View Poll Results: Which one would you pick?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jay Williams

11 39.29%
  • Sarunas Jasikevicius

7 25.00%
  • Stay with Tinsley and AJ

9 32.14%
  • Other (please explain)

1 3.57%

Thread: Pick a point guard, any point guard...

Default Pick a point guard, any point guard...

Well?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Default Re: Pick a point guard, any point guard...

I'd go with the Euro, myself. He's a leader and he's in his prime. He's looking for 10mil over 3 years... we could do close to that if Dale took the veteran's minimum. That would leave 2mil for JJ and about 3 for Sarunas Jasikevicius. Over 3 years that comes to about 10mil.

I'm totally comfortable with keeping AJ as the third string or second string if Jamaal goes down. It would be nice to limit Jamaal's minutes this year.

He's not a terribly big guard, although he's bigger than Freddy. Who's seen him? Could we ever play a 2-PG lineup to get both he and Tins on the floor?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd go with the Euro, myself. He's a leader and he's in his prime. He's looking for 10mil over 3 years... we could do close to that if Dale took the veteran's minimum. That would leave 2mil for JJ and about 3 for SJ. Over 3 years that comes to about 10mil.

I'm totally comfortable with keeping AJ as the third string or second string if Jamaal goes down. It would be nice to limit Jamaal's minutes this year.

He's not a terribly big guard, although he's bigger than Freddy. Who's seen him? Could we ever play a 2-PG lineup to get both he and Tins on the floor?
    My thoughts exactly. Get Sarunas and fit DD in with whats left of the MLE.
    If you can get JJ to sign a 1 year contract with the intent to locking him up at the end of next season it would be perfect.

Do you mean Jax by SJ, whats he got to do with contract negotitations?

His ability to play NBA defense is the only thing that has kept Sarunas out of the NBA to date. If we had him and AJ as our 2nd/3rd PGs then their skill sets are almost exactly opposite. He's a fluid ball handler, can create offense and pull up for the 3pter. AJ would be the defender, able to take it into the post and hit the spot up 3.

Quote Originally Posted by skyfire
    Do you mean Jax by SJ,
    Forgot those were Jax's initials as well. I meant Sarunas Jasikevicius. I fixed it in my post.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I gotta go with Jay Williams. If he's as healthy as they are saying he is, then you'd be getting a guy with alot of years left in him, along with a small affordable contract. J-Will would make our bench the envy of the NBA, and while SJ's agent is really high on him being in the NBA, I've heard that SJ is to slow for the NBA game, and while Carlisle likes a slow pace, I'd prefer to bring in Williams, just because a healthy Williams, is better than Sarunas, I'm pretty sure.

I voted other.

Why? Because I've been thinking Sarunas Jasikevicius for weeks now and suddenly Jay Williams is in the mix. If Jay's healthy then I flat out don't know who I would pick. Jay's speed would sure help against Wade!

I would say it would come down to who we could get cheapest.

We can sign JJ with the early Bird exception. That leaves Dale and one of the above point guards to either share the mid level exception, or one to take the veteran's minimum and the other to take the mid level.

Okay, I'm going to go dream mode here and say why not sign all four? JJ with the early bird. Jay to the veteran's minimum, and then Dale and Jake could share the mid level. That way we could add either Tins or AJ in a trade for a big time shooting guard.

Dream mode off!

Sports Logo

How about Jamaal and Sarunas? Thats the option I would pick.

foretaz

ok...call me greedy...but i dont think im too far out of line..well maybe...im on record as saying we need to trade aj-his stock will never be higher and we need an upgrade-sorry aj the heart u showed this year will always be greatly appreciated....

but this is biz...so...ive also said a number of times that i think larry would have a strong interest in sarunas....hes 30 years old and appears to be the type of player that bird would be attracted to-and u cant help but think he might be a great addition....he doesnt expect to start just play significant minutes on a good team...he has a very good outside shot- which is sorely needed on this team-and hes a freethrow shooter of reggies caliber....hes definitely a fiery competitor and i think he would be a fan favorite here....

jwill....well u cant help but get excited when u first hear about him...everyone remembers the player he was before that injury....but man...those pictures i still see in my head.....and its just pretty hard to imagine he could come back and be that same player...so the question really is-how closely will he resemble his former self??? and hes been away from the game a long time....hes gonna be rusty....no way around that....i just dont think u can have him as anything but a third point guard on a team....especially his first year back....see how he develops again....see how he practices against the guys and use the first year back to evaluate....if he excels and its obvious by the trade deadline that hes far more valuable than first thought, then u can reevaluate ur situation at that time....but u gotta be cautious...but he seems to be the perfect candidate for a 3rd pg-just not sure if hes comfortable with that-especially if we bring in sarunas as his opportunity might be perceived to have diminished...if we dont upgrade the backup pg slot however-then i think it would be the ultimate for both the pacers and jwill...should be interesting....

as far as money goes, as ive mentioned before the most intriquing part about money is dale...i gotta believe something was somewhat agreed to back when he came here....i would selfishly love to believe dd would play for vets min-but realistically i dont see that happening....so what he makes greatly affects anything we do as far as MLE goes....

i will repeat this....jj's situation is not related to the MLE....the pacers have early bird rights on him and can sign him for up to 5 million(the league average) ....and i cant believe jj will command anything more than 3 mill on the very high end and probably somewhere just over 2 is probably most accurate...the real issue is the added payroll....if we use the MLE and resign JJ then we are talking about adding close to 8-10 million in payroll...and i dont think that will fly....we would then probably have luxury cap issues...

can u get sarunas and dd for the MLE with a little left over for jwill(he really shouldnt require much)??....i dunno...me thinks probably not....will dd play for the vet min and allow us to use the MLE to acquire sarunas and jwill????me thinks prbably not....do we trade aj to sac in some sort of deal for bobby jack(who i would also like to see as an upgrade to the backup pg) then use the MLE to resign dale and jwill???? maybe, but who knows.....thats why this should be fun....

now the thing that concerns me....when papers start mentioning the pacers are a major player for sarunas
    http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/585124.html
    i suddenly lose hope....birds trips are well known...him scouting sarunas is well known...doesnt seem to be birds style....is there a secret player we dont know about over there? quite possibly knowing bird....seems indiana is being thrown out there to add validity to sarunas quest to come to the nba and intrique other teams to take a closer look and get him a bit more cash-in other words start a bit of a bidding war....

so who friggen knows....i know one thing...i cant wait to see how it pans out..

woman without a team

I'll pick one when you tell me what I'm supposed to do with him.

The Javiscuisaksadsjkdsa guy wants 3 years and 10 million, I dont think we have that money to give to him. So I would say Jay Williams.

Damn it I didnt see Tinsley and AJ, you are damn right I would rather stay with that. Stupid me. Stay with Tinsley and AJ is the best option up there. If you put that then why didnt you put Tinsley and Jay Williams?

I would like to see Tinsley, AJ and J Wil on the roster...having J Wil to play backup point would let Johnson focus more on what he used to do best: shoot and play lockdown on the ball D, rather than having to worry about running the offense

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    Damn it I didnt see Tinsley and AJ, you are damn right I would rather stay with that. Stupid me. Stay with Tinsley and AJ is the best option up there. If you put that then why didnt you put Tinsley and Jay Williams?
    It's assumed that either one of those guys is going to play behind Tinsley, moving AJ to the third string.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    The Javiscuisaksadsjkdsa guy wants 3 years and 10 million, I dont think we have that money to give to him. So I would say Jay Williams.
    We can if we want... it's layed out in the other thread.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar
    How about Jamaal and Sarunas? Thats the option I would pick.
    Me too... if we can afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacers67
    Me too... if we can afford it.
    Even if we have to use some of the MLE to sign JJ (up for debate), we can still sign SarJAs with the rest if Dale takes the veteran's minimum.

That's a lot of new salary, though, with none coming off the books. So it would be essential that we move Austin and Bender for ending contracts.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would have to go with Williams with the Euro being a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    I'd go with the Euro, myself. He's a leader and he's in his prime. He's looking for 10mil over 3 years... we could do close to that if Dale took the veteran's minimum. That would leave 2mil for JJ and about 3 for Sarunas Jasikevicius. Over 3 years that comes to about 10mil.

AJ just proved he's starter material (in his mind anyway, he said it). He's NOT going to stay here if we sign somebody ahead of him. He'd demand a trade or release.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan
    AJ just proved he's starter material (in his mind anyway, he said it). He's NOT going to stay here if we sign somebody ahead of him. He'd demand a trade or release.
    I guess I need a link for this. I thought AJ came out and said "I know what I am... a backup point guard."

Enjoy your time at PD!