Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A draft question about position....

Default Re: A draft question about position....

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    with our complete roster in tact next year....he turns into the bald darko...
    Austin dresses better, which is crucial to being a successful IR player.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

May's size is problematic. I just look at his Dad as the right way to think about these post players that can dominate in college but will be undersized in the pros. Waymon Tisdale is another fine example. Both Scott and Tisdale were #2 picks, and that was the mistake - they couldn't live up to those expectations. But both of them had fine careers and would've been good compliments/ sixth-men to have on contending teams.

I'd never ask for May to really seriously threaten to take JO's spot, but clearly May's more than just a big boy, the way he dominated the Final Four has to mean something.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by BillS
    Thinking more about it, what Atlanta really needs is a veteran locker room leader, and AJ might just fit the bill there.
    Isn't our team going to need a vet. locker room leader as well? Unless there is a Parker/Udrih sleeper out there that can step in and play now, then I would go with the BPA option, preferably a big.

foretaz, you keep stating that we shouldn't project a player's play next season based on this year, Tinsley's injury bug in this case. If you don't evaluate a play based on performance, what do you use? As it was debated in another thread, Tins does have a history of injuries late in the season. I don't think we should dump AJ until we are sure we have a better option. Of course, I don't get paid the big bucks to do that, so i will leave it to DW & LB. I will still debate it though.

Byt the way foretaz, I have no problem with your font or color scheme.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    Austin dresses better, which is crucial to being a successful IR player.
    Preach to the choir, brudda.

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen
    Isn't our team going to need a vet. locker room leader as well? Unless there is a Parker/Udrih sleeper out there that can step in and play now, then I would go with the BPA option, preferably a big.

foretaz, you keep stating that we shouldn't project a player's play next season based on this year, Tinsley's injury bug in this case. If you don't evaluate a play based on performance, what do you use? As it was debated in another thread, Tins does have a history of injuries late in the season. I don't think we should dump AJ until we are sure we have a better option. Of course, I don't get paid the big bucks to do that, so i will leave it to DW & LB. I will still debate it though.

Byt the way foretaz, I have no problem with your font or color scheme.
    im not sure if i KEEP stating about not using last year....what i meant, if i wasnt clear....is last season isnt a real good barometer to use-especially for injuries....players played abnormal minutes all year-minutes that in most cases they wont see ever again...so its not the best judge...and why this is especially the case where injuries are concerned well....review our injury situation this past year....almost everyone had injuries...far more than normal...we started out the season that way-shorthanded with reggie, aj, jermaine, jeff, pollard and bender all out to begin the season and then 9 games in we have all the suspensions as well....

just not a real good barometer in my estimation....

as far as tinsley goes...two seasons ago he got dinged in the ECF....does that make him prone??? i dont think so...that can happen anytime....the timing of it stunk...this season was a different story...it was hardly the end of the season but at the same time, as we just got through discussing this year is not a good barometer....tinsley played a huge amount of minutes when he probably shouldnt have even been playing anyway....that was the other thing that lead to more injuries....players coming back to soon because they were needed so desperately....so i think its a bit premature to say tins is injury prone....bender is injury prone...tins is no bender in that regard

as far as trading aj goes....of course i dont think we should just trade him without a replacement....as ive clearly stated...i think we should upgrade at his position-backup pg....hes more than likely never gonna have higher trade value and upgrading a backup position is a bit easier than a starting one....by doing this we could decrease tins minutes thereby allowing him to be a bit more fresh if indeed he does have any issues such as some of u believe....and a better backup if he is lost for a long period like some of u might be afraid of....

Jay -

With all the Euros declaring, as well as a number of underclassmen and high school players, I would guess that May would be available. I don't pretend to be very knowledgeable regarding NCAA players, but I did watch the finals and a few NC games this year.

I think foretaz stated it very well. May's bulk and strength served him very well in college, but unless he's the anomoly (Barkley, Artest) as a pro, I think that he'll just be another over-weight 'tweener that is outsized and maybe a little slow in the paint.

Although perhaps a sentimental favorite to draft, a la Alford, I just don't think he adequately fulfills the pressing need we have for next season.

I've identified what I believe is the most pressing need and that is a PF / C with the ability to hit the 10-12 foot jumper. If we could find a starter with that ability, I think that would be enough to put us over the top. But we definitely need another short range scoring big man to work next to JO to make the offense click better.

If we can't get a starter, then we need someone that we can work into the lineup with JO 15-20 minutes per game. And yes, Harrison could very easily develop into that man, maybe even during the coming season. But I think we need to take the steps necessary to assure that we have that skill on the roster, even if it means acquiring one before the trade deadline.

Decent big men usually disappear well before pick #17. We were very, very fortunate to get a prospect like Harrison as low as we picked last year.

If anything, I believe we may be able to get our hands on a really decent guard. But I don't know whether he will be a shooter or a lock-down defender. I really don't see us getting a backup PG, because I consider AJ to be one of the best. And if we wanted an immediate replacement for Tinsley, it would be via trade and not through the draft.

If I were pressed, I'd probably guess that we will somehow trade the pick. If not, we we'll take a guard. I think that the big men we acquire will be done via trade to exchange some frontcourt players... we have too many PFs and Cs to just pick up one more in the draft.