Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 76

Thread: "Not a problem"

  1. #26
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So I come out of my local Burger King after lunch this afternoon, get into my car and turn the key. Click-click-click. Won't start.

    Get out, look under the hood. Nothing I can really do. Don't know why I even did that. Shut the hood, try it again. Same thing.

    Start walking across the parking lot to the Village Pantry to use the phone when a guy calls out, "Hey, you need a jump?"

    I say, "Yeah, I think so. Do you have any cables?"

    He does, so we push my car out of the parking space so we can jump it. Starts right up. After I take off the cables, I go up to him and say, "Thanks a lot. I really appreciate the help" and shake his hand.

    "No problem...no problem," he replies.

    I punch him square in the nose, get in my car and drive to Pep Boys to see what's wrong with my car......
    Okay, now I very rarely actually laugh while reading something. I laugh in my mind, or someone comes along in my head and says "Hey, thats funny." However this post actually made me laugh out loud. I knew something like this was coming, but it was everything I hoped it could be when it got here.
    House Name: Pacers

    House Sigil:



    House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

  2. #27
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,629

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    My nose still hurts.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  3. #28
    Member Vicious Tyrant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bloomington
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,207

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    Skaut, you are clearly a highly perceptive individual. First weren't you the one who noticed that hot lady coach from the women's NCAA Tournament - and did you receive thanks from this board? Sadly no - only scorn.

    Now you mention one of the most irritating, impolite phrases extant and again - do you receive the thanks you richly deserve? No, only more scorn from these neanderthals.

    Worry not, however, I can confirm that the phrase "Not a problem" needs to be skewered and quickly. It's totally irritating.


    And to those of you who disagree, you're probably still hooked on saying "Hammer Time!" and "You be illin'", so back off!
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

  4. #29
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    You've nailed it. We are all like that. Yo.

  5. #30
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious Tyrant
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Skaut, you are clearly a highly perceptive individual. First weren't you the one who noticed that hot lady coach from the women's NCAA Tournament - and did you receive thanks from this board? Sadly no - only scorn.

    Now you mention one of the most irritating, impolite phrases extant and again - do you receive the thanks you richly deserve? No, only more scorn from these neanderthals.

    Worry not, however, I can confirm that the phrase "Not a problem" needs to be skewered and quickly. It's totally irritating.


    And to those of you who disagree, you're probably still hooked on saying "Hammer Time!" and "You be illin'", so back off!
    I hope this was sarcastic, dawg.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  6. #31
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,959

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    For the record, I say "not a problem". The intention is self-effacing, saying it was no big deal not worthy of thanks.

    Now, on to my pet peeve. When did "Hello" become replaced with "Hey, how ya doin'?" And no, I'm not talking about Joey-esque pickup lines. The expected response is always, "Good, how are you?" Try saying anything else. Say, "Eh", and they'll look at you wierd, because they don't really care how you are, even though they just asked you. Just say, "Good", and they'll still look at you wierd, because, doggoneit, you didn't ask them in return. It just infuriates the hell out of me. I don't give a damn how anybody else is, and I sure as hell don't want to take the time to tell them I've having a crappy day.

    I should just say, "I'm still mad that David Stern is an egomaniac ******* suffering from Napoleonic issues and that Larry Bird raised my season ticket prices 60%. Uncle Buck says I've become a very bitter man. How are you?"

    [edit] So Skaut, I'll make a deal with you. If you can get everybody I ever talk to to stop asking me how I'm doing (especially my boss that asks me every single time she talks to me, no matter if we talked 5 minutes ago), then I'll stop saying "not a problem".
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  7. #32
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,822

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    Just in case any of you were wondering, the correct answer is "alternator".....and a visit from Dave Gorcyca. How he got jurisdiction I'll never know....
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  8. #33
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,822

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now, on to my pet peeve. When did "Hello" become replaced with "Hey, how ya doin'?" And no, I'm not talking about Joey-esque pickup lines. The expected response is always, "Good, how are you?" Try saying anything else. Say, "Eh", and they'll look at you wierd, because they don't really care how you are, even though they just asked you. Just say, "Good", and they'll still look at you wierd, because, doggoneit, you didn't ask them in return. It just infuriates the hell out of me. I don't give a damn how anybody else is, and I sure as hell don't want to take the time to tell them I've having a crappy day.
    Sounds like somebody has a case of the Mondays.......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  9. #34
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,959

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sounds like somebody has a case of the Mondays.......
    That cuts it, I'm definitely pulling a Tim on your sorry *** the next forum party.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  10. #35
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,822

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That cuts it, I'm definitely pulling a Tim on your sorry *** the next forum party.
    You're going to drive my car into the Burlington Coat Factory?.....
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  11. #36
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    What a thread.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  12. #37
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,959

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're going to drive my car into the Burlington Coat Factory?.....
    Don't think I won't.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  13. #38
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,233

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're going to drive my car into the Burlington Coat Factory?.....

  14. #39
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,233

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    This thread is disturbingly Seinfeldesque...

  15. #40
    Member Harddrive7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,176

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This thread is disturbingly Seinfeldesque...


    Ding ding ding. VERY seinfeld.

    It reminds me of the regular "hello" opposed to the Funeral "hello"

  16. #41
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,233

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    Btw, the thing that annoys me considerably is when you hold the door open for someone and they don't even acknowledge you. I usually let out a slight "You're welcome, jackass" when that happens.

  17. #42
    Member PHC Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    37
    Posts
    471

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious Tyrant
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Skaut, you are clearly a highly perceptive individual. First weren't you the one who noticed that hot lady coach from the women's NCAA Tournament - and did you receive thanks from this board? Sadly no - only scorn.

    Now you mention one of the most irritating, impolite phrases extant and again - do you receive the thanks you richly deserve? No, only more scorn from these neanderthals.

    Worry not, however, I can confirm that the phrase "Not a problem" needs to be skewered and quickly. It's totally irritating.


    And to those of you who disagree, you're probably still hooked on saying "Hammer Time!" and "You be illin'", so back off!
    You be illin with that post, yo!!!! You laid it out like it was hammer time!!!!
    "If I have the ball, I will shoot it, you have to believe that," - Stephen Jackson


  18. #43
    Member Vicious Tyrant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bloomington
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,207

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope this was sarcastic, dawg.
    Jump back!

    I suppose I was being a bit of a jive turkey about Hammer Time and You be Illin', but the rest was righteous.

    Or maybe you were referring to the lady coach - in that case step off! I'm unrepentant!!

    btw, I can't figure out how to put smileys in my messages, so I can't make it sound like I want it to. Frak!
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

  19. #44
    Member Vicious Tyrant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bloomington
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,207

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now, on to my pet peeve. When did "Hello" become replaced with "Hey, how ya doin'?" And no, I'm not talking about Joey-esque pickup lines. The expected response is always, "Good, how are you?" Try saying anything else. Say, "Eh", and they'll look at you wierd, because they don't really care how you are, even though they just asked you. Just say, "Good", and they'll still look at you wierd, because, doggoneit, you didn't ask them in return. It just infuriates the hell out of me. I don't give a damn how anybody else is, and I sure as hell don't want to take the time to tell them I've having a crappy day.

    I should just say, "I'm still mad that David Stern is an egomaniac ******* suffering from Napoleonic issues and that Larry Bird raised my season ticket prices 60%. Uncle Buck says I've become a very bitter man. How are you?"
    I try to say "And you?" when people ask how I'm doing. They never even realize I didn't say how I'm doing!

    Try it, its rad!
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

  20. #45
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    Click "Post Reply" to reply with smilies on your right to choose from, along with a link to a ton more.

  21. #46
    Member Vicious Tyrant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bloomington
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,207

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    Hmmmm, I don't get any smileys. Just some "post icons".
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

  22. #47
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    Your profile was set to the most bland option for posting replies, I switched it to WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) mode. Try clicking Post Reply now.

  23. #48
    Member Vicious Tyrant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bloomington
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,207

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    Ha ha! Awesome!

    Thanks, I had no idea....



    Practice:

    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

  24. #49

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    So I just now read this thread. And - oddly - it might be one of the more intelligent threads on the whole forum.

    I do use "not a problem" and quite frequently. But ... I think I only use it with guys. Women almost always get a "you're welcome, my dear." But my guy friends ...

    They'll say ... "Hey, thanks for bringing that to my attention."

    I'll respond ... "Not a problem, my man, not a problem. That's what I'm here for."

    Of course, a lot of them are my subordinates, so that is what I'm there for. Moreover, though, we're all way, way younger than Scott.

  25. #50
    Zesty
    Guest

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    I have been known to say "no problem" in response to being thanked, and I always mean that there was no need to thank me, although I honestly would probably be pissed if I wasn't thanked in the first place.

    VT, I use the same strategy when people ask me how I'm doing.

    Sample Person: "Hey, how ya doin'?"
    Zesty: "How are you?"

    I do this because I am aware of the fact that when someone asks how I am as a greeting, they don't actually want to know, they're just being polite.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •