Thread: Scot Pollard-- a question for those that know

NewYawk

Default Scot Pollard-- a question for those that know

I'll perface thyis by sayng I've only watched a handful of Pacer games this year (sidenote-- Dear ESPN: Last I checked, the best team in the NBA is the Indiana Pacers. Perhaps it would be prudent to actually SHOW more games that feature the Pacers rather than show, say, the Lakers and the Nets. Nobody watched those games when they were in the Finals. Why would they watch them now, sans Kobe and Jason? Get a clue, and start showing games people would actually care to see-- like Denver-Indy last night. Thanks. ).

Anyway, question-- What the heck is up with Scot Pollard? I know, I know. This question has been asked by just about everyone and his mother. But what has happened to this guy? He was a strong, active defender in Sac-town. He rebounded well, guarded well, and was an excellent passer. Now, he seems a shell of his former self. What happened?

Default Re: Scot Pollard-- a question for those that know

Two words: Playing Time

actually Three: Lack o' Playing Time

Scot has been playing better lately though, and most of us Pacer fans beleive he will be a great asset in the playoffs.

I think the Kings offense makes people look better than they actually are - fast-paced, easy transition baskets and passing out the post is a key part of their offense which makes their bigs look even better. Also, having a penetrating point guard makes other defenses scramble which allows their bigs to get in good position for put backs and offensive rebounds. Is it a coincidence that Miller, Webber and Divac are considered good to great passers out of the post?

Scot did not have a post game to speak of in Sacramento nor does he here. In this style of offense, you've got to have a couple of moves or you're not going to be effective simply due to other teams packing it in and laying off our shooters.

I've been more disappointed by his defense and rebounding more than anything else. I thought that would be something that he could contribute w/ more than he has. I'm thinking of Pollard as a big body w/ six fouls and not much else at this point.

oops

I think the Kings offense makes people look better than they actually are - fast-paced, easy transition baskets and passing out the post is a key part of their offense which makes their bigs look even better. Also, having a penetrating point guard makes other defenses scramble which allows their bigs to get in good position for put backs and offensive rebounds. Is it a coincidence that Miller, Webber and Divac are considered good to great passers out of the post?

Scot did not have a post game to speak of in Sacramento nor does he here. In this style of offense, you've got to have a couple of moves or you're not going to be effective simply due to other teams packing it in and laying off our shooters.

I've been more disappointed by his defense and rebounding more than anything else. I thought that would be something that he could contribute w/ more than he has. I'm thinking of Pollard as a big body w/ six fouls and not much else at this point.

Good point about the Kings offense making players look good.

I do think Pollard is the pacers best low post defender against the bigger players. For example if the pacers play the cavs in the first round Pollard will be valuable defending Z. Pollard defended Duncan very well also.

One other thing Pollard missed most of the season last year, I wonder if that and lack of playing time has caused a little rust

UB, the only way Scot would be a better defender than JO is if JO is in foul trouble and becomes tentative. Pollard takes more hacks than my friends who smoke. I usually agree with most of yer assessments, but that one made me go HUH?

UB, the only way Scot would be a better defender than JO is if JO is in foul trouble and becomes tentative. Pollard takes more hacks than my friends who smoke. I usually agree with most of yer assessments, but that one made me go HUH?

I am talking about one-on-one low post defense against the big centers. There might be only 2 or 3 guys in the league I am talking about. Shaw, Z and there has to be someone else.

I don't consider J.O a very good low post one-on-one defender. He is great at help defense

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't consider J.O a very good low post one-on-one defender. He is great at help defense
    Interesting...

I think he's a better post defender than at 'help' defense, even if he does block more shots as a 'help' defender. In fact, I think he's a pretty good post defender - the two or three guys he can't handle in the post are guys that only Shaq can handle anyway, or Shaq himself.

Everyone else may get bored with this conversation pretty quickly, but where do you think JO needs to improve his low post defense?

I'll acknowledge that he rebounds better - individually - when he's the 'help' defender but the team is better overall when he's the primary post defender and Jeff, Ron, Al and Tinsley pick up the slack on the rebounds. In fact, that's why I think he's more likely to have a 30-10 game than a 20-20 game this season.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

I'll perface thyis by sayng I've only watched a handful of Pacer games this year (sidenote-- Dear ESPN: Last I checked, the best team in the NBA is the Indiana Pacers. Perhaps it would be prudent to actually SHOW more games that feature the Pacers rather than show, say, the Lakers and the Nets. Nobody watched those games when they were in the Finals. Why would they watch them now, sans Kobe and Jason? Get a clue, and start showing games people would actually care to see-- like Denver-Indy last night. Thanks. )....
    I actually heard an announcer on ESPN Radio say today that "the Kings have the best record in the NBA, 2 games ahead of 2nd place Minnesota."

WTF? I'm all for the media overlooking this team, I think it helps them, but come on. Maybe the guys meant 'best record in the West' but somehow I don't think so.

As for Pollard, I've said for a while now that his benefit to this team will be seen in the playoffs, especially against the bigger centers.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

I think he is a very good low post defender, but he is still a better help defender. JO sometimes has trouble against more physical post players, and so he resorts to fouling occasionally. But as far as help D, he is exceptional.

In order to improve I think it's all about positioning. He needs to be in better position when he is defending, as in not being so close to the net. Keep the offensive player away from the basket. If possible.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I think of Scot as more like 6 fouls for shaq should we happen to meet them in finals. I imagine Shaq is one of those 3 you were talkin about.

Scot is very tenacious though, he dives for balls and hustles for board usually, He is very useful when Jeff or JO get in foul trouble. I'm not gonna say he is just a former shell of himself. BUT the guy just hacks all the time, even when he doesnt have to. Arms straight up in good position, then he just HAS to bring them down all over the guys face everytime...

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Interesting...

I think he's a better post defender than at 'help' defense, even if he does block more shots as a 'help' defender. In fact, I think he's a pretty good post defender - the two or three guys he can't handle in the post are guys that only Shaq can handle anyway, or Shaq himself.

Everyone else may get bored with this conversation pretty quickly, but where do you think JO needs to improve his low post defense?

I'll acknowledge that he rebounds better - individually - when he's the 'help' defender but the team is better overall when he's the primary post defender and Jeff, Ron, Al and Tinsley pick up the slack on the rebounds. In fact, that's why I think he's more likely to have a 30-10 game than a 20-20 game this season.
    I personally think JO needs to improve his lower body. We discussed this last week in a different thread and JO has added muscle in his upper body and he needs to the same down low. I think he gets pushed around and knocked out of position by a bigger player. I also believe he is a better defender 'help' defense, but most shot blockers are.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Just speculation, but I think that Pollard's back injury did not heal properly.

I have watched quite a bit of Sacramento basketball over the years, since I think that they are entertaining to watch.

Pollard fit into their style, but the Pollard I saw in years past was a quicker leaper, moved his feet better, and was more assertive in evry aspect of the game.

In my opinion he is not 100%. Maybe he never will be (back injuries can rob you of most skills, ala Larry Johnson).

I think that he got enough playing time in camp, in exhibition games, and in the 1st couple of weeks of the season to know that the new Pollard ain't the old Pollard.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

I am talking about one-on-one low post defense against the big centers. There might be only 2 or 3 guys in the league I am talking about. Shaw, Z and there has to be someone else.
    Dampier's another one that JO had problems with both offensively and defensively.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

I personally think JO needs to improve his lower body. We discussed this last week in a different thread and JO has added muscle in his upper body and he needs to the same down low. I think he gets pushed around and knocked out of position by a bigger player. I also believe he is a better defender 'help' defense, but most shot blockers are.
    I think that the 'leverage' issue we discussed last week affects him more on the offensive end than the defensive end.

I also think that when a 'help' defender blocks a shot its one of the most overrated skills in basketball - because that means the defense broke down somewhere else. If the shot is blocked, then 'shame' on the offensive player for not making the pass to his now wide-open teammate that is supposed to be cutting to the basket.

In the grand scheme of things, I still believe our team defense is better with JO as the primary post defender. We've got plenty of PFs that cannot be the primary post defender because they're entirely too light - Foster, Harrington, Bender - and these guys aren't that much worse than JO as the 'help' defender (Bender, in particular, is pretty good at this because of his length.) JO's first year in Indy he weighed about 220 lbs, but he's much closer to 250 now. Yes, I'd like to see him at 255-260, but he's young and he'll continue to fill out over the next couple of years - this is pretty common phenomena for a young post player in the NBA.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Dampier's another one that JO had problems with both offensively and defensively.
    that's odd, i thought j.o. torched the warriors in our second to the last game with them with damp defending, that's why they went back to cliffy as the j.o. stopper in the last game.

to be fair though, j.o.'s jumper was hot that game.

Jay I don't agree with you and you know what the Pacers coaching staff does not agree with you either.

Think about it, when the pacers play against the following players, in each case Foster guards these players.

Brand
    Duncan
    Garnett
    You'll see Jeff guarding Sheed

With very very few exceptions Jeff always guards the better low post offensive player. That is partly because Jeff is rather good at it.

J.O has improved his low post defense, a couple of seasons ago it was horrible, now it is average

Pollard doesn't have it any more IMO - not like he used to.

He used to be almost a Jeff Foster clone, but stronger. Diving all over the place, just sort of disrupting everything the other team tried to do. He had very quick hands and feet.

He still is a pretty solid low-post position player but the quick feet and jumping ability seem gone - and he never seems to dive on the floor.

Maybe he can get it back next season - he is coming off an injury last season and I like to give him a full year to recover - but he doesn't resemble the player he was in Sacto.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

that's odd, i thought j.o. torched the warriors in our second to the last game with them with damp defending, that's why they went back to cliffy as the j.o. stopper in the last game.

to be fair though, j.o.'s jumper was hot that game.
    You're right - must of been thinking of the first game w/ GS. JO did guard Dampier some in the post especially in the 1st quarter and Dampier was having his way w/ him. For whatever reason GS started settling for jumpers and rarely went back to him.

I still believe Pollards best days are ahead for the Pacers - in the playoffs.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

I don't know if Pollard is the player he once was... for whatever reason...it just hasn't happened for him here....yet.

He'll be a situational player... like matching up against Z in Cleveland or Magloire in NO...or if we need some fouls to give.

He's seems much slower and plodding than he once was...