Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ESPN saying that Larry Brown is going to take the Cleveland team prez job...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: ESPN saying that Larry Brown is going to take the Cleveland team prez job...

Quote Originally Posted by ImCrazyB
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess that 5-6 month coaching time didn't work for the teams he had prior to the Pistons.
    Huh?

You expected him to win a championship with the Clippers? Or the Sixers? I wasn't aware he had all these great teams to work with.

Does only winning one title not make him a great coach? Look at the teams he was on!

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: ESPN saying that Larry Brown is going to take the Cleveland team prez job...

Why does everyone think LB is such a coaching genious?

The dolt couldn't even make our Olympic team win and didn't give any of the best players any good PT. He coached a Pistons team that had its foundation set up the year before he arrived..The Pistons were destined to be a great team whether it be with Larry Brown or whoever they hired.

Even if there is a dead-line..You need to decline that if your team is currently on a championship run. LB could have just said, Thanks but No Thanks and requested that the Cavs wait til after the playoffs to handle this...Either way, I'd be pretty mad if I was a Piston fan.
    Don't feel sorry for Pistons fans. You knew this going in with Brown, and actually it may be good timing for him to go out. Brown won us a championship, so he's pretty much off the hook as far as I'm concerned. I figured Brown and Dumars would amicably part ways whenever the Pistons season ended after all of this.

And Brown holds enough respect amongst his peers for his coaching ability that he'd probably be considered the best in the league. Pistons are getting a downgrade no matter who steps in.

Quote Originally Posted by shags
    Don't feel sorry for Pistons fans. You knew this going in with Brown, and actually it may be good timing for him to go out. Brown won us a championship, so he's pretty much off the hook as far as I'm concerned. I figured Brown and Dumars would amicably part ways whenever the Pistons season ended after all of this.

And Brown holds enough respect amongst his peers for his coaching ability that he'd probably be considered the best in the league. Pistons are getting a downgrade no matter who steps in.
    Agreed.

Say what you will about brown, but he did what we hired him for. Not many coaches can say that. We can part ways with him on good terms.

I didn't want brown back next year anwyay; I've said this all season: He wan't going to last another year with these same players.

And we can no longer afford to sit our #2 overall pick on the bench.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

ImCrazyB

Well I'm not about to get out of shape about this. I should be happy...Two Division rivals now weaker. ;o)

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    First of all, Larry's coaching takes 5-6 months to really work. he's not a quick-fix coach. He was a poor choice for the olympics.

ALso, notice how EVERY PLAYER ON THAT TEAM had a great season this year. As I said, his coaching takes time to pay off.
    I noticed that too. The young players especially, LeBron, Wade, Amare, Carmelo, even Okafor was better than expected. That's at least in part to working with Larry Brown for a month.

Rick Carlisle would have done a much, much, much, MUCH better job coaching the Olympic team than Larry Brown. Mike D'Antoni is the best choice for the 2006 job, but Carlisle would be a good choice too, IMO.

The only two available coaches who could step into the Pistons situation and not miss a beat are Pat Riley and Phil Jackson.

canyoufeelit

Phil Jackson would miss a beat. He would try to install his triangle which takes about 2 years for the players to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by canyoufeelit
    Phil Jackson would miss a beat. He would try to install his triangle which takes about 2 years for the players to learn.

Lakers won the championship in Phil's first year.

canyoufeelit

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    Lakers won the championship in Phil's first year.
    They also had Shaq playing at a level so high that nobody could have beaten them. The team didn't really know the triangle until the 2001 run, and the offense was run to perfection in the playoffs resulting in that 15-1 unfrigginbeatable buzzsaw.

You know, I was thinking, if Bo Schembechler ran the Detroit Pistons . . .

:dreaming:

Larry: "Bo, I've been given a deadline by Cleveland. I've decided to take this little president of basketball operations job. Now, don't worry, Bo, I'll coach the team through the end of the year, and . . "

Bo: "THE HELL YOU WILL!!! A Piston man is coaching this team."

Bo: "Now Gar, Larry's decided to quit on us. Coach them the rest of the way, and do the best you can, and let's win us another championship."

Gar: "I'll try, Bo."

Game 4

Heat 97
    Pistons 81

Game 5

Pistons 79
    Heat 106

eak:

Guess not all stories have a happy ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    No, because the Pistons gave the Cavs permission contact LB
    Also, it would not be considered tampering as it is looked at as a promotion from Head Coach to President-which of course it is. The NBA, I believe, has that rule in place but most commonly you hear about it from the NFL. That is why Mike Brown was named Associate Head Coach because it was a promotion of sorts from his ***'t. position with the Spurs.

But to contact during a season is against any professional courtesy, unless of course the team asks for and gives permission. And Dumars seems like the guy who would say OK if the person he was employing said he was interested.

Good points BigMac

I think Larry Brown's health has a lot do to with him getting out of coaching. If he had no health issues, he would be coaching somewhere next season

Larry Brown overrated as a coach? He is a great coach. I think he has only had about 3 losing seasons in like 25 years of coaching and for the most part he took over teams that were struggling franchises and made them better. IMO his true genius is he teaches the fundamentals during practice and he pays great attention to the small nuances of the game. Like KStat mentioned he didn't have time to teach the Olympic players to adapt their games.

As a GM I'm guessing Lebron is going to have about 30-40 different teammates the next couple of seasons. LB isn't happy unless he is changing half the roster every 6 months. This is a guy that traded 1/3 of the 76ers roster when the team was 41-14. Charles Oakley once said something to the effect "If it ain't broke, don't break it." LB doesn't believe in that theory.

ImCrazyB

Quote Originally Posted by dipperdunk
    Larry Brown overrated as a coach? He is a great coach. I think he has only had about 3 losing seasons in like 25 years of coaching and for the most part he took over teams that were struggling franchises and made them better. IMO his true genius is he teaches the fundamentals during practice and he pays great attention to the small nuances of the game. Like KStat mentioned he didn't have time to teach the Olympic players to adapt their games.

As a GM I'm guessing Lebron is going to have about 30-40 different teammates the next couple of seasons. LB isn't happy unless he is changing half the roster every 6 months. This is a guy that traded 1/3 of the 76ers roster when the team was 41-14. Charles Oakley once said something to the effect "If it ain't broke, don't break it." LB doesn't believe in that theory.
    LB, Great Coach ... Horrible GM.

LB, Great Coach ... Horrible GM.
    Mobody said he WAS a good GM.

Graywolf_59

http://sportsline.com/nba/story/8520931

LB still denying the new's we all know is coming soon!?

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by kybjones
    This is exactly how his Kansas to San Antonio, San Antonio to LA, Indy to Philly, and Philly to Detroit moves went down. Substantiated rumours of leaving or flirting with the other team while still coaching the other team.

You shouldn't be shocked.

And for those whining about Brown's tendencies to bail, I'm not gonna go there. The man contributed too much to our rise from lottery regular/7th or 8th seed type team to one of the premier franchises in the league. Although he bailed on us in '97, he left us in far better shape than when he started.
    You left out his Indy-to-UCLA flirting about a month into "The Season We Do Not Discuss".

We were in better shape when he left us that when he started because DW didn't give him *carte blanche* over the roster. In fact, he even brought Mark Jackson back to the team after Larry 'bailed' (in spirit, but not physically) on the team. Larry Bird inherited a talented team that needed a little pick-me-up from thier coach, instead of the constant beratings they recieved from Brownie.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    Mobody said he WAS a good GM.
    Mobody, is that the opposite of nobody, as in "Mo' Body?"
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I don't see how he can still hold up his health being a GM either...

You still got a lot of stuff to do while being a GM.

Scouting, signing, re-signing, etc...
    AKA Sactolover05

Quote Originally Posted by Sactolover05
    I don't see how he can still hold up his health being a GM either...

You still got a lot of stuff to do while being a GM.

Scouting, signing, re-signing, etc...
    He won't be traveling to 50 away games over the course of 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter
    He won't be traveling to 50 away games over the course of 6 months.

But he's got to go away to about 50 highschool gyms...

I'm stretchin that number out.
    AKA Sactolover05

Quote Originally Posted by Sactolover05
    But he's got to go away to about 50 highschool gyms...

I'm stretchin that number out.
    I doubt he'd travel to a single highschool gym.

Larry's not a big believer in highschool players.