Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: The NBA is broken. How do we put it back together again?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The NBA is broken. How do we put it back together again?

Worst season ever? Definitely the worst since the nasty 06-07 season. All year it was "well just wait till the Finals".....then those turned out to be a dud.

Good news is that this season is over. Bad news is that next year will be virtually identical.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've always wondered why Allen Iverson didn't leave Philly earlier in his career and team up with someone else. Did he just have too much of the alpha mentality like Westbrook does know where he had to be the guy regardless? Was it just a money thing? Or better yet, why wasn't Philly able to sign someone in free agency around 2000-2001ish when the East was pretty wide open and it would have instantly made Philly the team to beat.
    Because as great as iverson was, no one great wanted to play with him. You're seeing that with Westbrook now. He was never interested in sharing no the ball and the top free agents were not interested in standing in a corner and watching him dribble.

Iverson on the 2009 Pistons was a perfect example. They had an effecient, unselfish ball movement offense and iverson wasn't going to change his game to fit in. Yeah he was in decline physically but he wasn't interested in fitting in with other all stars like Rasheed and rip Hamilton that understood how to win.
    Last edited by Kstat; 06-13-2017 at 07:26 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

I'm watching Mike and Mike on ESPN seriously talk about how the Cavs should trade Kevin Love to the Pacers for Paul George because that would even be a ****ing option.

"I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Because as great as iverson was, no one great wanted to play with him. You're seeing that with Westbrook now. He was never interested in sharing no the ball and the top free agents were not interested in standing in a corner and watching him dribble.

Iverson on the 2009 Pistons was a perfect example. They had an effecient, unselfish ball movement offense and iverson wasn't going to change his game to fit in. Yeah he was in decline physically but he wasn't interested in fitting in with other all stars like Rasheed and rip Hamilton that understood how to win.
    To be fair, OKC's been capped out for the past few years, so they haven't had much of an opportunity to court big-name free agents. That Kanter trade/signing is really hurting their ability to go after top guys.
    Last edited by spreedom; 06-13-2017 at 04:07 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

How about a hard cap and a ruling that, unless obtained through the draft, teams can only have two All-NBA players under contract at a time? This would have allowed GSW to keep their Curry-Green-Thompson core together but not add Durant.

May be a bit harsh but it's a base idea to work from...
    Pacers fan since April 9th 2004 - New Jersey 80 Indiana 90.
    Visited Indianapolis from November 11-28th 2016, seeing eight Pacers games.
    Saw the Pacers in London, January 2017.

If either side would have had an ounce of foresight, the fluke that allowed KD to go to GS would have never happened.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 06-13-2017 at 08:22 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    If either side would have had an ounce of foresight, the fluke that allowed KD to go to GS would have never happened.
    The situation with Cleveland and LeBron is worse. He came back to a team gutted by his absence, but they got tons of high draft picks to put in the oven. LeBron only had the talent around him because he came at no cost when he returned to Cleveland. He manipulated the league. He created a pattern for star players to create super teams, particularly the best player in the league who is the most likely to win the title. The fact Durant went to GS overcame LeBron's manipulation. So, it boils down to cheating. The best cheater just won.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

#DBAP

13. The Following User Says Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post

Lowest in 5 years?

Quote Originally Posted by DGPR View Post
    I'm watching Mike and Mike on ESPN seriously talk about how the Cavs should trade Kevin Love to the Pacers for Paul George because that would even be a ****ing option.
    Love has some heath issues, doesn't defend well, doesn't really fit next to Myles, probably would not re-sign....need I go on? I would rather lose PG to LA for free than take on Love.

Lowest in 5 years?
    That's how I'm reading it. Local ratings were down too.

Obviously, a lot of that decline is due to streaming. However, if ESPN execs were given truth serum, I bet they'd get out of that NBA TV deal if they could.
    #DBAP

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I want them to talk about it, and continue talking about it. Put the frights up those that think they can just wait 12 months. This is exactly what we needed.
    "He's a strong physical presence out there on both ends of the court. He's a man. There's a reason he was an All-Star." -- Vogel on David West

Moronic. Which is also what we'd be if we even entertained it.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Obviously, a lot of that decline is due to streaming. However, if ESPN execs were given truth serum, I bet they'd get out of that NBA TV deal if they could.
    The most-watched NBA Finals since 1998 wrapped on a high note.

Updated numbers have Monday night's Game 5 conclusion of another Warriors-Cavaliers series rose to an average 16.0 rating among metered market households for ABC, a 13 percent lift from the comparable Game 5 overnight score in 2016. That leaves the game well on its way to to climb from the current four-game average of 19.4 million viewers.

The 2017 Game 5, which averaged a 14.0 rating, ultimately fetched 20.5 million viewers and a 7.6 rating among adults 18-49.

Finals and ABC are all NBA cares about. Major success
    Last edited by Ryan; 06-13-2017 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    The most-watched NBA Finals since 1998 wrapped on a high note.

Updated numbers have Monday night's Game 5 conclusion of another Warriors-Cavaliers series rose to an average 16.0 rating among metered market households for ABC, a 13 percent lift from the comparable Game 5 overnight score in 2016. That leaves the game well on its way to to climb from the current four-game average of 19.4 million viewers.

The 2017 Game 5, which averaged a 14.0 rating, ultimately fetched 20.5 million viewers and a 7.6 rating among adults 18-49.
    I'm just presenting both sides, that's all. Ratings were down in the regular season and playoffs until the Finals, where the ratings were incredible, as you've stated.

One thing I think you and I can agree on (I think): The NBA is certainly not broken.
    #DBAP

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

All time high for the NBA imo. I think they're very happy with the product (and so am i minus those cheating refs)

Or at least renegotiate the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Or at least renegotiate the deal.
    For full disclosure, I don't think they'd get out of it because they think the NBA is struggling. They'd get out of it because ESPN is struggling and the TV deal isn't worth it for them.
    #DBAP

That NBA TV deal single handedly forced ESPN from basic tier to premium. ESPN overshot their load thinking the consumer would pay for the NBA instead of them.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:

I'm just presenting both sides, that's all. Ratings were down in the regular season and playoffs until the Finals, where the ratings were incredible, as you've stated.

One thing I think you and I can agree on (I think): The NBA is certainly not broken.

People know the product is either rigged or fixed on some level. Er go it's become like other forms of entertainment these days. People will watch but not many who aren't celebs, high level corporate people, or silicon valley will actually attend many games. MSG and Staples still sell out regularly. Other places don't, even with cheap tickets. Those who go to NBA games mostly these days fall into one of the 3 tiers I mentioned. Or they have children that want to go.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    "players forming" is really at the root of the issue. Players should be playing. GMs should be forming teams. I have no problem if a GM competes in the free market for talent via trades and the draft...and builds a totally dominant team. The issue is when players decide to centralize talent.

It would be just as bad if 3 GMs got together and decided to make trades such that 1 of the 3 teams got all the talent. Kind of like a partnership where they share rings. For example, say Cavs, Spurs and the Pacers GMs agreed to share players. You'd have a team with LeBron, Kawhi, Paul George, Kyrie Irving and a bench full of near all-stars. That team wins the title and all 82 of their games. The other two teams lose all their games and have the #1 and #2 picks in the draft. They shift each year and completely dominate the league forever because they are getting all of the #1 and #2 picks and those players never want to leave the trinity of SUPAH TEAM.

So, what is good for the goose is good for the gander. Let the GMs collude, manipulate the league, cheat other teams and their fans. Anything wrong with that?
    Your weird example is nothing like what happened in reality. Kevin Durant was a free agent. The GSW GM and Owner were heavily involved in the recruiting process. No other teams were involved or benefitted from it so your comparison is waaaaaay off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Finals and ABC are all NBA cares about. Major success
    Ummmm...I am pretty sure that is not true. The NBA makes more money from the 1000+ regular season games than they make from the finals.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Ummmm...I am pretty sure that is not true. The NBA makes more money from the 1000+ regular season games than they make from the finals.
    The NBA set the all-time regular-season attendance record for a third consecutive season with 21,997,412 fans attending games during the 2016-17 regular season. The new record eclipses last year’s total of 21,972,129.

Additionally, the NBA established a new regular-season attendance record for average attendance (17,884), eclipsing the previous high set last year. This year also marked the 13th straight season that league attendance has been at least 90 percent or more of arena capacity (94 percent).

The 2016-17 regular season tied last year’s sellout record (723), marking the third consecutive year the league had 700 or more games sold out.
    NBA is doing perfectly fine. All TV viewership is down so only using regular season TV games doesn't help the narrative (though certain games DID extremely well). The money they get from ESPN/TNT is all in the bank. It's up to the networks to sell the advertising. They are very pleased with the Finals ratings in prime time this year.
    Last edited by Ryan; 06-14-2017 at 12:07 PM.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:

I kept watching the Finals because I hoped against hope that the Cavs could make it interesting. Never happened. I doubt I'm alone on that.

National and local TV ratings were down throughout the regular season. The league is in fine shape because they have the money in hand. Quality doesn't even really matter to them at this point. It's the TV partners who have to eat that. I think more and more people are realizing that the league just isn't as good as it used to be.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 06-14-2017 at 12:28 PM.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I kept watching the Finals because I hoped against hope that the Cavs could make it interesting. Never happened. I doubt I'm alone on that.

National and local TV ratings were down throughout the regular season. The league is in fine shape because they have the money in hand. Quality doesn't even really matter to them at this point. It's the TV partners who have to eat that. I think more and more people are realizing that the league just isn't as good as it used to be.
    If that were true people wouldn't be spending money on attending the actual games. Like i said you'll be hard pressed to find ANY TV programming that has seen a ratings increase in 2016/17.