Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A draft question about position....

Default A draft question about position....

No, not about what position we draft at.

This question is about what position would you like to see the Pacers improve at.

For the sake of this question we will assume one thing.

1. Whoever we draft will not start.

So since this person will be a bench player & I'm not really concerened with who is out there I just wanna know.

What position would you like to see the Pacers draft at?

Backup point, shooting, small, power or center?

Which spot do you think we are weakest at on the bench?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Default Re: A draft question about position....

Whichever position allows us to move Bender?

You didn't say we had to keep the pick.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Scoring Tweener/Power Forward.

Cro doesn't fit, Bender is broke, Foster aint ever going to be a scorer.

I'd prefer they did the trade Bender for expiring contracts and then trade them on for a solid vet at the deadline method.

We need a back-up PF who can score, if we are looking at the short term.

I'd rather we just pick the best available, though.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I can't imagine we keep the pick. Any player falling to 17 would be stuck so far down the depth charts with our current system it would be a waste of money.

At 17 you almost have to take the best player available over 'need' IMHO. And with that in mind: see above.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Unless a trade is made I would say we are drafting for third string. Lets see, we have in no particular order,

PF] JO, Foster, Cro, Dale, Bender

C] Foster, Dale, Harrison, JO, Cro, Edwards

SF] Ron, JJ, Jax, Fred

SG] Jax, Fred, AJ, JJ

PG] Tins, AJ, Fred, Gill

I would take the best player available. But that's subjective, so I would take the best shooter of the best available players. Of course that's subjective also. (grin)

In my opinion we need a PF, certainly wont play much if at all, but it is the position we are "weakest" as far as debt goes, PG we have Tins/AJ/Gill?/Fred (some) SG/SF we have a plethora of people with JJ looking where to find meaningfull minutes, at C we have several people who can play the position that (if it works out) Hulk will take for years to come with Jeff for now and DD as well as Polly to help out, but at PF (certainly one that can score) we are very thin with Cro as "only" scoring option.

P.S. I am not counting on the existence of Bender, if he does, it would still be a safe bet to have one extra that does not get hurt during cross winds of over 2" p/minute.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't imagine we keep the pick. Any player falling to 17 would be stuck so far down the depth charts with our current system it would be a waste of money.

At 17 you almost have to take the best player available over 'need' IMHO. And with that in mind: see above.

-Bball

So a 17th pick will be less than a David Harrison in talent/ability? Yes, David fell in the charts last year...who says it couldn't happen again? Rebounding Center......and I mean in the mold of a Dale Davis not the Jeff Foster type. I want the next Ben Wallace.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

The basketball Gods COULD be smiling on you this year.

Remember I said "could." Well, actually I said, "COULD" but anyway.

Two players you have to look at IMO if they're there are Wayne Simien and Chris Taft.

If it wasn't for Simien's troubles with his shoulder he's a top ten pick and he has just about everything you want in a PF. He's strong as a bull, he has a bunch of post moves, he can hit the jumper from 15-18 feet and he'll probably be the best rebounder to come out of this draft - if he stays healthy and his shoulder quits popping out. I'm no Dr. and don't know the prognosis on something like that.

Taft's a top-3 pick except he's lazy. But if anything would motivate him, getting picked 17th might. I haven't wanted the Knicks to take him at any point. Picking 8th means there are guys with a bunch of talent and motivation around. Picking 17's another story - at some point in the draft you look at Taft's ability if he gets his head out of his @ss and compare it to who else is left.

And IMO what you need is a physical power player up front. DD and Pollard are the only big men who really like to knock bodies around (Harrison maybe too) and one of those guys is old and the other's crippled. Either of those two guys would be great picks. They have some holes - injury and mental - but the payoff could be absolutely huge. And if it isn't - so what?
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I'm torn between a backup poiont guard or a backup power forard who can score.

I have no problem with AJ, but if the Pacers could find a point guard who could be there to help when/if Tinsley gets injured

But the Pacers need someone who can come off the bench when the coaching staf feels the need to go small, someone who can score and allow J.O to move to center

foretaz

at this point id probably prefer to get rid of the pick as a couple have mentioned....i just cant see a scenario where whoever we get will get any playing time whatsoever...

sell it to cleveland for 3 million....

package it with aj and get an upgrade at the backup pg position...

sacramento has been mentioned as a trading partner in other deals...wonder if they would have any interest in aj and the pick for b. jackson? he seems to an injury magnet but i would love to see him as the backup pg-think it would definitely be an upgrade...

i agree with what most everyone has posted in this thread....is it possible for everyone to be right? kinda kewel...

i think we are deepest at the center position while it also is are least talented position....however finding talent at that position is damn near impossible which is why we are so deep there...quantity is a good substitution for quality at that slot...

i think our two best players are at the forward slots....though im much more excited about jj(if we are able to resign him) and even jax backing up ron at the three than our backup situation at the 4-though, as i mentioned we have a lot of big players so between austin and those guys something can be worked out....

the point guard just strikes me as being upgradeable the easiest....we dont need gill....a player of gills ability can be picked up at any time....let f. jones be the emergency backup #3 point guard....if one of the top 2 goes down then u can go out and get an eddie gill type(even probably eddie if u wanted) on an as-needed basis....

however, i go back to my original point...upgrading the backup pg slot would be highly beneficial....would jarret jack do that by picking in him the draft....i kinda have my doubts, especially given ricks attitude towards playing young guys-especially a rookie point guard....which brings me back full circle to packaging the pick with aj and getting an upgrade.....

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Unfortunately, a center with anything approaching decent skills will not fall to 17.

Ignoring that, we need someone to develop into a strong big center. If Harrison doesn't pan out, we have a replacement. If Harrison does pan out, we have trade material.

I don't want to draft another PG. I'd rather trade for one so we know what we're getting.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    I'm torn between a backup poiont guard or a backup power forard who can score.

I have no problem with AJ, but if the Pacers could find a point guard who could be there to help when/if Tinsley gets injured

But the Pacers need someone who can come off the bench when the coaching staf feels the need to go small, someone who can score and allow J.O to move to center
    i still wanna see how this lineup would perform as a small lineup....

jo, artest, jj, jax and tins

The Pacers could go any mumber of directions. I see the center spot as least likely to be upgraded in this draft. With that in mind I believe pf is easiest to
    upgrade with May, Simien and Diogu. In the second Bass would even be an upgrade if available at 47. Point guard is next with Jack and Roko probably
    available. Shooting guard Webster may be available at 17. Possibly the pick could be traded for a unprotected first next year and then go after
    Shelden Williams or a 1 to 1000 shot at the LN center.

owl

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by owl
    The Pacers could go any mumber of directions. I see the center spot as least likely to be upgraded in this draft. With that in mind I believe pf is easiest to
    upgrade with May, Simien and Diogu. In the second Bass would even be an upgrade if available at 47. Point guard is next with Jack and Roko probably
    available. Shooting guard Webster may be available at 17. Possibly the pick could be traded for a unprotected first next year and then go after
    Shelden Williams or a 1 to 1000 shot at the LN center.

owl
    i like this idea owl....package this years first and next years first to a team like atlanta....give em aj too...they need a decent veteran point guard especially if they draft paul....

of course the odds of atlanta doing this is probably slim to none....but nevertheless...if there would be a way to package this years pick and next years pick for a pick from one of the projected top 5 or 6 lottery teams in next year's draft....then have at it....

There are some dark horses in this draft that I would watch closely.
    Travis Diener, Brandon Bass and Jason Maxiell.
    I watched Diener a few times last year and I really like his shooting but more
    importantly he has the passing ability that cannot be taught. He has a
    high IQ for the game.

owl

I think this team really only needs a shooter, but I don't think the draft is the answer for that.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I almost hate to say it, but I'd like to see a PROJECT at PG or PF. Not necessarily a scorer (although that would clearly be nice), but someone who can be in the process of being groomed to take over when the time comes. This seems like a perfect time to start finding those replacements for when trades or time take players away.

Of course, with free agency this may be an outdated way of looking at things, but its just my two cents.
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    i like this idea owl....package this years first and next years first to a team like atlanta....give em aj too...they need a decent veteran point guard especially if they draft paul....

of course the odds of atlanta doing this is probably slim to none....but nevertheless...if there would be a way to package this years pick and next years pick for a pick from one of the projected top 5 or 6 lottery teams in next year's draft....then have at it....
    Actually, Atlanta really would like to have another first round pick this year, so (depending on the package) this could be on the fuzzy side of doable.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by BillS
    Actually, Atlanta really would like to have another first round pick this year, so (depending on the package) this could be on the fuzzy side of doable.
    i was kinda thinking that as well, given their obvious lack of bodies....thats why i mentioned them by name....though im still not sure if aj and effectively a second rounder next year are enuff of an enticement to lose what almost certainly will be another great pick....

i would realllllly like to see something like that....the odds of us ever having a decent draft pick over the next few years are slim.....and while im not so sure oden will even be in the draft(ie. age limit, college, etc) it certainly would be worth it..as i tend to think we need to do some contraction of the roster and signing another 1st round pick to a guaranteed contract that isnt gonna amount to much just doesnt make sense.....

hey larry....if ur listening....pick up the phone and give our old buddy Billy Knight a call....i think AJ would be a decent fit there-thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    hey larry....if ur listening....pick up the phone and give our old buddy Billy Knight a call....i think AJ would be a decent fit there-thoughts?
    Thinking more about it, what Atlanta really needs is a veteran locker room leader, and AJ might just fit the bill there.

And even if next years' first rounder was protected, I might be persuaded that taking Childress or Smith would be a good thing, seeing as we are talking about a need for guards.
    BillS

Scoring PF, all the way.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Ehmmm... I like the idea of acquiring that lottery pick Owl and Foretaz, but there's one problem I see with that ... WHO is going to replace AJ THIS YEAR? .

We are likely to spent a lot if not all of our MLE on DD and/or JJ this summer, so what do we do this summer to get an AJ replacement? A replacement which would probably be much needed giving Tins injury history and the (relatively) limited minutes he makes.

Sorry, I liked your first idea of constructing a package of our #17 pick and another (backup) player and trying to lure a quality backup PG that gets as close to or already is a starting PG.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Forgive me if there's some subtlety here that I'm not getting but are there people in the world who actually think Atlanta would give up a 1st rd draft pick for Anthony Johnson?
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    Forgive me if there's some subtlety here that I'm not getting but are there people in the world who actually think Atlanta would give up a 1st rd draft pick for Anthony Johnson?
    actually u might have missed part of it....the idea was to trade our first round pick this year and our first round pick next year in addition to aj for atlantas 1st round pick next year...

so basically we swap places with atlanta next year and for that they get aj and our number 17 pick this year...as i said earlier...i doubt they would do it...but hey...

the only possible rationale atlanta might have for doing it( i always hate this type of thought-where im telling someone else why they should do what i want them to do) is they are short on bodies....they dont have many decent players under contract let alone a veteran point guard....they appear to be going to draft a point guard of the future so in that case their might be a case made for aj being a decent guy to have around....

like i said...if im billy knight...i probably dont do it....but it cant be the most ridiculous trade ever discussed on a message board..