Sports Logo

Default The Reggie Years

this apparently gonna be an ongoing series

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The Reggie Years

Looking forward to seeing the rest of these. I know those jerseys from Reggie's rookie year aren't all that popular, but I actually like them quite a bit. Kinda strange to see so many clips in this video with the team in the white versions of those and the flo-jos.
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looking forward to seeing the rest of these. I know those jerseys from Reggie's rookie year aren't all that popular, but I actually like them quite a bit. Kinda strange to see so many clips in this video with the team in the white versions of those and the flo-jos.
    I'd dig the Tron unis as a throwback few times a year thing.

Anyway, anybody know anything about this Reggie spitting on a fan at UCLA deal? that's honestly something I've never heard about. kid does something like that now it's gonna be a whole lot different than "oh, he spit on your teammate? I get it, welcome to Indiana."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Anyway, anybody know anything about this Reggie spitting on a fan at UCLA deal? that's honestly something I've never heard about. kid does something like that now it's gonna be a whole lot different than "oh, he spit on your teammate? I get it, welcome to Indiana."
    Yeah, that's the first I have heard about it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd dig the Tron unis as a throwback few times a year thing.

Wasn't a fan, it was Devin Durrant according to Reggie's book. Ironically, Durrant would play a season as a Pacer in 1984-1985. Durrant spit on Corey Gaines (I think) and Reggie retaliated.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Love seeing this stuff. By sheer chance the summer I moved to the Indy area as a kid was the summer that Reggie Miller was drafted.

Random memories: IU had just won the NCAA championship and everyone seemed to be pissed that the Pacers didn't draft Steve Alford instead (we dodged a bullet there lol). The Pan Am Games were played in Indy that summer as well and my parents took me to some of the events.. I remember seeing Jackie Joyner-Kersee tie the long jump record...

It was that 87-88 season where I became a Pacers fan, watching Chuck and Reggie on Channel 4(?) and getting to go to 3-4 games at Market Square Arena with my dad...

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Sports Logo

Looking back, Reggie basically is my childhood. You know how many times I punched my twin brother in the face over "being Reggie" in the driveway? I have a scar on the top of my head from busting my dome open on the top bunk after 8p9s. I vividly remember, for whatever reason, telling my buddy Ryan he's an idiot for thinking Reggie was gonna actually go to the Knicks when I was in like 7th grade. I rode my Huffy across town to JC Penney, when that was still a thing, after saving for like 2 months to buy one of those crap Champion replica Reggie jerseys for 40 bucks, a good 18 of it in quarters. "don't have kid sizes? I'll grow into it." and I did, we had the pinstripes by then but Reggie was still here. talking about this Uncle Mel dude, and this Roger Brown dude, and "Slick was a coach? the guy I'm watching on channel 4?" Reg made sure to give love to his predecessors.

I don't know man, Reggie was special, even for his generation. you don't get a lot of guys that embrace a franchise and fanbase (and holy hell were there reasons for him not to embrace us) the way he did. we burned the guy's house down and he thanked us for putting his number in the rafters.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Looking back, Reggie basically is my childhood. You know how many times I punched my twin brother in the face over "being Reggie" in the driveway? I have a scar on the top of my head from busting my dome open on the top bunk after 8p9s. I vividly remember, for whatever reason, telling my buddy Ryan he's an idiot for thinking Reggie was gonna actually go to the Knicks when I was in like 7th grade. I rode my Huffy across town to JC Penney, when that was still a thing, after saving for like 2 months to buy one of those crap Champion replica Reggie jerseys for 40 bucks, a good 18 of it in quarters. "don't have kid sizes? I'll grow into it." and I did, we had the pinstripes by then but Reggie was still here. talking about this Uncle Mel dude, and this Roger Brown dude, and "Slick was a coach? the guy I'm watching on channel 4?" Reg made sure to give love to his predecessors.

I don't know man, Reggie was special, even for his generation. you don't get a lot of guys that embrace a franchise and fanbase (and holy hell were there reasons for him not to embrace us) the way he did. we burned the guy's house down and he thanked us for putting his number in the rafters.

That was a great post until the "we" burned his crib down sentence.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Truth hurts.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Truth hurts.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Yes, I had forgotten about the eyewitness accounts of Pacers fans with torches storming his house in mass, sort of like in Beauty and the Beast when Gaston and the townspeople storm the Beast's castle.

Whoever did it was a pyscho. In no way shape or form did "we" as in a body Pacers fans or a body of Indiana citizens burn his crib down. That's just an ignorant thing to say. I haven't heard of any other houses belonging to Pacers or Colts erupting into flames. Clearly this was an isolated incident for whatever reason.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 06-18-2017 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    No one knows who burned his house down. Most important they don't know why although there were things stolen. What we do know is that his wife wanted to live in California, their house in Indy was undergoing a renovation (apparently because Reggie planned to stay there) and they divorced 3 years later.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

I thought Reggie was receiving a lot of threats and hate mail around the time his house burned down.

I think it took some courage for Reggie to stay.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

So one person, maybe a few people, commit arson against Reggie's house, and that somehow makes all of the people of Indiana, or everyone who is a fan of the Indiana Pacers, guilty of this crime?

That's an awfully low standard of proof...

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    So one person, maybe a few people, commit arson against Reggie's house, and that somehow makes all of the people of Indiana, or everyone who is a fan of the Indiana Pacers, guilty of this crime?

Even if he received racist mail, which I'm not sure that happened, how does anyone know it was from a resident of Indiana? Why not a ticked off Knicks fan?

Also, he had been playing basketball for years in Indiana. Why all the sudden, especially when the general public adored him?

Again, nobody knows who did it. Yet we have people in this thread broadly demonizing residents of Indiana. ...smh.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

27. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

Especially when we have no idea what actually happened. It's a cheap and thinly veiled attempt at saying "Indiana is full of a bunch of deranged homicidal hicks who support torching someone's house and possibly committing murder if someone is inside".

Like I said, I've yet to hear of any fires at the homes of JO, Marvin Harrison, Freeney, Mathis, Granger, PG, ABA Pacers, Reggie Wayne, David West, Dale Davis, Roy Hibbert, etc etc etc. Clearly whatever happened to Reggie's crib was an isolated incident. The "we" burned it down line truly was disgusting.