Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 56

Thread: Media Experiment

  1. #1
    Member MUpaceSIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,217

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Media Experiment

    What are your thoughts on doing a bit of an experiment regarding how the media works, and the ability for reports to influence team decision makers. What if someone we're to propose planting a "sourced" tweet like below? Would it spread? Would it grab enough attention to warrant front offices to actually consider making a competitive offer? I'm simply curious to find out how quickly something like this could spread if everyone re-tweeted it. Can fans flip the script on the media, and fight back with their own "sources"/really just opinions?

    Tweet:
    Sources confirm Lakers, Celtics, Sixers, Hawks, Blazers, Magic and Timberwolves are all contemplating offers for Paul George this offseason.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Blow it up BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    23,193

    Default Re: Media Experiment

    I guess it works with fake news. Why not fake tweets?
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

  3. #3
    Member MUpaceSIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,217

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Media Experiment

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess it works with fake news. Why not fake tweets?
    I'm just super curious if enough dedicated fans could influence the same way the media does. Almost did a paper on it in grad school, but chose something else.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    The Dude Abides pizza guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indy
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,505
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Media Experiment

    If you tweet it, I'll retweet it
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

  5. #5
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    5,537

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Media Experiment

    Quote Originally Posted by MUpaceSIC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What are your thoughts on doing a bit of an experiment regarding how the media works, and the ability for reports to influence team decision makers. What if someone we're to propose planting a "sourced" tweet like below? Would it spread? Would it grab enough attention to warrant front offices to actually consider making a competitive offer? I'm simply curious to find out how quickly something like this could spread if everyone re-tweeted it. Can fans flip the script on the media, and fight back with their own "sources"/really just opinions?

    Tweet:
    Sources confirm Lakers, Celtics, Sixers, Hawks, Blazers, Magic and Timberwolves are all contemplating offers for Paul George this offseason.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ah! A person after my own heart. If you're doing a paper, I'll participate. I'm pretty sure there was enough fake news against in the past several months.


    Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

  6. #6
    Member Eleazar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    10,184

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Media Experiment

    Quote Originally Posted by MUpaceSIC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm just super curious if enough dedicated fans could influence the same way the media does. Almost did a paper on it in grad school, but chose something else.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Simple answer is yes it is very possible. It is just a matter of reaching critical mass, which is the difficult part. It just goes back to the old saying, if you say a lie enough times people will start to believe it. If enough people say it, everyone will believe it, because how can a million people who agree on something be wrong? (They can be very very wrong.)

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  8. #7
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    57
    Posts
    16,803

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Media Experiment

    I look forward to the time that the tweet used in this experiment is quoted on PD as proof that the thing tweeted is happening...
    BillS

    A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

  9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  10. #8
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    5,537

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Media Experiment

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I look forward to the time that the tweet used in this experiment is quoted on PD as proof that the thing tweeted is happening...
    Well...at least we'll know it's fake news .


    Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

  11. #9
    Member RWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,884

    Default Re: Media Experiment

    Got to get it moving on Facebook too.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  12. #10
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    5,537

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Media Experiment

    Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Got to get it moving on Facebook too.
    Wait a minute. Are we REALLY planning on doing this, lol?


    Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

  13. #11
    Blow it up BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    23,193

    Default Re: Media Experiment

    Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wait a minute. Are we REALLY planning on doing this, lol?
    Just be sure to add the Russians. Paul is a two-way player. I'm sure they are interested in his unique double agent skills.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  15. #12
    Member MUpaceSIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,217

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Media Experiment

    https://twitter.com/theaaronhoff/sta...95995962339328

    Let the games begin...
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #13
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    5,537

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Media Experiment

    Quote Originally Posted by MUpaceSIC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://twitter.com/theaaronhoff/sta...95995962339328

    Let the games begin...
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You should put a hashtag in it.


    Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:


  18. #14

    Default Re: Media Experiment

    This is pretty funny. I gave you a retweet. But I think the big thing is that you aren't "verified'.

  19. #15
    Member MUpaceSIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,217

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Media Experiment

    Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You should put a hashtag in it.
    Unfortunately that was the literally the maximum that could be included. Unless hashtags don't count?

    Or someone can retweet it with a hashtag that everyone uses?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #16
    Member MUpaceSIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,217

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Media Experiment

    Quote Originally Posted by BornIndy07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is pretty funny. I gave you a retweet. But I think the big thing is that you aren't "verified'.
    Lol and never will be. I wonder if we retweet it enough for someone that is verified and gullible enough to retweet it. Maybe Rick Bucher? Hahaha


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. #17
    Whoo...What a year.. Guardshock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Terre Haute
    Posts
    671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Media Experiment

    Quote Originally Posted by MUpaceSIC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What are your thoughts on doing a bit of an experiment regarding how the media works, and the ability for reports to influence team decision makers. What if someone we're to propose planting a "sourced" tweet like below? Would it spread? Would it grab enough attention to warrant front offices to actually consider making a competitive offer? I'm simply curious to find out how quickly something like this could spread if everyone re-tweeted it. Can fans flip the script on the media, and fight back with their own "sources"/really just opinions?

    Tweet:
    Sources confirm Lakers, Celtics, Sixers, Hawks, Blazers, Magic and Timberwolves are all contemplating offers for Paul George this offseason.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm down. If you do it, I'll retweet it.
    Indiana State University Alum. Hardcore Pacers fan. Racecar Driver in need of sponsorship.

    www.jjhughesracing.com

  22. #18
    Member MUpaceSIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,217

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Media Experiment

    Quote Originally Posted by Guardshock View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm down. If you do it, I'll retweet it.

    Thanks man. The goal is to get some verified on Twitter to retweet it so it spreads. If not, it's not likely to leave this community even.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  23. #19
    The Dude Abides pizza guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indy
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,505
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Media Experiment

    Retweeted with hashtags for each team listed.
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:


  25. #20
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    27,740

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Media Experiment

    Wasn't something like this already done by some PDers back about 10 yrs ago with posting a fake Pacers trade rumor saying they heard it on a Canadian radio station?

    Obviously pre-twitter days.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  27. #21
    Whoo...What a year.. Guardshock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Terre Haute
    Posts
    671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Media Experiment

    Retweeted
    Indiana State University Alum. Hardcore Pacers fan. Racecar Driver in need of sponsorship.

    www.jjhughesracing.com

  28. #22
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    5,537

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Media Experiment

    Retweeted.


    Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

  29. #23

    Default Re: Media Experiment

    You "only" have 42 followers. Really need to find someone who has the most followers. People beleive people who are either verified or have a lot of followers.

    Also don't hashtag, you don't see the experts hash tagging. Nobody clicks hashtags, all you do is type in something in the search tab.

    If you had like 1,000+ followers that tweet would blow up.

  30. #24
    Member MUpaceSIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,217

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Media Experiment

    Quote Originally Posted by I Love P View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You "only" have 42 followers. Really need to find someone who has the most followers. People beleive people who are either verified or have a lot of followers.

    Also don't hashtag, you don't see the experts hash tagging. Nobody clicks hashtags, all you do is type in something in the search tab.

    If you had like 1,000+ followers that tweet would blow up.
    Clearly I'm not on twitter to be popular. lol That's just my source for quick NBA news, and personal reading material.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MUpaceSIC For This Useful Post:


  32. #25
    TRADE MONTA Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55 - Now, Then, Forever
    Posts
    7,827

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Media Experiment

    An "insider" has just retweeted your post.....

    Nobody ever said it had to be a blatant fake insider who nearly started World War III with Canada last year......
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •