Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Larry, Michael, Bird, to pick olympic team.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Larry, Michael, Bird, to pick olympic team.

Quote Originally Posted by pacerwaala
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Isiah should be on that list when it comes to picking teams.
    LOL Why? So he can put a team with no salary cap over it?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm only going to disagree with two names out of everyone's list, because the olympics are more than just sports, and that's Rasheed Wallace and Ron Artest. When it comes to the NBA, they're really not viewed as representing a city, and I have a lot more wiggle room with certain guys. But when it comes to the olympics, there is no way in hell I want players that can explode at any give time. There's too much to risk in the eyes of the world to have two knuckleheads representing my country. My team yes, but not USA.....

Just my

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Considering that the stars usually turn down the offer to play, I think they should go with a majority blue collar team with no more than 4 All-Stars and 8 starter/solid role players.

Here's my team:

Allen Iverson
    Richard Hamilton
    Lebron James
    Kevin Garnett
    Amare Stoudamire

BENCH
    Rashard Lewis
    Joe Johnson
    Brad Miller
    Kirk Hinrich
    Ben Gordon
    Chauncey Billups
    Rasheed Wallace

Allen Iverson would be perfect on a team like this (just look how well he plays on the All-Star teams). He's the one All-Star that I would beg to play because he is totally indefensible on a team where he can't be doubled. If I thought he'd accept, Vince Carter would be an excellent player to pursue for the international style of ball.

The bench should be comprised of totally unselfish players that can all hit an outside shot and move the ball around. Plus, I think these guys would accept an invitation. If any of those players decline, I would go for guys like Tayshaun Prince, Fred Hoiberg, Emeka Okafor, Marcus Camby, or Kenyon Martin.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

If I picked:

Mike Bibby
    Richard Hamilton
    Tayshaun Prince
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Tim Duncan

Other bigs:
    Amare Stoudamire
    Ben Wallace

Other swingman:
    Joe Johnson
    Vince Carter

Other small guards:
    Allen Iverson
    Jason Terry

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I want good attitudes on the USA team. I feel the same way as Since 86, which is an absolute rarity. So I present my team. This squad IMO would have the right mix of talent and teamplay attitude to win. No prima donnas on my team, only those interested in representing the nation.

Starters

Kidd
    Wade
    Grant Hill (if healthy)
    Duncan
    Amare

Bench

Kirk Hinerich
    Ray Allen
    Prince
    JO
    Okafor
    Brad Miller
    Mike Miller
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    I feel the same way as Since 86, which is an absolute rarity.

I don't so much understand the need for Richard Hamilton on the team. Is the coach gonna want to run him off 4 screens to get him open?

Same for Jermaine O'Neal. He's way, way to used to having Carlilse feed him the ball in the paint. How quickly could he adapt to a different offense? Not that he'd play, anyway.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingfrog
    i am really not too thrilled with this whole selction process. i believe we should have tryouts. i am sick of trying to throw a bunch of big names (or the biggest names who accept invites) at the situation and expect to win.
    this process has (in my oppinion) been proven to be a failure. i want guys who really want to be there and are willing to accept their roles - not some crybabies or guys who want to be paid extra for this. with tryouts you get a better picture of how guys will play together rather than just giving slots to some big names and figure it will just work out somehow. it would weed out guys like melo and others because if they are whinning about p.t. and stuff in tryouts, they would just be sent packing and those who refuse to do what is wanted/needed won't make it.
    i think this post is totally on target. the whole selection thing is flawed; holding tryouts is probably the best option.

just think about it, so what if michael, larry, et al do the selecting, it's not as if they're the ones playing. most likely they'll base their selections on the season's performance just like anyone else. even if they do manage to pick the best possible team, there's no guarantee the players would go.

tryouts will at least filter out those guys who actually *want* to play. imo, that's the first step to building a good team.

See, I think Rip Hamilton is exactly the guy you need on this team. He is almost automatic on certain parts of the floor and would be great to bust up a zone.

My picks:

SG- Rip Hamilton
    PG- Jason Kidd
    C- Shaq (If he would play)
    PF- Tim Duncan
    SF- Lebron? I'm not sure if he can play SF or not.

Backups

SG- Allen Iverson
    PG- Mike Bibby
    C- Ben Wallace
    PF- Kevin Garnett
    SF- Tayshaun Prince

The thing is, if Shaq would play things could be so different. He still has a bit of that aura about him in International play. I've tried to include some guys that I think will play offense and defense as well. You certainly need good team mates.

Everytime I think of picking an olympic team I think of the movie "Miracle." The coach says "I'm not looking for the best players. I'm looking for the right ones."

I've always wondered what it would be like to take the reigning NBA champ team to play in the Olympics. It isn't practical for several reasons, including the fact that many starters are foreigners, but it would be an actual "team" instead of AllStar team.

You know, the amazing thing about the original Dream team was the passing ability. You had Stockton, Johnson, Bird, Jordan... those guys could not only score, but they were the ultimate team guys.