Thread: Some randem thoughts on game #7

Default Some randem thoughts on game #7

I don't want to put this in the game thread.

Some quick thoughts

That was a great, great NBA playoff game. If you didn't enjoy that then you don't like NBA basketball

Haslem is very underrated. I know many have said the Heat are weak at the power forward position, but I was watching Haslem tonight and he is very solid. His defense is superb, both indivdually and teamwise. He hits the open shots. If he ever gets sick of the humidity in So. Fl, I'd love to see him in a Pacers uniform

Mental toughness. Well you saw it tonight with the Pistons, not much else needs to be said.

Guard play. In the last 5 minutes of a close NBA playoff game, the guards decide the games. Tonight was a perfect example. The Heat took several bad shots late, did not go to Shaq enough, while the Pistons guards controlled the late 5 minutes and got the ball where it needed to be. They made plays

Pacers need better guard play, someone who can make shots, defend, and get the ball where it needs to go. I'm not talking just about point guard. (Small forward is included a little bit in this also)

You might hate the Pistons, but damn you have to admire their toughness.

PacersFan

Default Re: Some randem thoughts on game #7

Oh well, it'll be sweet having their hearts broken against the Spurs after reaching the finals again. This time they'll actually have to play against a TEAM in the finals.

canyoufeelit

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Haslem is very underrated. I know many have said the Heat are weak at the power forward position, but I was watching Haslem tonight and he is very solid. His defense is superb, both indivdually and teamwise. He hits the open shots. If he ever gets sick of the humidity in So. Fl, I'd love to see him in a Pacers uniform
    I gotta disagree here. Rasheed seemed to get deep position whenever he wanted, and to boot since Haslem is undersized Rasheed could just shoot over the top. That was a huge mismatch which was exploited and exposed pretty much all series long. Also Miami's poor defense on Rip Hamilton's motion and the pick and roll... two things you definitely won't see with San Antonio.

But Billups/Parker, that will determine the series there. Parker is a guy who I think has the kind of athletic talent to be the best PG in the league, but I wonder if Billups will post him up over and over again which he seemed to do to Damon Jones - very successfully at that. Detroit has a huge advantage if they can do this. Ginobili defending Prince is pretty much the same as Wade/Prince, you can post him up but only to somewhat limited success.

Bruce Bowen/Rip Hamilton, is believe it or not, where I think San Antonio has a huge advantage. Yes, advantage, you read that correct. Detroit generates so much of their offense throughout the game because of the constant motion that Hamilton uses to separate from defenders. Bruce Bowen may be the best I've ever seen at fighting through screens and sticking to his man like glue. I think you could see Detroit have some major offensive woes stemming from this.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersFan
    Oh well, it'll be sweet having their hearts broken against the Spurs after reaching the finals again. This time they'll actually have to play against a TEAM in the finals.

Yes, it would be HEARTBREAKING to make it to the finals 2 years straight and only come out with one championship.....

Might be a little disappointed, but San Antonio is the one team in the NBA I can accept losing to.

If you wanted to see Pistons fans suffer, you should have rooted for Miami tonight. Everything from here on out is gravy. Sorry, guys.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    Everything from here on out is gravy. Sorry, guys.
    If you believe that BS, you're admitting this isn't a championship-calibure team.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    If you believe that BS, you're admitting this isn't a championship-calibure team.
    No, I'm admitting the Spurs are a team that matches us. We can beat them, they can beat us.

Losing to a team that good is hardly heartbreaking. You can't always expect the world.

Of course I expect us to win. I just wouldn't be shocked if we lost, either.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes, it would be HEARTBREAKING to make it to the finals 2 years straight and only come out with one championship.....

Might be a little disappointed, but San Antonio is the one team in the NBA I can accept losing to.

If you wanted to see Pistons fans suffer, you should have rooted for Miami tonight. Everything from here on out is gravy. Sorry, guys.
    Yup. That last paragraph is pretty much how I feel. San Antonio is a similar version of the Pistons (a better one IMO). The Pistons won't get swept or destroyed, though. The Spurs aren't invincible, but they're the definite favorites.

The Pistons validated their championship, legacy-wise, IMO by winning tonight. Incredible game. UB hit the nail on the head by saying that was a great, great NBA playoff game.

Exactly.

If the Pacers won the title one year, and lost in the finals the next.....My god, I could die a happy man.

The Spurs are just like the Pistons. They are filled with seasoned vets that know how to win playoff games, and close teams out. So this will be a great series to watch.

If Detroit loses, it'll be because SA is a better team. Detroit and their fans will have nothing to be upset about. Obviously a loss will be "disappointing".....But now Detroit has officially validated that they are "for real" and were not a "one hit wonder"

canyoufeelit

Quote Originally Posted by PacerFanAdam
    Exactly.

If the Pacers won the title one year, and lost in the finals the next.....My god, I could die a happy man.

The Spurs are just like the Pistons. They are filled with seasoned vets that know how to win playoff games, and close teams out. So this will be a great series to watch.

If Detroit loses, it'll be because SA is a better team. Detroit and their fans will have nothing to be upset about. Obviously a loss will be "disappointing".....But now Detroit has officially validated that they are "for real" and were not a "one hit wonder"
    I don't buy that. You gotta repeat to be a great team. (Same goes for the Spurs)

If the Pacers won 9 straight championships and are in the NBA finals trying to get their 10, I'd be pissed if they did not win.

I don't understand you Piston fans.

Good work Pistons, I couldn't stand the Heat making the finals. As amazing as it makes Wade look I just find it to be very boring basketball.

Pistons v Spurs should be epic.

Quote Originally Posted by canyoufeelit
    I don't buy that. You gotta repeat to be a great team. (Same goes for the Spurs)
    Come on, now. If the Spurs win the title, that's 3 times in 7 years, despite having no back-to-backs. And you're saying they're NOT a great team. They've been unequivocally the best team in the league since they've got Duncan, and that includes the Lakers, who won 3 straight.

If the Pacers won 9 straight championships and are in the NBA finals trying to get their 10, I'd be pissed if they did not win.

Its called being grateful for the good times.

In reality, this cast of nobodies has managed to work their way into history.

Nobody ever really expected anything out of thes eguys to begin with. They weren't destined champions. They don't have any annointed future hall of famers. For their talent, they have achieved more than ANYBODY in the HISTORY of basketball has, with their talent level.

This team has FAR exceeded my expectations. Not even the bad boys were this mentally tough. Maybe a better team, but they did NOT have this kind of sickening toughness.

The Bad Boys were 2-3 in series in which they didn't have home court advantage. This current team is 3-0.

Read this by the Sports Guy, Bill Simmons. Piston fans are on Year 1.

Midway through the World Series, I called in for a scheduled ESPN Radio appearance in New York. The producers put me on hold and hurried a caller -- Vinny from Brooklyn (or was it Mario from Yonkers?) -- who was whining about the Yanks like a disgruntled ex-wife. Keep in mind, the Yanks were two wins away from their kajillionth title. Of course, that didn't stop this guy from griping about Soriano and Giambi, questioning Torre's mental faculties and wondering if Aaron Boone should be legally disemboweled. Even more amazing, the hosts seemed to agree with him.

When I finally made it on the air, I had to clarify one thing: "Wait a second ... aren't you guys in the World Series right now?" You'd have thought it was July and they were 20 games out. Apparently, winning four titles since '96, plus vanquishing the Mets once and the Red Sox twice, wasn't enough.

You shouldn't be allowed to take winning for granted. Look, I'm a Sox fan -- we sit around asking each other questions like, "Would you sacrifice one of your big toes for a World Series?"

If you can't appreciate good fortune, you shouldn't be following sports in the first place. That's why when I become Commissioner of Sports -- and don't shake your head, it could happen -- championship teams will be rewarded with prolonged grace periods. Translation: no *****ing for five years from their fans. I'm not saying that competitive fire should shift to cruise control, but, honestly, how can you complain about anything once you get that ring?

Admittedly, nothing feels stranger than those first seasons after your team wins a title. Sure, you want them to keep winning, but the desperation just isn't there. Suddenly, you're shrugging off excruciating losses. You feel stupid for questioning anything, even as your guys are sticking a stamp on the season. Hey, your number just came up in the Lucky Sports Line -- whether you supported the Angels, Ravens, Rams, D-Backs or whomever -- but unless you have Kobe and Shaq, or Steinbrenner's checkbook, you know it won't happen again for a while. C'mon, you won the title. Kick your feet up and relish the next few years. It's like gambling with the house's money.

After my Patriots reached the Promised Land (Feb. 3, 2002), I unveiled a new favorite sentiment: "That's all right, we won the Super Bowl." Those eight words have remained a personal mantra for the past two seasons, even as I continued to follow the team with the intensity of Andrew Shue reading a cue card. A 99-0 defeat to the Dolphins wouldn't faze me. It's like I'd ODed on happy pills. Deep down, I wondered if I'd ever care as much about football again. How can you top climbing Mt. Everest for the first time?

With that sense of urgency in hibernation, leftover players and coaches from the championship team become like family. You still want them to succeed, but you won't hold it against them if they lose. If only we always felt like that.

This year's Pats team fended off a relentless injury bug, then rattled off five straight wins (and counting), including dramatic turns in Miami and Denver. That Broncos game -- a Monday night comeback, no less -- even left me a jittery wreck, but in a good way. Unlike the recent Red Sox roller coaster ride, it didn't feel like life or death. There was no urgency, and no negativity. That's a good place to be. And hey, if they win again this time, I get five more years tacked onto the three I already have ... that takes me into my 40s!

So for all those ungrateful Yankee fans out there -- at least the few who can read -- put a sock in it. As one of my readers once wrote, rooting for that team is like rooting for the house in blackjack. With 26 grace periods in the bank, you should be walking around with one of those permanently dumb smiles on your face. You know how Michael Douglas looks now that he's got Catherine Zeta-Jones? That should be you. I don't want to hear another peep until the year 2053.

canyoufeelit

Quote Originally Posted by shags
    Come on, now. If the Spurs win the title, that's 3 times in 7 years, despite having no back-to-backs. And you're saying they're NOT a great team. They've been unequivocally the best team in the league since they've got Duncan, and that includes the Lakers, who won 3 straight.
    Well, they repeated, albeit not back-to-back. But you gotta win more than one.

And don't be stupid, the Shaq/Kobe Lakers were better. Just flat out unbeatable at the start of the new millenium. The Spurs right now, if they don't get another championship to validate themselves... will be looked at as the bridge between Jordan's greatness and Shaq's greatness. And maybe even Pistons greatness.

So are you saying you count 99 and 03 as repeating or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Fool

Unless you want to call it a duncan dynasty, no. Only Duncan, Robinson, and Malik Rose were on both teams.

canyoufeelit

They repeated, but it's not the same. They don't have to go back-to-back, because 2 of 3 is pretty darn good. But the 99 and 03 championships were too far apart and in-between them was a far, far better team.

Funny, the winner of this series will create a dynasty when you really think about it. That's what's on the line.

In my opinion dynasties and validation are seperate subjects.

Unless you want to call it a duncan dynasty, no. Only Duncan, Robinson, and Malik Rose were on both teams.

And Kerr, I believe.

canyoufeelit

In my opinion dynasties and validation are seperate subjects.
    I guess it was a poor word choice if it makes you happy. The 2003 championship valdidated that they were no fluke champion in 1999, if that's what you mean. But they definitely need another to prove that they weren't the bridge between the Bulls dynasty and the Lakers dynasty... just like the Pistons need this one to prove that they aren't the random fluke champion who interrupted a Spurs dynasty.

A place in history is definitely at stake here.

I guess it was a poor word choice if it makes you happy. The 2003 championship valdidated that they were no fluke champion in 1999, if that's what you mean. But they definitely need another to prove that they weren't the bridge between the Bulls dynasty and the Lakers dynasty... just like the Pistons need this one to prove that they aren't the random fluke champion who interrupted a Spurs dynasty.

A place in history is definitely at stake here.
    This Pistons team has already done more than any team in hsitory with their level of talent.....

A 2nd title would definately give them higher stature, but their place in history is set.

BabbleOn

the Pistons need this one to prove that they aren't the random fluke champion who interrupted a Spurs dynasty.
    Someone explain to me where the notion of a "fluke champion" came from? When has there Ever been a fluke NBA champion? There's a reason why tons of people predicted Detroit/San An Finals correctly...because the best teams win in this league. So any debate about a fluke champion is invalid.

This Pistons team has already done more than any team in hsitory with their level of talent.....

A 2nd title would definately give them higher stature, but their place in history is set.

Agreed.

The Pistons are the only team I can think of that have won a title without a mega-superstar.

canyoufeelit

No it isn't. I've got a perfect analogy for you. Nobody really remembers the 99 or 03 Spurs and reminisces, "Gosh, the Spurs were dominant in 99 and awesome in 03" other than Spurs fans. A "boring" team needs to win until everybody is completely sick of them to truly cement that place in history.