Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A small glimmer of hope?

Default Re: A small glimmer of hope?

I envy those that are OK with mediocrity I really do, I wish I was happy about been the 7th/8th seed for few years and be happy that some day we are going to get the EFC and maybe if all the stars align get to the finals and maybe that team out of the West got all their stars injured and the miracle happens.

Not rooting for mediocrity is a very hard thing to do.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    some day we are going to get the EFC
    We just got there in 2013 AND 2014. Unless you think we should have gotten there in 2015 when Paul was injured I'm not sure why a couple of down years is making you despair for the future of a franchise that has to wait years and years and years for any shot at being a good team because the players are all so horrible so we need to tank for a decade in order to get a shot at being a conference finals team.

I'd ask why it is so much easier to cheer for a team that is incredibly bad than one that manages to get close to the top on a consistent basis, but then I remember your penchant for schadenfreude.
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    We just got there in 2013 AND 2014. Unless you think we should have gotten there in 2015 when Paul was injured I'm not sure why a couple of down years is making you despair for the future of a franchise that has to wait years and years and years for any shot at being a good team because the players are all so horrible so we need to tank for a decade in order to get a shot at being a conference finals team.

I'd ask why it is so much easier to cheer for a team that is incredibly bad than one that manages to get close to the top on a consistent basis, but then I remember your penchant for schadenfreude.

Twice in like 10 years? again I envy you really.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Twice in like 10 years? again I envy you really.
    Oh, we sucked during the JOB years. No question about that whatsoever. Teams do suck from time to time. I'm not sure what the discussion we're having now has to do with the team sucking due to bad coach and crappy supporting cast, except perhaps that I prefer that kind of thing to be an accident rather than a deliberate strategy. Seems like you'd rather see a team like we were from the brawl until Vogel on a regular basis.
    BillS

Oh, we sucked during the JOB years. No question about that whatsoever. Teams do suck from time to time. I'm not sure what the discussion we're having now has to do with the team sucking due to bad coach and crappy supporting cast, except perhaps that I prefer that kind of thing to be an accident rather than a deliberate strategy. Seems like you'd rather see a team like we were from the brawl until Vogel on a regular basis.
    That's actually what I'm trying to avoid with my strategy, your strategy is very close to those years after the brawl with maybe a little more "winning" but that's it.

That's actually what I'm trying to avoid with my strategy, your strategy is very close to those years after the brawl with maybe a little more "winning" but that's it.
    I thought your strategy was that any year you aren't guaranteed to get into the ECF you blow it all up and try for a top-3 draft pick. That sounds an awful lot like being a crappy team for a decade but on purpose.
    BillS

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

I thought your strategy was that any year you aren't guaranteed to get into the ECF you blow it all up and try for a top-3 draft pick. That sounds an awful lot like being a crappy team for a decade but on purpose.
    Nope that's not it.

You have to be mediocre before you can be great. The only teams that go from crappy to great immediately signed Lebron James.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    You have to be mediocre before you can be great. The only teams that go from crappy to great immediately signed Lebron James.

True and I'm ok with that, I'm not OK with been mediocre for life because I'm hoping that some day (twice in 10 years) I can get to the ECF's (in a **** conference) so I can say "see? we got to the EFC twice, thank god we didn't blow it up".

I envy those that are OK with mediocrity I really do, I wish I was happy about been the 7th/8th seed for few years and be happy that some day we are going to get the EFC and maybe if all the stars align get to the finals and maybe that team out of the West got all their stars injured and the miracle happens.

Not rooting for mediocrity is a very hard thing to do.
    I'm not happy with mediocrity. I want a chip, and I believe staying competitive is the best way to get a chip.

Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    I'm not happy with mediocrity. I want a chip, and I believe staying competitive is the best way to get a chip.
    I think you can stay competitive and rebuild at the same time.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

I think you can stay competitive and rebuild at the same time.
    I agree, so what's the problem?

Just remember something if Paul gets traded. The same front office that failed to build around him properly? Will quickly become a problem for the new players that land here. Which means they will already have one foot out the door. Thus we would have gotten nothing for Paul George. Because the new arrivals will see a lazy front office wasting their prime years, and will exit first chance they get.