Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stan Van Gundy says Detroit's crowd is nasty

Default Re: Stan Van Gundy says Detroit's crowd is nasty

Quote Originally Posted by efx
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've been to a boatload of Knicks games in the Garden and I've sat everywhere from the nosebleeds to almost courtside to the vip lounges. I have to hand to the knicks fans, they really love their team even when they've been sucking for so long now.

Yeah, it's expensive but the fans here are very knowledgable.
    I agree with that - I was thinking more of fans yelling racial slurs at players, etc.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The good die young.....Pricks live forever !!!
    Long live Lewis Black.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Kstat, you are waaayy to sharp. Good read !!

I would rather be the hammer than the nail

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    all I can remember, was Ben guarded JO more than Rasheed did the next game, and he completely embarrased him. On 2 or 3 posessions, he stole the ball right out of his hands. And every time he would take the ball from JO, the TNT guys mentioned JO's comments about Ben not being a good man defender. I have it on tape.
    I seem to remember a play in which JO got the ball in the low post, backed into Ben a few times, and dunked right on top of him. (Can't remember which game, though)

Isolated examples aside, Jermaine does usually score at a pretty even pace when Ben guards him. Jermaine usually just shoots over him.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Also ironic Van Gundy said what he said considering this.

April 6, 2005

BY LACY J. BANKS Staff Reporter
    Advertisement

MIAMI -- Even with center Shaquille O'Neal sidelined by a stomach virus, the Miami Heat had enough firepower Tuesday night to snap the short-handed Bulls' season-high, nine-game win streak.

Dwyane Wade equaled his career high with a game-high 39 points to lead the Heat to a 104-86 rout. Damon Jones added 17 points and Eddie Jones 15.

Ben Gordon and Andres Nocioni paced the Bulls with 14 points apiece. But Nocioni almost triggered an incident similar to the fiasco between the Indiana Pacers and the Detroit Pistons earlier this season when he applied a hard foul against Wade with 2:52 left in the game.

Nocioni hacked Wade to stop a shot attempt and then followed through by pushing Wade to the floor. He drew a flagrant foul and a technical foul and Bulls coach Scott Skiles sent him into the locker room apparently for his own good.

Some fans threw drinks at Nocioni. Udonis Haslem was ejected from the game for pushing Nocioni into the crowd in retaliation.

"It was all my fault -- just a hard foul,'' Nocioni said. "But it was rather stupid on my part because the game was over. I don't know why Haslem pushed me. But that's OK. I [had no] time to apologize. But I apologize to him now for myself and for everybody because it's bad for the game and bad for me. I hope it doesn't keep me from playing [tonight] because we need everybody and each game is so important. That's why my foul was so stupid.''

The victory clinched home-court advantage for the Heat in the Eastern Conference.

"Our next stop is to finish with the best record in the NBA,'' said Jones, who broke Tim Hardaway's Heat record for three-pointers in a season. "We won't be satisfied until we can assure ourselves of home-court advantage in the Finals, too.''

The Bulls were playing the Heat without Eddy Curry, Luol Deng and Othella Harrington.

Before the game, Bulls coach Scott Skiles was not that much consoled by the absence of O'Neal.

"Whether Shaq plays or doesn't play, it doesn't change a whole lot for us,'' Skiles said. "We were hurt by Alonzo Mourning early in the season when he played for New Jersey. He came in and had a big game against us. [Michael] Doleac brings a different dimension. We're short-handed anyway. I'd rather play the Heat with my team at full strength and their team at full strength and see what would happen. But with Shaq out, we're going to get a bigger dose of Wade and Doleac. They become a different team but a very, very good team.''

Rookie center Jared Reiner was activated off the injury list right into the starting lineup because Skiles preferred to have 7-1 Tyson Chandler bring his defensive energy off the bench.

"I've been waiting for this a long time,'' Reiner said of his first pro start. "If I can get my first shot in, I'll be all right.''

Reiner finished with four points in 13 minutes.

After Nocioni gave the Bulls a 2-0 lead on a short jumper, the Heat scored 10 unanswered points, grabbing the lead on the first of Jones' five three-pointers in the first half. Gradually, the Heat extended its lead to 38-24 at the end of the first quarter. Jones and Wade led the way with 12 and 11 points, respectively, as the Heat shot 80 percent from the field to the Bulls' 34.6 percent.

The Heat extended the lead to 64-44 at halftime. Wade, Jones and Haslem lead the way with 17, 15 and 12 points, respectively. Chandler led the Bulls with 11 points.

Skiles went small with a three-guard attack trying to out-quick the bigger Heat. That worked well enough to draw the Bulls within 11 points to start the fourth. But seven unanswered Heat points had Skiles calling time with 9:10 left in the game and his team down 90-72.

Except for the altercation between Wade and Nocioni, the Heat cruised to the easy victory.

canyoufeelit

Don't even compare that to the brawl, man. Fans throw stuff all the time, doesn't matter where. The reason why nothing like that happens is because psycho boy can only play for one team.

Quote Originally Posted by canyoufeelit
    Don't even compare that to the brawl, man. Fans throw stuff all the time, doesn't matter where. The reason why nothing like that happens is because psycho boy can only play for one team.
    I must presume you mean Ben Wallace !!!

I would rather be the hammer than the nail

It seems to be the way Detroit collectively "defends" their nasty side: Point out everyone else's dirt to deflect the gaze. Own up, or shut up.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Something about Stan Van Gundy irritates me in epic proportions. I just don't like the man. What he says about Detroit may be true and he may be a good coach, but I still think he's a whiny b*tch. Don't forget he spends every press conference after each Heat/Pacers game complaining about how much we "get away with." So screw SVG. I'm not about to jump on his bandwagon anytime soon.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

all I can remember, was Ben guarded JO more than Rasheed did the next game, and he completely embarrased him. On 2 or 3 posessions, he stole the ball right out of his hands. And every time he would take the ball from JO, the TNT guys mentioned JO's comments about Ben not being a good man defender. I have it on tape.
    Ben was the reason JO played so bad? Huh, news to me. I guess I must of misread all the threads on JO for the past month or so. For some reason my take was that he was playing awful, and wasn't anywhere close to playing like he used too. Guess they were really saying that Ben was such a strong defender that JO worried about him even while Ben was on the bench.

Darko could of made JO embarassed. Not much thunder in your statement when a guy was struggling massively.

Quote Originally Posted by obnoxiousmodesty
    Something about Stan Van Gundy irritates me in epic proportions. I just don't like the man. What he says about Detroit may be true and he may be a good coach, but I still think he's a whiny b*tch. Don't forget he spends every press conference after each Heat/Pacers game complaining about how much we "get away with." So screw SVG. I'm not about to jump on his bandwagon anytime soon.
    He's definitely a whiner, generally speaking. Still think he was correct here , but no denying he likes to whine.

As for what bothers you about him, if it's not the whining, perhaps it's his escape from the Mushroom Kingdom?

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    I agree with that - I was thinking more of fans yelling racial slurs at players, etc.
    I've never heard of that. I think NY crowds can be rude but rascism is a very touchy subject here.

I've heard alot of crap coming out of fans mouths here but not racial slurs.

wow! Detroit fans nasty? I never would have known.
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    Ben was the reason JO played so bad? Huh, news to me. I guess I must of misread all the threads on JO for the past month or so. For some reason my take was that he was playing awful, and wasn't anywhere close to playing like he used too. Guess they were really saying that Ben was such a strong defender that JO worried about him even while Ben was on the bench.

Darko could of made JO embarassed. Not much thunder in your statement when a guy was struggling massively.
    JO just needs to keep his damn mouth shut. He can't say anything without it blowing up in his face.

IndyToad
    Create your own colors

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    I was just thinking about that as I read that thread............
    I'll own up to it. No problem.

The fans involved at the Palace on November 19th were despicable. As John Saunders said, "They were a bunch of punks." David Stern should have fined the Pistons $5 million, and no alcohol should have been sold in the Palace for the 4 games there between the Pistons and Pacers. He blew it there.

And Tom Wilson and the Palace blew it too. The guy who threw the cup and the guy who threw the chair should never be allowed back. But they should have identified all of those cowards who threw things or went after Pacers players as they were leaving and banned them for the year too. This isn't even mentioning the stupid comments he made right after the brawl. And the guy who threw the coin at Iverson should be gone for the 2005-2006 season too.

Since then, there have been 3 incidents between fans and players. 1 in the NBA, and 2 in baseball

Why did the Nocioni incident against the Heat barely cause any headlines?

Because Andres Nocioni didn't try to confront the fan in the stands.

Why did the Sheffield-Red Sox incident defuse and die after a week?

Because Gary Sheffield controlled himself, and didn't confront the fan in the stands.

Why did the Jason Giambi-A's fan incident, where the fan threw a beer on him, not escalate into something worse?

Because Jason Giambi didn't try to confront the fan in the stands.

Why is the Pacer-Piston brawl still being brought up by another coach 6 months after it happened?

Because Ron Artest, REPRESENTING THE INDIANA PACERS, went into the stands to confront the fan.

Own up to that.

Quote Originally Posted by shags
    Because Ron Artest, REPRESENTING THE INDIANA PACERS, went into the stands to confront the fan.

Own up to that.
    Shags, we don't have to because David Stern has already declared it was obviously all the Pacers fault.

Quote Originally Posted by shags
    I'll own up to it. No problem.

The fans involved at the Palace on November 19th were despicable. As John Saunders said, "They were a bunch of punks." David Stern should have fined the Pistons $5 million, and no alcohol should have been sold in the Palace for the 4 games there between the Pistons and Pacers. He blew it there.

And Tom Wilson and the Palace blew it too. The guy who threw the cup and the guy who threw the chair should never be allowed back. But they should have identified all of those cowards who threw things or went after Pacers players as they were leaving and banned them for the year too. This isn't even mentioning the stupid comments he made right after the brawl. And the guy who threw the coin at Iverson should be gone for the 2005-2006 season too.
    Thank you. My problem is, you're one of the few who's admitted as much since basically day 1 of all of this. The vast majority will throw us a bone if we prod them, but they never come out on their own to say it, and again, if they do, it's rare. Most spend 99% of the time deflecting. So again thank you for breaking the mold.

Since then, there have been 3 incidents between fans and players. 1 in the NBA, and 2 in baseball

Why did the Nocioni incident against the Heat barely cause any headlines?

Because Andres Nocioni didn't try to confront the fan in the stands.

Why did the Sheffield-Red Sox incident defuse and die after a week?

Because Gary Sheffield controlled himself, and didn't confront the fan in the stands.

Why did the Jason Giambi-A's fan incident, where the fan threw a beer on him, not escalate into something worse?

Because Jason Giambi didn't try to confront the fan in the stands.

Why is the Pacer-Piston brawl still being brought up by another coach 6 months after it happened?

Own up to that.
    I DO own up to that. A lot of us do. In fact, pretty much anybody who doesn't worship Ron as a false idol owns up to that. If Detroit owned up to its bad fans as often as we own up to Ron, and everything else this team did wrong, then I wouldn't even have made me earlier comments.

We took responsibility for our part, in more ways than one. We admitted we ****ed up, we took 99% of the punishment/blame, and we never made excuses. I can't say the same for Detroit and their nasty reputation. I'm talking beyond 11/19, by the way. That specific night, it was >= our fault.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

sorry, just got done watching game 4 of the 1967 ECF.

The game had to be stopped with 40 seconds left, because someone threw a firecracker at John Havelicek.

I love how time glosses over everything.....

In what other arena has someone had a firecracker thrown at him, really?

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    Ok, I know I said I would keep my mouth shut, but I do want to make one point.

By no means do I think the punishment is just, but Ben Wallace did get the longest suspension in NBA history for a shove.
    Yes, I agree that Ben Wallace did not deserve the suspension. IMHO it should have been one or two at the most. But as Shags pointed out I would be more inclined to believe the commish thought others (Detroit) were culpable as well if their had been some punishment applied to (not the Pistons) but the Palace.

I'm sorry for getting so defensive. I just hate having to defend myself as a Piston fan, because of the action of a few idiots.

We have owned up to everything that happened. But when will the NBA and MLB (usually stuff doesn't happen in the NFL, and the NHL isn't playing) own up to the fact that the crowds have been out of control for sometime now. Usually it is started by the fans. I've never seen one player run into the stands and attack someone for no reason. Remember, Artest wasn't the 1st player in the past 20 years to attack fans. Remember Mad Max? Remember last year with the Rangers, THROWING A CHAIR? Remember Dennis Rodman kicking camera guys? Fans have been out of control for sometime now...time for the NBA and MLB to own up and try to actually do something about it.
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

The game had to be stopped with 40 seconds left, because someone threw a firecracker at John Havelicek.

Exhibit A.

Five Pacers, seven fans charged in Palace brawl
    By Oscar Dixon, USA TODAY

Palace president Tom Wilson said all seven fans charged in the incident have been banned from the Palace. "We aren't saying that it is permanent, although it might be," he said. "It's definitely through the end of the season, and quite possibly beyond that."

Wilson said he doesn't feel that the incident is a reflection on the Pistons, the arena or the fans, and joked that it might have been just a case of cosmic revenge. Three teams owned by Bill Davidson the Pistons, Shock and Tampa Bay Lightning won league titles in a 10-month span of 2003-04.

"Maybe this was payback for winning three championships in a year," he said. "We've had 15 million people in this building, just for Pistons games, since it opened, and never had anything like this. It could have happened in any arena with the right guy throwing the right beverage at the right player."

I think the above section of the USA Today article points out exactly why Pacer fans were angry. Tom Wilson did not make any friends in Indiana (though he doesn't need to) when he stated the few idiot fans may or may not be banned for good. Also he joked because it maybe (bad karma) from winning so much. Bottom line is out of everyone involved Tom Wilson did not take any blame for HIS lack of leadership in this matter and Dave Stern let him get by with it.

In what other arena has someone had a firecracker thrown at him, really?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by RWB
    I think the above section of the USA Today article points out exactly why Pacer fans were angry. Tom Wilson did not make any friends in Indiana (though he doesn't need to) when he stated the few idiot fans may or may not be banned for good. Also he joked because it maybe (bad karma) from winning so much. Bottom line is out of everyone involved Tom Wilson did not take any blame for HIS lack of leadership in this matter and Dave Stern let him get by with it.
    That's because they're old friends. It was clearly a show of favortism.