Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The NBA is broken. How do we put it back together again?

Default Re: The NBA is broken. How do we put it back together again?

@WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why are people so dramatic about this?

Fun season, playoffs kinda sucked. Things change fast in the NBA, things could be different next season.

People need to chill out.
    I can't believe this got a lot of thanks. You didn't really say anything and then told people to chill out.

How exactly are things going to change? Warriors are gonna be together for another year or two before they likely have to make some changes.

Change fast? How? Like Boston getting Hayward and Butler? So we possibly get one more super team? Cavs retooling a little by trading Love for multiple nice pieces? The rich get richer? There's the Warriors, Cavs, Spurs and everyone else.

There's another, what, 6 years until the next CBA?

What makes the NFL great is a team can go 7-9 one season to a 10 win and playoff team the next season. You don't get that in the NBA. Something has to be done about the competitive imbalance. I certainly don't have the answers, but I'm also not going to tell people to chill out or freak out.
    First time in a long time, I've been happy with the team that was constructed, and now they struggle. I blame the coach.

Also crazy that what Golden State is doing is what OKC should have been with Harden/Westbrook, Durant, Green, Ibaka, what could have been ....
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Curry is not elite quick. He gets by people because he has to be picked up 40 feet from the hoop. His elite dribbling skills are also generally limited to step-back moves.

And to imply that it took coaches over 35 years to "see the value " in a 3 point shot is just absurd. That's beyond ridiculous.
    It didn't take 35 years to see the value, it took 0 years, it just takes a while for it to catch on. The first players aren't going to use it to its full potential because they didn't grow up practicing that kind of shot, most players would not be very good at it. Adoption of it at that point is a slow burn until someone such as Reggie Miller comes along and popularizes the strategy with young kids, then a few years later you suddenly see an explosion in its use as those kids who idolized Reggie start entering the league. That explosion continues until it is saturated throughout the league. In a game like basketball that requires both high level of skill and athleticism, it can take decades for the full effect of a rule change to be realized.

Many here see the current trend of the league being weighted towards outside shots to the detriment of post and mid games. Post and mid games are almost non-existent anymore. All we want is to see tweaks to the rules to bring the post game, mid game, drive game, and 3-point game more into balance with each other allowing for more variety and interesting strategies.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Also crazy that what Golden State is doing is what OKC should have been with Harden/Westbrook, Durant, Green, Ibaka, what could have been ....
    If talent was the only factor that team should have won multiple championships. Curry, Klay, Draymond, Iggy already developed a culture of teamwork and unselfish play that Durant came right into it. They all are much smarter players than that OKC team. Its says the same about Kawhi. He came into a culture of that level and developed. I think it is the reason why Anthony Davis is struggling to take it to the next level.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    If talent was the only factor that team should have won multiple championships. Curry, Klay, Draymond, Iggy already developed a culture of teamwork and unselfish play that Durant came right into it. They all are much smarter players than that OKC team. Its says the same about Kawhi. He came into a culture of that level and developed. I think it is the reason why Anthony Davis is struggling to take it to the next level.
    Well they got to the finals once, OKC makes better decisions and gets a real coach and they could have been what Golden State is now instead.

Mood

Well they got to the finals once, OKC makes better decisions and gets a real coach and they could have been what Golden State is now instead.
    I don't think Harden, RW, and Durant would have worked if Red Auerbach was coach.

Sports Logo

Having conversations like old men in a barber shop....do you think Tyson can beat Ali?

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    Having conversations like old men in a barber shop....do you think Tyson can beat Ali?
    In their prime.....I would put my money on Ali. Ali beat Superman for heaven's sake in a boxing match.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    I don't think Harden, RW, and Durant would have worked if Red Auerbach was coach.
    That's the thing, it worked, they got to the finals but their coach didn't know what to do.

Mood

That's the thing, it worked, they got to the finals but their coach didn't know what to do.
    I don't think Red would have won that series with those players is my point. We are talking about the OKC being what the GSWs are today. My point is that the cultures were not the same. Sure the coach has something to do with it. But I think the superstars of OKC were not as smart as the GSW's superstars.

It worked when they were all really young. No way it would have worked forever. Harden would have eventually wanted 58 shots a game.

Durant-Westbrook duo with a good supporting cast would have worked fine for a long time. They had GS dead to rights last year. Just crapped their pants mentally with Durant being just as at fault as Westbrook.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post

What makes the NFL great is a team can go 7-9 one season to a 10 win and playoff team the next season. You don't get that in the NBA. Something has to be done about the competitive imbalance. I certainly don't have the answers, but I'm also not going to tell people to chill out or freak out.
    Not a fair comparison. And nothing you can do to change it in the NBA, unless you force the top ten players to change teams every year. One great player can change an NBA team and the league. That doesn't happen in the NFL.

Curry is not elite quick. He gets by people because he has to be picked up 40 feet from the hoop. His elite dribbling skills are also generally limited to step-back moves. He's elite in small spaces but Jason Kidd he is not.

And to imply that it took coaches over 35 years to "see the value " in a 3 point shot is just absurd. That's beyond ridiculous.

Who was that guy that broke Lebrons ankles the other night? Curry. Your response is absurd and insults suggest a weak position.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

The super teams are killing the NBA. The have to move to a hard cap. It would level the playing field but the players union will not accept it. Probably another stike
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Elite players have been forcing their way to the destinations of their choice for 50 years, which is roughly twice as long as unrestricted free agency has been around.
    You have made a lot of great points in this thread, but this kind of thinking is just off base.

Just because 1 guy did it a long time ago doesn't mean it's the same as what is going on right now. This has become the model now, it was a rarity back then. Not the equivalent.

Yes, the league has always had dominate champions. And yes, it is actually very important to the popularity of the league.

But there has never been a team THIS dominant. They have blown their way thru the playoffs and regardless if they give Cleveland a mercy game, this is going no more than 5. A team that features LeBron James along with a pretty damn good supporting cast, can't take more than 1 game from this team. Think about that for a minute. The Bulls and Lakers and Celtics weren't dominating teams as talented as this Cleveland team in this fashion. ****, this Cleveland team is far more talented than just about every team the Bulls beat in the finals thru their run.

The league might as well just go with a fantasy model and just draft new teams every single year, play in exotic locations, and sell ppv basketball. THAT would be far more interesting than this junk.

When you take a cities tax revenue and promise their fans you are gonna go out there and try to win for them. You better make damn sure you aren't using them as a jobber,
    because I dont support the Indiana Pacers so they can be like the teams that play the Harlem Globetrotters. That is ********.
    Last edited by Taterhead; 06-09-2017 at 04:35 PM.
    "Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Taterhead For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    Who was that guy that broke Lebrons ankles the other night? Curry. Your response is absurd and insults suggest a weak position.
    Broke his ankles? Lebron did a pretty damn good job hanging in there lol

Stephs ball handling is pretty nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    It didn't take 35 years to see the value, it took 0 years, it just takes a while for it to catch on. The first players aren't going to use it to its full potential because they didn't grow up practicing that kind of shot, most players would not be very good at it. Adoption of it at that point is a slow burn until someone such as Reggie Miller comes along and popularizes the strategy with young kids, then a few years later you suddenly see an explosion in its use as those kids who idolized Reggie start entering the league. That explosion continues until it is saturated throughout the league. In a game like basketball that requires both high level of skill and athleticism, it can take decades for the full effect of a rule change to be realized.

Many here see the current trend of the league being weighted towards outside shots to the detriment of post and mid games. Post and mid games are almost non-existent anymore. All we want is to see tweaks to the rules to bring the post game, mid game, drive game, and 3-point game more into balance with each other allowing for more variety and interesting strategies.
    One of the better explanations of one aspect of this issue.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

Since 2001:

14 out of 16 division titles
    11 Conference Champion Games (7-4)
    7 Super Bowls (5-2)

Yeah so the Bengals win 10 games one year. BFD. There is zero true parity in the NFL. It's the Patriots and everyone else a very very distant second.

The Patriots certainly havent killed the NFL. Profits have probably tripled under their reign. They are 100% more of a super team than anything the Warriors have done
    Last edited by Ryan; 06-09-2017 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I've never been less entertained by the league. I feel like the drop in quality from five-six years ago has just been jaw dropping. That's just how I feel, to each their own and I understand plenty of people love the current incarnation of the league.
    I actually have no interest in watching, probably for multiple reasons. One is that if a team can shoot a lot better like GS, there is no point in watching the Pacers play them. Also, if we draft a great player we should expect he will leave for a super team. Why even watch the draft? It used to be one of my favorite times of the year. Every year I watch less NBA and I may for the first time in forever just skip the draft too. Next up is my PD account.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

Since 2001:

14 out of 16 division titles
    11 Conference Champion Games (7-4)
    7 Super Bowls (5-2)

Yeah so the Bengals win 10 games one year. BFD. There is zero true parity in the NFL. It's the Patriots and everyone else a very very distant second.

The Patriots certainly havent killed the NFL. Profits have probably tripled under their reign. They are 100% more of a super team than anything the Warriors have done
    There is no question the Patriots have been the best franchise for the past several years, however, every year there is always 2-3 other teams with a legitimate chance to beat them. That's the key , in my opinion, to having a successful major league sport. You need 1or 2 dominant teams, but you also need another 2 or more teams with a legitimate chance to beat them...and those other 2 teams can vary every couple of years. The NBA this season had 1 dominant team in each conference and Cleveland had only a slight chance to beat GS in the finals. If that continues I think the NBA will lose fans.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:

BTW, it isn't just one thing for me and I think many people. Lack of parity isn't what I consider to be the end of the world. It boils down to HOW it became imbalanced that matters. Let me explain briefly.

I consider it absolutely critical that franchises/GMs have an even playing field for acquiring and keeping talent. It is fundamental to keeping the game fair on the court. That means the players need to stop chasing rings, or at least until they are 32 years old or older. You simply cannot have the very best players right in their prime team up or it isn't even a league. It is entertainment along the lines of WWF or Globe Trotters. If we want to classify the NBA as a fake sport, I might actually accept it more, similar to the way I accept the Globe Trotters as fine entertainment. But please don't tell me the NBA is a sport if you allow all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Not a fair comparison. And nothing you can do to change it in the NBA, unless you force the top ten players to change teams every year. One great player can change an NBA team and the league. That doesn't happen in the NFL.
    Two words:

FRANCHISE TAG

Think of how different the LeBron and Kevin Durant situations would have been with a franchise TAG. You can have LeBron James, but for the health of the league, we need assets. You cant give players all the leverage.

Another point I want to address.....

The real problem with the league isn't Golden State, it's the fact that you are forced to beat them at their own game.

How the hell are you supposed to beat them when there is no airspace for big men to retaliate against what Golden State is doing? Not only that you can't be physical at all on the perimeter. I

There is no strategy anymore. It's a glorified pick and roll contest. That's about all you can do.

This Golden State team is accomplishing great things but I feel like it's hollow.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Taterhead For This Useful Post:

I wish the owner's and player's would have agreed to a stipulation in the CBA where the salary cap couldn't go up more than 10% or do down more than 10% in any one year. That would have stopped Durant to Golden State. It seems to me that this would have benefitted both sides, so I'm disappointed that's not in the agreement.

On the playing side, I wish that the court would be bigger. The players nowadays are so athletic, and widening the court would give them more room. Also, you could extend the 3 point line to the same distance all over the court. But that will never happen.

On to something else that will never happen, I would abolish the draft. Have a salary scale from the first pick to the 60th pick (with the first pick making the most money, and the 60th making the least money), and have each team have 2 slots per season (a first round and second round slot). The slots get decided by record like they do now. Then have the players decide which team they want to go to in a week long exclusive negotiating window before July 1st. I'd be fine with the franchise tag if the player can decide where they want to go out of college (or Europe).
    Last edited by shags; 06-09-2017 at 07:48 PM.
    #DBAP

35. The Following User Says Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

What makes the NFL (and college football) great is they play one game a week and their seasons are shorter than other professional sports leagues. Football games are events, and America is an event culture.

The AFC has no parity whatsoever. In the past 15 years, it's the Patriots, Steelers, Ravens, and whatever team Peyton Manning's on. Everyone else is irrelevant. The last 17 seasons, one of those 4 teams has represented the AFC in 16 of them.

In fact, this season I'll take the Patriots and Steelers to win the AFC, and give you the field. I feel real confident I'm going to win.
    #DBAP