Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tbird 2017 NBA Draft Analysis #3: OG Anunoby

Default Tbird 2017 NBA Draft Analysis #3: OG Anunoby

We take the short trip to Bloomington Indiana today to take a detailed look at the 3rd draft profile in this class, Ogugua Anunoby Jr….better known as OG (no periods) from Indiana University, via Jefferson City, Missouri and London England. You can find the first 2 articles of this 2017 class, profiles of Bam Adebayo and T.J. Leaf, elsewhere on this site.

Born not far from Scotland Yard, OG’s professor father moved his family to America to Jefferson City, where he is a professor of business at Lincoln University. Jefferson City, the state capital of Missouri, is a fascinating town by the way…..known as the the most beautiful small town in America. An eclectic town smaller than Bloomington, it has a famous state prison that has held many well known criminals, like Pretty Boy Floyd, former boxer Sonny Liston, and James Earl Ray, the assassin of Martin Luther King Jr.

Despite being relatively small, for some reason, Jefferson City produces a high number of famous people. The golfer John Daly, Cedric the Entertainer, the star women’s basketball player Maya Moore, and a host of other professional athletes, politicians, and Hollywood types. In fact, Anunobys’ brother, Chigbo, made it to the NFL as a defensive tackle for several teams, including our Indianapolis Colts.

OG will try to continue the family and hometown tradition of success in the NBA, as he chose to enter the draft this spring despite suffering a season ending knee injury vs Penn State on January 18, 2017. In one plus seasons at IU, OG flashed considerable upside while still showing his own youth and inexperience. Anunoby is younger than most sophomores, with his birthday being July 7, 1997, meaning he will still be just 19 years old on draft night. While not putting big numbers at IU in regard to statistics this season, 11.1 PPG and 5.4RPG to be exact, he still is solidly a first round draft prospect in the eyes of most evaluators. Yet, the knee injury and his lack of polish means he may well be available at pick #18 to us, as his inability to work out for teams may make teams ahead of us uncertain about his future.

Should we be queasy about taking Anunoby ourselves if presented with the opportunity? Let’s take a look at his game under the microscope. Keep in mind, that I, having no medical information at my disposal, am assuming that his knee injury will heal perfectly and that his rehab will get him back as strong or stronger as before. Keep that caveat in mind, because athleticism is his major calling card. If there is a lingering knee, or ankle, or wrist, injury (he has had issues with all of them at times) then the teams will have to factor that in.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

His size, body, and frame stand out to you right from jump street. At 6’7 ¾ tall, 232lbs, with a wingspan of 7’2 ¼ and standing reach of 8’11 ½, Anunoby is a physical freak despite being only 19 years old. In particularly, his strong lower body and thick legs give him a chance to guard bigger people than he is, and I think that in short spurts he can guard all 5 positions on the floor in the league…..I think he is a “90%” guy….he can guard 90% of the players in the NBA, no matter the position, and be a major defensive force for you.

Anunoby has elite, rare, and spectacular defensive tools. His ability to “sit” in a stance coupled with his ridiculous length make him a major weapon in the modern NBA defensive world.

It isn’t that OG jumps ridiculously high….it’s that he jumps ridiculously “quick”....he can elevate quickly and easily to contest shots, and he is one of the rare players who can block a players perimeter jump shot guarding him one on one. I think he is the best player at contesting jump shots, when he is focused and engaged and in position, I have evaluated in a long time. He literally can go from a slide to a leap in a microsecond, and that is an awesome defensive skill to have. Shooting over OG is a nightmare for offensive players. To score on him, you’ll need to get by him or fool him somehow, because one on one you aren’t going to beat him very often.
    He also is capable of giving you great rim protection, when he is somewhere near the basket.

Now, like all 19 year olds, he isn’t the most aware of players as a team defender, and he did much better at IU when just given simple assignments and a clear role. He will lose awareness in help situations sometimes, and he can be very “man” oriented and lose track of the ball. Like all IU players under Tom Crean, he gives horrific closeout angles with his footwork, and opens the gate for people to drive by him…..except in his case, he stops people anyway. He can only become better defensively in my opinion, once he actually learns how to play. But what makes him unique to me is his rare athleticism (prior to the knee injury anyway, the disclaimer that above I told you needs to apply to this entire profile). OG can recover from his mistakes like no other in this draft, just like other top level defenders in the NBA do, like a Tony Allen, Kawhi Leonard, or our own Paul George do. Anunoby has premier levels of bounce, reaction time, and length that you just don’t see that often. His potential as a lock down NBA defender is real.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

His floor therefore is very high…..but how high you project his ceiling to be depends on what you think you can develop him as an offensive player into. Beauty in Anunoby rests in the eye of the beholder in regards to his potential on that end.

Right now, he is a completely and totally straight line driver. He can explode over people for powerful dunks when he can get anywhere near the basket, and he finishes from 2pt range at near a 70% clip mainly because he dunks everything with no fear. But if put in a position where he can’t dunk on a drive, he doesn’t accomplish much. OG has no “shake” to his dribble game, and can’t elude other good defenders. His shot release is slow at the moment and pretty low, so any good defender can bother his pull up game, what little he shows of it at least. There are no real NBA level moves to his driving game, no creativity whatsoever. It is all downhill, straight line, mainly going to his right hand. No mid range, no pull up game, and no drive and kick possibilities as of yet. It is admittedly hard to tell exactly how he would be as a screen setter, because IU had a big/slow Thomas Bryant in his way quite often.

Anunoby will make a big leap from role player to much more beyond that if he can solve the mystery of the jump shot. Right now, he has good enough mechanics to shoot the wide open 3 at a 36% clip in college, and he needs alot of room and space as his release is so slow. Currently, his shot form contains lots of flaws, concerning because Tom Crean is a great developer of shooters, but mitigated some by his lack of playing time/opportunity, his age, and his injury.

I see a jumper which isn’t broken, but that needs help and lots of it. I don’t like his left hand placement on the ball (he kind of blocks his own shot), and more than anything he releases too flat and in front of his body, and doesn’t get that shooting elbow up “through his eye” with a high finish. He also recoils the shooting hand oddly and quickly after release instead of holding his follow thru. He needs high quality coaching, time, and development with a great shooting coach…..but remember, he is only 19! Even if it takes him 3 years to really get comfortable with the 3 point stroke he needs to max out his potential, he will still just be in his early 20’s with a very bright future ahead of him. I like his ability to use different footwork on a catch and shoot, but that ability might also be a curse….maybe just going to one method of footwork might improve him….that is up to a great coach like the Pacers Hal Wissell, or the Spurs Chip Engelland, or the highly regarded Dave Love to figure out. I think from tape that he definitely shoots better on tape when he uses the “heel toe toe” method of stepping into his shot, though I generally prefer a player to “hop” into the shot. I suspect IU left him alone, and I think some team would be smart to simplify and limit him to one way and one way only. And even if he doesn’t develop the jumper to a high level, his floor as a top level defender is still there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You know he will be a guy who can run the floor on the break, offensive rebound, and drive sloppy closeouts, and teams will hope that he can become a respectable spot up shooter. If OG does that, he is highly, highly valuable and will be a rich man when you consider his defensive prowess.

But I also see something else offensively potentially in him. I project Anunoby to be a really good offensive post player, though modern day offense is getting away from that to some degree. I like his strength in his lower trunk, I think he can definitely seal people inside and hold his ground, and I like his ability to jump over the top of his defender and score. OG also has a really strong “Sikma” pivot game, where he can face up slower guys, use just one or two bounces, and finish. I also like him in isolations potentially in the elbow areas, to see if he can take someone slower to the rack.

Those are skills that you like your biggest player to have…..and I think OG has a uniqueness to his talents that make him potentially a guy who can play some small ball 5 for you, assuming you are a modern, forward thinking team. Think about it….as a 5 guy, he can set middle screens and roll to the rim, or short roll to the foul line area, catch, and then finish. He can play the short corner or “back pocket” area and catch lobs. As a 5 man he can potentially sprint the floor and be a rim runner and beat some other slow guy down for dunks, and being nearer the paint lets him offensive rebound more, and mitigates his questionable jumper.

I think he can guard most (not all) modern day 5 guys and give them fits with his athleticism and speed, and he could switch defensively all screens his man sets. If it were me, I’d give him run as a back up 5 man 10 minutes a game or so and see how it develops, especially if he is drafted by a team with development in mind first.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what do we have in OG Anunoby?

I think we have an incredible piece of clay, that could be molded in a few different ways depending on your perspective. Unlike most rookies I think he can play at a good to eventually great level right away defensively, and he has a variety of possibilities of how he could turn out offensively. The rare defensive abilities give him a very high floor, and his potential if he continues to improve with the right guidance gives him a high ceiling as well.

Intelligent, quirky, quiet, and shy are all words that have been used to describe OG to me, as I am more familiar with him and his personality than I would be most prospects I write for PacersDigest. I love the kid, and though I don’t view him as an All Star, I do think his ceiling, if he hits it, is pretty close to that. At worst, he is big time defensive stopper who guards the opponent’s best player night after night, freeing up your best player to concentrate on scoring, all while giving you high energy and 10-15 points per night. If he gets a top notch jumper eventually and improves his handle, then he becomes a star and a nightmare for opponents…..my prediction is that he ends up just shy of that, but is still a vital cog on high level teams.

Assuming my medical staff approves (and that is no sure thing), and assuming I believe strongly in my developmental staff, and have a solid plan on how to bring him him along, I’m taking him at #18 if I am Indiana.
    If it is me I am planning on him playing the “4” position off the bench in year one, letting Thaddeus Young mentor him until we let Thad go, and trying to play him occasionally at the 5 in small lineups with Paul at the 4. I’d also play him with a Paul, Myles, a point guard, and another big sometimes, just to see how that fits…...OG is a swiss army knife I believe, much like Paul is. Interestingly, Anunoby played AAU basketball and became a nationally known player late in his recruiting prospect because he played for “Team Thad”, a Memphis based AAU program ran and funded by Thaddeus Young…..if we draft OF, he is likely Young’s long term replacement, and a piece of a complicated frontcourt puzzle long term in Indiana, which will need multiple flexible pieces around Myles Turner, a player who I think is hard to plan around.

I like Anunoby alot, but I understand the reasoning of people who won’t. They’ll say they don’t like his injury history, the hate his offensive skill set right now, don’t think his jumper can be fixed, and they’ll likely see him as a basketball “empty suit”, a player who has athleticism but who isn’t refined enough to be a real effective player. Because of all that, and with the serious knee injury he sustained in January, I believe that OG is likely being overrated slightly by the media types at this moment, and I think he has a real chance, maybe 30%-40%, to fall to us, which is why I included him in these write ups. I think we should take him most likely if he gets to us.

But, like I mentioned, I think more than likely he doesn’t quite get here…..yet finding a fit for him in teams ahead of us isn’t that easy. With shooting at such a premium, no one as of yet seems to have emerged for a market for someone who isn’t a great shooter yet, but who can STOP great shooters. To me, OG Anunoby is an obvious, glaring fit for Portland at #15, where he can hide the defensive shortcomings of Damon Lilliard and CJ McCollum. Milwaukee in years past has loved guys who are athletic and long above all else, and imagining him there is a scary thought defensively with their roster, though they badly need shooting too. Anunoby in my view is a sensational fit with the defensive needy Timberwolves at pick # 7, and would be a potential long term starter on what is shaping up to be a potential powerhouse eventually in Minneapolis.

In the end, as of today, I’ll predict he ends up in Portland at #15, but if he gets by them I think he has a strong chance to end up living in the Circle City.

NBA comparable: A sane Ron Artest

As always, the above is just my opinion. Feel free to comment and discuss!

Tbird
    Last edited by thunderbird1245; 06-07-2017 at 02:14 PM.

2. The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to thunderbird1245 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Tbird 2017 NBA Draft Analysis #3: OG Anunoby

OG is definitely on the list of guys I'd be happy to get at #18. I think his strong defense and size is a great fit with Myles Turner, and his offense being primarily at the rim is a positive next to our "stretch-5." The injuries worry me a little, but I know Pritch is going to trust the medical staff, and if they clear him, I'm confident in that.

Great write-up, as always, Tbird!
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not sure my heart could handle OG in a Pacers uniform.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird1245 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    . . . NBA comparable: A sane Ron Artest

As always, the above is just my opinion. Feel free to comment and discuss!

Tbird
    If he ends up a sane ron ron, he will be the best player in the draft. I can live with that.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

Wow, a sane Ron Artest is lofty. Defensively, I see that. I think I see more Gerald Wilkins than Ron-Ron on offense.
    Last edited by NapTonius Monk; 06-07-2017 at 04:05 PM.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Found this link:

https://medium.com/@jzmazlish/why-og...0-564dd7408037

which has a whole bunch of OG clips. I'm pretty sold TBH.

No way he is there at #18. Of course I said there is no way Turner would last until #11 and here we are. Bad GMs gonna bad GM.

Sports Logo

You had me at:

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbird1245
    Anunoby has elite, rare, and spectacular defensive tools.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post
    No way he is there at #18. Of course I said there is no way Turner would last until #11 and here we are. Bad GMs gonna bad GM.
    Yeah....I'm thinking the same. There's no way that a super athletic freak with length and a floor as a defensive nightmare lasts to the 18th spot.
    Last edited by CableKC; 06-07-2017 at 04:14 PM.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbird1245
    His shot release is slow at the moment and pretty low, so any good defender can bother his pull up game,
    That's me in a nutshell when it comes to my jumpshot.

I need TBird to help me work on my jumpshot.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

He looks like Butler(before becoming a super star) and Smart, not sure about the knee though.

The type of player Celtics are filling their roster with.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 06-07-2017 at 04:37 PM.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

Oh crap he is Solo Hill
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I'm not sure my heart could handle OG in a Pacers uniform.
    As someone who could never really get into Crean era IU basketball, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    That's me in a nutshell when it comes to my jumpshot.
    Think you've got it bad? Back at school the defenders would just go on a coffee break when I got the ball!

About OG. I am an unabashed IU fan, and always loved watching him play. Having said that, I do still worry about his injury.

It would be a real dream to one day see him and Oladipo on the court together as teammates. That would be really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    As someone who could never really get into Crean era IU basketball, why not?
    The amount of love I have for OG and the amount of love I have for the Pacers would exceed my heart's capabilities and I fear it would explode.

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    The amount of love I have for OG and the amount of love I have for the Pacers would exceed my heart's capabilities and I fear it would explode.
    cdash's reaction on Draft night when he learns that OG is drafted by the Pacers:

Spoiler Spoiler:

25. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    cdash's reaction on Draft night when he learns that OG is drafted by the Pacers:

Spoiler Spoiler:

i would lose all bodily fluids instantaneously

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Usually can't stand to watch IU but I couldn't get enough OG.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like OG, but no way he's dropping to 18.

The knee injury concerns me. Especially since he didn't come back from it and show us anything this season. But hopefully, between tryouts and physicals that issue can be answered for the draft.
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Totally playing Devil's advocate here...

What're the chances OG becomes Michael Kidd-Gilchrist?

Draft.net has OG going 37th to Boston

Sports Logo

Wierd....but DX has OG going to Portland at #15.

Does TBird contribute to DX?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

A sane Ron Artest? If the medical staff are happy, I'm happy. Ron was my favourite player before he broke.
    Pacers fan since April 9th 2004 - New Jersey 80 Indiana 90.
    Visited Indianapolis from November 11-28th 2016, seeing eight Pacers games.
    Saw the Pacers in London, January 2017.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eamer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Totally playing Devil's advocate here...

What're the chances OG becomes Michael Kidd-Gilchrist?
    GET THE **** OUT OF HERE ACE

37. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post: