Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Shaq calls out Big Ben

http://www.freep.com/sports/pistons/heat3e_20050603.htm

Shaq to Ben: Show me your 'D'

O'Neal's quick start fuels Heat rout of Pistons

June 3, 2005

BY HELENE ST. JAMES
    FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

MIAMI -- The Pistons threw everyone they could at Shaquille O'Neal, but on a night like this, nothing short of David and a slingshot could have felled the Heat's Goliath.

UDONIS UP
    After contributing little in the first three games of the series, Heat forward Udonis Haslem has made a significant impact in the past two:
    FG FT REB PTS
    First 3 6-17 0-0 16 12
    Past 2 10-17 8-9 22 28
    Thursday 6-8 2-3 13 14

O'Neal swaggered into Game 5 and stomped on whichever Piston tried to guard him in the paint, and because he did so, every teammate benefited, and every Piston suffered. Two nights after his foul trouble derailed the Heat's hopes in Game 4, O'Neal's furious start -- he was 7-for-10 from the field with 15 points in the first half, all while playing on a bruised right thigh that's hobbled him since the start of the playoffs -- got Miami an 88-76 victory and a 3-2 series lead in the Eastern Conference finals.

After the game, O'Neal challenged the Pistons, especially Ben Wallace, to contain him.

"My thing is, if you're the Defensive Player of the Year, show me," O'Neal said. "Show me. That's my thing.

"They publicly said they're not going to double me, and they don't double me, so I'm just going to take the high-percentage shots. I just wish people would stand there and take it, instead of acting. Lot of acting going on."

O'Neal finished with 20 points on 9-for-15 shooting, and with five rebounds.

"I thought we did a good job on him after the first six, seven minutes of the game, but ... he's been huge," Detroit coach Larry Brown said. "He's been fantastic the whole series."

O'Neal's performance over 33 minutes allowed the Heat to play down the stretch without star guard Dwyane Wade, who suffered a strained rib muscle in the third quarter and left the game for good at 9:42 of the fourth quarter.

Early in the third quarter, O'Neal demonstrated what makes him so dangerous. Wade had the ball and was off balance and falling out of bounds, so he threw the ball into O'Neal's hands and O'Neal sprang up, even as he was draped by Detroit defenders, and stuffed the ball. Later he caught a running pass from Damon Jones and no human power could have stopped him from making the alley-oop dunk.

With O'Neal back in form, everything looked better. There was the guy known to everyone as "Big Fella" starting the game with a lay-up, and half a minute later, a dunk, and then another, followed by an eight-foot jumper. His dominance down low freed up teammates like Jones, who scored 15 points, and Udonis Haslem, who scored 14, and Rasual Butler, who scored 12.

O'Neal picked up a foul at 8:36, his second at 3:23 and went back to the bench for a breather. He returned just more than two minutes into the second quarter and continued to abuse the Pistons in the paint, scoring on a dunk and two of his trademark hook shots. His furious output allowed him to go back to the bench to rest, to gather strength, to let his teammates finish what he started.

"He got us off to a great start and that was key," Heat coach Stan Van Gundy said. "He was a big, big impact on the game."

Contact HELENE ST. JAMES at 313-222-2295 or stjames@freepress.com.

debohstheman

Default Re: Shaq calls out Big Ben

ha..thats hilarious. you got to love shaq

Finally someone calls out Ben's acting.
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

Harmonica

Ben is a drama queen.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

About three years ago I really admired Ben Wallace. Seemed like a player from the early 90's. I always thought that Ben was just the same as Dale, Oakley, Thorpe, Willis. But none of those players would have been flopping around when Iverson came up the lane. They'd a knocked Iverson down and told him not to come back.

Someone will come on here and say its just good defense. However IMO nearly all charges in the NBA are bad calls. Basically over the past few years I've lost most of my respect for Ben Wallace and it has nothing to do with the Brawl. Hell, his rebound numbers are questionable in my mind because I've seen on more than one occasion that he'll get credit for a rebound when he gets a loose ball tip. Or sometimes two rebounds when he tips it to himself, just like Dennis Rodman.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Ben Wallace is the most over rated player in the NBA

I laughed my *** off in 2004 when Artest got the DPOY award over him, because I knew some people were seeing that there are far better defenders than Ben out there.

People made such a big deal about JO's comments in the media, but you know what? Jo was right. Ben is an extremely weak 1 on 1 defender. JO has never had any trouble against Ben Wallace. It's Rasheed Wallace that can guard JO masterfully.

It's basically the same thing with Shaq. Shaq is hitting easy 5 or 6 footers on Ben Wallace. The time I've seen Sheed on Shaq this series, Sheed has done that "pulling the chair out" bit.

There were typical Ben Wallace flops last night. Ones where he gets nudged and lies on the floor like he is mortally wounded.

Shaq calling him out is hilarious.

I agree with Diamond Dave. Guys like Dale and Oakley wouldn't flop. They'd knock the hell out of you first.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerFanAdam
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I agree with Diamond Dave. Guys like Dale and Oakley wouldn't flop. They'd knock the hell out of you first.
    IMO this is why Dale kept getting in foul trouble during the Pistons series. He'd play Ben Wallace the same way he played Oakley in the 90's. However Ben didn't fight back, he just acted like Dale shot him with a canon.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    IMO this is why Dale kept getting in foul trouble during the Pistons series. He'd play Ben Wallace the same way he played Oakley in the 90's. However Ben didn't fight back, he just acted like Dale shot him with a canon.

Refs are much more cautious now, and buy into flops more than they did back in the 1990's.

The Ben Wallace of today wouldn't have lasted any time in the 1990's. Guys like Oakley and Dale in his prime would have ate him alive, because back then the refs weren't as quick to call ***** fouls like they do now. Early in his career, Ben was a nobody, he didn't flop as much because he wouldn't have got the calls.

A Piston fan can retaliate with this, that Reggie Miller is one of the biggest floppers in NBA history. I'd have to agree. Reggie's flopping was a tad different. Reggie was a guard. Ben is a big guy that acts like Allen Iverson can knock him flat to the ground. Everyone knows that Reggie Miller is a flopper. What ticks me off is how everyone acts like Ben is some super defender, but in reality, he is extremely weak 1 on 1, and his flops should be very easy to see through.

Mood

Agreed.

Plus the difference between a Reggie Miller flopping and a Ben Wallace is that Reggie was a skinny 2-guard. Ben tries to play up his "big strong man" tough-guy persona, but still flops like a *****.

Graywolf_59

Now if only the Zebra's and Pacer player's could learn how to do this in a Pi_on's/Pacer's game?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    Hell, his rebound numbers are questionable in my mind because I've seen on more than one occasion that he'll get credit for a rebound when he gets a loose ball tip. Or sometimes two rebounds when he tips it to himself, just like Dennis Rodman.

I question everything. Two years ago when I played fantasy basketball I was watching games and the official scorers were continuously scoring the games wrong. One game Elton Brand was shorted 4 rebounds and 2 blocks. I didn't make a mistake because I was paying particular attention to him because he was one of my players.

It turned me off on fantasy basketball because what good does it do to study the players and injury lists etc. when that happens. You might as well have a computer score the game.

You fantasy players, score the games yourselves for your players and you will see what I mean.

ImCrazyB

Big Ben is a great weak side defender..But like everyone has already stated..He is horrible one on one.

It's not his fault..He's playing out of position in my opinion. He's only what, 6'8? He may have big arm muscles but that does absolutely nothing when your guarding guys like shaq that have a 50+ pound advantage on you and a 4 inch advantage along with it.

He's an alright 1 on 1 defender to guys his size..average in the NBA. But any time someone has a body mismatch on him, he gets abused big time. The only reason he's DPOY is because he has the energy to grab rebounds and make blocks due to the fact he sucks so bad offensively.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen

You fantasy players, score the games yourselves for your players and you will see what I mean.
    There lies madness - no thanks.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Let's be realistic too - last season Shaq came up huge in the finals - whenever he had an extra day of rest. This year he's better conditioned but Ben couldn't stop him - nobody can. They beat the Lakers by making Shaq work, swarming Kobe, trying to contest the role players and hoping those guys didn't burn them. It worked.

The Heat have better role players and Wade's tougher for them to match up with than Kobe. Guys like Haslem and Damon Jones have stepped up while nobody did that for the Lakers last year.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Shaq is like the 12 y/o bully stating he can whip any 10 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan
    Shaq is like the 12 y/o bully stating he can whip any 10 year old.

Do you not agree what Ben is the posterboy of "tough defense"?

Ben is the reining DPOY. Shaq is telling the supposed best defender in the league that he isn't playing good defense. Because Shaq is dominating him, you use an analogy of him being a bully?

Who CAN guard Shaq one-on-one? Nobody, that's who. I remember when Portland traded for Dale Davis, specifically for that reason, and Shaq made Davis his personal ***** in the first round of the playoffs.

The players who guard Shaq the best are big guys with a lot of girth (Elden Campbell) or short bigs who are strong as hell (Anthony Mason). But nobody can stop Shaq. The reason Brown doesn't put Sheed on Shaq is because he needs him on the offensive end.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86

Ben is the reining DPOY. Shaq is telling the supposed best defender in the league that he isn't playing good defense. Because Shaq is dominating him, you use an analogy of him being a bully?

shaq outweighs ben by 100 lbs. He's TWICE his size.

yeah shaq, congratulations on being able to back down a player the size of the average power forward. Must make you feel like a big man.

FYI, ben's a speed defender, not a size defender. Put him on Amare Stoudemire, and he'd put the clamps on him. Hut Ben's speed is useless against shaq, because you can't out quick a guy 2 feet from the rim.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

3ptmiller

I think Shaq has some fear against Wallace or else he would not say something like this to the public...

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    shaq outweighs ben by 100 lbs. He's TWICE his size.

yeah shaq, congratulations on being able to back down a player the size of the average power forward. Must make you feel like a big man.

FYI, ben's a speed defender, not a size defender. Put him on Amare Stoudemire, and he'd put the clamps on him. Hut Ben's speed is useless against shaq, because you can't out quick a guy 2 feet from the rim.

You're point is? Obviously LB thinks that he's the best one to guard him. If Elden Campbell guards the best offensive player in the league better than Ben, then seems to me he needs to hand over the hardware........

FYI, I've been saying for the past 2yrs that I don't think Ben is a good one on one defender. He doesn't use on ball speed, he uses speed to get across the lane and getting off his feet.

But that's beside the point. Shaq is telling Ben to take it like a man and not flop, something you said you had no respect for when it obtained to Wade and his injury.......

Sports Logo

Let's not kid ourselves....whether we like it or not.....Ben Wallace is one of the best defensive players in the league. But I get this "I'm the best ***** in the world and you can't do anything about it" attitude from him ( which he has earned the right to do ) since the Pistons won it all last year.

I LOVE that Shaq ( the one guy that is one of the MOST dominant force of Nature in the NBA ) has called him out. Frankly....he's one of the only people in the entire league that can do it and back it up with his actions.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You're point is? Obviously LB thinks that he's the best one to guard him. If Elden Campbell guards the best offensive player in the league better than Ben, then seems to me he needs to hand over the hardware........
    Guess That means Ron's 2003 trophy was a fluke, too. I mean, Ron couldn't guard Rip Hamilton, and he's not even the best scorer at his own POSITION......

nothing like double standards, i guess.

But that's beside the point. Shaq is telling Ben to take it like a man and not flop, something you said you had no respect for when it obtained to Wade and his injury.......
    When Shaq shoves ben to the floor, thats not a flop. And don't even begin to tell me that ben's been flopping against shaq.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So you guys are saying that if it was Jeff or JO Shaq was plowing over to get to the basket they would just be flopping? Yeah right.

Guess That means Ron's 2003 trophy was a fluke, too. I mean, Ron couldn't guard Rip Hamilton, and he's not even the best scorer at his own POSITION......
    See that's where you and me are different. You make excuses for why Shaq is eating up Ben, while I just except the fact that some people have others numbers.

My post which you quote was more directed at labeling Shaq a "bully" because I don't know how you can bully the labeled best. That's like someone clobbering Tyson about 10yrs ago, and calling the other boxer a bully.

When Shaq shoves ben to the floor, thats not a flop. And don't even begin to tell me that ben's been floppign against shaq.
    Last night I watched Shaq turn and face only to have Ben scream and hit the floor. I admit I thought it was a foul, BEFORE I saw the replay from the baseline angle, which was right where the ref was standing. When Ben gets blown back by breeze, I call it a f-l-o-p.

EDIT: Obviously Shaq knows when people flop against him lot better than we do, considering he actually knows the amount of contact. I'll take him, which is actually playing, saying Ben is flopping than you, which is watching it on TV, saying he isn't.

Wink Re: Shaq calls out Big Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Since86

Yes he is the posterboy for tough D.

Shaq is 6" and 50+ lbs bigger.

I don't call him a bully because he's dominating a much smaller opponent.
    I call him a bully because he's a smug mouthed Ahole BRAGGING about how he's dominating a much smaller opponent.

Perhaps "Punk" would have been a better analogy.