Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Larry, Michael, Bird, to pick olympic team.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Larry, Michael, Bird, to pick olympic team.

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:05 pm Post subject: Michael, Magic, and Larry to help pick Olympic team

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...RTS04/50602009

Quote:

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. ó Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird and Larry Brown are among the whoís who list of stars who agreed today to help choose the menís Olympic basketball team for the United States.

Other former players on the list this week included David Robinson, Charles Barkley, Bill Russell and Oscar Robertson. Other coaches included Dean Smith, Bob Knight, John Thompson and Chuck Daly.

They say Olympic team, i wonder if they mean the team for the qualifers and the World Championships. The rest of the world considers that to be the biggest event, it's about time we did the same. I like that they are taking this more seriously than they have before. So how bout it, who's your picks t be on the team? You know for sure Shaq won't be playing, Duncan hates FIBA (can't blame him) that leaves the US without 2 of the best players in the world. I also don't expect Kobe to accept an invite.

My team, I based this on how the world plays the game and players i think could fit into a team concept.

Coaches
    Coach K
    Mike D'Antoni
    Tubby Smith

I like these Coaches because they all demand respect. The college game is more like the international game, i figured college coaches would have a better feel on how to develop game plans.

Players

Amare
    Garnett
    Lebron
    Hamilton
    Bibby

Bench
    B.Miller
    J.O'Neal
    R.Allen
    Wade
    C.Billups
    S. Marion
    K. Hinrich

Before you go off with your "ahhh this guy is stupid...he didn't put ___________ on the team" Let me explain my picks. I watch alot of the US teams losses over the past 3 years, most of them were due to them not playing together and not being able to shoot worth a damn. I'm still not convinced that the world is even with us, when we put a competant team on the court. I wanted to pick guys that are not one trick ponies unless they can shoot. Ben Wallace for as great as he is, imo would not be that much of a factor. On the offensive end, we'd be playing 4 on 5 for the most part.

Most of these guys are great at two things atleast. KG has the total package, y'all just seen Amare play toe to toe with the best player in the world, evenly. Lebron's jumpshot is improving, and his D will improve this year under Mike Brown. Rip is a guy that can hit that mid range J, and with the shorter 3pt line, can give the US a outside shooter. Bibby played great in the 03 qualifers, i think he'd be the perfect pg for the team.

The bench has a mix of guys that can play D, and step out and knock down a wide open jumpshot. Brad Miller adds something to the team that they didn't have in 04 (no, not a white player) a guy that can shoot the 15 footer, while guys like JO and Amare work in the paint. The guards are all decent shooters, Wade being maybe the worst but most explosive and best defender on the wings.

Mood

Default Re: Larry, Michael, Bird, to pick olympic team.

That's awesome; USA basketball is going in the right direction by letting these guys decide the team. Much, much better idea. Unless they totally screw it up.

Yeah, because we all know Jordan and Brown are so good at evaluating talent.

As for your team, the only problem is half those guys turned them down last time.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Who picked the players before? Was it just an 'unknown' comittee?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, because we all know Jordan and Brown are so good at evaluating talent.

As for your team, the only problem is half those guys turned them down last time.
    Did you not read it? It's not like it's just those two. It's a large comittee filled with great basketball minds.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think it was Stu Jackson, and Stern might have had a say in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Did you not read it? It's not like it's just those two. It's a large comittee filled with great basketball minds.
    Yeah, I know, but those two names jumped out at me like a sore thumb. Combined with my unfondness of Bird, and the fact we have no reason to believe any of the other former players would be good at picking a team, I just don't see this going well.

When they named Collangelo in charge, I thought, "Well, he wouldn't be my first choice, but they need one person who's accountable." Ever since I've seen about 56,000 names added to the decision making process, which spells trouble.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My team would go like this.

Head coach:

Mike D'Antoni

Starters:

Mike Bibby
    Dwyane Wade
    LeBron James
    Rasheed Wallace
    Jermaine O'Neal

Bench:
    Kirk Hinrich
    Michael Redd
    Tayshaun Prince
    Brad Miller
    Trajan Langdon
    Maceo Baston
    Brian Cardinal

D'Antoni's the coach because of his international experience. Langdon, Baston, & Cardinal would be happy to be there, allowing the coach to essentially play nine players, which is all you need to play. Langdon & Baston are American stars in Europe, which is why they're on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by shags
    My team would go like this.

Head coach:

Mike D'Antoni

Starters:

Mike Bibby
    Dwyane Wade
    LeBron James
    Rasheed Wallace
    Jermaine O'Neal

Bench:
    Kirk Hinrich
    Michael Redd
    Tayshaun Prince
    Brad Miller
    Trajan Langdon
    Maceo Baston
    Brian Cardinal

D'Antoni's the coach because of his international experience. Langdon, Baston, & Cardinal would be happy to be there, allowing the coach to essentially play nine players, which is all you need to play. Langdon & Baston are American stars in Europe, which is why they're on the team.
    D'Antoni may have international experience, but I don't want a head coach in the WBC who can't coach defense. Put him on the coaching staff, but don't make him the head coach.

Mood

I think Mike Brown would be good, rookie or not.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just players, whether they would accept or not, I don't know.

Maybe they'd be willing to play to re-establish American pride.

K. Garnett
    T. Duncan
    R. Wallace
    J. O'Neal
    S. O'Neal
    R. Artest
    T. Prince
    R. Hamilton
    D. Wade
    J. Kidd
    M. Bibby
    K. Hinrich

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wouldn't Baston be a foreign player or did he convert to an american?
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

in europe the defense is # 1. our offensive time was not long time ago 30 seconds, but was changed to 24, scores went to 50 per game. about the usa team.
    PG Kidd, Wade
    SG Hamilton, Allen, Iverson
    SF Artest, LeBron
    PF Garnett, J O'neal, Marion
    C B Wallace, B Miller

I really hope, that allen joyn with the team. he made statement, that usa basketball should pay nba players some money for olympics, but i hope, that he have some national pride.

what about tracy mcgrady? And shouldn't artest be out there? I mean he is top 3 in defense! Which we sorely needed last time around.

Ron should be on the olympic team and if Larry is picking he would probably try to get him on the team. I dont want JO on the olympic teams anymore, he has trouble stay healthy as is, he doesnt need to go play extra bball.

Isiah should be on that list when it comes to picking teams.

You guys are coming up with a lot of great players, but it is important to have a good mix of role players on teams like this too. We have had tons of talent during the last few Olympics, but we have had trouble getting guys to do the dirty work, and guys who can play together. We need talented and dominating guys for sure, but we need scrappy lunch pail people also. Even when you get the cream of the crop to surrender their egos, they sometimes struggle to fill roles that they are unaccustomed to.

Another thing that we have been missing, and which is absolutely crucial is guys that can flat out shoot. Pure scorers, particularly outside shooters are crucial to the international game. Guys like Chris Mullin, Steve Alford, Steve Kerr, etc. often do well in international play. Somebody mentioned Ray Allen, who is a great choice. Ironically, alot of the great shooters in the NBA are from foreign country's.

I also think we need some veteran leadership. I am sure all of these guys are considering these things. It would be wonderful to be able to overwhelm the world with talent, but the talent has gotten much better around the world, and we have trouble getting our most dominant players to participate.

One last thing, we have had a few threads discussing the durability of our players. Jermaine has stepped up to play for the USA many times before, but he may be more hesitant to do it now. Playing these extra games really does take an extra toll on these guys, and we are having trouble keeping our guys healthy for the NBA season.

I don't promise to have the answers, but just a couple of things to consider.
    When you're playing against a stacked deck, compete even harder. Show the world how much you'll fight for the winners circle. If you do, someday the cellophane will crackle off a fresh pack, one that belongs to you, and the cards will be stacked in your favor.
    -Pat Riley

I just hope Allen Iverson isn't the last fat kid who's picked out of pity this time. He's a must, IMO.

Whoever you pick, make sure they can score in an offense without having to be the offense. (Some may think these previous two statement contradict. I don't.)

I wouldn't mind seeing Joe Johnson on the squad.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Here's an idea:

Reggie Miller.

You telling me that Reggie wouldn't LOVE to play in the world championships next summer?

You could fit him in wherever. He'd just be happy to be on the team.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    Here's an idea:

Reggie Miller.

You telling me that Reggie wouldn't LOVE to play in the world championships next summer?

A la Larry Bird? (a bit of a stretch, but you know what I mean) Hmm.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

well, the difference is, Reggie will be 40, not 36. But he will also be healthy, which Larry certainly was not.

Reggie is a shooter, and would really be useful in a pinch.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    A mule is a horse created by a committee.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

ImCrazyB

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    Here's an idea:

Reggie Miller.

That's actually a good idea.

But be prepared to be hit with sarcastic remarks about putting Wilt Chamberlain and Oscar Robertson on the team.

3ptmiller

Last time it seemed like they lost because of no Perimeter shooting (accuracy) and most importantly, they absolutely had no Heart... it looked like they came to play just for fun you know... like "Hey lets go and dunk over some white dudes in Europe! I mean, they really cant play better Ball than us, muhahah!"... and then they got stabbed..

i am really not too thrilled with this whole selction process. i believe we should have tryouts. i am sick of trying to throw a bunch of big names (or the biggest names who accept invites) at the situation and expect to win.
    this process has (in my oppinion) been proven to be a failure. i want guys who really want to be there and are willing to accept their roles - not some crybabies or guys who want to be paid extra for this. with tryouts you get a better picture of how guys will play together rather than just giving slots to some big names and figure it will just work out somehow. it would weed out guys like melo and others because if they are whinning about p.t. and stuff in tryouts, they would just be sent packing and those who refuse to do what is wanted/needed won't make it.