Thread: Sean May Comments On Upcoming Draft...

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Sean May Comments On Upcoming Draft...

...and, in my opinion, comes off a bit full of himself.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...19/1004/SPORTS

May wants to play for Bobcats

Associated Press
    CHARLOTTE, N.C. — With two lottery picks in the NBA draft, Sean May figures the Charlotte Bobcats can’t avoid selecting a North Carolina player.

May, the Most Outstanding Player of the Final Four after leading North Carolina to the NCAA championship, wants it to be him.

“I think it would be good for the franchise to have a Carolina basketball player here, especially someone the fans can relate to since they have seen them play the last few years,” May said today. “What other great person can that be besides me?”

May, who won Indiana’s 2002 Mr. Basketball award as a player at Bloomington North, said he gave Charlotte’s assistant coaches the same message over dinner and planned to tell coach Bernie Bickerstaff.

Charlotte has the Nos. 5 and 13 picks in the draft. May isn’t projected to be selected much earlier than ninth.

“I would be willing to drop to 13 to come here,” he said. “This for me would be my ideal spot just because it is Carolina and what North Carolina University has meant to me and what this state means to me. For me to come here and help another team in the state of Carolina would be a blessing.”

The Bobcats aren’t focused on selecting a player from one of its in state schools. But there’s plenty to choose from, starting with North Carolina forward Marvin Williams, the player many believe is Charlotte’s first choice.

They also need a point guard, and are interested in Wake Forest’s Chris Paul and North Carolina’s Raymond Felton.

May, whose father Scott played on Indiana’s 1976 NCAA championship team, expects the Carolina trio to be selected within the first 15 picks, increasing Charlotte’s odds of getting a Tar Heel.

“I told (the coaches) they’ve got five and 13, two lottery picks, and with the talk of us three guys going in the top 15, they’ve got to take one,” May said. “I can’t see it not happening.”

Bickerstaff insists he’s looking only for the best available players. But when pressed if having a local tie would give a player an edge, he relented.

“All things being equal, I would say ‘Yes,’ “ Bickerstaff said. “That’s the intelligent thing to do. But they would have to be equal.”

May says he would complement Charlotte forward Emeka Okafor, the NBA’s Rookie of the Year. He has already figured what defenses Charlotte could play with both of them on the floor at the same time, and said he’s also willing to sit behind Okafor to watch and learn for a few years.

“Emeka and I could play together,” he said. “We both are tremendous rebounders. That is one thing I am going to do and have done my entire career is rebound the basketball.”

Also, May said he would have stayed at North Carolina for his senior season if Williams and Felton had not also left for the NBA. Two months ago he contended their departure had nothing to do with his decision.

“Raymond left, which was the catalyst. I thought my production on the floor would be a lot harder without him out there,” May said. “If Ray and Marv would have stayed, I definitely would have stayed because I felt like we would have had a chance to repeat.”
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Default Re: Sean May Comments On Upcoming Draft...

May's starting to get quite the ego, isn't he?

Charlotte really doesn't need him either. With Okafor and Primoz, there's little need for a frontcourt player, especially considering they don't have much in the backcourt.

foretaz

u know...i dont know quite what to think of a player whose trying to get a team to pick him because of where he went to school and the fan appeal it might have....thought it usually came down to being the best player available??....

sounds like to me hes worried if charlotte doesnt pick him at 13 it might be a bit later before he gets drafted....

to publicly put pressure on a franchise like that sounds...well...a bit desperate to me....it also sounds like he knows they probably wont pick him...otherwise...why say these things....

but hey....he is a great rebounder.....

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Aw Heck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Charlotte really doesn't need him either. With Okafor and Primoz, there's little need for a frontcourt player, especially considering they don't have much in the backcourt.
    Primoz...........
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

I don't have a problem with his attitude. Better to be a little cocky than a wuss.

PacerNthaDesert

I've never liked Sean May, probably because he is over weight and plays for UNC

He did impress me in the NCAA tournament though

NewType

I think that with all those pre-draft talks that the Pacers may pick him, he's *****ting his pants that he may actually has to return to Indiana and face all those IU fans here. He's trying to lobby to get drafted before the Pacers.

I won't be supprised that if there is any indication the Bobcats is going in a different direction, he will say similar thing to other teams in the lottery.

ImCrazyB

He's a funny guy.

He really thinks he is going to be the next Elton Brand in the NBA. He's just going to fade into one of those great college guys who never panned out to anything great in the NBA. He's going to be a decent PF coming off the bench but beyond that, I really don't know why anyone would pick him at the 5 spot especially with all the talented guards in this years draft.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

May just broke my heart!

Sean May will be lucky to be picked at #13, I haven't seen any mock drafts with him going before then.

Quote Originally Posted by obnoxiousmodesty
    “I would be willing to drop to 13 to come here,” he said. “This for me would be my ideal spot just because it is Carolina and what North Carolina University has meant to me and what this state means to me. For me to come here and help another team in the state of Carolina would be a blessing.”
    Sean obviously studied the name of the school inside and out over the past 3 years.

I never understood how the "tampering" rules don't apply to players.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

ImCrazyB

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays
    I never understood how the "tampering" rules don't apply to players.
    I guess you could charge them 20 G's but I don't know if college players have that kind of money.

I don't even want Sean Mays. The little bit of respect and acceptance I had for him is gone. I think he's going to have an ego..But not be that great of a player..Kind of like a Freddie Mitchell of the NBA.

Either way, I don't see us getting Mays anyways. After all, He's willing to drop to the 13 for charlotte and because he would be such a steal there that even if Charlotte doesn't choose him, he's sure to go on the very next pick!

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Is Sean Mays related to Willie Mays?