Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Not a problem"

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: "Not a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So I come out of my local Burger King after lunch this afternoon, get into my car and turn the key. Click-click-click. Won't start.

Get out, look under the hood. Nothing I can really do. Don't know why I even did that. Shut the hood, try it again. Same thing.

Start walking across the parking lot to the Village Pantry to use the phone when a guy calls out, "Hey, you need a jump?"

I say, "Yeah, I think so. Do you have any cables?"

He does, so we push my car out of the parking space so we can jump it. Starts right up. After I take off the cables, I go up to him and say, "Thanks a lot. I really appreciate the help" and shake his hand.

"No problem...no problem," he replies.

I punch him square in the nose, get in my car and drive to Pep Boys to see what's wrong with my car......
    Okay, now I very rarely actually laugh while reading something. I laugh in my mind, or someone comes along in my head and says "Hey, thats funny." However this post actually made me laugh out loud. I knew something like this was coming, but it was everything I hoped it could be when it got here.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

My nose still hurts.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Skaut, you are clearly a highly perceptive individual. First weren't you the one who noticed that hot lady coach from the women's NCAA Tournament - and did you receive thanks from this board? Sadly no - only scorn.

Now you mention one of the most irritating, impolite phrases extant and again - do you receive the thanks you richly deserve? No, only more scorn from these neanderthals.

Worry not, however, I can confirm that the phrase "Not a problem" needs to be skewered and quickly. It's totally irritating.

And to those of you who disagree, you're probably still hooked on saying "Hammer Time!" and "You be illin'", so back off!
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

You've nailed it. We are all like that. Yo.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious Tyrant
    Skaut, you are clearly a highly perceptive individual. First weren't you the one who noticed that hot lady coach from the women's NCAA Tournament - and did you receive thanks from this board? Sadly no - only scorn.

Now you mention one of the most irritating, impolite phrases extant and again - do you receive the thanks you richly deserve? No, only more scorn from these neanderthals.

Worry not, however, I can confirm that the phrase "Not a problem" needs to be skewered and quickly. It's totally irritating.

And to those of you who disagree, you're probably still hooked on saying "Hammer Time!" and "You be illin'", so back off!
    I hope this was sarcastic, dawg.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

For the record, I say "not a problem". The intention is self-effacing, saying it was no big deal not worthy of thanks.

Now, on to my pet peeve. When did "Hello" become replaced with "Hey, how ya doin'?" And no, I'm not talking about Joey-esque pickup lines. The expected response is always, "Good, how are you?" Try saying anything else. Say, "Eh", and they'll look at you wierd, because they don't really care how you are, even though they just asked you. Just say, "Good", and they'll still look at you wierd, because, doggoneit, you didn't ask them in return. It just infuriates the hell out of me. I don't give a damn how anybody else is, and I sure as hell don't want to take the time to tell them I've having a crappy day.

I should just say, "I'm still mad that David Stern is an egomaniac ******* suffering from Napoleonic issues and that Larry Bird raised my season ticket prices 60%. Uncle Buck says I've become a very bitter man. How are you?"

[edit] So Skaut, I'll make a deal with you. If you can get everybody I ever talk to to stop asking me how I'm doing (especially my boss that asks me every single time she talks to me, no matter if we talked 5 minutes ago), then I'll stop saying "not a problem".
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Just in case any of you were wondering, the correct answer is "alternator".....and a visit from Dave Gorcyca. How he got jurisdiction I'll never know....
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    Now, on to my pet peeve. When did "Hello" become replaced with "Hey, how ya doin'?" And no, I'm not talking about Joey-esque pickup lines. The expected response is always, "Good, how are you?" Try saying anything else. Say, "Eh", and they'll look at you wierd, because they don't really care how you are, even though they just asked you. Just say, "Good", and they'll still look at you wierd, because, doggoneit, you didn't ask them in return. It just infuriates the hell out of me. I don't give a damn how anybody else is, and I sure as hell don't want to take the time to tell them I've having a crappy day.
    Sounds like somebody has a case of the Mondays.......

Sounds like somebody has a case of the Mondays.......
    That cuts it, I'm definitely pulling a Tim on your sorry *** the next forum party.

That cuts it, I'm definitely pulling a Tim on your sorry *** the next forum party.
    You're going to drive my car into the Burlington Coat Factory?.....

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What a thread.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Don't think I won't.

This thread is disturbingly Seinfeldesque...

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    This thread is disturbingly Seinfeldesque...

Ding ding ding. VERY seinfeld.

It reminds me of the regular "hello" opposed to the Funeral "hello"

Btw, the thing that annoys me considerably is when you hold the door open for someone and they don't even acknowledge you. I usually let out a slight "You're welcome, jackass" when that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious Tyrant

You be illin with that post, yo!!!! You laid it out like it was hammer time!!!!
    "If I have the ball, I will shoot it, you have to believe that," - Stephen Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    I hope this was sarcastic, dawg.
    Jump back!

I suppose I was being a bit of a jive turkey about Hammer Time and You be Illin', but the rest was righteous.

Or maybe you were referring to the lady coach - in that case step off! I'm unrepentant!!

btw, I can't figure out how to put smileys in my messages, so I can't make it sound like I want it to. Frak!
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

I should just say, "I'm still mad that David Stern is an egomaniac ******* suffering from Napoleonic issues and that Larry Bird raised my season ticket prices 60%. Uncle Buck says I've become a very bitter man. How are you?"
    I try to say "And you?" when people ask how I'm doing. They never even realize I didn't say how I'm doing!

Try it, its rad!

Click "Post Reply" to reply with smilies on your right to choose from, along with a link to a ton more.

Hmmmm, I don't get any smileys. Just some "post icons".

Your profile was set to the most bland option for posting replies, I switched it to WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) mode. Try clicking Post Reply now.

Ha ha! Awesome!

Thanks, I had no idea....

Practice:

So I just now read this thread. And - oddly - it might be one of the more intelligent threads on the whole forum.

I do use "not a problem" and quite frequently. But ... I think I only use it with guys. Women almost always get a "you're welcome, my dear." But my guy friends ...

They'll say ... "Hey, thanks for bringing that to my attention."

I'll respond ... "Not a problem, my man, not a problem. That's what I'm here for."

Of course, a lot of them are my subordinates, so that is what I'm there for. Moreover, though, we're all way, way younger than Scott.

Zesty

I have been known to say "no problem" in response to being thanked, and I always mean that there was no need to thank me, although I honestly would probably be pissed if I wasn't thanked in the first place.

VT, I use the same strategy when people ask me how I'm doing.

Sample Person: "Hey, how ya doin'?"
    Zesty: "How are you?"

I do this because I am aware of the fact that when someone asks how I am as a greeting, they don't actually want to know, they're just being polite.