Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jay Williams wants to play for the Pacers among other teams?

Default Re: Jay Williams wants to play for the Pacers among other teams?

Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    AJ was VERY good the end of season and playoffs.
    No.

AJ was very good for a stretch about 2/3 of the way through the season. At the end and in the playoffs, he was solid but nowhere near where he played earlier in the year.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by dipperdunk
    You don't have to use your MLE to re-sign your own players. But if you are over the cap you can only match an offer up to the MLE level for 2nd round draft choices.

If JJ wants to stay with the Pacers all he has to do is sign a deal with the Pacers for like 5 yrs/25 million without testing the market or signing an offer sheet with another team. His agent might tell him to test the market though. The Pacers could give him that money and still use their MLE to sign a free agent if they are willing to increase their overall payroll.

The Boozer situation was that the Cavs had a team option for an extra year with Boozer making his original salary I guess about 300k per season. They dropped that final year in good faith even though they could have forced him to play for the 300k with the understanding that Boozer would just re-sign with them for about the MLE but Boozer instead of just re-signing went out and got an offer from the Jazz that the Cavs couldn't match.

I don't think the Pacers have to worry about losing Jones. There aren't many teams with cap space and how many of them are going to throw 6-7 million per year at Jones? Also the select few teams with cap space might already be stacked at the 3 spot like Atlanta. JJ wouldn't start on Atlanta with Childress and Josh Smith so there is now way they offer him 6-7 million to come off their bench.

I thought he played himself into a big role on a lesser team with his performance against Boston, but he played himself right back out of it in the next round.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I don't get why we are still going to pay Reggie's salary. If we just want to give him some extra change for signing the last contract, hire him as a consultant for the year for X million. He's retired. That's not circumventing the cap.

It doesn't get us under the cap, but it gets us closer. Then if we can dump a contract like Benders or something else creative - Pollard + AJ to Atlanta for a draft pick... We might be able to sign somebody.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    It doesn't get us under the cap, but it gets us closer. Then if we can dump a contract like Benders or something else creative - Pollard + AJ to Atlanta for a draft pick... We might be able to sign somebody.
    I'm tellin ya, man, Austin to Houston for Spoon and Vin Baker.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    I don't get why we are still going to pay Reggie's salary. If we just want to give him some extra change for signing the last contract, hire him as a consultant for the year for X million. He's retired. That's not circumventing the cap.

My guess is that when DW signed Reggie for three years the conversation went something like this:

Reggie: Donnie, I'm willing to take something of a pay cut so we can re-sign these guys - other than that tobacco-spitting dude. How about 2 seasons at 8 million per?

Donnie: Let's make it a three-year deal for a little less money.

Reggie: My mind's made up - no way am I playing past 40. Besides, I have to join Sir Charles and Big Sis on TNT SOMETIME.

Donnie: No problem - I'll even sweeten the deal. Let's make it 3 years at 6 million per. You get some extra bucks, I have a little more for signings this summer. I'll pay you even if you decide to retire after two years.

Or something like that. Kevin McHale-ish but nobody'll ever be able to prove it.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    Or something like that. Kevin McHale-ish but nobody'll ever be able to prove it.
    Is it really McHale-ish? There's nothing illegal about paying a guy who's not playing, is there?

Enjoy your time at PD!

My guess is he'll sign with Houston, if for no other reason that Houston will be able to say they have the #1 and #2 picks of the 2002 draft....
    #2 Picks are nothing to brag about Detroit...

Quote Originally Posted by wooolus
    #2 Picks are nothing to brag about Detroit...
    Ever heard of Isiah Thomas? How about Dave Bing?

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    My guess is that when DW signed Reggie for three years the conversation went something like this:

Reggie: Donnie, I'm willing to take something of a pay cut so we can re-sign these guys - other than that tobacco-spitting dude. How about 2 seasons at 8 million per?

Donnie: Let's make it a three-year deal for a little less money.

Reggie: My mind's made up - no way am I playing past 40. Besides, I have to join Sir Charles and Big Sis on TNT SOMETIME.

Donnie: No problem - I'll even sweeten the deal. Let's make it 3 years at 6 million per. You get some extra bucks, I have a little more for signings this summer. I'll pay you even if you decide to retire after two years.

Isn't that exactly what Montieth said, or was it Conrad or maybe just the great rimfire

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    Is it really McHale-ish? There's nothing illegal about paying a guy who's not playing, is there?

i certainly hope not...cause for about a 15 year stretch from the mid 70s to the late 80s it could be said thats about all we did...

ImCrazyB

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    Ever heard of Isiah Thomas? How about Dave Bing?
    Don't forget Darko!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ImCrazyB
    Don't forget Darko!!!
    2 outta 3 hall of famers aint bad.....