Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacers trade you hated the most

Default Re: Pacers trade you hated the most

1. Alex English

At the time, the only people who were for this trade were the same people who booed when we didn't draft Steve Alford. What the hell were we thinking?

What was the scenario in losing McGinnis in the first place? He went to Philly to play with the Dr. I believe. Did his contract just run out and he switched over to the NBA? I recall it was to prove that good ABA players were competitive in the NBA, but was he already maybe a year past his prime? By the time he was traded to Denver, his career was over, except for some local bonehead homerism.

2. Brad Miller

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

That future #1 in the Warriors trade to get Foster was used for them to draft Troy Murphy. Not a bad trade if you look at it that way.

You never trade #1 picks when you suck for veterans who don't make a difference. That should make my point clear.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by MSA2CF
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Most hate? Dale Davis for Jermaine O'Neal and Joe Kleine
    At the time I thought this was a disappointment. And while I was one of the people who cheered when he came back and cheered him through the end of this season, let's not forget he was signed for the maximum and within 48 hours was whining about the contract HE signed. He was gone in a week. Donnie can be accommodating.

best : artest, brad, ollie, mercer for rose , best , richardson.
    dont like: pollard and ferry for brad and mercer - too bad, that we didnt get turkoglu.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by peacers
    best : artest, brad, ollie, mercer for rose , best , richardson.
    dont like: pollard and ferry for brad and mercer - too bad, that we didnt get turkoglu.
    Welcome to the board fellow Euro .

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    HATED.

Hopeful.

LOVED.

Detlef for McKey
    ( I was huge Det fan and this was a Larry Brown trade for defense, while it wasn't a bad trade I thought Det was better)

Person and Michael Williams for Sam Mitchell and Pooh Richardson
    (I think if Chuck had stayed here he would have had a longer more productive career with his number retired he was near 20ppg when traded. Not one of DW's brighter moments, We may have had the #1 & #2 all time 3pt shooters.) Without a doubt the one I hated the most WTF was DW thinking!!!!

Antonio Davis for Bender

(I don't see it as AD for Bender I see it as AD for #4 Pick, we just picked bad)

Brad Miller and Mercer for Pollard, Danny Ferry
    (Wish we hadn't done this one, but economics prevailed)

Dale Davis for J.O (Great deal, how many times do you get a guy who finishes 3rd in MVP voting)

Al Harrington for Jackson (Still to be decided)

Jalen Rose and Best for Ollie, Mercer, Brad Miller, and Artest (Great move)

Malik Sealy and Piatkowski for Mark Jackson (was that the trade) (Great move)

What did we give up to get Foster. Was it Vontiego Cummings and a future draft pick. (Great move)

Herb Wiliams for Detlef (Great move)

Tisdale for Tank and Wittman.(a wash)
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

I thought we'd really screwed up when we traded DD for JO. I thought, "well, we're officially rebuilding, let the losing begin!". Fortunately, JO was at least as good as Dale that season, and continued improving. This trade was the one that convinced me not to worry when Donnie pulls a trade that I don't really understand.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a Pacer fan who doesn't remember where they were when we traded Dale for JO. It was just so damn shocking. I gave Walsh the benefit of the doubt, but I remember thinking, "Jesus, 3 high-schooler's. What's the world coming to."
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

AD for Bender. God that was a terrible trade. Imagine if we had AD in the finals? He probably would have helped somewhat....
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

hated the most?
    Dale davis for JO of course.

but that was before JO was an all star

honestly tho? I hated the brad miller trade. I mean scott pollard? WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    AD for Bender. God that was a terrible trade. Imagine if we had AD in the finals? He probably would have helped somewhat....
    I agree

On the cusp of winning a title we traded two big men away. Those are the two worst trades.

Antonio Davis for Bender (Antonio would have put us over the Lakers)

Brad Miller traded for whatever (with Brad we would have won over Detroit)

The best trade is the one where we got Mckey because that is when we got a defensive force on this team and that is when our run in the 90s started

Antonio Davis for Jonathan Bender.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "It's a league game, Smokey"

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Second verse: When you decide you don't want a player, and you get other players in exchange for dumping him, that is a trade.
    Semantics. We all know what the reality of the situation was.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    Semantics. We all know what the reality of the situation was.
    I'll humor you: I HATED the Brad Miller decision that resulted in Danny Ferry and Scot Pollard. (notice I didn't say trade )

If it wasnt a trade then why the hell didnt we just let Brad sign with someone? We picked up Pollards 7 million dollar per year contract, I would have much rather have let Brad go free then get that on our team. It was a trade and it was stupid as ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    If it wasnt a trade then why the hell didnt we just let Brad sign with someone? We picked up Pollards 7 million dollar per year contract, I would have much rather have let Brad go free then get that on our team. It was a trade and it was stupid as ****.
    Hindsight is 20/20. Remember, at the time, we had no Dale Davis, no David Harrison, no John Edwards, either. We had Jeff Foster, and an unproven Primoz. That's it. Unless we wanted to make JO a full time center, we needed another big body. Saving on Brad's contract wouldn't have helped, we were still way over the salary cap.

Pollard's been a bust, last year because he didn't understand Rick's system, and this year due to injuries. But, remember when we acquired him, Zeke was still the coach. Now, unless you believe Larry was always gonna fire him, there's ample evidence Pollard would have fit into a read-and-react system like Isiah's much better than Rick's walk-the-ball-up-while-I-call-the-play approach.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    Hindsight is 20/20. Remember, at the time, we had no Dale Davis, no David Harrison, no John Edwards, either. We had Jeff Foster, and an unproven Primoz. That's it. Unless we wanted to make JO a full time center, we needed another big body. Saving on Brad's contract wouldn't have helped, we were still way over the salary cap.

Pollard's been a bust, last year because he didn't understand Rick's system, and this year due to injuries. But, remember when we acquired him, Zeke was still the coach. Now, unless you believe Larry was always gonna fire him, there's ample evidence Pollard would have fit into a read-and-react system like Isiah's much better than Rick's walk-the-ball-up-while-I-call-the-play approach.
    Hindsight may be 20/20 but some of us were able to peer into "the year 2000" and see that we should have never given Bender one extra penny, or payed Reggie that much. Oh well, you win some, ya lose some. This was just a trade that we lost in.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    Hindsight may be 20/20 but some of us were able to peer into "the year 2000" and see that we should have never given Bender one extra penny, or payed Reggie that much. Oh well, you win some, ya lose some. This was just a trade that we lost in.

That was my biggest problem with the trade.

Over the past several years, we had overpaid players that were NOT worth it, but we suddenly had an all-star and were saying "well, we don't think he's worth the money he is asking for.

We clearly overpaid Croshere. We clearly overpaid Bender. One could say Foster was overpaid, I guess. At the time, we overpaid Reggie. I dont care if he was the Great Reggie Miller or not, his production at the time did not warrant the contract we gave him. I will say this thoguh, he played to that contract when he put the Pacers on his back and March and April and led them to the playoffs. I will be forever greatful for that.

If the Pacers would have had a history of paying players modest numbers, instead of overpaying several, then I wouldn't have had as much of a problem with the Brad Miller deal. But we overpaid player after player, and we had an allstar center that was worth the money, and all the sudden said that he wasn't worth it.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerFanAdam
    That was my biggest problem with the trade.

Over the past several years, we had overpaid players that were NOT worth it, but we suddenly had an all-star and were saying "well, we don't think he's worth the money he is asking for.

We clearly overpaid Croshere. We clearly overpaid Bender. One could say Foster was overpaid, I guess. At the time, we overpaid Reggie. I dont care if he was the Great Reggie Miller or not, his production at the time did not warrant the contract we gave him. I will say this thoguh, he played to that contract when he put the Pacers on his back and March and April and led them to the playoffs. I will be forever greatful for that.

If the Pacers would have had a history of paying players modest numbers, instead of overpaying several, then I wouldn't have had as much of a problem with the Brad Miller deal. But we overpaid player after player, and we had an allstar center that was worth the money, and all the sudden said that he wasn't worth it.
    Beautifully stated.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Agreed. Speaking of semantics, I'm going to go back to calling it what it was, a trade. A different type of trade, but a trade. A sign-and-trade.

Without a doubt it would have been Dale fo J.O, at the time I was crushed,confused,pissed. Nice work Donnie. Iam glad Double D is back. My first post. Long time lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by aceace
    Person and Michael Williams for Sam Mitchell and Pooh Richardson
    (I think if Chuck had stayed here he would have had a longer more productive career with his number retired he was near 20ppg when traded. Not one of DW's brighter moments, We may have had the #1 & #2 all time 3pt shooters.) Without a doubt the one I hated the most WTF was DW thinking!!!!
    This is my worst trade as well. Chuck offered to become the 6th man and defer to Reggie or whomever at the time. Chuck would have been an awesome 6th man shooting assassin!! It was a shame...................I'll always remember him gunning it down with Bird and the Celtics in the playoffs. That was our first big fun in the playoffs!!

Water