Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Brown Talking Contract With Cavs

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Mike Brown Talking Contract With Cavs

According to Stephen A. Smith, they are talking about financial numbers now, and is really almost final that he'll be their next coach.

This was on ESPNEWS. Well this sucks if true.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Default Re: Mike Brown Talking Contract With Cavs

Good for him. He will be missed by the Pacers obviously, but he deserves to be a head coach. Sucks its in the same division though.
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

PCC87

Mike Brown deserves to be a head coach definately.But he deserves a better team then the Cavs.The Pacers coaching staff won't be the same.

Mood

Good for him.

Bad for us.

For starters, our defense will become less flexible. Brown liked to throw zones to give the other team different looks, but AFAIK Rick and Kevin while in Detroit never did that. Maybe that won't matter, but I liked the idea of trying anything that might work every now and then.

Past that, he was largely considered a "players coach", particularly close to Stephen Jackson. Great, one LESS person in this organization who can reel these guys in. This may also cause Rick (and Kevin?) to wear the players out more if there's no coach "on their side" during the long season. Maybe we pick up Michael Curry as an assistant to be the new "player's coach" ? Dunno.

I want to say this before Brown is possibly gone.

I am not a big fan of assistant coaches moving over one seat and becoming the head coach. It is a very different job and I think it makes it more diffcult for the players and the assistant turned head coach. I think that is one reason why DW did not hire Rick in 2000.

So if we assume Rick coaches the Pacers two more seasons, I would be very leery of having Brown move over to the head coaching role.

Mood

Yeah, I guess that's my hope now: That for whatever reason he's done with the Cavs the same time Rick is with us, and he comes back.

I think Curry will become the defensive coach but thats just me

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I'm not going to cry over this. In fact, I take it as a point of pride for our organization, just as I took it as a point of pride when Rick went to the Pistons.

We can get another assistant. In fact, I can think of a skinny 39 year old recent retiree that could foot the bill.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

reggie has never expressed interest in coaching. but who knows, maybe he would in the future.

mark jackson seems to be looking for a coaching gig; maybe pacers would give him a look. i agree that michael curry is a possibility.

anyway, it's great for the cavs - i've felt this season that they were underachievers, mike brown would surely do better. and of course, it's a great opportunity for brown as well.

Where's Dick Harter now? I'd try to re-unite him and Rick, like when he and Rick were LB's assistants.

Edit-A quick Google search tells me that he was on O'Brien's staff in Philly. Don't know what this means for him with Mo Cheeks there now, maybe he IS available.

Mood

That'd be sweet to get Harter back.

#13 Mark Jackson. I feel pretty strongly he will be our new assistant.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "It's a league game, Smokey"

Harter would be nice.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Maybe it would be good for our squad to get an "assistant" more in name than in fact. What I mean is I think we could use a former player who could act as a bridge between the players and the coaching staff and who the both sides can really trust, with whom the players can talk there irritations with and who could sort of be the player looking from the bench and who has the respect of the players and thus can also point them on their faults and their responseabilities during a game.

This person doesn't have to be an X and O kind of guy, but more a charismatic former player who the players WILL listen to. Mark and Reggie fit the bill, even though Reggie has said he doesn't want to coach, but can you really call this coaching in the traditional way. I see it much more of a mix between a mental coach and a leadership figure who could keep some of the fiery characters on our team in line.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Dick Harter 4tw!

Unfortunately, a guy like Mike Brown doesn't come along very often. Just as unfortunate, a guy like him deserves to be a head coach which is our loss. I do think it will be felt within the team structure. It will be interesting to see who we get. Hmm - Mark Jackson here and Reggie replacing him on TV????
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Well O'Neill will take over Brown's spot. Pistons defense was not too bad when he was in charge of the defebse for two years.
    I'm more than fine with O'Neill running the defense.

The only problem I see has nothing to do with X' & O's or any stategy. I worry about Brown's approachability being gone. Rick and Kevin are as smart as any coahces in the NBA.

Dick Harter will not come here. He'll want to run the defense and O'Neill is going to do that.

Pacers need to look for someone who is a coach who relates well to players.

Unless Brown wants too much money, looks like he the new coach of the Cleveland Cavs

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plai...010.xml&coll=2

appears Indiana Pacers assistant Mike Brown will be the next Cavaliers head coach. Two sources familiar with the situation said Friday night that Brown and the Cavs are negotiating on a contract.

The Cavs interviewed Brown earlier in the week and the sources said the team was impressed. Brown, 35, has spent the last two years as Indiana coach Rick Carlisle's top assistant. Brown, who came to Indiana after three years as an assistant in San Antonio, is responsible for a Pacers' defense that finished sixth in the league in points allowed.

Brown said earlier this week that a head-coaching position is a major goal. The news on Brown comes the same day Memphis John Calipari said he was not interested in the Cavs' job.

"It has always been a dream of mine," Brown said. "I love the game of basketball and I think the ultimate thing is winning a championship and the next thing is running your own team."

Brown is considered one of the NBA's top young assistant coaches. He also interviewed last season for the Atlanta head-coaching position that eventually went to Mike Woodson. It looks like Brown's time has finally arrived and Charlotte coach Bernie Bickerstaff is happy for his former assistant. Brown joined the Wizards in 1997 as an assistant to Bickerstaff.

"There's no doubt about it that he deserves this shot," said Bickerstaff, about the Cavs' opening. "The confidence they showed in him in Indiana by making him the associate coach under Carlisle is a compliment in itself. Mike is a hard worker and he just needs the opportunity."

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has no doubt in Brown's ability as a head coach.

"He has a great knowledge of the game and a great passion for the game at both ends of the court," Popovich said to reporters Thursday in San Antonio. "

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I want to say this before Brown is possibly gone.

I am not a big fan of assistant coaches moving over one seat and becoming the head coach. It is a very different job and I think it makes it more diffcult for the players and the assistant turned head coach. I think that is one reason why DW did not hire Rick in 2000.

So if we assume Rick coaches the Pacers two more seasons, I would be very leery of having Brown move over to the head coaching role.
    *cough*PhilJackson*cough*

*bigcough*PatRiley*bigcough*

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    *cough*PhilJackson*cough*

*bigcough*PatRiley*bigcough*

Pat Riley was in the TV booth

woman without a team

http://www.nba.com/lakers/history/la...ry_new.html#19

Owner Jerry Buss fired Coach Paul Westhead after the Lakers went 7-4 to start the 1981-82 season. Buss promoted Assistant Coach Pat Riley, a former Lakers backup point guard, to head coach on November 19, and the team won 17 of its next 20 games.

Besides that, everybody hit my points already.

- Defense will be less flexible next year
    - No question whatsoever O'Neill takes over the defense and becomes top assistant
    - player relations will be a problem

Jack is the biggest concern, because he's affected by all 3 of those. He's tight with Brown, but regardless, he gives every indication he needs a babysitter. And his defensive foundation is based on gambling on D. Mike encouraged that. O'Neill, to say the least, will not.

I am completely and totally against Curry becoming an assistant. All he's gonna do is be a yes-man to Rick and Kevin. He was a pariah in the Toronto locker room for basically being O'Neill's narc. He was fine here in limited duty, but I don't want him here full time. We need someone to counter balance Rick and Kevin, not cow-tow to them 24/7.

I'd be okay with Mark, but there are two problems with that. One, he thinks he should be a head coach. Will he settle for being the third assistant? And two, I go back to the Bird years, where Mark was Larry's guy and Travis was Rick's. If Reggie was still here, Mark may overlook that, but now that he's not, I don't see him wanting to work for Carlisle.

We need to face facts. We're not getting a Harter/Rothstein/Malone-type guy, because O'Neill already fills that role. And we're not gonna get a future star like Mike was, or Jax might be, because they're not gonna want to be the third assistant.

So, ask yourself. What do we need? IMO, we need someone good with the players, which means he can't be a yes-man to Rick and Kevin, because he's gonna have to be a buffer between them and the players. We also could use someone who is a former player of at least decent ability (IOW, not a bench warmer like Carlisle), who can teach by example and focus on player development, a role we've sorely missed since Mark Aguirre left. Plus, wouldn't it be nice if this guy not only had prior coaching experience, but already knew our players, knew how complex our roster is emotionally, and even had a good relationship already with our players?

Okay, raise your hand if you see where I'm going. (Hint, Jay has his hand raised, even though he probably doesn't agree with me.)

The slam dunk hire is...

Chuck Person.

Okay, flame away if you like. But name somebody better we can get, keeping in mind we're not gonna be able to hire another current assistant away from somebody else with the associate head coach title. Rick would never disrepect O'Neill like that.

Now, Jay has said he's better being in the front office. Maybe that's true. But he's already become the defacto replacement to Aguirre where player development is concerned. He knows our guys inside and out. Hell, he was the one who got Ron off the floor in Detroit. We absolutely, positively need somebody who we know will be good with our players and who they will respect. Provided the answer to that question is yes, behind closed doors away from what we see, where can you go wrong with Chuck?

I really can't see anything wrong with this. Feel free to correct me if I'm missing something.

Isnt Chuck very good with the our players? I read somewhere before that he works with JO in practice all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    Isnt Chuck very good with the our players? I read somewhere before that he works with JO in practice all the time.
    He works with alot of our guys. During the season and the summer as well. He's also worked with Fever players. When Donnie first hired him, long story short, he single-handedly turned the Fever from the worst 3pt-shooting team in the league to to the best by working with our guards on their shot for a couple months.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    He works with alot of our guys. During the season and the summer as well. He's also worked with Fever players. When Donnie first hired him, long story short, he single-handedly turned the Fever from the worst 3pt-shooting team in the league to to the best by working with our guards on their shot for a couple months.
    Then I wouldnt mind it at all if he was hired. We need a guy who is good with the players cause thats what Mike was, he was great with the players and it always seemed that players went to Mike before they even went to Rick so we need someone who would be good with them.