Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 76

Thread: "Not a problem"

  1. #1
    Well lubricated Skaut_Ech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,389

    Default "Not a problem"

    This is really getting to be a pet peeve of mine. If you do something for me and I respond, "Thank you." the proper response is not

    "Not a problem."

    WTF is that? What happened to "you're welcome"?

    It comes across as a totally inappropriate response to my appreciating something you did. I didn't ask if it was a problem. Matter of fact, I don't care if it was a problem. Why do so many people respond to a courteous statement like "Thank you" with "Not a problem"? If I'm being courteous to you, don't come back with something stupid like that.

    I just got that twice this morning. Once at work and once while I was getting coffee before work.

    Am I the only one that finds that a discourteous and stupid response to "Thank you"?

    For some reason, it's getting to be a grating pet peeve of mine.

  2. #2
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    I usually say "you're welcome." Except it comes out "Y'welcum."
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  3. #3
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    I will occasionally say 'no problem'.

  4. #4
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    I think you need to unwind a little.

    Yesterday I was at the grocery store and I was next in line when a man came up and placed a pack of gum on the counter in front of me. So I said, "Are you only getting the gum?" And he turned and looked at me like I was crazy and said indignantly, "Yes." Now, normally I would have said something more, but I let it go. The cashier was more incensed than me and said, "You handled that well. That's a big pet peeve of mine." That I can understand. The "Not a problem" thing is small potatoes. By the way, this is the second time this has happened to me in the past couple of months. The first time I did say something.

  5. #5
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    Just for the record, I've always considered "no problem" to be nearly the same as "Y'welcum." I don't think it should be taken literally.

    I think it's supposed to mean they enjoyed doing it, as in, they like helping out....
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  6. #6
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think you need to unwind a little.

    Yesterday I was at the grocery store and I was next in line when a man came up and placed a pack of gum on the counter in front of me. So I said, "Are you only getting the gum?" And he turned and looked at me like I was crazy and said indignantly, "Yes." Now, normally I would have said something more, but I let it go. The cashier was more incensed than me and said, "You handled that well. That's a big pet peeve of mine." That I can understand. The "Not a problem" thing is small potatoes. By the way, this is the second time this has happened to me in the past couple of months. The first time I did say something.
    Just wondering... what do you do for a living? You seem to be intelligent and perceptive, I always figured you for a doctor. Maybe even a psychiatrist.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  7. #7
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it's supposed to mean they enjoyed doing it, as in, they like helping out....
    That's my interpretation as well.

  8. #8
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,061
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think you need to unwind a little.

    Yesterday I was at the grocery store and I was next in line when a man came up and placed a pack of gum on the counter in front of me. So I said, "Are you only getting the gum?" And he turned and looked at me like I was crazy and said indignantly, "Yes." Now, normally I would have said something more, but I let it go. The cashier was more incensed than me and said, "You handled that well. That's a big pet peeve of mine." That I can understand. The "Not a problem" thing is small potatoes. By the way, this is the second time this has happened to me in the past couple of months. The first time I did say something.

    Did the man cut in front of you?

    I agree with you here. There is no use or any reason to get mad about things that you cannot control. People will talk they way that they want to.

  9. #9
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    Quote Originally Posted by Stryder
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did the man cut in front of you?
    Yes, there was a woman in front of me and she was finishing and the cashier was just about to ring me up when the man stepped in front of me and put his pack of gum on the counter in front of my items. Unbelievable.

  10. #10
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,822

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think you need to unwind a little.

    Yesterday I was at the grocery store and I was next in line when a man came up and placed a pack of gum on the counter in front of me. So I said, "Are you only getting the gum?" And he turned and looked at me like I was crazy and said indignantly, "Yes." Now, normally I would have said something more, but I let it go. The cashier was more incensed than me and said, "You handled that well. That's a big pet peeve of mine." That I can understand. The "Not a problem" thing is small potatoes. By the way, this is the second time this has happened to me in the past couple of months. The first time I did say something.
    bulletproof would've ripped into him. Harmonica just lets it go...... ......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  11. #11
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,822

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just wondering... what do you do for a living? You seem to be intelligent and perceptive, I always figured you for a doctor. Maybe even a psychiatrist.
    Not sure what he does exactly, but it seems like I remember a discussion some time ago that he was some sort of medical specialist and Donnie Walsh was a patient.......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  12. #12
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: "Not a problem"



    Man, you never forget anything...
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  13. #13
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,628

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    I say "No Problem" often in place of "You're Welcome".

    I use it to mean exactly like Soup said, "I think it's supposed to mean they enjoyed doing it, as in, they like helping out...."

    But, that's exactly what I think I mean when I say "You're Welcome", too.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  14. #14
    Well lubricated Skaut_Ech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I say "No Problem" often in place of "You're Welcome".

    I use it to mean exactly like Soup said, "I think it's supposed to mean they enjoyed doing it, as in, they like helping out...."

    But, that's exactly what I think I mean when I say "You're Welcome", too.
    Then why don't you guys say, "my pleasure", which is another polite response? "No problem" doesn't strike me as a courteous response.

    I think "no problem" is some kind of trendy, new response, but it still doesn't make sense to me. It doesn't seem appropriate.

    To me, "no problem" says "you didn't inconvenience me, hence it was no problem." For me, it's like saying, "you're welcome since you didn't trouble me."

    It really isn't that big a deal to me, honest, but it IS irritating. It's like, how far away from basic english language are we going to stray for the sake of trendy, or a deviation for no reason.

    -Was it hard fixing my sparkplugs?

    -No problem

    -Thanks for doing a good job.

    -You're welcome

    Now, that exchange makes sense to me.

    (Okay, am I sounding totally anal or what? )

  15. #15
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,061
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Then why don't you guys say, "my pleasure", which is another polite response? "No problem" doesn't strike me as a courteous response.

    I think "no problem" is some kind of trendy, new response, but it still doesn't make sense to me. It doesn't seem appropriate.

    To me, "no problem" says "you didn't inconvenience me, hence it was no problem." For me, it's like saying, "you're welcome since you didn't trouble me."

    It really isn't that big a deal to me, honest, but it IS irritating. It's like, how far away from basic english language are we going to stray for the sake of trendy, or a deviation for no reason.

    -Was it hard fixing my sparkplugs?

    -No problem

    -Thanks for doing a good job.

    -You're welcome

    Now, that exchange makes sense to me.

    (Okay, am I sounding totally anal or what? )
    Freud would say you probably had difficulty in your potty-training stage of life.



    But it's all good. It's what makes the world go 'round. Diversity and difference of opinion/thought, that is...

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,257

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Then why don't you guys say, "my pleasure", which is another polite response? "No problem" doesn't strike me as a courteous response.

    I think "no problem" is some kind of trendy, new response, but it still doesn't make sense to me. It doesn't seem appropriate.

    To me, "no problem" says "you didn't inconvenience me, hence it was no problem." For me, it's like saying, "you're welcome since you didn't trouble me."

    It really isn't that big a deal to me, honest, but it IS irritating. It's like, how far away from basic english language are we going to stray for the sake of trendy, or a deviation for no reason.

    -Was it hard fixing my sparkplugs?

    -No problem

    -Thanks for doing a good job.

    -You're welcome

    Now, that exchange makes sense to me.

    (Okay, am I sounding totally anal or what? )
    I agree with others above that you ought to relax. It's just an insignificant figure of speech. Now if the exchange went like this:

    You: "Thank You",

    Other guy: "(says nothing)"...

    I can see being upset about that.

    or

    You: "Thank You",

    Other guy: "hmmph...."

    That is kind of rude.

    but

    You: "Thank you",

    Other guy: "no problem"

    is perfectly polite and acceptable. There is no disprespect intended. I guess you might want to judge the tone of the "no problem", but in general I would think it is positive pleasant response.

    Often I replace the greeting "Hello", with "How are you". I wonder if people think I'm I jerk. Usually, I don't care how a person is, It is just a figure of speech and a habit that I have.

    Go have have a drink or something. You need to unwind.

  17. #17
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    I do not think "No problem" is a deviation from the English language, but I know what you meant... I think.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  18. #18
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    Does a lack of enunciation **** anyone here off.... because it really does me. I think the word, I say the word, but it still comes out garbled.

    I am grateful that I don't have a lithp, though.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  19. #19
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,822

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    Here's something I found on a blog while googling this topic:

    OK, I used to be a sucker for all those stupid relationship self-help books. In the Mars and Venus ones, the author says that men LOVE hearing "no problem" but women do not. To a woman, it is exactly like one of your commenters said, "so there was a a problem to begin with?" but for men, it's like saying "Yes, I was happy to do that for you. Feel free to ask again."

    Be a man, Skaut!
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  20. #20
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    bulletproof would've ripped into him. Harmonica just lets it go...... ......
    So maybe there is hope for Ron then. Next time a cup is thrown, maybe he'll just let it go.

  21. #21
    Well lubricated Skaut_Ech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here's something I found on a blog while googling this topic:

    OK, I used to be a sucker for all those stupid relationship self-help books. In the Mars and Venus ones, the author says that men LOVE hearing "no problem" but women do not. To a woman, it is exactly like one of your commenters said, "so there was a a problem to begin with?" but for men, it's like saying "Yes, I was happy to do that for you. Feel free to ask again."

    Be a man, Skaut!
    LOL...well, I did get a pretty high score on the "Gay or not" thread!

  22. #22

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    I use both "You're welcome" and "No problem". Depends on the situation. I don't think that when I say "No problem" I mean it in a flippant way or is meant to demean the "Thank you" but I can understand why you would have a pet peeve about that. Odd though, I'm generally polite to a fault with strangers even going so far as to thank the guy at 7-11 whose primitive math skills caused me to wait in line twice as long as I normally would have had to at the end of our exchange. I think that's a midwestern thing or maybe just something with upbringing like learning some humility at a younger age which I never really noticed until I moved here. It's not often that I hear other people do that and when I do hear it it's usually from someone I know who happens to also be from the Midwest. Dunno, an observation, got sidetracked.

    Thank you for starting this thread

  23. #23
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,044

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    For what it's worth I agree with Scott . . . and so do all my lady friends.

  24. #24
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,822

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    So I come out of my local Burger King after lunch this afternoon, get into my car and turn the key. Click-click-click. Won't start.

    Get out, look under the hood. Nothing I can really do. Don't know why I even did that. Shut the hood, try it again. Same thing.

    Start walking across the parking lot to the Village Pantry to use the phone when a guy calls out, "Hey, you need a jump?"

    I say, "Yeah, I think so. Do you have any cables?"

    He does, so we push my car out of the parking space so we can jump it. Starts right up. After I take off the cables, I go up to him and say, "Thanks a lot. I really appreciate the help" and shake his hand.

    "No problem...no problem," he replies.

    I punch him square in the nose, get in my car and drive to Pep Boys to see what's wrong with my car......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  25. #25
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: "Not a problem"

    Aren't your fists considered lethal weapons, muscle boy?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •