View Poll Results: If Magic makes this offer to you TODAY: Clarkson + Randle + 28th pick + 2019 1st round pick for Paul

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Deal

11 16.92%
  • No Deal

54 83.08%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magic Johnson calls and makes this take-it-or-leave-it offer...What would you do?

Mood

Sports Logo

Default Magic Johnson calls and makes this take-it-or-leave-it offer...What would you do?

Jordan Clarkson + Julius Randle + 28th pick + 2019 1st round pick for Paul George. If this offer is on the table TODAY, what is your response?

Default Re: Magic Johnson calls and makes this take-it-or-leave-it offer...What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Ratking View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jordan Clarkson + Julius Randle + 28th pick + 2019 1st round pick for Paul George. If this offer is on the table TODAY, what is your response?

Not enough information to decide. If I can get another star to persuade PG to stay then no. If PG has made it known he is leaving regardless than sure, assuming there is not a better offer on the table. Pritchard has a tough next few weeks ahead.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Magic Johnson calls and makes this take-it-or-leave-it offer...What would you do?

No.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Heck no

Laugh and tell Magic to get serious

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd counter with Randle, Clarkson, and the #2 pick. If they refuse, the most I would do is add our #18 pick. I don't think that's completely unreasonable.

Mood

Sports Logo

I would be pleasantly surprised if we are offered anything better before PG walks next Summer. I really hope I am wrong. I know this is the most bitter pill to swallow, but this is the position Pritchard has been put in. How are we supposed to add pieces to convince PG to stay? What free agent in their right mind would sign with a team knowing their star player may leave in a year? We would need to get pretty lucky with finding a GM ignorant enough to take Ellis and/or Jefferson to make any sort of impactful acquisition anyway.

Also, what Western conference team is going to mortgage their future assets in the current NBA with a mega team like the Warriors reigning supreme for the next 5-6 years?

It's awful, but aside from adding Nance Jr., this will likely be the best offer the Lakers make all year, and no other team is going to offer better for a rental.

I hope I end up being wrong, and everyone can tell me I'm an idiot in a few weeks or in a year.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ratking For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

Also, this trade would put us in a strong position to acquire a top 4 pick in the next two drafts (i.e., tank), with the possibility that by 2019 the Lakers rebuild doesn't push them into a playoff seed in a very competitive conference (i.e., nullified pick depreciation), and in 2019 we end up with pick #1-4 + #11-14. Those are the kind of assets needed for a fast rebuild. Over the next two years, Turner develops unhindered as a go-to scorer and is surrounded by young prospects with room to develop.

As a small market team that boasts an aging David West as their best FA signing in history, this is unfortunately the best situation we can find ourselves in.

Or, we stubbornly ignore every sign that points to PG packing his bags next year, and get another #15-18 pick next year as our alimony.
    Last edited by Ratking; 06-02-2017 at 01:20 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ratking For This Useful Post:

Pretty sure Lakers can't trade the pick in 2019 since 2018 is unprotected to Philly now. Either way I turn this down. I'm game for trading PG, but even if he walks for nothing there isn't anything in this package I would look back and be regretful we missed out on.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wage For This Useful Post:

Lurker of the Year Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Gamble that the Lakers are trash next season and you can improve to at very least "East contender" status with another free agent pickup and Turner improvement/team continuity. Cleveland may dominate the East but after them it's completely wide open in my opinion, making the ECF is hardly out of the question if the seeding falls in your favor.

If you're second or third seed there's a good chance Paul makes ALL NBA. Then he's faced with leaving 70 million on the table to join a trash non-playoff Laker team in the impossible Western Conference.

I mean I'm all for considering the trade scenario if top 3 picks are on the table, but if the only offers you get are pu-pu platter types I see no reason not to try option 1 listed above.
    Last edited by Infinite MAN_force; 06-02-2017 at 03:30 PM.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Sports Logo

Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Yeah, this. Cap Space is better than Clarkson and Randle.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post
    Pretty sure Lakers can't trade the pick in 2019 since 2018 is unprotected to Philly now. Either way I turn this down. I'm game for trading PG, but even if he walks for nothing there isn't anything in this package I would look back and be regretful we missed out on.
    You're right, they can't trade their 2019 pick. unless they get another pick in 2018 or 2019.

I always thought the most the Lakers would give up for George is Clarkson, Ingram, Tarik Black, #28, 2020 2nd round pick, 2021 1st round draft pick (lottery protected for 3 years, turns into 2023 2nd round pick and $1 million cash if not conveyed). In addition, the Pacers would trade the Lakers Jefferson and Joe Young.

I don't buy that Ingram is untouchable.
    #DBAP

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    Yeah, this. Cap Space is better than Clarkson and Randle.
    Such an offer amounts to nothing more than a "Take these okay Young Players that aren't game changers for PG13" offer. I'd prefer one last "All In" run with PG13 and then re-tool in the Summer of 2018-2019 than take that mediocre offer.

I've talked to my Nephew about Randle ( whose a Laker fan ) and he says that Randle is garbage....or at least not some huge prospect that will change this Team around. Clarkson is a decent young SG....but same thing there...he's nothing special.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

I have tried hard to not get too interested in PG leaving the Pacers, butI keep getting dragged back into worrying. While I think it more likely PG wants to go to the Clippers given a choice, the Clips would need to strike quickly to give him time to fit in with the team.
    Do most of us have that sinking feeling that the Paul George era is coming to a halt either this year or next? Do we think Pritch and Bird? Can intice him to stay, make the all NBA team next year and cash in? Inquiring minds want to know!

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    I have tried hard to not get too interested in PG leaving the Pacers, butI keep getting dragged back into worrying. While I think it more likely PG wants to go to the Clippers given a choice, the Clips would need to strike quickly to give him time to fit in with the team.
    Do most of us have that sinking feeling that the Paul George era is coming to a halt either this year or next? Do we think Pritch and Bird? Can intice him to stay, make the all NBA team next year and cash in? Inquiring minds want to know!
    I think his head is elsewhere, and the Pacers can't put a team around him that competes. Boston can provide him that, and LAL at least gives him a location he desires. Other teams may enter the fray, but those two have the best chances. I think he says screw the whole winning thing if he can be in LA doing it. Just my take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell him not to waste my time again and hang up.
    Last edited by Pacerized; 06-02-2017 at 08:16 PM.
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

This is closer to George's trade value due to the constant Lakers rumors from his camp.

I doubt Indy trades him for that. They will just hold on and hope someone takes a risk and offers them more or pray for a magical season that convinces him to stay for less than the supermax - because even with All-NBA, KP doesn't believe Indy should tie up so much money on one player in a small market.

I would say no and call Boston or Philly
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Mood

Nope.

Mood

Sports Logo

Just the fact that the Love for George rumor is being discussed will greatly benefit the Pacers in terms of trade negotiations. If/when the Cavs lose in 4 or 5, it is a brilliant move by that franchise to offer Love for PG. The Lakers will then feel the pressure, because it is very reasonable that PG LOVES playing with Lebron/Kyrie/Thompson and having the only feasible chance threatening the Warriors and win a ring during his prime years and would want to stay. Thus, the Lakers will be offering way more than my proposed deal. Things may be looking up for us, relatively speaking.

Even a better move by the Pacers organization to claim we are going to try to convince him to stay (latest Lowe podcast). This is the perfect response to the poo poo negotiation position the media+PG put us in.

This might even get Boston baited into a bidding war. If he goes to the Cavs and stays, Boston's plans of taking over the East after LeBron's slow-down gets threatened; the two best players in the East would still be on the Cavs (PG and Kyrie). They may feel more inclined to offer the Brooklyn 2018 pick + Jaylen Brown + Marcus Smart to prevent that from happening, despite the rental risk.

I would see if the Cavs would trade Love+Felder+Future 1st Round pick(s).
    Last edited by Ratking; 06-07-2017 at 01:21 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Replace Clarkson with Russell and #28 with #2.
    Pacers fan since April 9th 2004 - New Jersey 80 Indiana 90.
    Visited Indianapolis from November 11-28th 2016, seeing eight Pacers games.
    Saw the Pacers in London, January 2017.

Mood

Sports Logo

*bump*

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Deal

Deal lol. I still think the lakers will be inclined to make a trade in order to have bird rights. **** PG