Thread: Can We Talk about a Pacers' Window?

Default Can We Talk about a Pacers' Window?

At the beginning of the season, I, like everybody else, expected the Pacers to be a title contender. For a couple of years in a row they have been very good but fallen short. There is good reason to think that they are going to be very good again next year, even if we don't make any big roster moves. So is it appropriate to start talking about a window for the Pacers. We've watched good teams over the years, teams that, had things been a little different, win a championship. A few recent candidates that come to mind are the Ewing Knicks, the Malone Jazz, the Webber Kings, the Wallace Blazers, and the old Pacers. All of these teams came up against a team or two that they just couldn't beat, no matter much other success they had.

All those teams had other things in common: important pieces that were coming to the end of the careers (or at least their best days) or a contract armegeddon that they couldn't avoid. Every collection of guys has a window. When will ours? Some options:

1. It already has. We will miss Reggie far more than we know, our main guys keep getting injured, and Ronnie will never be the player he seemed like he could become. We're stuck in a contract situation where it's going to be tough to improve our team more than at the margins. This team is going to keep sneaking into the playoffs (like it has 3 of the last four years) but never really contend again.

2. We will contend for years, possibly even be the next great sports dynasty. We could have won a title either of the last two years if our guys had been healthy and on the floor. Besides, our starters (Jermaine, Steve, Jamal, and Ronnie) could easily be playing together for 6-8 years. Their contracts are locked in and few will demand big increases for various reasons. And, to top it off, we have several young reserves that seem to be on the verge of breaking it big. And if not, we have a lot of money coming off the books in the next couple of years that can upgrade our roster in various ways. This window is WIDE open.

3. 2-3 years. I really don't see any reason why we can't compete at a very, very high level next year barring further injury. Maybe we've gotten a little bad luck out of our systems and are ready for a run. All of our main guys are locked in for years, and we have a lot of real flexibility to upgrade. We aren't going to bring in a superstar, but we don't need to compete for a championship. Our main guys are entering their prime, and no big contracts will need to be reworked for a few years. If we haven't won by then, Bird is going to start looking to the future and dealing.

Default Re: Can We Talk about a Pacers' Window?

Your guys are young enough that 4-5 years as a window isn't out of the question. Could even be longer depending on how well you do re-signing people.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Let me say that things can change in a very short period of time, dumb trades, injuries
    chemistry problems can all destroy a team. So nothing is certain. But if things stay on the current path, the Pacers most important players are just now reaching their primes, and now they have enough experience, they aren't going away

Things have to be tweaked every year though. Honestly, players start to get bored or wear on each other if they consistantly fall short. They need some new spark to get them going every year.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think the current roster will continue to be tweaked and the Pacers as a team will probably be contenders for at least the next 3-4 years.

We may not even have more than 2 of our current starters by the time we do it, but I really do believe that the Pacers will grab a title in the next 5 seasons.

I like number 2 with a slight modification. I do not like the term dynasty.

Yes, I believe we will be a contender for years and maybe win a title or two but until a team can win 4-6 titles in a row they are not a dynasty.

I would rather be the hammer than the nail

Here is a scenario... Reggie's departure could create a vacuum effect with players freed up to bicker amongst themselves over who is 'da man'.

JO "I'm the leader because my contract says so by the numbers"

Artest "I'm the MVP of the league"

Sjax "When there needs to be a big shot I want to take it. I took them in San Antonio and have the ring to show for it"

Tinsley "I need to score more now that Reggie is gone so we need my backcourt shooting"

John Edwards "zzzzzzzzzzzzz"

11/19 strained the team and brought question marks. Next season coach Carlisle will have his work cut out for him to pull everyone together again and establish a pecking order that will work. If JO plays like he did this season (pre injury or post injury) then I predict troubles. He will have to trust his teammates or there will be trouble. He will really need to raise his game and oncourt demeanor.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden