Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skiles looks to be done in Chi

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Skiles looks to be done in Chi

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2078791

Associated Press

CHICAGO -- Chicago Bulls coach Scott Skiles ended negotiations for a contract extension, a month after leading the team to its first playoff appearance in seven years.

"There will be no [extension]," said Skiles' agent, Keith Glass. "It's done. It's enough. There was never a deadline. Scott never gave them one. [Monday morning] I brought it to an end. We've had more than enough time to do a deal."

The Bulls have an option to pay Skiles $2.75 million if he coaches next season, which would be the final season of his three-year deal. The team has until June 30 to exercise that option.

But Skiles said Monday he was unsure if he would be willing to coach next season if the Bulls exercise the option.

"Anything's possible at this point," Skiles said. "I'm just in the process of going through a lot of thoughts in my head about what's best for me right now."

General manager John Paxson declined to comment Monday. A message left for the Bulls on Tuesday was not immediately returned.

In their second season under Skiles, the Bulls improved from 19-47 to 47-35 before losing to Washington in the first round of the playoffs. Exercising the option would make Skiles a potential lame duck.

Skiles came to Chicago with a checkered reputation after spending portions of three seasons as the Phoenix Suns coach. He has said he thinks the Bulls' success this past season repaired his image.

"I've been fairly shocked by the whole process," Skiles said. "I guess at 41 I haven't coached that long that I had a certain naivete about where this team has been and where we'd gotten it to that this wouldn't be a prolonged, difficult process. Keith and I are reasonable people who thought this would be pretty simple to do. We thought wrong."

I just can't comprehend what's going on up there. They're in shambles, then comes this ray of hope, only to shut the door on it.

Do they want to stay at the bottom? I guess karma is just a b****.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Skiles looks to be done in Chi

he'll be coaching next year, wether he wants to or not. The Bulls have that 1-year option.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Well if he doesn't stay, good for us. He was a great coach this year.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Well he has one more year on his contract. So he's not done

Plus, this seems to be to be just part of the negotiations. So he's not done

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    he'll be coaching next year, wether he wants to or not. The Bulls have that 1-year option.
    "But Skiles said Monday he was unsure if he would be willing to coach next season if the Bulls exercise the option."

Seems to me that he has a way out if he wants one.

Skiles was great in Chicago. All my Bull fan friends will not be happy.

Wow.

First, the Bulls will definitely exercise the option. Then Skiles can resign but if a team wants him for the coming season at the least they'll have to give up a draft pick.

If he's available I want him coaching the Knicks. My preference list of names tossed around has been:

1. Larry Brown (impossible anyway)
    2. Phil Jackson (not gonna happen)
    3. Herb Williams - He showed something last year, hard to say if it's enough

If Skiles is available he moves to 2nd ahead of Phil - and Larry's still impossible (but the name was tossed around).

Of course our 2nd rd pick's already in Houston due to that wonderful Mo Taylor trade.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

God damn the Bulls are stupid. Maybe we don't have to worry about them next year after all.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He wants to extend coming off of a magnificent season. Normal human reaction.

Bulls management wants to see if the streak can continue into next season before extending. Perhaps the Bulls will not perform quite as well, and they can save a little money. Normal management reaction.

woman without a team

Is it normal management reaction to have a clause in a contract that says if Skiles gets fired at 2 years (before or after I don't remember) the remainder of his contract gets paid out over the next 20 years!!!

Just something I saw on a Bulls board.

I won't even mention the theory that Skiles could end up the next Pistons coach.

My first reaction is "this guy's a quitter".

Hey, what do you know, it's my second and third reaction, as well.

He quit on the Pacers, and now he appears to be quitting on the Bulls. He's a great guy and a very good Coach but is he worth all the headaches?

Quote Originally Posted by beast23

Bulls management wants to see if the streak can continue into next season before extending. Perhaps the Bulls will not perform quite as well, and they can save a little money. Normal management reaction.
    I argue you can't have a coach on an ending contract, period. Causes all kinds of locker room problems.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

woman without a team

When the hell did he quit on the Pacers? I remember him getting fired (or asked to resign) from the Suns.

Well if Skiles coaches this last year in Chicago then leaves, that'd be the same time as Carlise's three years would be up...

If Bird sticks to that theory anyway.

IndyToad
    Ask Mr. Language Person

Quote Originally Posted by beast23

Also, getting extended before going into your lame duck year helps out with authority on the bench.

If the Bulls management doesn't know this, then great for us!!!!!!!

Dumb management is only a plus for the Pacers!

Quote Originally Posted by grace
    When the hell did he quit on the Pacers? I remember him getting fired (or asked to resign) from the Suns.

When he was on the team and we sucked, he told Donnie that he was quitting basketball (he was pouting) but then it was looked at as he was just tired of losing. It may be more than that. It may be "when the going gets tough, the Skiles gets leaving". But I may be reading too much into this.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMac
    When he was on the team and we sucked, he told Donnie that he was quitting basketball (he was pouting) but then it was looked at as he was just tired of losing. It may be more than that. It may be "when the going gets tough, the Skiles gets leaving". But I may be reading too much into this.
    P.S. This was when he was playing for the Pacers.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    I argue you can't have a coach on an ending contract, period. Causes all kinds of locker room problems.
    Especially when every day, and twice on game days, the media is going to be up in the players' faces asking, "Is the fact that your coach doesn't have a contract for next year a distraction?"

Talking Re: Skiles looks to be done in Chi

Quote Originally Posted by BigMac
    My first reaction is "this guy's a quitter".

Hey, what do you know, it's my second and third reaction, as well.

He quit on the Pacers, and now he appears to be quitting on the Bulls. He's a great guy and a very good Coach but is he worth all the headaches?

What? LOL. Man, you sure don't know much about Skiles!

Thank the Maker that we have a great coach that will be here next year...
    :thepacers
    No Linking to your own site if it sells something.

woman without a team

I have a question: If there's a lockout and they don't play next season at all does that count as a year on a coach's contract?

I assume if it counts as a year on a player's contract, then it would for a coach's as well.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

woman without a team

Yes, but when I asked the All Seeing, All Knowing Kegboy if coaches still got paid during a lockout he said yes. The players don't.

Quote Originally Posted by grace
    Yes, but when I asked the All Seeing, All Knowing Kegboy if coaches still got paid during a lockout he said yes. The players don't.
    Right, because coaches aren't in the player's union.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    Right, because coaches aren't in the player's union.
    You know, come to think of it, that's the same thing Kegboy said.