird and Dominique in spite of thier intense on-court rivalries) and the role players (Tank, DD, Sean Elliott, etc.)

One of my favorite stories about Chuck was shortly after he returned from the back injury/ airplane accident. The season he missed, he was still the runner-up in a vote among players for "best trash talker". As I recall, Payton finished third and Reggie was fourth.

Anyway, a couple of seasons later Chuck finished his career with the Sonics, and took the thier last shot of Game #5 of thier playoff series. Down three points in the last ten seconds, Chuck took a three pointer from the wing that was eerily similar to the last shot of Game #5 in 1991. The Seattle media was asking GP about the last shot ("Why didn't you take it?") and GP's response was, "This is Chuck Person, he's hit hundreds of clutch shots in this league, too. I had no problem with him taking the shot and I would pass to him again."

I don't know whether Chuck has "head coach" in his future, I think he's probably going to be a front office -type. IIRC, he already owns/ runs a few successful businesses back in Brantley.

Regardless, his great relationships with the players is certainly a factor. If Ron has to be here, having Chuck on the bench should help keep the damage from Ron's inevitable blowups to a minimum.

I think he might be the only guy in the organization that Ron will listen to. And I'll give credit to Chuck for reaching out to Ron, spending the summer of 2003 with him to forge a good working relationship when it seemed impossible for Ron to get along with anybody.

Of course, that may all end with Chuck heading to the bench, too.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Just a quick note: didn't Donnie Walsh come out maybe two years ago and say that the one trade he regretted in his time with the Pacers was the Person trade. I know Bob Hill was pissed, and I know Walsh did have a very close relationship withg Chuck at the time of the trade.

Yes, that's true.

And Bo and Chuck had far more success together in San Antonio. Bo even used Chuck at PF for a while, and Chuck's rebounding - not surprisingly - returned to a respectable level.

Of course, I never thought that team's problem was coaching, either. Although Larry Brown was clearly an upgrade.

And even Larry Brown commented (although he also hated Pooh so it might've been for that reason) that if that trade were reversed, the mid-1990s Pacers might've had enough firepower to beat NY/ Orlando and Houston.

The biggest reason I like this is because he is close with Ron. When the brawl was happening, and Ron got on the court Chuck said to Ron lets go and he grabbed him and took him to the locker room. If that was someone eles Ron would have probably pushed them off to the side. I really hope Chuck can some how be the guy that Ron finally listens too.

Jesus Shuttlesworth

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The biggest reason I like this is because he is close with Ron. When the brawl was happening, and Ron got on the court Chuck said to Ron lets go and he grabbed him and took him to the locker room. If that was someone eles Ron would have probably pushed them off to the side. I really hope Chuck can some how be the guy that Ron finally listens too.

When you watch the video Artest is trying to get Person off of him. I thought those two had a bad relationship.

This is awesome. Chuck to me signifies to me the emergence of the Pacers as a NBA franchise. They did not find their sea legs after the collapse of the ABA until Donnie Walsh selected Chuck Person in the draft. Chuck never had any doubts about himself on the court..... Reggie's on-the-road front arrogance derived entirely from his tutelage under Chuck. The Legacy of Chuck carriies on!!

Here's a decent article on Chuck

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamn...l=2&thispage=2

Sports columnist Kevin Scarbinsky

Person in Italy, won't make induction
    Wednesday, June 08, 2005
    Chuck Person has a problem. A good one. His latest honor and his new position are in conflict.

He won't be able to attend his Sunday night induction into the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame.

He'll be in Italy, but not vacationing. He'll be scouting players for the upcoming NBA draft for the Indiana Pacers.

That's what assistant coaches do.

"I hate not being there," Person said from Indianapolis, "but I have responsibilities."

The news came Tuesday that the best college basketball player in state history is taking the next step toward fulfilling his professional goal of becoming an NBA head coach.

Person, who's been a special assistant with the Pacers for three years, is moving to the bench for the first time as an assistant coach under Rick Carlisle. The position opened when Mike Brown left to become head coach of the Cleveland Cavaliers.

"My heart lies in coaching," Person said. "Rick and I decided it was time to live out my dreams. One day, I want to be a head coach in the NBA."

Even in his front-office job with the Pacers, Person at times did individual workouts with the players before practice. Now, he said, "I'll help formulate game plans and be with the players every day."

One man who knows him has no doubt that Person, who turns 41 June 27, will succeed as a coach the way he did as a player.

It's his old Auburn coach, Sonny Smith, who will stand in for Person at the ASHOF banquet. Smith isn't surprised that Person is going into coaching.

He's surprised it took so long.

"I'm so happy for him," Smith said. ``He was born to be a coach. He was a student of the game forever."

Advertisement

Even at Auburn, Smith said, Person wanted to sit in on scouting reports with the coaches, and he offered suggestions in the huddle.

"If he had been interested," Smith said, "I would've hired him as an assistant in a minute. Without a doubt."

Instead Person played 13 seasons in the NBA - winning 1987 rookie of the year with the Pacers - after an unsurpassed college career at Auburn.

No Auburn, Alabama or UAB player scored more points. Only three players in SEC history did. And Person, whose range on his jumper extended from Beard-Eaves to Jordan-Hare, played college ball before the 3-point shot.

But he wasn't just a great player. He was a winner, leading Auburn to the 1985 Sweet 16 as a junior and the 1986 Elite Eight as a senior.

Person said he's "really grateful" to be joining "such a select group of people" like Charles Barkley, Bo Jackson and John Mengelt in the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame.

The Brantley native said it wouldn't be possible if he hadn't had Smith as "a coach, a mentor and a father figure."

Person may miss his big moment Sunday, but don't feel bad for him. With his work ethic, competitive drive and knowledge of the game, this Hall of Fame college player has a chance to earn more honors.

As a special pro coach. Kevin Scarbinsky's column appears Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Write him at kscarbinsky@bhamnews.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Shuttlesworth
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When you watch the video Artest is trying to get Person off of him. I thought those two had a bad relationship.
    Are you kidding?

We spent a lot of time during the 2003-04 season talking about how much Chuck's off-season/ 1-on-1 work really showed up in Ron's game that season.

And, re-read Chuck's deposition. Able, what's the link to that? I know its on PD but I don't remember where.

Ron had just slugged the guy on the court, which is something I've never had any problem with, BTW. Chuck flashed his credentials and told the security guard, "I'm going to get my player." He walked on the court and said, "Ron, let's go" and Ron said "Okay." Ron respects/ listens to Chuck.