Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

An answer for Fortaz......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: An answer for Fortaz......

I really have zero problems with the color or size of foretaz's fonts. In fact I like the size as old people need all the help we can get.

Besides, I read a post for content not appearance.

I would rather be the hammer than the nail

Comment

Originally posted by Alabama-Redneck
      I really have zero problems with the color or size of foretaz's fonts. In fact I like the size as old people need all the help we can get.

Besides, I read a post for content not appearance.

If you need a bigger size, go up to view and click on text size.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Galen
        If you need a bigger size, go up to view and click on text size.
        He means for web viewing...

Otherwise visit:
        http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8132227/

-
        Bball
        Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Comment

Dang!

I sure do learn a lot on this site that has nothing to do with the Pacers.

Comment

I'm scared...
            Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Comment

Originally posted by kingfrog
              man, i would almost like to see what foretaz has to say except that the font he uses is simply far too annoying to look at. it would be nice if that font were unavailable. nothing personal but, that font is awful and i won't read any post by people who feel they have to do something like that to stick out.
              I'm wondering exactly what problem you and others are having with this font and color? It comes through very clear at all settings on my computer. Are some people using a different background or something?

Where do I find the directions for changing font and color? I feel like being annoying!

Comment

Originally posted by Peck
                Again your into the let's make them a better person phase. I have no real problem with that but at some point in time the person has to be willing to be a better person.
                do u really believe that ron doesnt want to get these issues resolved? like ive said before....if he appeared to not be interested on that my personal feelings would be a bit different...but from what i can see...albeit from a distant....it would appear that he wants these things to get better....he doesnt seem to have that attitude that many true troublemakers do...that they revel in it...that they enjoy it...it appears ron is tormented by these things...not many people enjoy torment...doesnt seem to be such a stretch, from everything we see, to believe hes not content with how things are, and would like for them to get better...

Also I couldn't disagree with you more if I wanted to about one thing. While one person cannot totally be responsible for team chemistry, one person can certainly be responable for ruining team chemistry.

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.
                i dont agree with either of these...especially the cliche....accurate with a chain...not when it comes to the basketball....were we as good as eddie gill or john edwards this year? ummm.....as ive said before....those that manage maximize the things that players do well and minimize what they dont while trying to improve upon them....if ur a terrible shooter, u dont shoot 30 times a game...if ur a bad rebounder u work to get better....sorry...but that cliche has always bothered me and i found it somewhat weird that u mentioned it given my personal feelings on it....

GOD, I HATE THAT CLICHE

as far as chemistry goes...i dont believe a player like ron-who is not a cancer-can destroy team chemistry....it might take more of an effort on the other players part as well as the coaches....u see ron doesnt appear to have a bad attitude-which to me is what a cancer is-therefore i refuse to believe he can ruin the attitude of the others...however, if not handled correctly i totally agree that it could...and i put this responsibility on the coaching staff and management....anytime u have a situation like rons that needs special attention-the others must be on the same page and be informed of what is their responsibility with regard to the teams chemistry....its when people dont really understand the problem and dont understand the plan to fix it that problems often arise...

The fact that Ron Artest is such a damn good player is the problem. Do you think for one min. the Pacers would tolerat 1/8 of the stuff he does if it were Eddie Gill doing it instead? I think we can all agree they wouldn't.

problem? or opportunity?...i find the fact that hes a great basketball player hard to believe when looking for problems...great motivation to help him with his problems is what i would call it...call it a vested interest...call it a business/selfish reason to be involved...but dont call it a problem...if eddie gill played like ron artest i would hope they would take the same approach....if eddie gill played like eddie gill does? probably not...which is kinda sad...but another discussion...

i do think tolerate is a bit of a poor choice of words....i dont think they tolerate anything...and that mindset is the problem....that he seems to be getting away with something...and people dont like it....with bad behavior comes punishment and consequences....i would think the overall message is that it wont be tolerated....that it has to continue to get better....ron lost 5 million dollars and that was probably the easiest in the way of what his consequences were....to say his behavior has been tolerated is inaccurate...

So this brings us to your next theory that it is managements problem to get everybody to get along. Well, great. Now how do you do that? Do you force them to sit in the showers & sing sea chanties? Team dinners? Bowling?
                i never said it was managements problem....i said the role of responsibility falls to management....u see how this negative mindset just keeps appearing with u over and over and over....sigh...

i appreciate ur sarcasm...i really do...when doing these posts its a nice change of pace....

but what u do is first and foremost....u get ron help...and thats an ongoing situation....u work on resolving the issues....thats the only way this is ever gonna truly go away....realizing its an ongoing issue...u then have to involve the team....by making sure they have a proper understanding of whats goiing on...what the situation is-on a need to know basis....and most importantly identify what THEIR responsibilities are in the whole process....not unlike making allowances for poor individual defense with built in team defensive schemes you also have attack the issue of team chemistry as a group....get ron better-while hes getting better get the team better...you do that the same way u defend ur goal....u identify everyones responsibility and hold them accountable...the awareness and being made a part are the big things...and if done correctly can potentially bring the team together....

I know that you don't dig Croshere but I think it's safe to assume (ok maybe it's safe to assume if you don't like Artest) that he isn't the only person in the locker room who feels like he did in that interview with the N.Y.Times. He said some very nice things about Ron, but he also said he didn't trust him (In not so many words)

Now let's just play my game for a min. shall we? Let's assume that Austin is not the only person who feels this way. They all seem willing to try but at the end of the day they all feel the same way, if push comes to shove or in Ron's case he doesn't get the ball at the end of a game, that he will fold faster than a Japanese oragomi artist.

How does management correct that? A seminar? A motivational speaker? Tony Robbins?

Now let's take this one step further & say that Ron does do something to **** them off again. What should management do then?

I guess what I'm getting at is that from the best of what I can tell they have done to Ron everything they can do to Ron & about the only person who I think has ever had any impact on Ron is David Stern. Love him or hate him I think we all can agree that Ron will never go into the stands again thanks to Stern.

I said something to U.B. two seasons ago & he became all indignant about it but I think as time has gone on he now has to look back on that & think maybe I was right about it then. I said that the Pacers were afraid of Artest. I didn't mean physically, I meant in the sense that they did no know how he would react. I saw him do several things Carlisle's first year here that Rick said in the summer he would not tolerate, but Ron was given a very very long leash & it took all the way up to the N.J. game before we got a conduct detrimental to winning basketball suspension. Tough love was going to be the order of the day but with Ron I'm of the opinion that they didn't know how he would react (kick a gatorade cooler which I've seen him do more than once, throw a chair, wreck a locker room, etc.)

But then again, I'm predisposed to think these things.
                people are fearful of what they dont understand...they didnt understand the problems so they didnt really understand the solution...so yes...it becomes a bit of a time bomb waiting to go off....rons situation is pretty unique and definitely requires things that have nothing to do with coaching and typical team management tasks....trained professionals to deal with rons problems are the only ones that are going to be able to help ron, which, in turn, will allow him to be a better basketball player and teammate....with the egos that exist in the nba, people often think something along the lines that 'oh i can handle him, or my style willhelp him'...in many cases yes...rons case-no...his problems have nothing to do with basketball...as should be purely evidenced by the the actual behavior problems that he has had....

bottom line....nba people are in no way remotely qualified to help ron with his problems....only when they realized that did they start on the path to real progress and recovery....anything else was just an aberation...

I think since Mike is gone now it's safe to openly talk about this. Jermaine O'Neal told Mike Brown in the tunnel outside the locker room the day after the team was elimenated by Detroit in the E.C. finals (clean out the locker day btw) that Ron Artest needed to be gone. He said this in front of at least 2 other people & he was not quiet about it at all.

Which brings me a question to you. What if that conversation had not been with Mike Brown but had been with Donnie Walsh & in that conversation the following words were said "I love being here, I love being a Pacer, I want to end my career here but I can't be on a team with Ron Artest. I would prefer it if you would trade Ron away but if you can't I would prefer to be moved on".

Now let me ask, in my hypothetical question, if you were Donnie who would you choose? Now before somebody gets on here & tells me that they would have just told J.O. to stick it in his @ss because he was under contract please understand it doesn't work that way. Trust me on this, Ron has a huge fan base. It has grown by leaps & bounds since the suspension because he is now a martyr. But when this conversation went down Ron had his fans but J.O. had the vast majority of fans. All it would have taken would have J.O. to go public with some of the stuff & then people would have been all over the Pacers about Ron.

I digress.

Of course we all know about the plane fight, the locker room fight, the destroyed locker room in Mn. & the list goes on & on.

At what point in time is enough enough.
                another somewhat crucial part of the situation i believe....
                BTW...as far as when enuff is enuff....see my other post...just remember 777

JO and all of this....management doesnt get paid the big bucks for nothing....players get paid alot of money to play...donnie and larry and the like get paid alot of money to manage....

but ur right ..u dont tell someone to stick it up their a$$...it doesnt work that way...

im reminded of a conversation i had one time with an engineer that worked for my father....he told me of a time he had just had it....he was so pi$$ed about a number of things that he went screaming into my dads office (i know u mentioned jo was being very calm and collected, which is fine) to tell my father off and to quit...he told me, "i dont know how ur father does it" "i walked out of his office an hour later went back to work, and felt really silly on the one hand for the way i had acted, but very grateful to ur father, on the other hand, for taking the time to calmly and respectfully help me look at all the factors involved and decide what was truly in MY best interest"...i might mention i had this conversation with him about a year after the incident and he was still happily employed in the same position....

thats the way it works....JO is young...and immature at times...these sorts of emotional thoughts are understandable...the train of thought is understandable....and goes to what im talking about when u dont fully understand what is going on....u have to believe that there is way for success....JO didnt see it at that time...the world doesnt work that way....if JO would have gone or does go to donnie or larry it would probably work out similar to the aforementioned conversation....

i will tell u this....i firmly believe that the comments larry made regarding jo a week or so ago point directly to this....jo as the leader of this team has to realize that the sort of action-demanding ron be traded-is not acceptable...moreover if he doesnt embrace the idea and fully understand the situation to the point that he can lead this team thru these sorts of issues, then they will look for someone who can....jo doesnt make the decisions on whats best for the ball club....larry and donnie do that...i read the other day where one of the few times larry brown wasnt much involved in personnel matter was when he was here....thats one of the many reasons this franchise has been so successful under donnies regime...though he s made mistakes there are no questions whose in control and whose making the proper calls....

i like JO....and ive seen him mature alot...and just as larry said i think JO will grasp this task and run with it....i get the feeling jo can accomplish alot if he sets his mind to it....and he has to set his mind to the fact that he and ron are goiing to lead this team to a championship....and its up to him to make sure that he handles things in maybe a bit more mature way than not allowing someone on a plane or into his locker room.....thats posing and not really leading....but jermaine is young so i give him a pass for those things and an A for effort...

i wonder if jordan ever went to krause or jackson and said...its rodman or me....maybe a younger jordan wouldve....a wise mature jordan said we need him and its up to me to see that we get the most out of him on the court so we can win a championship...

I now wish to turn the tables a little on you & ask you to examine yourself on this. Is it just possible that since you are a fan of Rons that you are predisposed to look beyond these issues? That you will hear what you want to hear just like I hear what I want to hear?

Or is it only those of us on the Anti-Ron side of the fence that have this abilty?
                i cant speak for those of u on the 'antiron' side....i can only speak for myself...

i feel im not prejudiced nearly like some of u 'antiron' are....if for no other reason i feel im somewhat objective...and this is why....

i dont think you will catch me trying to downplay many of the things ron has done...ESPECIALLY off the basketball court....on the court...maybe...because i will always give those with the most talent the most leeway on the court...its human nature....look at jordan....this game is all about players doing things that surprise us....

anyway...if i look beyond its only in once sense....seeing a ron when hes put most of his emotional issues to rest, figuratively speaking, and seeing a teammate that can be a leader of this team for many successful years to come....however i believe there will be issues along the way...these types of things arent easy...however if the proper people are involved and the proper steps are taken for the team i believe it can be a very successful process...and the end results will be worth the effort...at last count we still havent won an nba championship....i believe we will multiple championships with JO and ron as the cornerstones as long as certain steps are followed...

im not the type of person who will try to typically twist things around to necessarily make someone else dislike something i dont like...i welcome the opportunity for differing likes...if uve noticed, i dont expect u to like ron, though i cant help but think ur inclined to do so, i only wish people would look past the surface to see whats really going on and not just take the easy wayout and say hes lunie and get rid of him....

as u know...i dont like austin....so i make a special effort to dwell strictly on his performance...and when i dont like something i try to put forth extra effort to make sure im being unbiased....its not easy...but if ur aware of the problem...and yes, i think some of u have a problem when it comes to this....then its easier to address...as u say though, u first have to acknowledge u have the problem and then want to do something about it....i was hoping after some of this discussion u might want to do something about it....but i realize thats not my call

i can only say this...i havent been around here long...but u will seldom see me wear blinders where anyone is concerned...i call spades spades...if my favorite guy fukks up...i say so...

but my favorite thing...just as i did with u...is to ask...why did he/you do that?

Comment

Originally posted by foretaz

as u know...i dont like austin....
                  I think I've read most of your posts, and you say you don't like Austin a lot.

What is it you don't like? Do you dislike him as a person or player or both? Austin doesn't have an attitude and he doesn't rock the boat, so other than his game and contract, what's there not to like?

Comment

What is it you don't like? Do you dislike him as a person or player or both? Austin doesn't have an attitude and he doesn't rock the boat, so other than his game and contract, what's there not to like?
                    It's the hair....the HAIR!!! With 8 million dollars, he could at least get a wig...
                    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Comment

[QUOTE]
                      I know that sounds silly but you would not beleive how many times we have read over the last two years on here that not only would the Pacer not win a title without Ron, they wouldn't even be much above a .500% team. I kid you not when I say there have been a couple of people over time (not our faithfull PD members but some of the fringe) that would actually compare Ron to Jordan. But even reasonable thoughtfull posters can fall prey to some of this. Uncle Buck (who is the man btw) himself falls prey to this on occasion. When he says that the season ended on 11/19/04 it wasn't because of the turmoil, it was because without Artest he didn't beleive we were a very good team.

I guess I just have always felt there are some players you can live without & Ron is just one of those IMO.

Ok, I guess I should have gone one more paragraph down before I talked about U.B. because you just did the same thing. Let's just agree to disagree on this I don't feel the season title hopes were ended on that night. An entire season of turmoil & injury's did in the season IMO, but you are entitled to yours.
                      you dont want him here....and u want to win a championship....how could u take the stance that u do if u felt he was necessary to win that championship....we as humans often want to belittle the importance or devalue something that we have decided we dont want....it hurts less that way....

all i would say is this....do u really believe that all the things he brings to the team from a basketball standpoint is not needed to win a championship....not that it matters, but any other basketball player with basketball skills anywhere similar to his make 2 to 3 times more than he does(with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions-usually rookie contracts) and since there are financial constraints to be followed it seems highly unlikely the pacers would fare as well without him...

youve said hes a great basketball player...great teams with great basketball players win championships....if u get rid of him ur more than likely not gonna replace him with a great player....which means ur chances diminish...

Now to the Rodman thing. Two huge huge differances.

1. Michael Jordan was on that team & was the unquestioned leader on the floor, in the locker room & at practice. He was the most strong willed player to probably ever to play the game & Rodman did not cross any lines that Mike laid down for him.

2. Phil Jackson allowed Dennis his rebellions as long as it did not take away from the team. Dennis never at the end of a game decided that he should take over on the offensive end, so Phil didn't have that problem.

Now as to winning or not winning a title without Ron or with him. I'll say this, yes, if unencumbered by distrations & problems any team would want a Ron Artest. However when you take him you take the whole package so therefor you will get his distrations & problems. A mentally tough & strong team can over come this. Our team is not (by their own admission) this.

As to being one of the best players in the NBA, I've never really questioned that. I don't know where he ranks in a top 20 list or anything like that because how do you compare him to what a center or point guard does. I will just say this. If T-Mac is a small forward he is a better s.f. than Ron, if King James is a s.f. then he is a better s.f. than Ron. That's it & if neither is a S.F. then Ron is probably the best S.F. in the N.B.A.

But no matter how good he is if he can't get along with his team mates, follow his coach's instructions or not melt down in stressfull situaitons I would take a less talented player in his spot.
                      bottom line is ...rodman did provide many distractions and disruptions....whether it was headbutting refs or kicking cameramen or whatever....that was with dennis everywhere he went...what it says is its quite possible to win, even while those things are happening....now my choice would be to not have those things... but teams have to overcome all sorts of things to wiin a championship....u prefer they be as few as possible...but whos to really say....

hes a great player, as u say....with problems that lead to distractions and disruptions...these problems are fixable and are able to be dealt with if handled correctly....why not do that?

I want to deal with this right here. It's kind of like being the one person in town who see's the wolves in the night. Everybody in town thinks you are nuts & an old cook, but once the chickens have been killed & others see the wolves you feel like a prophet & certainly wish others would have listened to you early on. Now while I'm not prophet I do wish people would have taken a hard look at him prior to this season. & yes to answer your question sometimes I do feel like saying "I told you so".
                      saying i told u so feels good...especially since none of us have any control over the situation...i realize that....

ron is not a wolve stalking the chickens however....hes a team member who wants the exact same things....

it doesnt take a rocket scientist nor a prophet to see that he has issues....nor is hard to point out that these issues will be the source of consternation from time to time....

i think u should give people a bit more credit....i think the important people are and have been taking a very hard look at this....and been very proactive in dealing with it...though not to everyones approval...but then would u really expect that? bottom line is the people that matter are able to take a much more indepth look than u and i and have many more facts available than u and i....do u not trust their judgement? something tells me u r a pretty intellignet individual....if ur area of expertise was the same as donnie and larry and u were indeed in their shoes i have a sneaking suspicion u would be making the same decisions....take that as a compliment because thats the way its intended....

Why single him out????? Are you kidding me?

I may be dumb here but honestly can you think of any one Pacer that has gone on his own in late game situations that went away from the called play other than Ron & maybe Jamaal? You can't compare J.O. on this because the play is called for him to shoot usually. You can have a problem with this if you want (I do btw) but you can't fault J.O. for going with the play. Do other players break plays? Of course.

But none at such critical times in critical games.
                      its not that i dont want to be objective...and not that i want to ignore this...its just that i feel that if u start trying to second guess everything that goes on the court, there is no end to it...it goes to mindset...there is no such thing as a perfect ball player....even the very greatest make many of the mistakes u mention...especially earlier in their careers...and bottom line ron is still only 25 or whatever....

weve agreed hes a great basketball player....i will agree he makes mistakes on the court both mental and physical....to me this makes him just like everyone else....

Comment

i should probably quit saying that....cause most round here probably think that i feel about austin the way some around here feel about artest...

nothing could be further from the truth...i do think the comments he made in the ny times article were very inappropriate...not because they were about ron..but because i thought it was the sort of thing that should be kept in house...i dont think it did anything to help matters....now that being said...i was surprise he made those comments....i thought it a bit out of character for him...hes a big team guy...

austins not one of my favorites...thats what i really mean...ive got nothing against him at all...i think he tries hard and gets the most out of what hes got to work with....do i think hes drastically over paid???yup...but i dont blame him for that one little bit...i would have done the same thing if in his shoes....and i understand why the pacers did it...its unfortunate and it sux...but it just happens in the business theyre in...

i guess this is the best way to describe it....i root for him just like the other guys....i do kinda cringe however when he comes to the scorers table....i think hes a very specialized player in this league and should probably be a guy that is off and on the IL....and have said i would hope he would resign with the pacers at the end of his contract and finish his career out here...all at the vets min

ive been careful, i think, to say i dislike him...if i said that im sorry...but i dont think i did....i rarely have much dislike for anyone....especially on my beloved pacers....i think austin and eddie gill suck....but just where their performance is concerned....problem there is eddie makes almost no money relatively speaking while austin makes scot pollards salary to suck a relative bargain...

Comment

I still don't quite understand what you just said. I agree you should probably quit saying you don't like Croshere, though. Generally when someone says they don't like someone it means they dislike them.

I can honesty say I don't like about 5 billion people, because you can't really like someone you don't know. However, I don't dislike those 5 billion people either.

Now you follow the Pacers and you know about Croshere, so when you say you don't like him, your readers are naturally going to think you dislike him. If you don't feel one way or the other about someone you generally don't say anything about them.

I do understand what your saying when you explain he's not one of your favorites though.

Comment

I'm dealing with this here because I don't want this to get lost. I would only have said same ole Ron because of the cheap bump he gave Ben. But other than that I feel (& of course have no way to prove) that I would have had zero problem with Ron punching Ben square in the jaw. In fact I feel as though my respect for him would have gone way up because then I would take my big bully theory & throw it out the window.

Also again two can play this game. You basically are saying that no matter what Ron does he will always be forgiven by you & that you will overlook & condem his actions at the same time. But back on point I would have felt great if he went toe to toe with Big Ben.
                            whats wrong with forgiveness?? it makes both parties feel much better, trust me...repeat after me 'Ron, I For.....'....anyway...i just dont see the sense in not forgiving and holding a grudge and harnessing the hate....it serves no purpose...it really doesnt...doesnt do u any good...doesnt do ron any good..and doesnt do any of the fans-like on here-any good..

i will continue to condemn bad behavior when it happens...ill try to not hate anyone for it...unless they show no remorse or interest in changing it...

part of me woulda liked to see him fight with ben...but i realized by not doing that, that he was making progress...if people wanna make him a bully for that...well thats their choice i suppose...

peck...and i mean this with all due respect....u ve made it obvious that u dont like him....i would propose or at least hope, that everything u outlined to me in this very well thought out post doesnt say that....what it has said is u truly dont like rons behavior at times....that u find it totally uncacceptable....u havent really told me or described to me how u dont like him....in fact by your own words he should be ur favorite....this is very telling....

because ur basically saying i dont like the way ron responds or exercises judgement in certain scenarios....thats really what i take from all this...and its a far cry from not liking the guy...IN FACT
                            what u have really done is identify whats truly the issue....

U DO LIKE THE GUY...U LOVE THE GUY...HE SHOULD BE UR FAVORITE...but u cant allow urself to have a favorite that has behaved the way he has....and i understand that....i really really do....its like u have built this defense mechanism to keep from being hurt by ron any more...

u quit giving him a chance a long time ago...u just couldnt risk it....cause u knew he would break ur heart...i mean he always does....and every thing that happens u just say to anyone that listens...'see, i told u so' i was right...wanting that validation that the decision u made was the right one-even though somewhere inside its not the one u want....

i dont want to make this too deep....but at the same time, it seems very clear to me....i just couldnt understand and still cant understand how it is possible to have such disdain/hate for a basketball player even if they are guilty of inappropriate responses and poor judgement....

but now we see its really not about that...its about putting our trust in someone and then having them let us down....and that can cause the venom to spew....

so i would say this....and i began to touch on it in a post on this thread earlier...

i understand how all of the events u described are unacceptable...with most of them i agreed....however, i try to really understand why people do what they do...not just what they do....because peoples responses and reactions are very telling....

some people are just a$$holes and d!cks....i really dont think ron falls in that category...and i dont think u think he does either...its very apparent that ron has deepseated emotional issues with regarding response mechanisms that come from way way back....its also pretty apparent that he needs to continue to get the help that he obviously has been getting since larry bird came on board....these issues arent easily resolved and definitely take some time....but if u look very very closely, and are truly objective...he has made progress...he really has....is he better?? hardly....will he have relapses? certainly....so that means more risks for those that choose to put a certain amount of faith in him...but really....is he a bad guy? no...you cant help but like tons of things about him...u know thats true....its called managed expectations....its about understanding all thats really goiing on...so u can better deal with it...not just us as fans but the players and organization as well.....
                            having a proper understanding of what problems are go along way to helping deal with the ebbs and flows that they can create....being a fan and not having any idea at times, can be even more difficult...and i truly understand why people would simply not risk trusting him....

but at the very least...dont hate him...because u reallly dont...u actually like so many, many things about him...you only hate some of his behavior patterns from the past...realize why he has done those things-that hes got some very deep seated problems with the way he sometimes processes things...and take consolance that hes working on making them better...though probably will never do so as quickly as we would all like, especially ron....trust me when i tell u...as difficult as it is on the organization and us fans....there is no one its more difficult for than ron....the pacers can just trade him away....the fans just can choose to hate him....ron has to live with his life and can only choose to try and work thru all those events that took place in his childhood that caused him to think the way that he does
                            this to me is what really goes to the heart of the matter...the original question being why do u have so much disdain/hate for ron....

to which u said....

Plans change. That`s how I live my life now. Let`s please move on...

ummm...i think u stole that line from another post....

and im not really sure how to take that...but it still seems like thats really kind of right to the point...goes right to the root of the disdain and hate...again...please at least give it serious consideration and consider the possibility...

Comment

I still don't quite understand what you just said. I agree you should probably quit saying you don't like Croshere, though. Generally when someone says they don't like someone it means they dislike them.

I can honesty say I don't like about 5 billion people, because you can't really like someone you don't know. However, I don't dislike those 5 billion people either.

Now you follow the Pacers and you know about Croshere, so when you say you don't like him, your readers are naturally going to think you dislike him. If you don't feel one way or the other about someone you generally don't say anything about them.

I do understand what your saying when you explain he's not one of your favorites though.
                              agreed....i shouldnt say it...because when i say it...especially when i just type it on here....it conveys the wrong meaning...if i said it in a conversation with someone in person...it might make sense...on here it doesnt....

as is obvious...i type my thoughts...in pretty much the exact way i would say them...ill definitely try to watch that....

Comment

Peck-

Not sure if this had been discussed, but if Ron is such a bully, why didn't he fight back when Pierce shoved him in last year's playoff? He could easily take Pierce, yet he chose to fall back and smile at him from the floor.
                                You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Comment

Working...
                                X