Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BI: Millenials are killing chains like Buffalo Wild Wings and Applebee's

Default BI: Millenials are killing chains like Buffalo Wild Wings and Applebee's

Casual dining is in danger — and millennials are to blame.

Brands such as TGI Fridays, Ruby Tuesday, and Applebee's have faced sales slumps and dozens of restaurant closures, as casual dining chains have struggled to attract customers and grow sales.

"Casual-dining restaurants face a uniquely challenging market today," Buffalo Wild Wings CEO Sally Smith recently wrote in a letter to shareholders.

According to Smith, these sit-down restaurants' struggles can blamed on the most-frequently besmirched generation: millennials.

"Millennial consumers are more attracted than their elders to cooking at home, ordering delivery from restaurants and eating quickly, in fast-casual or quick-serve restaurants," Smith wrote.

While blaming millennials has become a trend to the point of cliche in retail, Smith isn't wrong to zero in on younger customers' changing tastes as a major factor in casual dining's downfall.

"Now, there's many, many options that people are replacing chains with," Victor Fernandez, restaurant industry tracker TDn2K's executive director of insights, recently told Business Insider.

Many of these options involve cooking at home. Grocery chains are increasingly competing with restaurants, thanks to lower prices and perks such as pick-up and delivery, new technology, and trendy features like wine bars and to-go meals. Plus, meal delivery kits such as Blue Apron are focused on getting millennials on a subscription plan that will convince them to stay in and cook a certain number of days a week.

Convenience is also a factor, both when it comes to delivery and speed of service. And casual dining chains are still playing catch-up with regards to delivery.

"The only part of casual dining that’s growing right now is the off premise side," said Bonnie Riggs, foodservice industry analyst for NPD, recently told Nation's Restaurant News.

Cheesecake Factory announced earlier this year it is expanding delivery to half of its 194 US locations through DoorDash, a third party delivery service. T.G.I. Fridays, Chili's, and Maggiano's are all now on Grubhub, and Buffalo Wild Wings and Red Robin are testing the service. Outback Steakhouse is using both third-party services and building its own delivery service.

While delivery is clearly a compelling option to offer, it isn't a simple service for restaurants to add. Customers often spend less when ordering delivery, especially at casual dining chains that rely on alcohol orders to drive sales. In-house delivery means added complexities, paying drivers, and additional insurance costs. Using a third-party means losing control over the food's quality.

Then, there are the more convenient chains that have drawn millennial customers away from casual dining options.

The growth of fast-casual chains such as Chipotle and Panera have been especially harmful. These chains manage to bring both convenience and lower prices to millennial customers, who are less enthused about spending more money just for the "experience" of sitting in a booth at a casual dining joint.

The fast-casual industry grew by 550% from 1999 to 2014, The Washington Post reported. By 2020, the fast-casual market in the US is expected to reach $66.9 billion, according to the market-research company Technavio.

"They have more of a healthy perception, there's quicker service times," Wedbush analyst Colin Radke told Business Insider in March. "The healthiness and the speed of service — that's been taking market share from casual dining."

Specific trends aside, when Smith says that millennials tastes differ from what casual dining chains can offer, she's avoiding a more blunt statement: that casual dining brands just aren't cool any more.

"When you look at the alternatives out there in the marketplace today and who's creating buzz and creating excitement, it's gone away from chain casual dining," John Antioco, TGI Fridays CEO who is attempting to rebrand the chain as a gastropub, told Business Insider.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/mille...aurants-2017-5

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: BI: Millenials are killing chains like Buffalo Wild Wings and Applebee's

TGI Friday's, Ruby Tuesday and Applebees are the holy trinity of ****** restaurant food. Maybe stop blaming your customers for not wanting to eat it?

McDonald's is hemorrhaging money too.Crappy fast food is hurting just as much. This is a really stupid article.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Default Re: BI: Millenials are killing chains like Buffalo Wild Wings and Applebee's

I think a couple things are missed in that article.

Millennials are perhaps a bit more careful with their dollars than the previous couple of generations were. At least that is part of what I have seen.

Pricing also has to do with it. Not so much the meals, but if a couple wants some wine to go with their meals, the pricing at many places is flat outrageous. From all my years in the business (been retired now for about three years, after close to fifty years in hotel-restaurant-bar) I never could fathom charging as much as some of our competitors did for wine. Just goofy.

Now, to another part of the equation. The number of available choices of where to dine. Just considering the number of chains who represent that middle ground between fast-food and fine dining, there has been an absolute population explosion. TGI Friday's, Chili's, Applebee's, Outback, BWW's, an on an on.

I would recommend that the business has either over-built, or maybe more appropriately, under-demolished. These chains have grossly over-estimated the demand for their services in terms of the total number of outlets.

I will also say that, at least in the Nashville, Bloomington, Columbus areas, the stand alones who have a solid history and reputation for quality, service and value of the customer are doing better than the chains. Long built and hard worked for reputations, and traditions are much better than "planned reputations and traditions" conjured up by someone in a PR department. There is just no uniqueness to most of them. The cookie-cutter broke long ago. Some are just now realizing it.
    Last edited by Tom White; 06-04-2017 at 04:38 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sound legitimate to me, I never go to any of those restaurants.

My wife and I rarely eat out - we like cooking together and talking about our days while doing so. We both work hard all day, frankly the last thing we want to do after work is go to a mediocre restaurant when we ca make something better at home with Blue Apron or one of my grandma's recipes. If we do spend money and time eating out it will be something unique and local, not a chain. Chain restaurants are only handy when I take picky relatives out to eat.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Even a moderately sized big city like Indianapolis has a wonderful array of unique local restaurants. Indy has fabulous ethnic food selection (Ethiopian, Thai, Greek, etc) that can stack up against almost any city in the country. It's tough to want to go to Applebee's after eating there.

Then you have stuff like Blue Apron and Home Chef which have exploded out of nowhere. They aren't cheap, but they're relatively healthy and it's fun to cook the stuff. Plus they give you ideas that you would have never come up with on your own.

I got my first grill recently. I'm not dying to go to a Ruby Tuesday when it's pretty easy to make stuff on the grill that tastes way better.

I did notice that a Ruby Tuesday's near me recently closed.....

I think Buffalo Wild Wings is great, but it is really expensive. If a couple goes there and gets food and drinks, they're walking away with a mammoth sized bill. It's a bad sign when a place doesn't list their drink prices.

I do go to BW's for lunch sometimes. Otherwise I avoid all 3 like the plague. Generally those restaurants are over-priced and not much better than the higher end fast food places like Arby's...but you are paying double.

As for millenials killing chains like that, the fact is that business isn't handing out pensions and fat benefit packages anymore. I don't blame millenials for not having a fat wallet to waste on that over-priced food. They are still paying their college tuition, often working at Applebees.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

I remember when B-Dubs was first blowing up nationally when i was in high school 02-06 and if you compare their quality then to their quality now it is like day and night.

10 years ago they had good chicken and the wings were always hot and actually tasted fresh. Now if you go you're likely going to get 3-4 wings that are basically inedible or just flat out gross. Especially their boneless wings will just have a ton of cartilage in them and often have a funky not fresh taste. I still occasionally crave their sauces, but that's about it whereas in high school I'd eat their once a week for lunch and not really feel like I was slumming it.

Places like Applebee's and Friday's haven't re-branded in like 25 years. They've just grown and shrunk their menus seemingly endless amounts of times while still charging 15 dollars for a steak I would probably only feed my dog. Meanwhile I can go to the local butcher shop in Carmel and for 30 bucks I can get two ribeyes that are top tier steakhouse quality and grill them myself and do a much better job than some line cook making 10 bucks an hour. I ate at Applebee's a lot growing up with family probably cause there were 4 of them on the northside you could get to pretty easily and at that time (early 90's) Carmel, Fishers, Westfield, etc were still pretty much a local food desert so I'm not a food snob really, it's just that these places are basically the same now as they were then and they've been totally out paced by the local food game.

The explosion of local places over the past decade has absolutely buried these places both in service and food quality/consistency. Plus local places have a lot more freedom to play with their menu and put new things on to keep their spots fresh and different.

Which brings me to my last point....the internet. Chain restaurants blew up in the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's for one reason...you could eat at a McD's, Applebee's, Friday's etc in Chicago one night and then be in Phoenix the next night and it'd be the same menu and in theory the same quality food. It took a lot of risk and decision making out of finding a place to eat in a spot you were unfamiliar with. No more rolling the dice hoping the local diner/slop shop was any good because you could just go to a national place. The internet though has taken a lot of the uncertainty out of finding a local place to grub at. You can get on Yelp, Twitter, Google and in less than 10 minutes you can read 100 reviews on just about any place and decide if you want to eat there. Now the chains having the exact same menu everywhere actually hurts them because they don't get any bump in touristy spots anymore because you can easily find 5-6 great local places to eat at before you even land for your trip just by spending 30 minutes on the internet.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 06-04-2017 at 06:30 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I never liked Buffalo Wild Wings wings I always thought they were overrated.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

I bet shows like Bizarre foods and things like that have also done it, every time I watch that show I want to eat some crazy **** lol
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I bet shows like Bizarre foods and things like that have also done it, every time I watch that show I want to eat some crazy **** lol
    Yeah again internet. Think about how easy it is now to track what you see on a food show for future reference when you're traveling.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

IMO if it was the head of say Applebee's I'd dive back into the whole "Eating good in the neighborhood" thing. I'd trim my number of locations and I'd source locally. I'd do a regional menu for each chain and put a team in charge of each region who's job it is to basically ensure locally sourced a grub and a small diverse menu that speaks to local tastes. It's honestly kind of amazing Applebee's hasn't done this considering they've been sitting on that slogan forever and now is the perfect time to push local and neighborhood grub.

It'd be more expensive, but it's a lot better than going out of business.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Yeah again internet. Think about how easy it is now to track what you see on a food show for future reference when you're traveling.
    Exactly. My best friend (who still lives in Indy) and I do one or two guys trips every year where we meet up in a different city and hang out for a few days. In a world with Yelp we are always able to seek out the best local places. No way we're eating at a chain once we're outside the airport.

Even my little Indiana hometown has a couple of restaurants now that are family owned and are doing good business because they tout that they source local products and have seasonal menus. These big chains are gonna have to find a way to adapt. I understand having a core national menu, but do a local menu for each region of the country and try to source some local products. The second half of the 20th century saw the increasing homogenization of American culture, you are seeing a pushback against that socially, politically, and culturally now.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

If you live in Indy, there is no reason to ever go to a place like Applebees. So many better choices. Even in the 'burbs there are better places to eat. Fresher and better tasting food is really everywhere. I live minutes from an Applebees and have never eaten there willingly...
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    If you live in Indy, there is no reason to ever go to a place like Applebees. So many better choices. Even in the 'burbs there are better places to eat. Fresher and better tasting food is really everywhere. I live minutes from an Applebees and have never eaten there willingly...
    I did but it was when I first arrived at Purdue and well there was nowhere else to go. It wasn't impressive even then I doubt much has changed.

Food doesn't really taste as good as it used to either and its noticeable to me at least. Which is probably a good thing to consume less.

You can also get a Chipotle so fast and easy, or some sushi place.

Call me crazy but cooking at home is the best I love cooking at home, it's cheaper, healthy and you get to spend time with your people.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Prices keep going up and places like that you're pretty much "required" to tip 15-20% unless you want to feel bad. Hell even fast food places are starting to ask for tips when paying with a debit/credit card it's insane. You feel bad for the employees cause they probably don't get paid much without tips, but tipping has gotten out of hand.

Love Chipotle and a couple other places, but I've even torn myself away from like Pizza Hut/Dominos/other chain regular pizza places in favor of places like Mod Pizza (hell I don't know what's open in Indiana really) where I can get an individual size pizza + drink for lunch and have it cooked in a few minutes. The McDonald's and other chains have to step up their game...the times I've been there a McDouble is not a dollar anymore and just about anything besides a large drink gets pricier now and the quality is so much less.

I've thought about Blue Apron but it seems a little pricey over just going to the grocery store. A lot of millennials in bigger cities don't drive though and that's where Blue Apron really thrives for those people, and you're starting to see more places offer delivery.
    Last edited by Cactus Jax; 06-05-2017 at 06:32 PM.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Die. Die. Die.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Die. Die. Die.
    Normally I would not hope this on a business. But I do hope that Applebees and Ruby Tuesday disappear. I think BW's is getting a bit of a bad rap here as some of their food is good and their lunch is fairly economical.

Bdubs is getting a bad rap simply cause they used to be a lot better IMO. They are also victims of the wing becoming something of a staple for any good gastro pub or place of that sort.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Bdubs is getting a bad rap simply cause they used to be a lot better IMO. They are also victims of the wing becoming something of a staple for any good gastro pub or place of that sort.
    And B-Dubs is pretty high price wise. Think of all the local places a couple can go for the price of two 10 piece wing orders with two sides and two alcoholic drinks each (which they don't even list the prices).

I think B-Dubs still tastes pretty good for a chain (compared to Applebee's and Tuesday especially), but there's just so much out there nowadays.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I'm not surprised these places are struggling, but I'm surprised at all of the empty high-quality places in Indy that can't reach half full on a weeknight. There have been a lot of downtown closings recently, from brand new restaurants to neighborhood staples. Even with a larger population, people are just staying in more.

I haven't spent any time in downtown Indy aside from a few Pacers games for several years, it sucks that downtown seems to be losing some of its luster.

I remember when Circle Center Mall first opened and how excited people were about downtown being revitalized. My grandma especially was thrilled with it because she remembered how underwhelming and polluted downtown was in the 50's and 60's and how it was pretty quiet and boring yet somewhat dangerous in the 80's and much of the 90's.

When I worked on Meridian Street a few blocks from the circle in 2004 things still seemed on an upward trend, but from I read online it has really gone downhill. I don't think I've been to Circle Center since 2011ish, it was starting to show a few signs even then of sagging a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    I haven't spent any time in downtown Indy aside from a few Pacers games for several years, it sucks that downtown seems to be losing some of its luster.

I remember when Circle Center Mall first opened and how excited people were about downtown being revitalized. My grandma especially was thrilled with it because she remembered how underwhelming and polluted downtown was in the 50's and 60's and how it was pretty quiet and boring yet somewhat dangerous in the 80's and much of the 90's.

When I worked on Meridian Street a few blocks from the circle in 2004 things still seemed on an upward trend, but from I read online it has really gone downhill. I don't think I've been to Circle Center since 2011ish, it was starting to show a few signs even then of sagging a bit.
    Whoa whoa downtown Indy is not losing it's luster at all. Circle Center is kind of a mess but the downtown as a whole is still on a major upward trend. A lot of surrounding neighborhoods are also being revitalized alongside it.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Circle Centre was always inevitably going to crumble when the luster wore off, in large part because of the superior Fashion Mall on the Northside. That being said, Downtown Indy is still full of great restaurants, hotels, awesome places to walk/bike, bars, and vibrant street life for a mid size big city. I've been to Downtown Dallas a couple times, and while I'm a big fan of the DFW Metroplex, Downtown Dallas itself is completely dull compared to Downtown Indy as far as restaurants and things to do.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Circle Centre was always inevitably going to crumble when the luster wore off, in large part because of the superior Fashion Mall on the Northside. That being said, Downtown Indy is still full of great restaurants, hotels, awesome places to walk/bike, bars, and vibrant street life for a mid size big city. I've been to Downtown Dallas a couple times, and while I'm a big fan of the DFW Metroplex, Downtown Dallas itself is completely dull compared to Downtown Indy as far as restaurants and things to do.
    Fashion Mall has a nice ambiance (and better parking) but its rather expensive I just go to the movie theater when I'm there more than shopping.