Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Not a problem"

Default Re: "Not a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're going to drive my car into the Burlington Coat Factory?.....
    Damn it! I knew I forgot to do something.

Next time, Rat. Next time.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    So I come out of my local Burger King after lunch this afternoon, get into my car and turn the key. Click-click-click. Won't start.

Get out, look under the hood. Nothing I can really do. Don't know why I even did that. Shut the hood, try it again. Same thing.

Start walking across the parking lot to the Village Pantry to use the phone when a guy calls out, "Hey, you need a jump?"

I say, "Yeah, I think so. Do you have any cables?"

He does, so we push my car out of the parking space so we can jump it. Starts right up.
    Why is it the guy whose car doesn't need a jump is the one that always has the jumper cables? Shouldn't the guy driving the jalopy that is always in need of repair be the guy that carries jumper cables?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    Why is it the guy whose car doesn't need a jump is the one that always has the jumper cables? Shouldn't the guy driving the jalopy that is always in need of repair be the guy that carries jumper cables?

-Bball
    It's one of life's mystery's it's like the dude that always wins twenty bucks on a scratchy but yet wears an Armani jacket while he lil kid wearing his Pacer Retreads can't win 20cents to buy some gum...... life is just wonderfully weird...

I think the whole no problem thing is a sign of modern culture, I tend to use it to much but I use it sarcastically like when I'm at work and some one asks me to do a BS Job for them I Smile when I'm done and they go thank you and I smile back and say hey, no problem While having very very nasty thoughts about how much hassle and a pain that bullocks of a job really was....

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

Quote Originally Posted by Bball

-Bball
    Hey, this baby's never given me a hint of trouble until that day. Plus I don't have any place to carry jumper cables since the kids have to ride in the trunk and I don't want them to accidentally pinch their fingers..........

PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Quote Originally Posted by Kraft
    Of course, a lot of them are my subordinates, so that is what I'm there for. Moreover, though, we're all way, way younger than Scott.
    Well, well, look at the funny man. I'll thank you to to show some respect for your elders. And if you say "not a problem", it is ON!

Quote Originally Posted by Viscious Tyrone
    Skaut, you are clearly a highly perceptive individual. First weren't you the one who noticed that hot lady coach from the women's NCAA Tournament - and did you receive thanks from this board? Sadly no - only scorn.

Now you mention one of the most irritating, impolite phrases extant and again - do you receive the thanks you richly deserve? No, only more scorn from these neanderthals.

Worry not, however, I can confirm that the phrase "Not a problem" needs to be skewered and quickly. It's totally irritating.

And to those of you who disagree, you're probably still hooked on saying "Hammer Time!" and "You be illin'", so back off!
    Word!! I knew you had my back, homie. You are the bomb. See, folks, VT knows what's up. The boy is fresh. He understands me perfectly, why he....he....uh, you're being sarcastic, aren't you? Dayam! Why you gots to be illin'?

Quote Originally Posted by Keg-Boyeeee
    Now, on to my pet peeve. When did "Hello" become replaced with "Hey, how ya doin'?" And no, I'm not talking about Joey-esque pickup lines. The expected response is always, "Good, how are you?" Try saying anything else. Say, "Eh", and they'll look at you wierd, because they don't really care how you are, even though they just asked you. Just say, "Good", and they'll still look at you wierd, because, doggoneit, you didn't ask them in return. It just infuriates the hell out of me.
    Yeah, I never got that one either. What passes for courtesy/politeness has gotten casual to the point of non-sensical. Speaking of how ya doing...

Sunday, my niece spent the nite. My wife and I got up and went out onto the porch to read the paper, niece in tow. Before we could catch her, my niece closed the LOCKED door behind her before we could tun the latch. Yes!! locked out of my own house. So my wife goes to the neighbors to borrow a screwdriver so I can pry a window. She explained to him what happened and as he walks out to his truck to get his tools, he waves at me and says "How ya doing?" How am I doing? How am I doing? I'm standing in my undies with those little lines on my face from when you sleep too hard and the pillow leaves creases where the folds were, my mouth still tastes like the beer I was drinking the nite before and I'm locked out of my house like my wife just told you!! How am I doing? Arrgghh!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious Tyrant
    Ha ha! Awesome!

Thanks, I had no idea....

Practice:

Oh, great, Hicks. Isn't that kinda like giving a metally-challenged kid gasoline and a pack of matches to play with?
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Jump back!

I was in no way being sarcastic. I actually considered posting to tell MR to back off derailing this thread from its original intention of ERADICATING THIS IRRITATING PHRASE!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut Etch
    Sunday, my niece spent the nite. My wife and I got up and went out onto the porch to read the paper, niece in tow. Before we could catch her, my niece closed the LOCKED door behind her before we could tun the latch. Yes!! locked out of my own house. So my wife goes to the neighbors to borrow a screwdriver so I can pry a window. She explained to him what happened and as he walks out to his truck to get his tools, he waves at me and says "How ya doing?" How am I doing? How am I doing? I'm standing in my undies with those little lines on my face from when you sleep too hard and the pillow leaves creases where the folds were, my mouth still tastes like the beer I was drinking the nite before and I'm locked out of my house like my wife just told you!! How am I doing? Arrgghh!!

Uhhhh Scott? I don't think anyone actually asked you!
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So...umm...

How you guys doin'?

When someone ask me "how you doing?" I pause and then give a thoughful, realistic answer.

I bet that p!sses some people off.

Also, just because of this thread, I've re-evaluated my use of "not a problem" or "no problem" in place of "you're welcome".

Now I just say "f*** you!"

Just kidding. I'm starting to use "you're welcome" again. But I feel so un-cool... :-)
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

If only one person sees the light through this thread, it will have been worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    But I feel so un-cool... :-)
    Uhhhh, how did you feel before?
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

Uhhhh, how did you feel before?
    Yep. Pretty much the same.

I think I'll stick with "You're welcome", but follow it up with a chest bump. That should make me hip.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

When someone says thank you to me, I usually say "no problem" when it was really a problem but I'm trying to be polite. I say "your welcome" if I really feel like its a legit thank you. I side with Skaut on this one.....
    "I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post."

--Jack Nicholson as Colonel Nathan Jessup in A Few Good Men

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    Yep. Pretty much the same.

I think I'll stick with "You're welcome", but follow it up with a chest bump. That should make me hip.
    I think you should follow it up with or ...

I'll just remember never to ask you to do anything that would require thanking.......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Rat!

Heather is married to Briggsy! Drop it! Live in the now! You've got to purge those thoughts from your mind, they're taking over your every waking moment!

Rat!

Heather is married to Briggsy! Drop it! Live in the now! You've got to purge those thoughts from your mind, they're taking over your every waking moment!
    Nah. I just wanted you to make you look at Zesty's avatar.......

Maybe we could email Jaskivei\ckseus and advise him to teabag other players after a sweet move. He seems like the type.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    This is really getting to be a pet peeve of mine. If you do something for me and I respond, "Thank you." the proper response is not

"Not a problem."

WTF is that? What happened to "you're welcome"?

It comes across as a totally inappropriate response to my appreciating something you did. I didn't ask if it was a problem. Matter of fact, I don't care if it was a problem. Why do so many people respond to a courteous statement like "Thank you" with "Not a problem"? If I'm being courteous to you, don't come back with something stupid like that.

I just got that twice this morning. Once at work and once while I was getting coffee before work.

Am I the only one that finds that a discourteous and stupid response to "Thank you"?

For some reason, it's getting to be a grating pet peeve of mine.
    Okay, I'm going to drop kick the next person that comes back with 'not a problem" to my thanking them, then I'm going to say "Not a problem!!" Either that or simply quit thanking people.

This morning I had three co-workers respond with that so casual-so cool phrase, so I asked them, why they say that, pointing out that I never asked if it was a problem for them, but was thanking them and didn't it seem like "not a problem" didn't make much sense as a response and was kinda discourteous, since someone just thanked them?

When I pointed it out, all three agreed that "not a problem" was kind of a stupid response to someone giving them thanks. Thing is, not a one of them knew why they used that phrase. They just heard it around, it sounded casual, so they started using it.

Man, that phrase grates.

I know, from now on instead of saying "thank you", I'll respond with a homily or platitude: "A stitch in time saves nine!" "A rolling stone gathers no moss!"
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

I don't use it with people I'm not acquainted with, only family and friends. But when I say it, its like a combination of 'My pleasure' and 'Don't mention it'. Saying 'No problem' is a short way of saying 'Although I appreciate your gratitude, you are very important to me so anything that I can do for is my pleasure and, in my opinion, does not even deserve a thank you'.

I think you just have to keep in mind that it's simply slang, and of course not meant literally (although it can be I guess). I wouldn't take it any more literally than when something is considered "cool".

Of course, you could get angry about that one too.

"Excuse me? Did you just say that was, 'cool'?

Tell me, does it feel cold to the touch? If I put it in my drink, will it provide me a refreshing ice-cold beverage? What a stupid phrase!"

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    Okay, I'm going to drop kick the next person that comes back with 'not a problem" to my thanking them, then I'm going to say "Not a problem!!" Either that or simply quit thanking people.

This morning I had three co-workers respond with that so casual-so cool phrase, so I asked them, why they say that, pointing out that I never asked if it was a problem for them, but was thanking them and didn't it seem like "not a problem" didn't make much sense as a response and was kinda discourteous, since someone just thanked them?

When I pointed it out, all three agreed that "not a problem" was kind of a stupid response to someone giving them thanks. Thing is, not a one of them knew why they used that phrase. They just heard it around, it sounded casual, so they started using it.

Man, that phrase grates.

I know, from now on instead of saying "thank you", I'll respond with a homily or platitude: "A stitch in time saves nine!" "A rolling stone gathers no moss!"
    What are people supposed to say, Scott, "you're welcome"?

What do you think that means? The origins or it are literally, "you are welcome at my home". Now, 98% of the people who thank me, I don't ever want coming to my house.

That's why, thanks to this thread, I now just roll my eyes and say "whatever" when somebody thanks me.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

When someone thanks me I knee them in the balls with a warm smile.

woman without a team

I've decided the next time I do something that gets me a "thank you" I'm going to respond with "It was a huge problem for me to do it and you're not welcome because I didn't want to do it in the first place! "

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think I'll start replying with "Well that and a dollar will buy me a coke. A cash tip would be greatly appriciated next time."

While we're on little cultural things like this...

What's with the fist-to-fist punch instead of a handshake?

I can't see that without wanting to yell "Wonder Twin powers, ACTIVATE!"

- Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by MarionDeputy
    When someone says thank you to me, I usually say "no problem" when it was really a problem but I'm trying to be polite. I say "your welcome" if I really feel like its a legit thank you. I side with Skaut on this one.....
    MD, if this irks you and Scott I hate to think what happens when that drunken fool throws up, craps, or wizzes in the back of your car.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....