Thread: If I was JO or his coach...

Default If I was JO or his coach...

I would study, or have him study the play of Tim Duncan and Amare Stoudemire.

I was watching ESPN and they were talking about Amare saying how he's so good he's kinda a "freak". I'd kinda have to agree. Once I really started watching him I was blown away by his play. He's strong and seems to be quite smart on the court. When he gets the ball down low, he seems to erupt to the hoop for dunks. His timing is good. That leads me to Duncan. Duncan is a very smart player. His timing is what makes him so good. If he gets the ball down low, and he's double teamed, he patiently waits for the right moment to spring up and dunk. His passing is also great.

Now, don't get me wrong, I like O'neal, and when he's healthy and performing well, like in 2003/04, he's amazing. However, he can and does need to get better.

Anyway, I can't wait 'til next season. It's going to be really interesting to see what the roster looks like on opening day.
    :thepacers
    No Linking to your own site if it sells something.

Default Re: If I was JO or his coach...

Sure J.O can learn from TD, but he does not have the body Tim does, and he never will. J.O will never have the balance or wide base. He'll never have the speed of Amare. So I don't know if watching will really help his game

JO could study TD's footwork and his work on defense and learn a lot.

What's he gonna learn from Amare? That he isn't as fast and can't jump as high?
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

All he needs to do is learn how to box out
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

ahh.. The box out, one of the most overlooked yet, crucial parts of any defense, or offense for that matter.
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

canyoufeelit

I would fine him every time him isolated in the post results in him taking a jumpshot

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    JO could study TD's footwork and his work on defense and learn a lot.

What's he gonna learn from Amare? That he isn't as fast and can't jump as high?
    I agree that JO can learn from Duncan's defense - but I do think he can learn from his offense as well.

As for Amare, well JO may not be as fast, but he can still learn from his dedication. Amare worked really hard to improve his game over the last three years and it's really showing. I'm not suggesting that JO hasn't, but (like Reggie) you can go the extra mile to become really, really great. I just want to see that fire, that passion and commitment that I see from these guys.

There is something to be learned from everyone.

(BTW, if anyone hasn't taken the time to watch these guys, check out tonights game)

...and then there's Parker and Nash.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by canyoufeelit
    I would fine him every time him isolated in the post results in him taking a jumpshot
    Wish I had a dollar for every time this happened:

JO isolated with the ball, leaning on defender, back to basket

Bounce

Looks Left

Bounce Bounce

Looks Right

Bounce

Looks Left

Bounce Bounce

This is where JO "fools" his defender by using his patented spin move to the right, jumping while the defender pushes him back, releases the ball and - CLANG!!!

LA shouts at/throws something at/turns off TV in disgust.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Duncan is a highly skilled great player, but man he looks like he is in terrible shape. I've seen 50 year olds that look like they're in better shape.

I think Bruce disagrees.

"Just look at the flowers ...."

Hey, if he gets the job done...

You can add this to your scenario:

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    Wish I had a dollar for every time this happened:

JO isolated with the ball,

Bball says: "You know this is going up...

leaning on defender, back to basket

Bounce

Looks Left

Bball yells: "[Insert player name] is wide open! Pass him the ball"

Bounce Bounce

Looks Right

Bball yells: "[Insert player name] is still wide open and now so is [Insert player name #2]! Pass the ball"

Bounce

Looks Left

Bball yells: "Your triple teamed... For the love of God pass the ball!!!"

Bounce Bounce

This is where JO "fools" his defender by using his patented spin move to the right, jumping while the defender pushes him back, releases the ball and - CLANG!!!

LA shouts at/throws something at/turns off TV in disgust.

*Bball just hangs his head*
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop
    Duncan is a highly skilled great player, but man he looks like he is in terrible shape. I've seen 50 year olds that look like they're in better shape.

I think Bruce disagrees.

This is a really good point. I think that a lot of players aren't really doing the training that makes them the best player they can be but rather sculpting the most cut physique. But cut DOESN'T equel strong or fast. I mean, think about, say, Olympic weight lifters. Almost none of those guys are cut. Sprinters and marathon runners? Definitely not cut.

In fact, thinking about the Spurs, really nobody on that team is particularly cut. Not Parker or Ginobili or Barry or Nostervoic and certainly not Horry. Yet they've been the best defensive team -- for years. And they way more than hold their own on the boards. What's going on? Well, they spend their time working on footwork and jumpshooting. And they get into great NBA shape. Not great male runway model shape.

That's how Reggie thrived. I think there are a few Pacers who could learn that lesson.

JO really needs to not settle for his jumper. Develop a postgame...and not force the issue when it isn't there.
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Harmonica

Forget studying his game, JO needs to study Duncan's composure, leadership abilities and maturity. JO has his own skill sets, but if he could mimic Duncan in those areas, he'd be one of the greats.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    Forget studying his game, JO needs to study Duncan's composure, leadership abilities and maturity. JO has his own skill sets, but if he could mimic Duncan in those areas, he'd be one of the greats.
    Ding, Ding, Ding we have a winner !
    "Just look at the flowers ...."

JO 4 MVP
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    He could definitely learn from Duncan's maturity - no doubt about it.

3ptmiller

All JO needs to learn from those players is something that is called "in and out" passing... Pass the ball when you are in danger by double teams and dont force the shot, just simply pass the ball to an open player for a shot or he will pass u back and u will not be double teamed anymore... then just turnaround and BOOM... simple. Thats all JO needs to learn, i know he doesnt need to "learn".. but just do it damnit!

Forgive me if I've told this story before. I lived in San Antonio for a year, and when I was there I went to eat at a Chinese restaurant with some Chinese people. Not a particularly fancy or expensive place, but good food. Anyway, my friends got into a conversation with the owner. He told them that before big games, Duncan often ate there. He said he always ordered the same thing (the Triple Delight). He would come in, usually alone, be seated in a quiet corner. The guy said he just ate and thought. He would sign an autograph at approached, but he mostly just wanted peace to think about the game.

Not exactly the image of most NBA players!