Thread: A Bold Statement

Default A Bold Statement

I was watching NBA fastbreak after watching the re-run of the Suns/Spurs game, and it was said that Tim Duncan was the single greatest PF that the league has ever seen. I thought this was an interesting comment, I don't know if it's incorrect, or that I don't agree with it, it was just interesting.

Do you all feel this way about Duncan? If you don't who do you think is the greatest power forward?
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

foretaz

Default Re: A Bold Statement

duncan is truly a great player....its a tough argument...but when karl malone was in his prime-he was a monster...seemed almost unstoppable....and i couldnt stand him...but god did u have to respect him....

It's the first I've heard that argument. I guess it's debatable.

As foretaz pointed out there's Karl Malone. Without auguring which is better I would put them 1 and 2.

My all time team, again without arguing who is better. (grin)

PF] Malone/Duncan
    SF] Bird/Garnett
    C] Wilt/Shaq
    SG] Jordan/Miller
    PG] Magic/Oscar

Harmonica

duncan is truly a great player....its a tough argument...but when karl malone was in his prime-he was a monster...seemed almost unstoppable....and i couldnt stand him...but god did u have to respect him....

3ptmiller

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    It's the first I've heard that argument. I guess it's debatable.

As foretaz pointed out there's Karl Malone. Without auguring which is better I would put them 1 and 2.

My all time team, again without arguing who is better. (grin)

PF] Malone/Duncan
    SF] Bird/Garnett
    C] Wilt/Shaq
    SG] Jordan/Miller
    PG] Magic/Oscar
    Now thats a team!!

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

C....Wilt and then the rest

SF..Dr. J/Bird Garnett nah...who has he elevated?

PF...Malone/McAdoo.......McGinnis put the POWER into the Power Forward position but he did it mainly in the ABA....Duncan would be a close 3rd to McAdoo.

SG...Jordan/George Gervin/West

PG...Gary Payton in his prime/Frazier
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

I wil personally punch in the face anybody who mentions Bob McAdoo again.

Elvin Hayes, anyone? Bob Pettit? Kevin mchale?

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    I wil personally punch in the face anybody who mentions Bob McAdoo again.
    Strong feeling's huh?

It's not an argument on who's better, it's who Geezer would put on his team.

Well . . . my team was who I wanted, not exactly who I thought was best. I guess I shouldn't speak for the old one.

JO's better...

"GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Malone in his prime would be tough to argue with. But so would George McGinnis.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Bob Pettit was more dominant at that position than any player has been since.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

What About Dennis Rodman? Maybe he wasn't the greatest PF ever, but I've always held him pretty high. I really respect his defensive and rebounding abilities, I think that he was one of the players that realized that rebounds affect both ends of court greatly.Come on, 29 rebounds in one game!! Awesome, just awesome
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

canyoufeelit

Pretty tough. I think by the time Duncan's career is over he will be #1, but you still have to give the nod to Malone now. His career numbers are definitely pretty sick. And the Knick fan is just being silly by mentioning Pettit, great player, but Duncan would back him down ad nauseum while the Mailman would posterize him over and over again. It pretty much comes down to those two and it's too early to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by canyoufeelit
    And the Knick fan is just being silly by mentioning Pettit, great player, but Duncan would back him down ad nauseum while the Mailman would posterize him over and over again. It pretty much comes down to those two and it's too early to tell.
    And that doesn't change the fact that he was more dominant at PF during his playing days than Duncan or Malone ever were.

You're just being silly if you don't know that - who was 2nd best - Dolph Schayes? When he retired he was the NBA's all-time leading scorer and 2nd wasn't within 5,000 points.

And I don't doubt that Malone or Duncan would dominate him - what is he - 70? Heck, he may be dead for all I know. I'd hope you could dominate a dead guy.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

cariocapacer

Anyone ever heard of Elgin Baylor

Quote Originally Posted by cariocapacer
    Anyone ever heard of Elgin Baylor
    No, I've never heard of a power forward named elgin baylor.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

cariocapacer

A non power forward that averaged 19+ rebounds per game - yeah right

Is that your reason for believing he's a power forward? Seriously? Have you ever even seen him play once?

Nah, maybe you're right. I mean, Wilt Chamberlain was one of the all time great point guards, so why not? Since Wilt actually led the leagues in assists, he was obviously a point guard.

I must have missed all those great power forward plays Elgin made, what with him taking the ball on the wing and slashing to the hoop or pulling up for the jumper every other posession......

I definitely put Duncan a notch about Malone. One stat sets him apart: 2 time NBA Championship MVP. Some people say that championships alone don't make players great. They are right to a degree, but they do matter. And being far and away the best player on a team that does win a championship means something.

And one other small point: Malone is an ***, Duncan is most definitely not.

How is Karl Malone an ***?

Do Not Trade Austin

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by 8.9_seconds
    How is Karl Malone an ***?
    A book could be written. I'll let someone else write the synopsis, or simply find the link to that website that does the same thing.

Mood

It's so weird, I never ever noticed any of this, well thats not true;I always knew that Malone was a really agressive player, but I didn't know he was that heartless. On the other hand that article is pretty ANTI-malone, I mean if you put enough malice and negative words in an article, you can make anybody look like a heartless *******.

I was reading the part about the acting and the fouls, and it was quite reminiscent of our beloved Reggie Miller.

I'm not saying that I don't believe alot of this article, but I think that it may be blown out of proportion.

Even though I have alot of love for Malone, and always will, I can never forgive him for abadoning the Jazz.

Do Not Trade Austin