Thread: NBA Travelling rule

Default NBA Travelling rule

As a spectator who has been raised on a style of basketball much more closely modeled upon the FIBA ruleset, the more NBA games I see makes me wonder what exactly is the NBA travelling rule, specifically in relation to driving to the basket.

My understanding of the FIBA rule, is that you must dribble the ball before you raise your pivot foot upon starting a drive, and once you pick up the ball you can only have 2 steps before the shot, or one before a pass.

I'm aware that those numbers are increased in the nba to 3 steps before a shot and 2 before a pass (correct?), but are players are allowed to take a step before they dribble the ball? I was watching a Houston v Lakers game that I downloaded and some of the plays Mobley makes to the basket are just the most extreme travels under the rules that I am used to.

So, who can give me a definitive NBA travelling rule description?

Sports Logo

Default Re: NBA Travelling rule

There is no definitive way of it being called.

Had they called it as it is written in the 90's Jordan would have led the league in turnovers, and the Pacers would have had at least one more trip to the finals. Not to mention the Knicks long walk to the finals.

I don't know what the rule book says.

But in the NBA the refs generally look to see if the offensive player gains an advantage by traveling. If there is a wide open break away dunk for example and the offensive player takes an extra step the refs won't call that.

Refs seem to call it in certain situations. They always call it when the post player makes a spin move, if a player takes an extra half step in that situation it is called

Traveling? Eh, I thought they did away with that rule years ago...

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've never realized why the refs don't call traveling when it should be called. It's one of the easiest calls to make.

And don't get me started on that continuation crap. I hate that too.

I've always thought it's pretty simple and the same rule at all levels.

Whatever foot is on the floor when you complete your last dribble becomes your pivot foot. It cannot leave the floor and then come down again unless you release the ball. That means if your right foot was on the floor, you can take full step with your left but must shoot or pass by the time your right foot lands again.

Refs allow a "jump stop" which presumes that both feet left the floor on your last dribble and you can land both feet.

They sometimes allow an extra half-step. I'm not sure why or when it began.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't think there is a lot of traveling that is ignored. NBA players just have such long strides that it sometimes looks (at full speed) like they MUST have traveled.

College and high school refs call anything that looks a little odd to their eye "traveling".
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Refs allow a "jump stop" which presumes that both feet left the floor on your last dribble and you can land both feet.
    It still gets me that this isn't considered traveling. You go up with both feet and come back down, then are allowed to go back up again. Isn't this up-and-down?

It still gets me that this isn't considered traveling. You go up with both feet and come back down, then are allowed to go back up again. Isn't this up-and-down?
    I think it should be called traveling. With that out of the way, they seem to have "seperated" it from up-and-down by saying if you move somewhere else on the court with it, it's considered a legal hop. But if you jump in place up and down, that will be called traveling.

Travelling is a big gray area in the NBA.... you could call a travel on near every possession if you wanted....

Almost every sg & sf in the league gets away with it...reggie does it alot........specifically...I'm referring to when the ball gets passed out to the wing...the offensive player catches the ball and establishes the pivot foot when facing the basket.... more times than not the offensive player will either slyly shift/slide his established pivot foot... making it appear that the other foot is now... the pivot foot.... or he'll simply take the first step with the established pivot foot...

If your playing college ball either would be travelling... you can't switch your pivot feet nor take your intial step with the established pivot foot.

Post players always get away with switching pivot feet and other types of travelling-like violations....

Usually you can get away with some travelling...unless your gaining a blatant advantage.

The one that pisses me off is Jason Kidd...when he pushes(literally)the ball on the break.... he gets like 4 sometimes 5 of those choppy little steps between dribbles.... i guess that should be a carry...but still.