Thread: Johnny Davis, Kenny Natt, or Michael Curry may replace Mike Brown

Default Johnny Davis or Kenny Natt to replace Mike Brown

In losing Brown we lose our defensive coach, that does not concern me. Kevin O'Neill will step up and do just fine.

It is the communication thing that worries me. Seems Like Rick realizes that

While I don't think Johnny Davis is a good head coach, he'd be fine as an assistant

//www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050530/SPORTS04/505310386/1088

Brown agrees to Cavs' deal
    Former Pacers assistant coach to get $9 million, 4-year contract.

By Mike Wells
    mike.wells@indystar.com

Indiana Pacers associate head coach Mike Brown is going from coaching one high-school-to-the-NBA all-star (Jermaine O'Neal) to coaching another one in the same division.

Brown has agreed to a four-year deal reportedly worth about $9 million to coach LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers. A news conference is expected later this week.

"He's got the whole package and he's been great for our franchise," Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said. "There's no doubt in my mind he was the perfect pick for Cleveland and LeBron James. He's technically sound and he's close with the players; that makes a great coach. This is the start of a good coaching career. In our franchise, we like to see our people get opportunities elsewhere if they can't get them here."

Brown, 35, will become the second youngest coach in the NBA after New Jersey's Lawrence Frank.

Brown, who declined comment Monday, has worked under some of the top coaches in the NBA. He was Pacers coach Rick Carlisle's top assistant the past two seasons where he was in charge of the team's defense. He spent three seasons in San Antonio with Gregg Popovich, winning an NBA title in 2003. Brown also worked in Washington and Denver.

"When you have a great assistant, you know he's going to leave sooner or later," Carlisle said. "Mike did a great job in the aspect of the defense and he had a great relationship with the players. It's a big loss for us."

Getting the chance to coach James, one of the league's top players, makes up for Brown missing out on jobs last summer in Atlanta and Toronto, two of the worst teams in the Eastern Conference.

The Cavaliers finished 42-40 last season, losing a tiebreaker with New Jersey for the final playoff spot in the East.

With the possibility of Brown leaving once the Pacers' season ended almost two weeks ago, Carlisle has already put together a list of candidates to replace Brown on the bench.

Carlisle wouldn't reveal any names, but there's a possibility that current assistant Kevin O'Neill could become the team's top assistant. Two other possible candidates include Cavaliers assistant coach Kenny Natt and former Orlando head coach Johnny Davis.

"I've got some in mind, but there's no timetable on when we're going to get it done," Carlisle said. "Donnie and (Pacers president) Larry (Bird) have to talk to whoever it is and get to know him and get comfortable with him."

The Pacers aren't only dealing with the loss of Brown's basketball knowledge. They also have to replace someone who was close to the players, in particular Jermaine O'Neal and Stephen Jackson. Brown was the one who often kept the players calm when things got testy during games.

"It's going to be tough because Mike is a hard guy to replace," Carlisle said. "One of the many reasons he got the (Cleveland) job is because of his ability to communicate. That's a strength of his."

Call Star reporter Mike Wells at (317) 444-6053.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...505310386/1088

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Michael Curry may replace Mike Brown....

http://www.detnews.com/2005/pistons/...F06-198538.htm

Briefly

Former Piston Michael Curry has interviewed and is a strong candidate to join Rick Carlisle's coaching staff next season. He would replace Mike Brown, who is expected to named head coach of the Cavaliers. Curry briefly played for the Pacers last season.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Default Re: Johnny Davis or Kenny Natt to replace Mike Brown

Should the Pacers need someone to "(keep) the players calm when things (get) testy during games"?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Default Re: Micahel Curry may replace Mike Brown....

You and Uncle Buck are gonna have to battle this out....

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=12319

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Default Re: Micahel Curry may replace Mike Brown....

Well, Curry is an obvious candidate. In fact it makes sense that he is the leading candidate

Mood

Default Re: Johnny Davis, Kenny Natt, or Michael Curry may replace Mike Brown

Threads merged.

While I can't comment on Curry's coaching abilities, as long as this doesn't give him a chance to "Start" for the pacers again, I'd be ok with it......

Curry is the President of the PA right? So that means he should be close to the players, I wouldnt mind it at all if he got the job.

can we have Curry as a player/coach??? His skills were awesome...
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

Word of warning on Curry: the rumors were that his Raptors teammates hated him last season when O'Neill and Curry were together in Toronto. Something about him being a snitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Word of warning on Curry: the rumors were that his Raptors teammates hated him last season when O'Neill and Curry were together Toronto. Something about him being a snitch.
    Right. We got a little of that as well.

If we're looking for a bridge between players and coaches, Curry's not the guy I'd think of.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I don't want Sir Snitch here.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Whoever we get I'd prefer they be able to work with JO on life in the post....

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

PacerNthaDesert

I'd like to see a real coach in here, not Curry

NewType

Is Kareem still looking for a coaching job in the NBA? If he's willing to be assistant coach, I wouldn't mind him teaching JO and the Hulk to do a sky hook.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Didn't Kenny Natt play for the Pacers, or was that Calvin Natt?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

For the record: these are three guys I couldn't give half a shriveled **** about.

I should learn never to get my hopes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    For the record: these are three guys I couldn't give half a shriveled **** about.

I should learn never to get my hopes up.
    You are thinking what I was thinking as I read the articles. I'm not sure why we even need to spend the money on this position if these are our choices. It's not like Rick doesn't still have a right hand man on the bench.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    Didn't Kenny Natt play for the Pacers, or was that Calvin Natt?
    I don't know if anybody else really give a **** about my question, but I just looked it up at basketballreference.com, and the answer is, both!!

Kenny Natt was drafted by the Pacers in the second round of the 1980 draft, and he played in less than 45 games in his career. During his stint with the Pacers in 1980-81, he outscored both Jerry Sichting and Tom Abernathy. Now, that team made the playoffs and lost to Julius and the Sixers in the first round (back in the days of a Best-of-3 first round for teams that didn't earn a first round bye). So my concern is, what the heck were Sichting and Abernathy doing on a playoff team??

Calvin Natt, as I thought was the case, signed a couple of ten-day contracts with the Pacers during his last season (1989-90). He was, IIRC, recovering from ACL surgery back in the days where that was a two-year long rehab. He was a far cry from the prolific scorer for the mid-1980s Nuggets.

Calvin Natt was a fine player back in his day.

jay do you feel as old as I do as we talk about players most of the people in this foruim have never seen before.

I remember when I was a teenager and when I heard the oldtimers talk about the ABA, I would say give it rest that was like 10 years ago.

Now here we are.

Yeah, but every time I start to feel old, I remind myself that MagicRat is two months older than we are.